#1401 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,720 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: M M

Posted 20 July 2021 - 04:33 PM

Thanks for getting to the bottom of this.

Where/when can the average user (like me) download the corrected  SC version?

Try the VPinMAME: Link above
Use this one
VPinMAME-sc-3.4-281-5adc05e-win-x86

#1402 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,831 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: GOT, Alien Star, LOTR, TOM

Posted 20 July 2021 - 04:52 PM

@rysr : You can get betas of github - only need to create a free account. With Carney not building "SAM builds", you might not get them as often as you are used to. But, there will be official releases. Devs, just like for VPX, decides when it is time. Download from github, you get the newest, but, well - maybe also hitting some bugs, just like VPX Beta. Devs has to have to freedom to break stuff.

Edited by Thalamus, 20 July 2021 - 04:55 PM.

From now on. I won't help anyone here at VPF. Please ask Noah why that is.

#1403 RYSr

RYSr

Pinball Fan

• Charter Member
  • 510 posts

• Favorite Pinball: TZ - G&R - MB - CV - Metallica

Posted 20 July 2021 - 06:34 PM

@rysr : You can get betas of github - only need to create a free account. With Carney not building "SAM builds", you might not get them as often as you are used to. But, there will be official releases. Devs, just like for VPX, decides when it is time. Download from github, you get the newest, but, well - maybe also hitting some bugs, just like VPX Beta. Devs has to have to freedom to break stuff.

I used the first link in JSM174's post #1396 and finely figured out how to download it, I kept missing it before. His link takes you to his fork and under action selection you select the latest update, then you have to use the scroll bar to go down to the artifacts, which I now understand are his latest builds of the master. I selected the sc-3.4-281-5adc05e-win-x86 and got a download window! anyway I installed this version and the test button works on my windows 8.1 desktop PC now!

Thanks Jason and Thalamus for you assistance and the fix!

Edited by RYSr, 20 July 2021 - 06:37 PM.

#1404 LunatechFringe

LunatechFringe

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Theater of Magic

Posted 20 July 2021 - 11:23 PM

Has anyone run into issues with VPinMAME-sc-3.4-281-5adc05e-win-x86?  I'm noticing my virtual DMD is doubling-up on a few tables.  The smaller "stock" DMD shows up on top of or slightly to the side of the colorized DMD in use.  I've seen it in several tables, including Apollo 13 and Theatre of Magic.  It seems related to tables with colorized DMDs regardless of whether Freezy 1.8.0 or 1.8.2 is installed.  If I test the ROM outside of VPX, the DMD for each table having problems loads successfully.  It is only happening when the table is active in VPX.  Checking and unchecking Show DMD has no effect.

I downgraded my VPM back to the version I was using before, and the problem disappeared.

Edited by LunatechFringe, 21 July 2021 - 02:18 AM.

#1405 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 20 July 2021 - 11:49 PM

Has anyone run into issues with VPinMAME-sc-3.4-281-5adc05e-win-x86?  I'm noticing my virtual DMD is doubling-up on a few tables.  The smaller "stock" DMD shows up on top of or slightly to the side of the colorized DMD in use.  I've seen it in several tables, including Apollo 13 and Theatre of Magic.  It seems related to tables with colorized DMDs regardless of whether Freezy 1.8.0 or 1.8.2 is installed.  If I test the ROM outside of VPX, the DMD for each table having problems loads successfully.  It is only happening when the table is active in VPX.  Unchecking and rechecking Show DMD has no effect.

I downgraded my VPM back to the version I was using before, and the problem disappeared.

No issues with it an apollo 13 with COLOR 
did you hit F1 and make sure show DMD is unchecked?

7N8zjmE.png

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary

#1406 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 12:37 AM

@rysr : Yes, you are perfectly correct on the artifacts. I however recommend that you don't use @jsm174 for your updates, stay on official pinmame - that way at least two eyes has been on the patch/change. Jsm174 has done a huge amount of changes / improvements lately, helped getting the automatic build up and running etc. Super valuable guy to the community. Still doesn't mean more eyes on the code is to be ignored ;)

@LunaticFringe : Saw your post on vpx beta thread. For the plunger. First, never put scripts in tables folder. They should live in scripts - period ! Renaming mjr's version to NudgePlugin.vbs is the correct way. If there is issues with that script and you are using a regular tilt bob, then it should stay. There is a setting under preferences where you decide what type of nudge you are using. Pick one. If you go for the analogue, then Nudgeplugin.vbs should stay. (renamed version - NOT from mjr's site, they differ and MJR's site was last I checked not updated and flawed). I agree with Wiesshund, it sounds to me like a small setup error, not a flaw with the newest pinmame. I admit, I only tested 4-5 different games yesterday and 281 is very new, so limited testing yet. But, I don't see any of what you report and I'm on the latest upstream code for Freezy/Flex. https://github.com/v...ifacts/68536066 - unfortunately it seems like artifacts via AppVeyor is deleted when they are a month old, I'm there on 1.9.0-SNAPSHOT-r26 - believe I linked that to my dropbox in the FlexDMD thread a while back. Or maybe it was the github upstream for Flex ? Well, if you need it - I can upload it to dropbox. Just let me know.

