#1 Pete248

Pete248

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 58 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: LOTR

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:38 AM

Hello to everyone. I'm following the forum for quite some time but this is my first post here. :)

I've set up a new machine with a clean installation of Windows 10 and installed VP via the Megainstaller plus PinballX.

A few questions concerning recommended folder structure, compatibility mode and whether to run exes as Administrator:

Default location for the Visual Pinball folder is C:\Program Files (x86) and for the PinballX folder it is C:\ root.

I've read a few comments that you should not install it into C:\Program Files (x86) nor in C:\ root, but don't understand why I should not. I assume it has to do with Windows treating this folder special.

Is this recommendation still valid for Windows 10?

Given I have only one C:\ volume, where should I install the Visual Pinball folder instead.

Is the same true for PinballX?

Probably everything pinball related should be inside a folder called Pinball. Where to put it?

Next question is about running the VP (and probably other; which ?) exes as Administrator and setting any compatibility mode.

Some posts here recommend to set all exes to run as Administrator and set compatibility to Windows 7 or 8.

Others say that is no more needed for more than a year. Hmm, has Windows progressed in the last year to make these recommendations obsolete now? I assume older VP exes havn't seen any updates in the last year, so they should behave the same as a year ago.

Maybe some recommendations are just outdated or are only needed for Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Final question is about Defender in Windows 10, which sometimes interferes with VP. Shall I disable it completely or just set exceptions for all the pinball related stuff? Is it sufficient to set an exception for the top Pinball folder or do I have to set exceptions for every exe?

Running the Cab completely off-line is not an option, as I might add Pinball FX2 and Pinball Arcade to the mix later and they need an online connection to Steam.

I would like to start with the correct folder layout and settings from the beginning and not build on outdated recommendations that are no more valid in Windows 10.

Any tips how to set up a new installation on Windows 10 are appreciated.

Pete

Edited by Pete248, 20 June 2016 - 12:57 PM.

#2 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,720 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: M M

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:15 PM

I run Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7
Mine is set up with all programs on the root Drive, no compatibility modes and I don't believe I use administrator On any of the programs

As far as Defender I don't have any problems with it, if you do then set up exceptions

Edited by Outhere, 17 April 2017 - 01:50 PM.

#3 mrangrygrandpa

mrangrygrandpa

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:37 PM

I've recently dealt with this exact issue. I initially set up VP in the default directory and later learned that it wasn't recommended. I am also running Windows 10.

I ran into permissions issues and various other troubles. Basically every table I downloaded, I needed to modify the scripts to add the backglass and it would fail in saving. I had to go into the tables folder and modify the user settings via Windows Properties. Then after that was taken care of, I could read/write to the tables. Later, I ran into a controller issue and found out that VP needed to create a file and permission issues were also causing it issues. I don't even remember how I found out that a file was supposed to be created, because it would just error and not give me any indication that is what it was trying to do.

After I ran into these issues and saw the recommendations from other forum users, I went and uninstalled VP and reinstalled it in a C:\Games\Visual Pinball\ directory. I haven't had any issues with it in the new directory.

I can't recall what settings, if any, that I made to run in compatibility mode. I do know that I've had to run a few things as admin. If there is a way to default it to run as admin, I would try that.

I haven't messed with Windows Defender since it hasn't thrown any issues at me.

#4 Umpa

Umpa

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 737 posts

• Favorite Pinball: AC/DC

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:42 PM

Only thing I did on mine was right click on the .dlls and checked unblock

Only thing I did on mine was right click on the .dlls and checked unblock

I think .exe as well

#5 laylow

laylow

VP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: 1978 >

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:07 PM

Just change your windows account to administrator!

http://www.softwareo...indows-8&faq=85

#6 sliderpoint

sliderpoint

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Metallica

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:45 PM

Don't install into program files.   Install into the root of C:\.  ie: C:\Visual Pinball or something.  I believe the newest version of the all in one installer does this.  Installed in that location there is no need to run as administrator.   The only thing to make sure if that you "unblock" any files you download before running them or copying them to your installed folders.

-Mike

#7 Pete248

Pete248

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 58 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: LOTR

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:46 AM

Thank you for your input.

I tend to use an approach like mrangrygrandpa suggested with installing everything into C:\games

laylow's tip with setting the windows account to administrator is interesting too but probably not necessary with the VP folder in C:\games and it makes the whole system more insecure. But I keep the tip in mind in case I still run into any permission issues with the C:\games approach.

I'd then neither set any exe to run as administrator nor enable any compatibility mode unless I run into any troubles.

I'll keep you informed how this plan worked out further along the line.

