• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Johngreve

Johngreve

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 327 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Star Wars TESB (sound mod),Pinball Magic,Ghostbusters,Dozers AFM,VPX table of Indiana Jones the Pinball Adventure

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:41 PM

Hello all,
I have a couple of questions maybe some of you can help me with.....
I've recently added a table that suggested deleting the Nvram file for that table to reset the ROM.

What exactly is the procedure to do this? The reason I ask is that after deleting the Nvram file for that table the table stopped booting up,very much like if you do not have the correct rom for the table in your ROMs folder. The playfield and backglass loaded up properly when I tried to play the table but I couldn't add credits to start and play the table. The DMD display gave me a message that everything had been reset however I couldn't start the game.
I was under the impression you just delete the file and away you go.....I'm assuming that the file is updated ever time you leave that table?
Also, what all is stored on the Nvram.....basically all the operator game adjustments like number of balls,difficulty settings and the like? High scores too I imagine?
Is it possible to open that file up with Notepad or some other file and make changes rather than deleting everything?
Thanks!

#2 ta2686

ta2686

Retired ROM Settings Guru

• VIP
  • 2,324 posts

• Favorite Pinball: ONE THAT WORKS!

Contributor

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:54 PM

If it is a Bally 6803 table or a Gottlieb System 3 table, you would need to download and extract the pre-configured nvrams for those tables. 

Go to the menu bar at the top of the forum page, click Getting Started and under Essentials Files click on bally_6803_gts3_nvrams to take you to the download page.

If it is not one of those tables, please post the name of the table so we can do further research.

To answer what the nvram contains - yes it contains all of the adjustments that are made via the rom menu (i.e. number of balls, high scores, difficulty levels, etc.)

Need to set or reset replay levels on a particular table? These guides will help you:

For Non-DMD tables: Guide to reset replay levels on non-DMD tables

For DMD tables: Guide to set replay levels on DMD tables

Need to change the number of balls per game on a particular table? These guides will help you:

For Non-DMD tables: Guide to set number of balls per game on non-DMD tables

For DMD tables: Guide to set number of balls per game on DMD tables

Need to adjust the volume on DMD based tables? This guide will help you:

Guide to adjust volume on DMD tables

An alphabetical listing of VPM emulated tables with their MPU and links to their specific replay level, balls per game and volume adjustment procedures can be downloaded as an Excel spreadsheet from this link:

Excel Spreadsheet of VPM emulated tables

#3 Johngreve

Johngreve

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 327 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Star Wars TESB (sound mod),Pinball Magic,Ghostbusters,Dozers AFM,VPX table of Indiana Jones the Pinball Adventure

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:55 PM

Thanks ta2686,
The table is Ninuzzus VP10 version of Theatre of Magic which appears to only be available on his website.

#4 ta2686

ta2686

• VIP
  • 2,324 posts

Contributor

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:57 PM

What message is being displayed in the DMD (or what is the error message you are getting) then?

Need to set or reset replay levels on a particular table? These guides will help you:

Need to change the number of balls per game on a particular table? These guides will help you:

An alphabetical listing of VPM emulated tables with their MPU and links to their specific replay level, balls per game and volume adjustment procedures can be downloaded as an Excel spreadsheet from this link:

#5 Johngreve

Johngreve

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 327 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:00 PM

Well after deleting the Nvram and I loaded up the table the DMD said "Factory settings restored" however I couldn't add credits or start the game

#6 ta2686

ta2686

• VIP
  • 2,324 posts

Contributor

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:01 PM

Try pressing F3 then (or close and re-enter the table).

#7 Johngreve

Johngreve

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 327 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:13 PM

I did close and enter the table with the same result......that's why I was wondering if when instructed to delete the Nvram I had done something incorrectly because I was expecting the game to load up as before.
After I experienced this I went into my recycle bin and restored the Nvram folder and tried it again but this time when I tried to load up the table I got the "check ROM path " error.....after thinking about that a bit I realized that that error was caused by me changing the game To a different ROM in the script options. I changed it back and it works now.

So my question remains,is this the proper way to delete the Nvram folder.......a table should still boot after doing this? Except maybe for the Bally tables you mentioned?

Edit: Hey Ta2686...slightly off topic but I got a real kick out of your George Carlin "Class Clown" avatar.
I remember buying that 8 track tape of his back in 1971-72 ish.Havent thought about that in a long time.
Those were the days....

Edited by Johngreve, 14 August 2016 - 09:21 PM.

#8 ta2686

ta2686

• VIP
  • 2,324 posts

Contributor

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:20 PM

When you change the rom it would be looking for a different nvram.  Each rom has its own nvram.

If you delete the nvram for that rom it should create a new nvram when you enter the table for the first time.  In this case when the new nvram is created you will get the Factory Settings Restored message and you either have to press F3 or close and re-enter the table to get it to function properly.  The WPC tables seem to work this way.