I'll PM  mjr about that outdated NudgePlugin and see if we can't get it updated. Illustrates quite well why I don't like to see vbs files being provided in any other way than what is available via regular install / vpx.

Edited by Thalamus, 21 July 2021 - 01:37 AM.

#1407 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 01:09 AM

1.9 freezys R26

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

#1408 LunatechFringe

LunatechFringe

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 02:20 AM

Has anyone run into issues with VPinMAME-sc-3.4-281-5adc05e-win-x86?  I'm noticing my virtual DMD is doubling-up on a few tables.  The smaller "stock" DMD shows up on top of or slightly to the side of the colorized DMD in use.  I've seen it in several tables, including Apollo 13 and Theatre of Magic.  It seems related to tables with colorized DMDs regardless of whether Freezy 1.8.0 or 1.8.2 is installed.  If I test the ROM outside of VPX, the DMD for each table having problems loads successfully.  It is only happening when the table is active in VPX.  Unchecking and rechecking Show DMD has no effect.

No issues with it an apollo 13 with COLOR 
did you hit F1 and make sure show DMD is unchecked?

@weisshund, I updated the post to say "checking and unchecking Show DMD has no effect."  Sorry about that.  Yes, I made sure to check for that.

Edited by LunatechFringe, 21 July 2021 - 02:21 AM.

#1409 LunatechFringe

LunatechFringe

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 02:44 AM

@LunaticFringe : Saw your post on vpx beta thread. For the plunger. First, never put scripts in tables folder. They should live in scripts - period ! Renaming mjr's version to NudgePlugin.vbs is the correct way. If there is issues with that script and you are using a regular tilt bob, then it should stay. There is a setting under preferences where you decide what type of nudge you are using. Pick one. If you go for the analogue, then Nudgeplugin.vbs should stay. (renamed version - NOT from mjr's site, they differ and MJR's site was last I checked not updated and flawed). I agree with Wiesshund, it sounds to me like a small setup error, not a flaw with the newest pinmame. I admit, I only tested 4-5 different games yesterday and 281 is very new, so limited testing yet. But, I don't see any of what you report and I'm on the latest upstream code for Freezy/Flex. https://github.com/v...ifacts/68536066 - unfortunately it seems like artifacts via AppVeyor is deleted when they are a month old, I'm there on 1.9.0-SNAPSHOT-r26 - believe I linked that to my dropbox in the FlexDMD thread a while back. Or maybe it was the github upstream for Flex ? Well, if you need it - I can upload it to dropbox. Just let me know.

I'll PM  mjr about that outdated NudgePlugin and see if we can't get it updated. Illustrates quite well why I don't like to see vbs files being provided in any other way than what is available via regular install / vpx.

@Thalamus, thanks for confirming.  That makes sense to me.  The Nudge & Tilt section of the Pinscape v2 Build Guide under 'how to configure VP for a tilt bob' says to copy NudgePlugIn.vbs to your Tables folder (Tables is bolded).  I actually tried renaming the newer MJR script in VP's scripts folder for the latest beta build and copying it to the Tables folder.  I had the same experience.

Just to make sure I understand you clearly...if I have Analog Nudge selected in Preferences, do I:

a)  Leave NudgePlugIn.vbs in the Tables folder.  I understand you said not to do this.
b)  Leave NudgePlugIn_mjrAccelAndTilt.vbs in the scripts folder renamed as NudgePlugIn.vbs.
c)  Do not use it at all.

If I choose option c, the tilt bob and analog nudging seems to be working, other than some nudging sensitivity I'll need to tweak.  I appreciate the feedback.

@weisshund:  I'll try the Freezy build you mentioned.  Thank you.

#1410 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 02:56 AM

try build 280 out of the official branch

281 is from one of the other branches, has not been merged yet, might still need some tweaking?

Well the smaller DMD you see, if you right click it and it shows pinmame options
the freezy build will probably make 0 difference

#1411 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 03:28 AM

Pick c and you can rip that bob out of your cabinet. I don't have v3, or I do, but, not installed. I will never replace the mechanical for the digital.

b) is the correct way to do it - yes.

I don't remember what it is called under preferences, would have to fire out vpx, but, if you enable mechanical, it will ignore the digital that your zeb is sending.

