robertms

Control Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Steve Ritchie designs

Posted 05 January 2023 - 05:58 AM

Hey toxie, there seems to be a no sound issue with totan_13. I tried the latest 3.6 from github and no change, it's looking for a wrong file name ans2v1_0.rom instead of the actual ans2v1_1.rom contained within the rom.

totan_13_error_vpinmame_v3.6.png

Edited by robertms, 05 January 2023 - 05:59 AM.

Behold Godzilla! Check out my monster pincab project here: http://www.vpforums....topic=32236&hl=

#1602 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: AFM

Posted 05 January 2023 - 08:40 AM

This is intended. While looking through the official changelogs/release dates, i did some rom set cleanups.

1.3 should actually use the older sound ROM, whereas only 1.4 (and newer MODs) should use the newer sound ROM.

#1603 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 6,426 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: I like both new and old, but I guess I prefer modern tables with some rules and goals to achieve.

Posted 01 March 2023 - 07:20 PM

Hey toxie!

I have found out the my table Flashman from Sportmatic does not registrer anymore hits when using the vpmtimer.pulsesw command. This is the table:

https://www.vpforums...&showfile=16517

I have changed all the vpmtimer.pulsesw with controller.switch() commands, and a timer of 100 to turn the switches off, and all the targets score again. So the switch numbers are right. This affects the bumpers, the slingshots, scoring rubbers and the normal targets. Droptargets and the spinner work fine.

I guess it is something with the vpm timers that changed a long time ago. I'm using a vpinmame 3.6 from 15 January 2023.

Could you maybe take a look in case there is something you can do?

These are my tables, sorted by date, all them playable with VPX 7 or newer:

vp.jpg

After 18 years making tables, it is time to take a rest and let new authors do their thing.

I guess at last I'll play some more pinball :). But I'm sure I'll make some table updates from time to time :)

#1604 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 01 March 2023 - 08:17 PM

funky as i just did blackhole LTD
and am using vpmtimer.pulsesw with a vpmpulse timer

do you see anything different in it than what you used JP? though i dont think so

wonder if its a rom specific issue?

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary

#1605 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 6,426 posts

• Favorite Pinball: I like both new and old, but I guess I prefer modern tables with some rules and goals to achieve.

Posted 01 March 2023 - 08:42 PM

I used the same as you, vpmtimer.pulsesw. But in that table the rom doesn't seem to catch the hits. It may be a rom specific issue, but I mean it was working before, when I made the table. That's why I asked toxie if he can see something weird with the Sportmatic emulation.

vp.jpg

After 18 years making tables, it is time to take a rest and let new authors do their thing.

I guess at last I'll play some more pinball :). But I'm sure I'll make some table updates from time to time :)

#1606 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 01 March 2023 - 09:06 PM

I used the same as you, vpmtimer.pulsesw. But in that table the rom doesn't seem to catch the hits. It may be a rom specific issue, but I mean it was working before, when I made the table. That's why I asked toxie if he can see something weird with the Sportmatic emulation.

Yea, sounds like some other optimizations made it unfriendly to this ROM

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary

#1607 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 08:38 PM

@gaston to the rescue  :)

#1608 Mitchell

Mitchell

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,434 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Many

Posted 03 March 2023 - 07:02 AM

Someone send me this message from another website.

Claudio

Hi,

I've the rom

NBA Fastbreak (3.1 / S3.0 English/German) [folder: nbaf_31 - size: 5mb]
missing rom: fb-s2.3_0 [size: 524288] [CRC32: 4594abd3] [SHA1: d14654f0c2d29c28cae604e2dbcc9adf361b28a9]

with correct CRC32 and SHA1 but the size is 1048576.

Please verify the dat.

Bye

OK the person is correct. This works.

<rom name="fb-s2.3_0" size="1048576" crc="4594abd3" sha1="d14654f0c2d29c28cae604e2dbcc9adf361b28a9" region="sound1" soundonly="yes" offset="0"/>

Edited by Mitchell, 03 March 2023 - 07:15 AM.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

#1609 Gaston

Gaston

Swell guy

• VIP
  • 96 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Bally Elektra

Posted 03 March 2023 - 08:54 AM

Hey toxie!

I have found out the my table Flashman from Sportmatic does not registrer anymore hits when using the vpmtimer.pulsesw command. This is the table:

I have changed all the vpmtimer.pulsesw with controller.switch() commands, and a timer of 100 to turn the switches off, and all the targets score again. So the switch numbers are right. This affects the bumpers, the slingshots, scoring rubbers and the normal targets. Droptargets and the spinner work fine.

I guess it is something with the vpm timers that changed a long time ago. I'm using a vpinmame 3.6 from 15 January 2023.

All I know is that Flashman uses Playmatic 4 hardware, so actually this issue should be affecting other Playmatic games as well if there was an emulation problem (Trailer, Nautilus and others)...

I remember some Playmatic games worked best with a different value for PinMAMETimer or PulseTimer. I think this was used in the Meg-Aaton table (I just checked, and PinMAMETimer has an unusual value of 10 there).