#9 Carny_Priest

Carny_Priest

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

• Favorite Pinball: EATPM

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:22 PM

You need to read the release thread. He mentions how to overcome start-up errors. Either do what he says to do, or use a non-prototype rom.

#10 Johngreve

Johngreve

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 327 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:31 PM

Ok.....thanks for the info!
I'll play around with this a bit more then.
I forgot to ask.....if a table doesn't store and hold your high scores properly, meaning if you leave the game then reload it again and your high scores are gone is there anything that I can do about that?

Love your avatar,btw.....
Thanks CarneyPriest.....I did read the release notes .....more than once actually,but I'll go back and do it again....perhaps I missed something or something didn't "click" with me.
I was thinking my questions about deleting Nvram were generic and applied evenly across all the tables.

#11 Carny_Priest

Carny_Priest

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:53 PM

Yeah, it's in the support thread:

"Ok, let me explain some things, some of them are already explained in the download description, but since they are in italian, you maybe won’t understand everything.

I choosed rom 1.4 because it controls 2 extra solenoids (present only in prototypes) used for the Center Post and the Tiger Saw. In order to play with rom 1.4, you need to load the table, press F1 and enable “Skip Pinball Start Up Test”: you need to do it only one time."

#12 Johngreve

Johngreve

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 327 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:08 PM

I did see all that and that is why I used the recommended ROM (1.4)and why I deleted the Nvram file.( he recommended this be done)
I also did the" Skip startup test"that he mentions is required.

Everything played just great prior to deleting the Nvram.I deleted the Nvram after I played the table a while cause He said it may cause problems with the hat mod working properly.Though I believe the mod was working correctly but couldn't be sure cause I wasn't sure what to expect.
I just didn't understand why after deleting the Nvram that the table wouldn't play, still don't actually unless your seeing and understanding something there that I don't.
I think that I'll leave well enough alone.

Thanks for jumping in here.Always grateful for any help.

#13 Carny_Priest

Carny_Priest

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:19 PM

If you have not used the 1.4 rom before, VPM would generate a new nvram for it. All new high scores, etc. I'm not sure why it would not start with the hat mod. I did not delete my nvram for the 1.4 rom prior to using the hat mod, but everything appears to work OK for me. I am using the rom version that takes credits and is not free play.

#14 Johngreve

Johngreve

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 327 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:37 PM

ROM 1.4 is the only one that I've used and like you I believe that it is working just fine without deleting the Nvram. It is the Rom that requires credits to play.
Correct me if I am wrong, but if I have credits on the table, close out and reload the table,the credits should still be there right?along with the high scores that I've generated,right? That's not happening here for me. The scores that I've generated and the credits that were there when I left the table are gone upon reloading the table. Not a big deal but don't really know why...it would be nice if the scores were saved though.

I'll just leave it alone.....the only reason I went back and did that was because he recommended doing so.

#15 Carny_Priest

Carny_Priest

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 11:11 PM

There are two 1.4 roms: tom_14h and tom_14hb. This is configurable through a user options flag in the script. Are you sure that you are using the one you intended? There are also two tables that they have released, A standard table and the hat mod. Both came published with support for one or the other of the 1.4 roms. I think if the nvram was being erased or something then you would notice it for sure. You'd have to reset the volume every time you started it up.

#16 Johngreve

Johngreve

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 327 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 11:24 PM

Hmmmm......I'm going to have to go back and check on the 1.4 rom that I am using. I can't be sure till I check.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll report back after I make sure that I am using the correct rom for the hat mod table.
Thanks again!

#17 Brer Frog

Brer Frog

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Funhouse, Attack From Mars, Medieval Madness

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:19 AM

To answer what the nvram contains - yes it contains all of the adjustments that are made via the rom menu (i.e. number of balls, high scores, difficulty levels, etc.)

I'm thinking about resetting high scores & read instructions & it seems it requires multiple steps via ROM adjustments. Instead is there a way to directly edit nvram to accomplish the same thing? I've looked at some nvram files & they didn't look to be in any simple format. Is there perhaps an editing program that lets you reset things?

#18 Johngreve

Johngreve

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 327 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 12:54 PM

I checked and I am indeed using the correct one......I'm using tom_14hb. In the script at the options at the top of the script line 23 if you select 0 that selects this rom as can be seen further down in the script.....like line 1682. If you choose option 1 at the script options this selects rom tom_14h which can be seen down in the script on line 1683.
Knowing I am using the correct rom and the high scores are not saved what can I do to get it to do so? Delete the Nvram? Anything else? I guess I could download the other rom and try that.....

This isn't the only table that I've noticed the high scores disappear from....that seems to be a common occurrence on my cabinet. I think the volume levels are staying saved but I'd really have to log that and go back and check to be sure. I do know that the number of balls on certain tables keep reverting back to three rather than the 5 I have most tables set to. I always have to go back and change this again.

Not sure what else I can do with this.....anyone else have any suggestions ?