Again, not on v3, but, I expect that to happen. Right now, sounds like you are running the digital. A no no for me, and a thumbs up from DjRobX.

Why I don't like it ? Because nudge and tilt adjusments is on the same unit, you have less wiggle room to adjust. AND, well, it is better to hear the bob hitting the metal and at the same time get a warning than a boring digital one that is quiet.

Edited by Thalamus, 21 July 2021 - 03:32 AM.

#1412 LunatechFringe

LunatechFringe

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 03:45 AM

try build 280 out of the official branch

281 is from one of the other branches, has not been merged yet, might still need some tweaking?

Well the smaller DMD you see, if you right click it and it shows pinmame options
the freezy build will probably make 0 difference

The same problems occurs with build 280 and the Freezy build you provided.  Yes, the DMD that is not supposed to be there comes up with pinmame options, even though Show DMD is unchecked.

Pick c and you can rip that bob out of your cabinet. I don't have v3, or I do, but, not installed. I will never replace the mechanical for the digital.

b) is the correct way to do it - yes.

I don't remember what it is called under preferences, would have to fire out vpx, but, if you enable mechanical, it will ignore the digital that your zeb is sending.

Again, not on v3, but, I expect that to happen. Right now, sounds like you are running the digital. A no no for me, and a thumbs up from DjRobX.

Why I don't like it ? Because nudge and tilt adjusments is on the same unit, you have less wiggle room to adjust. AND, well, it is better to hear the bob hitting the metal and at the same time get a warning than a boring digital one that is quiet.

With c, I have my tilt bob wired to button 13, which is a gamepad button on the plunger (the accelerometer is part of the plunger assembly, not a separate device).  I have Mech Tilt in VPX's Preferences set for button 13, and not the virtual button 24, which is what Steve from Zebsboards recommends for the tilt feature built into his plunger.  I'm using the plunger's nudge capabilities and bypassing its tilt capabilities in favor of the tilt bob.  I definitely prefer the tilt bob.

#1413 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 04:15 AM

The same problems occurs with build 280 and the Freezy build you provided.  Yes, the DMD that is not supposed to be there comes up with pinmame options, even though Show DMD is unchecked.

Almost seems like something not registered proper, or the reg entries fubar or something.

Just to try something, do this

1) export the entire freeware registry to to preserve ALL existing vpinmame settings

2) unregister vpinmame, and tell it to purge the registry

3) in vpinmame folder, rename the cfg and ini folders to back them up, then create new empty ones, do same with nvram folder.

Ok now all previous things are safely backed up to restore if this makes no difference

4) Now register vpinmame again, once registered, click TEST in setup
pick the apollo 13 ROM, set the game options to not show DMD, use external DLL, use color.

Now launch the ROM itself from setup

See if that makes any change at all.
If it does, dont throw away your backed up stuff yet cause you might be able to put most of it back.

#1414 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 04:51 AM

To the best of my knowledge - tilt bob is more or less hard coded to the letter 'T'. Once it hit, you should in notepad or any editor, see the 'T' being typed. The mjr plugin, once done correctly, you will get the same amount of tilt warnings as the rom is set to. Often 2 or 3. Without it - it will often tilt on first. I'm 99.5% sure that you should see the letter 'T' being typed. It's been ages since I did this last. Try mapping it to 'T' and see if that doesn't change anything.

Following Wiesshunds advice is valid, but, maybe a bit unnecessary brutal, what I would do is. Delete the registry for the rom only, then run it once. If that works, consider his solution. You should after you delete the registry for the rom, and start the rom once, see it come back. If you don't, then there is some reigstry issues going on and you should definately do what Wiesshund suggests.

What can happen is that you play a game with different settings first time around, and then add some hardware/software and want to change - vp / pinmame isn't bug free and this is windows too ;) So, deleting the rom entry in question is a good thing to do when something isn't working as you expect it to. Cleaning nvram too, but, that is only game related and not useful in this particular case.

Edited by Thalamus, 21 July 2021 - 04:58 AM.

#1415 jsm174

jsm174

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 100 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Indiana Jones

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:42 AM

@Thalamus - Would you be willing to try: 

https://github.com/j...runs/1052348129

This is using most recent upx devel. 

#1416 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:57 AM

@jsm174 : That is NEGATIVE - crashes just like before.

#1417 jsm174

jsm174

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 100 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Indiana Jones

Posted 21 July 2021 - 12:01 PM

Thanks. And that was the x86 version, correct? 

#1418 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 12:04 PM

YES - x86 sc was the only one I tried.

#1419 RYSr

RYSr

Pinball Fan

• Charter Member
  • 510 posts

• Favorite Pinball: TZ - G&R - MB - CV - Metallica

Posted 21 July 2021 - 01:34 PM

Any write up on what was improved?

#1420 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard