NailBuster

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: YES

Posted 01 April 2018 - 04:36 AM

Is there a picture of what the 3d printed version looks like? I don't see the picture of it anywhere and can't open an .stl file to see the drawing of it.

https://www.viewstl.com/

try that with the stl

Edited by NailBuster, 01 April 2018 - 04:37 AM.

#62 cmiller1

cmiller1

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Goonies

Posted 03 April 2018 - 01:29 AM

Very nice thank you for the help.

#63 cmiller1

cmiller1

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 06:58 PM

Any idea what the height and length in mm? Just wanted to see how much it will cost me at the library to print this baby.

#64 bluemanuk

bluemanuk

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

• 360 Gamer Tag: bluemanuk

Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:06 PM

Hi there, here is a picture of the 3d printed plunger. 

The size is 150mm tall by about 35mm wide. 

Thanks to NailBusters software, this is all I have needed for the perfect pinball plunger. Now i can hit the skill shot on Tales of the Arabian Knights. 

You do need to make sure you smooth the edges on the slider and the housing to reduce the noise :)

Someone on facebook has asked me to do a video of the installation and setup so I will try and get round to this at the weekend. 

27867253_10155621925750432_1983924012350

Here is the link to the latest version which is now available on Thingiverse.

https://www.thingive...:2790298/#files

Edited by bluemanuk, 06 April 2018 - 09:04 PM.

#65 cmiller1

cmiller1

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:50 PM

Thanks so much for the information you and nailbuster rock! I had asked on Facebook for a vid. What's the chrome piece on the end? Oh now I see. That's a hose clamp yes?

Edited by cmiller1, 07 April 2018 - 12:16 AM.

#66 cmiller1

cmiller1

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:45 AM

Does the orientation of the mouse matter?

#67 NailBuster

NailBuster

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:05 PM

Mouse wire at 12 oclock position. Or wire at 9 oclock position is proper setup

#68 vihar

vihar

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

• Flag: Hungary

• Favorite Pinball: none so far, I'm a beginner :)

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:14 PM

Really nice idea and program! Thank you!

I managed to set it up, however it looks like the center of the axis is random. Sometimes it starts pulling the plunger on the right, then rather on the left.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Or is this going to cause any trouble when the mouse-plunger is in place?

Also, x360ce makes my original controller unusable, eg. there is no force feedback any more... Any chance to configure this with xpadder?

Edited by vihar, 06 June 2018 - 09:29 PM.

#69 NailBuster

NailBuster

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:44 PM

not sure i understand the left/right thing... it should just work, simple and auto-resets 0 after 500ms from last pull (something like that)

haven't used xpadder, but its just a 'normal' emulated joystick so don't see why it would work... let me know.

#70 vihar

vihar

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:07 PM

I meant that I expected that when I start moving the mouse it pulls the plunger immediately. Then I realized that the range is between -x and x so it should start from the screen center.

However, it looks like starting from different positions every time I try and always on the right.

I also tried playing with the settings but it got even worse.

#71 NailBuster

NailBuster

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 03:22 PM

what exactly is the problem you are having?  maybe show a picture of your setup to explain?

technically... my driver uses raw mouse movements (delta) so it doens't matter where on screen the mouse is( range -x and x???)...  and yes depending on setup if you move mouse to right then it will pull...

test will mouse in hand to understand how it works maybe...

let me know.

#72 pafcunha

pafcunha

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

• Flag: Portugal

• Favorite Pinball: Attack from Mars

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:20 PM

Hey NailBuster, i was thinking about using a mouse for analog nudging. What do you think about this? Would your app with some modifications be able to be used for this purpose?

Regards.

#73 NailBuster

NailBuster

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:29 PM

Hey NailBuster, i was thinking about using a mouse for analog nudging. What do you think about this? Would your app with some modifications be able to be used for this purpose?

Regards.

hmmm... do you have an idea/sample setup on how it would work in a cab?  

#74 vihar

vihar

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:41 PM

what exactly is the problem you are having?  maybe show a picture of your setup to explain?

technically... my driver uses raw mouse movements (delta) so it doens't matter where on screen the mouse is( range -x and x???)...  and yes depending on setup if you move mouse to right then it will pull...

test will mouse in hand to understand how it works maybe...

let me know.

Here is a screenshot to illustrate my problem: 

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

On first try the plunger started moving from line 1, after moving the mouse randomly it started pulling from line 2.

You must be right though, this should not make a difference in a cab.

However I found the distance to move the mouse to fully pull the plunger a bit short. Is there any way to tweak this?

Edited by vihar, 11 June 2018 - 07:12 PM.

#75 NailBuster

NailBuster

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:36 PM

the ini file has a few settings for speed and sensitivity....play with those values.

also,  try in vpx plunger first and make sure it is calibrated ok...  then move to fx3 where you can configure stuff in x360ce for fx3...but i used defaults and works ok. 

also,  moving mouse randomly?  if you have a two mice (plunger and mouse) moving at same time you may get that... but after each 'pull' of plunger its resets home position.  