Edited by Pete248, 21 June 2016 - 09:49 AM.

#8 VPv1rgin

VPv1rgin

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Attack from mars

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:10 PM

This is my first post and I am new to VP. But I've got about 70 hours already into programming my 70 pinball tables thus far. Learning as I go :)

Sorry to bring back a new topic, but I am having the same problem as the original poster.  I just added a PINDMD3 to my setup (that was working fine before) and now in order to play any table, I have to click the playfield first. I cant add coins, hit start or anything until i click anywhere on the playfield. I think I have something clicked somewhere. I downloaded Visual pinball Jan 6th and everything is in its correct folder. Local C disc: > Visual Pinball folder> where everything is stored.  I am also running my computer as an ADMIN. I can turn cabinet mode off, turn off use external DMD and then re check the (Show dmd/display window) box and everything works great... but now i have no DMD

I think I have narrowed the problem down. The DMD used to load in front of the playfield and also on the PIN DMD3. I had to click on the playfield and the playfield lights woujld light up, the playfield DMD would go behind the playfield and everything worked fine. But the DMD was still on in the background behind playfield. 

So maybe its still there? causing issues? I just cant figure this out. Why do I have to click on the playfield in order to get the game to work. Side note: Medieval Madness play perfectly fine, and Indiana Jones. Its got to be a setting somewhere?

#9 BigHein

BigHein

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone

Posted 06 February 2018 - 04:26 PM

Put vpinball on  D:\ if you have D or make one

if windows crasches you wil never lose al of your tables and roms

#10 VPv1rgin

VPv1rgin

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Attack from mars

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:52 PM

Ive read that I need to put the table into "force full screen mode" and then change the ddraw. Problem is I cant find the rom registry adn where to change DDraw. I feel like an idiot. 

#11 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,720 posts

• Favorite Pinball: M M

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:45 PM

In windows registry

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Freeware\Visual PinMame

More info

http://www.vpforums....als&article=136

Edited by Outhere, 06 February 2018 - 11:49 PM.

#12 Shockman

Shockman

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,716 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Star Trek

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:59 AM

My main VP and VPM folders are actually in a pinball folder in a games folder right on my desktop, along with everything else pinball. Everything that gives you an option on where to install it should be installed outside the programs folders. The only problem I have had doing that is with one steam game, actually a manager for New Retro Arcade Neon ( VR. Pretty cool, but the damned thing has no, and no support for pinball ) that assumes it's in the default location though it gave the option to install anywhere.

#13 MalikyeMoon

MalikyeMoon

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

• Favorite Pinball: That's a tough one!

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:06 PM

Here are a few answers:

If you use the program files folder, the path is quite long, and it can cause issues in Windows 7+.

If you drop a VP folder in the root of your drive (C:/), it generally requires admin privileges to read/write/exe to folders in the root as a security permission.  You won't see this if you use folders that have different security designations, like the Games folder.

Depending on where you put your files, you may or may not have to change directory permissions. Right click, properties, security and permissions on each parent folder, and probably some of the child directories.

This is my first post and I am new to VP. But I've got about 70 hours already into programming my 70 pinball tables thus far. Learning as I go :)

Sorry to bring back a new topic, but I am having the same problem as the original poster.  I just added a PINDMD3 to my setup (that was working fine before) and now in order to play any table, I have to click the playfield first. I cant add coins, hit start or anything until i click anywhere on the playfield. I think I have something clicked somewhere. I downloaded Visual pinball Jan 6th and everything is in its correct folder. Local C disc: > Visual Pinball folder> where everything is stored.  I am also running my computer as an ADMIN. I can turn cabinet mode off, turn off use external DMD and then re check the (Show dmd/display window) box and everything works great... but now i have no DMD

I think I have narrowed the problem down. The DMD used to load in front of the playfield and also on the PIN DMD3. I had to click on the playfield and the playfield lights woujld light up, the playfield DMD would go behind the playfield and everything worked fine. But the DMD was still on in the background behind playfield. 

So maybe its still there? causing issues? I just cant figure this out. Why do I have to click on the playfield in order to get the game to work. Side note: Medieval Madness play perfectly fine, and Indiana Jones. Its got to be a setting somewhere?

A lot of this has to do with your display settings either in Windows, or the graphics card software.  I generally designate my playfield as the primary monitor, and full screen mode is required.  Anything secondary or windowed, and you have to "click" it to tell Windows that is the program you are actively using, instead of the front-end (Hyperpin, etc.) that launched the VP software screen. 

Edited by MalikyeMoon, 22 June 2018 - 08:03 PM.