#1 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,068 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Monster Bash

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:42 AM

I’m a relative newbie to the community and am seeking some advice about the computer part of my cabinet build.  I’m experienced in building PCs, but no expert on graphics cards nor the practical load pinballing will place upon a PC.

I’m setting up a 3 screen cabinet.  I have the 46” TV already and will run it via HDMI from the additional graphics card.  I will run the 28” back screen and 17” DMD screen from the motherboard video outputs.  Going with Windows 8.1, 4Gb RAM and a 250 Gb SSD hard drive.

I plan to run VP and FP with Hyperpin front end.  I’m also very keen to explore the 3D (Wii remote or camera) with FP at some stage so clearly need some reasonable processing power to do this.

The bits I’m mainly seeking some opinions on are:

Gigabyte H97 Gaming 3

Gigabyte N730-2GI / N730SL-2GL DDR3 GT730 PCI-E VGA Card

Intel i3-4160

All thoughts welcome

DOFLinx
Contributions for equipment to help with ongoing DOFLinx development can be made here

#2 gamefixer

gamefixer

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 575 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: BK2K

• PS3 Gamer Tag: gamefixer
  • 360 Gamer Tag: gamefixer

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:24 PM

that 730 would probably be the only thing of concern in your lineup. I'd go with something along the lines of a 760 or better.

#3 stuzza

stuzza

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 572 posts

• Favorite Pinball: AFM, SS, ACDC, FG

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:15 PM

I just upgraded my graphics card from an old Geforce GTS 450 1GB (plus used onboard gfx for 3rd screen) to a Geforce GTX 750 2GB.  I can now run all 3 screens off of the one card and haven't noticed any stutter issues in any tables so far.  I have an i5, 4GB, Windows 7 Pro 64b.

FREE High Resolution Pinball Artwork for your cabinet!
Forum Link:  http://www.vpforums....showtopic=26497
Previews here:  http://imgur.com/a/MhlPm

#4 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:15 AM

Thanks gamefixer and stuzza.  Sounds like a better look at the graphics may be in order.  As always I'm trying to balance $ against required performance, but ultimately performance will win!

Currently having a read about GV-N960IXOC-2GD three times the price, but looks like it will easily do the job with some headroom.  I always like a little headroom for when that next version of the software comes along, etc.

DOFLinx
Contributions for equipment to help with ongoing DOFLinx development can be made here

#5 paymaster

paymaster

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

• Favorite Pinball: The Addams Family

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:45 PM

I will post a contrary view - the Intel HD Graphics 4400 that is already built into your processer will handle the three-screen vp load without stutter.  This is similar to what I have in my cabinet.

Your motherboard already has everything built in.  Try it.  If you are unhappy, you can always drop in a card later.

#6 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:09 PM

I will post a contrary view - the Intel HD Graphics 4400 that is already built into your processer will handle the three-screen vp load without stutter.  This is similar to what I have in my cabinet.

Your motherboard already has everything built in.  Try it.  If you are unhappy, you can always drop in a card later.

Thanks.  I really have missed the obvious here haven't I!  Spend nothing extra, try it, and if there is a problem do something about it with no wasted cash.  I'm sitting here questioning my sanity, I've done this so many times with media centres in the past.  Again thanks for the logical poke.

DOFLinx

#7 paymaster

paymaster

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:24 PM

Either way update this thread later with your feedback!

#8 nmehrenberg

nmehrenberg

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• Favorite Pinball: cyclone

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:16 PM

Looking for a little guidance on my graphics card its a nvidia GeForce 6100 Norte 405 ..... 825 mb memory... Tables are lagging and so are the flippers .just wanna make sure this is my issue .
Also running win 7 64 bit
And Athlon 64 processor 4000+ 2.6 ghz

Thanks

#9 BzZziLLa

BzZziLLa

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Top Card

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:00 AM

An on-board graphics chip isn't going to push VP and FP tables at higher resolutions with desirable levels of quality on 1 one screen, much less across 3...

I have a nvidia gtx 550ti and it struggles on very few tables. But that card pushes mostly every table I throw at it @ 1920x1080... and I only paid 40-50 bucks for it on craigslist...

2dsgy9i.pngwet.jpg4hsh37.png

#10 CJS

CJS

Tommy with Training Wheels

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

• Favorite Pinball: My real Pinbot :) VP: America's Most Haunted, Star Trek 2013, Joker Poker, Abra Ca Dabra, AFM, Flash Gordon, ah I could go on forever

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:29 AM

Agree. No way will an on board gpu handle 1080p with three screens and a playfield/backglass at 1080p. Recommend a dedicated gpu, 2gb, 660gtx or better.

#11 paymaster

paymaster

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:24 PM

A few years ago, you were absolutely correct.   Intel HD graphics have come a very long way.

My cab uses on-board graphics with a 4th gen i7.  No stutter, no lag with any table VP9 or vp9-physmod.   (I haven't played with Future Pinball or other VP versions.)

It is already built into DDH69's system... so why not try it?

James

#12 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:17 AM

Well I've got my PC hardware (no additional graphics card yet) and will be building it shortly.  Hopefully not too long until I can hook up the three screens outside of the cabinet (not yet built) and try it out.  I will of course report back.  I plan to start a build thread soon - the first photos of the mess have been taken.

A quick observation though - I've loaded Win8.1 over the last couple of days, the machine is fast, the graphics seem good on one screen.  I have about 20PCs in the house (4 x mediacentres running 1080p, VMserver, virtual version of windows, Mac, Linux, etc), this is definitely the fastest stand alone machine I have at present.

DOFLinx

#13 CJS

CJS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

• Favorite Pinball: My real Pinbot :) VP: America's Most Haunted, Star Trek 2013, Joker Poker, Abra Ca Dabra, AFM, Flash Gordon, ah I could go on forever

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:37 AM

A few years ago, you were absolutely correct.   Intel HD graphics have come a very long way.

My cab uses on-board graphics with a 4th gen i7.  No stutter, no lag with any table VP9 or vp9-physmod.   (I haven't played with Future Pinball or other VP versions.)

It is already built into DDH69's system... so why not try it?

James

Ok, now start ramping up your quality settings in vp to max, running 1080p res, latest tables with multiple primitives with heaps if animation, and play with your onboard gfx. Sorry but recommending someone do a new build with onboard gfx is not good advice.

#14 djhamp

djhamp

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: star trek

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:36 PM

I just bought the GeForce GTX 750n (2GB) from Micro Center for $135.00, seems like good bang for the buck. I guess you can over-clock it (but I wont)

#15 paymaster

paymaster

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:10 PM

Ok, now start ramping up your quality settings in vp to max, running 1080p res, latest tables with multiple primitives with heaps if animation, and play with your onboard gfx. Sorry but recommending someone do a new build with onboard gfx is not good advice.

I have my vp settings at max, I am driving two monitors at 1080p (3rd screen is a real DMD), and I have yet to find a table that stutters on Intel HD Graphics 4600.

Honestly I think that recommending someone spend $100-$200 without trying what they already have in their system is not good advice.  Even if he later chooses to upgrade, nothing has been lost.

#16 BorgDog

BorgDog

We come in peace.. shoot to kill.. shoot to kill.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Alien Star, TNA

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:44 AM

I hear what you are saying, but to be honest paymaster, you can get by with a lot less processor than the i7 you have and then the built in graphics would likely not cut it, I'm guessing your processor alone cost more than my whole pc and video card combined.  But I also agree it doesn't hurt to try what you have first.

#17 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:29 AM

Well the good news is that I've just put the PC together (without a graphics card just yet).  I'm just about to post about it in my build thread http://www.vpforums....topic=30778&hl=

Not sure how long it will be until I can connect up and give an opinion on the debate about on-board graphics.

DOFLinx

#18 CJS

CJS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:52 AM

I have my vp settings at max, I am driving two monitors at 1080p (3rd screen is a real DMD), and I have yet to find a table that stutters on Intel HD Graphics 4600.

Honestly I think that recommending someone spend $100-$200 without trying what they already have in their system is not good advice.  Even if he later chooses to upgrade, nothing has been lost.

Fair enough :) in this case, that blows away what I thought is the popular understanding of vp, is that the gpu is more important and does the heavy lifting. In your case, a very high end cpu is much more important, that is well worth considering then.

#19 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:54 AM

It has taken a while, but here I am with the first report regarding the debate about video performance.  Yesterday for the first time I fired up the PC with all three screens and my iPac controller so that I could see the joy of pinball.

While I have much more to configure, and have only loaded two tables (Indiana Jones the Pinball Adventure, plus Rocky and Bullwinkle), I can say with VP 9.9.1 and B2s loaded I was playing six ball multi-ball on the IJ table with no lag.

I have given the Intel graphics controller the maximum configurable RAM and done nothing else special.

So, as I say, far more to configure over the coming weeks, first tests across two games show me that there is enough graphics power so far.  As I learn, load and play more I might find something different, but for now - working just fine with no dedicated graphics card.

DOFLinx