Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

The Machine - Bride of Pinbot (Williams 1991) VP10 WIP

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#101 BorgDog

BorgDog

We come in peace.. shoot to kill.. shoot to kill.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Alien Star, TNA

Posted 12 October 2016 - 03:14 AM

Overall looks and plays great!  Really liking this.

A few comments/suggestions:

To make it work better at different inclinations (get rid of gaps on sides):

• lower leftrail to z of 65
  • lower rightrail to z of 365
  • lower Ramp49 (lockdown bar) to height of 110

May also want to add Ramp49 (lockdown bar) to the script removals for FS view (lines 60-70)

When the ball is rolling back down the playfield from the pop bumper area it seems to catch a lot on smlGate messing up the flow of the game, did not see that in the videos I watched (did not watch them all).  Moving smlGate to the left a bit so it more lines up with the primitive seems to take care of that and has not caused any unwanted center drains from there in the time I've played it

It seems to me that the face is really dark compared to the rest of the table, like its in a dark hole or something.  See the comparison to the PAPA video (on the left), see how much more evenly lit that is.  edit. just went and looked at Laylow's videos a page and version or two back, it was much better then, something get turned off?

boppapa.jpg

Edited by BorgDog, 12 October 2016 - 03:18 AM.

#102 Ben Logan

Ben Logan

Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: System 11

Posted 12 October 2016 - 03:25 AM

Nice observations, Dark.

A few more to add:

* Love the way the ball now reflects all the little white lights surrounding the BOP's head when you lock a ball. Maybe it did that before (?) Boy does it look beautiful.

* Thanks for adding wireramp sound. Realism!

* Just noticed the rubbers on the upper playfield are animated. Really nice touch!

#103 dark

dark

3D model-man

• VIP
  • 1,936 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Star Wars, AbraCadaBra,MB, LAH,JPark...too many to choose!

Contributor

Posted 12 October 2016 - 03:40 AM

Gotta say though, that side by side comparison really shows how close to the real thing this rendition of BOP has become.

#104 RustyCardores

RustyCardores

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Flash, Playboy, Fishtales & Attack From Mars!

Posted 12 October 2016 - 03:42 AM

I'm so chuffed to be finally playing this on VPX... it's awesome work. Huge thanks.

One thing I would personally like to see, or should I say "hear" is a bump sound associated with the lower playfield rubbers.  Low bass "Bumps" like this make a huge difference to people like me that are using sound driven tactile feedback.  

Cheers again for the awesome work.

Edited by RustyCardores, 12 October 2016 - 03:46 AM.

Rusty Cardores (Russell Stewart) - Gold Coast, Australia

Twitterhttps://twitter.com/RustyPinball  |  Instagramhttps://www.instagra.../rusty.pinball/  |  Workhttp://www.australianlight.com.au (Australian Landscape Photography)

'SSF' - Get awesome VPX Surround Sound Tactile Feedback in your cab https://www.facebook...oups/SSFeedback/

'Virtual Topper' - It's cooler than you might think! Check out the pics on my Instagram.

#105 Ben Logan

Ben Logan

Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

• Favorite Pinball: System 11

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:36 AM

Gotta say though, that side by side comparison really shows how close to the real thing this rendition of BOP has become.

You guys' version looks better!

:D

#106 wrd1972

wrd1972

Authoring Padawan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 2,230 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Funhouse

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:23 AM

Borg,

The face lighting is actually still a WIP. I added a darker image because I thought the current one was too light. The screen grab you posted says otherwise.

And thanks for the real side-by-side. This is a tremendous new resource and I can easily dial things in a good deal better than they already are. I want to try to widen that shuttle ramp as well. This might address the concerns that have come in from the difficulties hitting it. Will fix that wire from the pop bumpers as well.

All of the others, thanks for the reponses. Consider them being implemented.

So one other thing I am going to start doing, is start evaluating visuals using a screen grab. Looking at the actual cab TV is very misleading.

Edited by wrd1972, 12 October 2016 - 10:25 AM.

My VP Pincab /MAME Arcade  Specs: Dell T3400 workstation with Core2 Quad core 3.0GHZ (Q9650) CPU - 8GB of RAM - Nvidia  GTX 970

40" PF Sony gaming LED TV, Dual 21" Dell monitors in the backbox - Pinscape dual boards - Full DOF - Full MAME arcade support.

#107 STAT

STAT

Pinball and Arcade Freak

• VIP
  • 4,970 posts

• Flag: Austria

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:53 AM

Attached File  bop_wow.PNG   224.59KB   15 downloads

#108 wrd1972

wrd1972

Authoring Padawan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 12:51 PM

Oh and I forgot to mention. Expect the side by side pic from Borg to look much more similar on the next go. :)

My VP Pincab /MAME Arcade  Specs: Dell T3400 workstation with Core2 Quad core 3.0GHZ (Q9650) CPU - 8GB of RAM - Nvidia  GTX 970

40" PF Sony gaming LED TV, Dual 21" Dell monitors in the backbox - Pinscape dual boards - Full DOF - Full MAME arcade support.