EDIT: just tried to play the table, and the flippers won't move? I hear the activation sound but they stay down all the time. Odd.
EDIT2: Used VPX 7.3 and they work in there. Also, running VPinMAME 3.5 from October 2022 works fine. Testing 3.6 versions next... yes, no pulsed switch hits will register. Investigating why now.

EDIT3: Funny, after turning back to VPinMAME 3.5 the pulsed switches won't work any longer there as well! So it must be a problem of the table itself... but what exactly???

EDIT4: Sometimes the table starts "tilted", so all bumpers & slings won't react at all! BTW, Controller.Switch(5) is the coin door. Maybe this should better be handled by Play4.vbs?

Edited by Gaston, 03 March 2023 - 12:19 PM.

"How could it possibly break while I'm holding it?" - "Because YOU're holding it!"

#1610 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 03 March 2023 - 09:11 AM

Someone send me this message from another website.

Claudio

Hi,

I've the rom

NBA Fastbreak (3.1 / S3.0 English/German) [folder: nbaf_31 - size: 5mb]
missing rom: fb-s2.3_0 [size: 524288] [CRC32: 4594abd3] [SHA1: d14654f0c2d29c28cae604e2dbcc9adf361b28a9]

with correct CRC32 and SHA1 but the size is 1048576.

Please verify the dat.

Bye

OK the person is correct. This works.

<rom name="fb-s2.3_0" size="1048576" crc="4594abd3" sha1="d14654f0c2d29c28cae604e2dbcc9adf361b28a9" region="sound1" soundonly="yes" offset="0"/>

Oh whoops, indeed, good catch. During my cleanup of NBA Fastbreak i did a copy paste error. Will fix now..

#1611 scutters

scutters

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

• Flag: England

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family

Posted 03 March 2023 - 10:35 AM

Vpinmame setup shows two roms for The Six Million Dollar Man as having 7 digit scoring (smmanb & smmanc)... are they are only 6 digit in pinmame?

The ChangedLEDs call in a script doesn't seem to report anything for an extra seventh digit in the scores as far as i can tell.. unless maybe the 7th digits are appended together after all the other score, credit and ball digits (so player 1 score would be represented by the first 6 digits and then digit 40 for the 7th digit)?

#1612 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 03 March 2023 - 10:53 AM

Indeed, i just saw that i also have a todo there in my checkout..  :/

#1613 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 03 March 2023 - 11:19 AM

could you please try with https://github.com/v...runs/4322891478 if all works as expected?

#1614 scutters

scutters

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 03 March 2023 - 12:59 PM

could you please try with https://github.com/v...runs/4322891478 if all works as expected?

Looks to be good now for smmanb... but smmanc was originally showing as 7 digit scoring too in setup (it doesn't now),  i don't know if that is supposed to be 6 or 7 digit (seems to be 6 digit but rom download page description says 7)

#1615 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 6,426 posts

Posted 03 March 2023 - 03:33 PM

Hey toxie!

All I know is that Flashman uses Playmatic 4 hardware, so actually this issue should be affecting other Playmatic games as well if there was an emulation problem (Trailer, Nautilus and others)...

I remember some Playmatic games worked best with a different value for PinMAMETimer or PulseTimer. I think this was used in the Meg-Aaton table (I just checked, and PinMAMETimer has an unusual value of 10 there).

EDIT: just tried to play the table, and the flippers won't move? I hear the activation sound but they stay down all the time. Odd.
EDIT2: Used VPX 7.3 and they work in there. Also, running VPinMAME 3.5 from October 2022 works fine. Testing 3.6 versions next... yes, no pulsed switch hits will register. Investigating why now.

EDIT3: Funny, after turning back to VPinMAME 3.5 the pulsed switches won't work any longer there as well! So it must be a problem of the table itself... but what exactly???

EDIT4: Sometimes the table starts "tilted", so all bumpers & slings won't react at all! BTW, Controller.Switch(5) is the coin door. Maybe this should better be handled by Play4.vbs?

Thanks Gaston for looking into this problem :) I tried the PinMAMETimer at 10 but the pulsesw didn't work. I hope you can find what is wrong :)

vp.jpg

#1616 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 07:13 AM

Looks to be good now for smmanb... but smmanc was originally showing as 7 digit scoring too in setup (it doesn't now),  i don't know if that is supposed to be 6 or 7 digit (seems to be 6 digit but rom download page description says 7)

I think i cleaned that part up at some point. It shouldn't be 7 digits.

#1617 scutters

scutters

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 08:50 AM

I think i cleaned that part up at some point. It shouldn't be 7 digits.

all good now then! thanks. I've put a note on the rom download page.

#1618 Gaston

Gaston

Swell guy

• VIP
  • 96 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Bally Elektra

Posted 06 March 2023 - 05:03 AM

Hey toxie!