#76 graveyardjohn

graveyardjohn

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Scared Stiff

Posted 02 July 2018 - 05:09 PM

Thank you for the utility! In conjunction with x360ce, I've had success with this for FX3, Pinball Arcade and Zaccaria Pinball. Took me a few hours to get there though!

What about Visual Pinball X though? Well.

I have a Microsoft Sidewinder Pro stripped and mounted within my Cab, used for physical nudging. This works for FX2/3, ZP, PBA and all the Visual Pinball versions I've tried so far. So far, so good.

The installation of VJoy pushed the device order 'down' the list of attached devices. Not a problem - I have set Windows to give the Sidewinder priority for 'legacy' apps, re-set JoyToKey for my second device to translate my cheap joystick board to keyboard presses for all other cab controls, and it's back to normal for everything.

To configure FX3, PBA and ZP to use the mouse/plunger controls, I needed to adjust my x360ce setup to 'Combine controllers' on each device, into 1 device (and also ticking on the 'combine' allowance in the 'Options' tab so they take effect). The two joystick devices now show on the same controller in x360ce. Saved the ini file and the dll with each FX3, PBA and ZP executables, and it works fine.

My problem for VP seems to be that it can't use the x360ce ini/direct input files, and setting the plunger to rYaxis will only work when it's pointed at the VJoy device number - but then the nudging won't be recognised.

So at the moment it's either nudge or plunger for VPX, unless anyone has seen a solution for this situation?

#77 NailBuster

NailBuster

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:25 AM

Thank you for the utility! In conjunction with x360ce, I've had success with this for FX3, Pinball Arcade and Zaccaria Pinball. Took me a few hours to get there though!

What about Visual Pinball X though? Well.

I have a Microsoft Sidewinder Pro stripped and mounted within my Cab, used for physical nudging. This works for FX2/3, ZP, PBA and all the Visual Pinball versions I've tried so far. So far, so good.

The installation of VJoy pushed the device order 'down' the list of attached devices. Not a problem - I have set Windows to give the Sidewinder priority for 'legacy' apps, re-set JoyToKey for my second device to translate my cheap joystick board to keyboard presses for all other cab controls, and it's back to normal for everything.

To configure FX3, PBA and ZP to use the mouse/plunger controls, I needed to adjust my x360ce setup to 'Combine controllers' on each device, into 1 device (and also ticking on the 'combine' allowance in the 'Options' tab so they take effect). The two joystick devices now show on the same controller in x360ce. Saved the ini file and the dll with each FX3, PBA and ZP executables, and it works fine.

My problem for VP seems to be that it can't use the x360ce ini/direct input files, and setting the plunger to rYaxis will only work when it's pointed at the VJoy device number - but then the nudging won't be recognised.

So at the moment it's either nudge or plunger for VPX, unless anyone has seen a solution for this situation?

seems like a 'mini' adventure getting it working with your side=winder and all those games :)

I know that others have tested and got both joysticks working with vpx with it...so they were able to have nudging and the plunger working.  how they did it I couldn't tell you...  

if i find the person that mentioned it working with their nudge I'll see if I can get more info for you.

#78 graveyardjohn

graveyardjohn

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Scared Stiff

Posted 04 July 2018 - 12:19 PM

That would be great if you can, thank you. I may post in the Visual Pinball feature request thread to see if x360ce and xinput_1.dll can be implemented in VP.

It could be perhaps useful for other scenarios too. x360 seems to work with lots of games I've played on Steam.

I don't know how hard it would be to integrate DirectInput calls into VP, though. I can only ask!

#79 Moosebox

Moosebox

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 25 July 2018 - 03:39 PM

Hi there, here is a picture of the 3d printed plunger. 

The size is 150mm tall by about 35mm wide. 

Thanks to NailBusters software, this is all I have needed for the perfect pinball plunger. Now i can hit the skill shot on Tales of the Arabian Knights. 

You do need to make sure you smooth the edges on the slider and the housing to reduce the noise :)

Someone on facebook has asked me to do a video of the installation and setup so I will try and get round to this at the weekend. 

27867253_10155621925750432_1983924012350

Here is the link to the latest version which is now available on Thingiverse.

https://www.thingive...:2790298/#files

Did you happen to make the video of the install? I'm a little confused how this 3D printed plunger interacts with the mouse setup, I might just need a simple explanation since it's not yet 'clicking' in my head.

#80 worrick69

worrick69

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

• Favorite Pinball: guns and roses

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:47 PM

Thank you Nailbuster for this outstanding idea, took me about an hour and have a working plunger finally. It was my last hurdle in cabinet. Disabled plunger in version 3 controller and everything works perfect. Thank you again 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: plunger