#109 dark

dark

3D model-man

• VIP
  • 1,936 posts

Contributor

Posted 12 October 2016 - 01:09 PM

I think you should probably keep in mind also that PAPA videos are generally fairly well lit which may not be a typical lighting environment for a pin, so if it's a bit darker I don't think that's such a bad thing.

#110 Drybonz

Drybonz

Really bad at pinball, but having fun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Theatre of Magic

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:14 PM

I think if the elements (face, playfield, etc) are balanced people will be able to adjust the "room lighting" to their taste with the day/night slider... but if the elements aren't matched for lighting it won't look right no matter what the position of the slider is.

#111 wrd1972

wrd1972

Authoring Padawan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:38 PM

The issue with the face is fixed. In FS mode, the face was fine..but too dark in DT mode. Cant explain that one but I now have a brighter second image that will be used in DT mode. Right now, I dont think things are completely balanced because when I turned the slider up, things got super bright and a little disorderly. Addressing the lighting balances is on the list of to-dos.

#112 vampirolatino2

vampirolatino2

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

• Flag: Spain

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:51 PM

Thanks for your hard work!

#113 dark

dark

3D model-man

• VIP
  • 1,936 posts

Contributor

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:52 PM

I think if the elements (face, playfield, etc) are balanced people will be able to adjust the "room lighting" to their taste with the day/night slider... but if the elements aren't matched for lighting it won't look right no matter what the position of the slider is.

Well said.

The issue with the face is fixed. In FS mode, the face was fine..but too dark in DT mode. Cant explain that one but I now have a brighter second image that will be used in DT mode. Right now, I dont think things are completely balanced because when I turned the slider up, things got super bright and a little disorderly. Addressing the lighting balances is on the list of to-dos.

This sounds like it could be due to the environment map lighting, which we don't have much control over.  Maybe adjusting the material to have more or less effect from the environment lighting would help.  I know I read recently in the vpx beta thread that you can swap materials, maybe have it swap material and or texture for the DT view if it keeps giving you trouble in this regard.

#114 wrd1972

wrd1972

Authoring Padawan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:06 PM

Thats what I did, an image swap based on DT or FS mode. Looks real good now.

#115 Drybonz

Drybonz

Really bad at pinball, but having fun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Theatre of Magic

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:16 PM

This is just beta feedback, and again, not a problem with the table in any way... just 100% personal preference observation, etc... so please feel free to disregard or throw in the ring with the rest of the feedback...

I'm comparing beta 1 to beta 3... specifically the blacked out table inserts, and I understand this was done intentionally, but I feel like I like the visible "dim" inserts from beta 1.  This may just be because it is what I'm used to seeing on tables, but I think I like seeing the inserts even when the backlight is off.

#116 flupper1

flupper1

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: Visual Pinball

Contributor

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:47 PM

@Drybonz: easy to change: change the basecolor of material "pf lights" to 128,128,128 or something like that.

could be personal preference but for night mod:

- night>day cycle all the way to the left

- env. emission scale set to 1 (or maybe even 0,5)

- basecolor of material "pf lights" to 35,35,35

- bloom strength to 0,6

Looks very nice on my cab...

Edited by flupper1, 12 October 2016 - 07:59 PM.

#117 hauntfreaks

hauntfreaks

Real 4K Tables Since 2013

• VIP
  • 2,515 posts

• Favorite Pinball: -<3<3<3 All Real Pins

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:52 PM

as for the papa and current beta... it just needs to be a happy medium... because like Dark pointed out those papa videos are meant to be about to see the ball at all times, like a well lit kiddyland arcade in the 70's

26794541816_30ca1cca80_o.gif 43109635392_fc11af1a57_o.gif

#118 BorgDog

BorgDog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:11 PM

I think dark had it right though, it's definitely the environment image/lighting that is causing the issue for DT views.  that it is a totally different looking table when in DT vs FS is an issue in my mind.  It's almost like the light source or image are fixed relative to room, and rotating the cabinet gives it different lighting effects, when what we are really doing is not rotating the cabinet in the room (environment), but changing our viewpoint of the table. the lighting on the table should not change because of that, maybe a little, but not that much.  Having to resort to totally separate images to get the same effect shouldn't be happening.  again imho

edit:  this definitely explains however why when I'm building tables they look way different on my laptop or desktop vs on my cab.

Edited by BorgDog, 12 October 2016 - 08:13 PM.

#119 hauntfreaks

hauntfreaks

Real 4K Tables Since 2013

• VIP
  • 2,515 posts

• Favorite Pinball: -<3<3<3 All Real Pins

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:17 PM

I think sometimes in DT its like you're viewing the lights on horizontal plan, I think this is because the lights are flat like a gel filter not a ball of light , like real light is... 

so when you looking down at the tables in FS, youre looking thru the light filter and DT you looking at the light as if the edge of a piece of paper.... I could be 100% off on this theory 

26794541816_30ca1cca80_o.gif 43109635392_fc11af1a57_o.gif

#120 BorgDog

BorgDog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:21 PM

I agree, but I think in this case there are no lights that are lighting that area, it's just the environment.