Thanks Gaston for looking into this problem :) I tried the PinMAMETimer at 10 but the pulsesw didn't work. I hope you can find what is wrong :)

Still no idea what causes it, but I can say for certain it's not an emulation issue. Even VPinMAME version 3.3b shows the same behaviour.

Must be something with the VBS files... I tried several revisions, 3.52 seem to be the oldest working scripts, but the pulsed switches never work.

Very funny as I'm pretty sure they worked when I first tried the table?!

"How could it possibly break while I'm holding it?" - "Because YOU're holding it!"

#1619 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 03:00 PM

Would be nice if some brave testers could find out when exactly this broke (which core script and/or VPM version).

#1620 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 10:17 AM

New beta cycle starting:  :)

GENERAL

Updated LISY support to 5.28-83 (Linux for Gottlieb System1 & System80, Bally, Atari, Williams and 'Home' Pinballs)

Fix Capcom crashes in 64bit builds

CORE/CPU

Fixed WPC General Illumination (GI) Dimming (most noticably if more than one GI line is involved, also all 8 levels are now handled properly)
Added Cosmic Flash sound emulation (Bell stole it from Bally's Squalk&Talk, but removed speech and DAC chips)
Improved Zaccaria 11178 sound emulation a little (clown, poolcham, bbeltzac, mexico, zankor, spooky)
Added Pulse Width Modulation support for a variety of bulbs,LED,GI,solenoids,motors with a user selectable output device PWM integrator (see https://github.com/v...pinmame/pull/89 for all the details and how to use)
 this will dramatically improve e.g. flasher modulation, add support for e.g. modulated solenoids, but needs special script support by each table
Fixed 6 million dollar man 7 digit conversion display
Fixed inverted switches for ffv101

ROM SUPPORT Thanks to ipdb.org, Valerio Curzio, Matt's Basement Arcade, inkochnito, flipprojets.fr, Idleman, idealjoker, João Pedras & João Carneiro, ingo333, Ronaldo
New:
Seeben: Brooklyn (Bingo) (not working)
        Brooklyn (set 2) (Bingo) (not working)
        Continental 3 in 1 (Bingo) (not working)
        Domino II (Bingo) (not working)
        Golden Gate (set 1) (Bingo) (not working)
        Golden Gate (set 2) (Bingo) (not working)
        New Dixieland (Bingo) (not working)
        Penalty (Bingo) (not working)
        Super Dixieland (Bingo) (not working)
        Triple Joker (Bingo) (not working)
Splin:  Golden Game Bingo Stake 6/10 (Bingo) (not working)
        Golden Game Bingo New (Bingo) (not working)
        Golden Game Kit 1 Generation (Bingo) (not working)
        Michigan (Bingo) (not working)
        Michigan Bingo Kit 1 Generation (Bingo) (not working)
        Michigan Kit Bingo Stake 6/10 (Bingo) (not working)
        Michigan Bingo Stake 6/10 (Bingo) (not working)
        Michigan Bingo New (Bingo) (not working)
        Montana Bingo Stake 6/10 (Bingo) (not working)
        Top Game Laser L10 (Bingo) (not working)
        Top Game Turbo (Bingo) (not working)

Correct Dumps:
Bell: Cosmic Flash (sound ROM - might need a redump because it contains an illegal instruction in one byte?)
      Super Bowl (sound ROM redump showed one byte of difference)
LTD:  Space Poker
NBA Fastbreak: Changed 2.1, 2.2 & 2.3 to also use the newer sound ROM S3.0

Clones:
Ali (7-digit conversion Free Play rev. 76)
Dracula (One Ball MOD)
Flipper Football 1.03
Frankenstein 1.03 (Italian)
Galaxy (7-Digit conversion, Fixes & modified rules)
Jungle Lord (new tricks) L2 & L3beta (MOD)
Lightning (Free Play & MOD rev. 25)
Metallica 0.52
Pin-Bot J-2 (PEMBOT (no relation)) (MOD)
Sexy Girl (exact clone of Bally Playboy but using an additional image projector)
Spirit (initial release) & rev. 3 (MOD)
STTNG LX-8 (MOD) (using the special L-1 sound roms, note that the special callouts can be turned off completely within the game menu)
Swords of Fury LG-2 (German)
Tommy 1.02 (Belgian), 3.01 (German)
White Water P-6 (Prototype)
Wildfyre (One Ball MOD)

Removed Clones:
NBA Fastbreak: 3.1 with Sound S1.0 (as this was just created to be able to use S1.0, which is nowadays wired to 1.1/1.15 instead)
Star Trek: The Next Generation S7/DS (as these were just created to be able to use a P-1 sound rom, (for now) wired to P-4 instead)
White Water P-1/P-2 (as these were just created to be able to use the P-1 sound roms, now wired to P-6 as found on a real machine)

VPM

Add 'ModOutputType' to COM-API for new PWM support (see whatsnew.txt and https://github.com/v...pinmame/pull/89 for details and usage)

As usual, download link can be found in the first post. Thanks for/have fun testing!  :)