Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

• Flag: France

• Favorite Pinball: medieval madness

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

hello, 

i don't see dx9test3, i have one and two but i don't see the 3. where is it ?

You'll find it in post 399.

thx pinball

I was wrong, this is the version I have. 
I'm too pressed lol

#482 Practicedummy

Practicedummy

Multi-Level Madman

• Platinum Supporter
  • 2,683 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: I like multi-level pinball the most

• Trophies:

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

Our plan is to release a 9.2.1 asap. After that we try to migrate VP over to DX9 based on Mukuste's work. I don't know if we can maintain compatibility with VP9 tables but if that works out as expected we try to make a final VP9.3 version until we move over developing a fresh VP10 where we'll definitely break compatibility ;)

What specifically do you see or know of what may not work in the future versions of VP. I've seen members say reels will be a problem, which we have seen in the past with iterations of VP, but what else should we expect to run across as far as compatibility problems. I am asking for the sake of VP authors that have already released tables and am wondering how much work it will take to make older tables compliant with the newer versions of VP..

Edited by Practicedummy, 19 February 2014 - 05:29 PM.

I could have been smart, but I never learned anything by being smart!

#483 fuzzel

fuzzel

spaghetti code

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: yes I have

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

That is hard to explain at the moment. We will change the lighting system for example that alone will mean that you have to rework VP9 tables. The plan is to load/import old VP9 tables but you have to change things to play them under VP10.

#484 Horrible

Horrible

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: Data East Star Wars, Star Trek 25th

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

mukuste

I've tested VP9_DX9_test3 on a number of tables, here is the result for LW3_Alpha_edition_FS_v1.1
under VPinball 9.2.1 rev921 I achieved a constant 60 FPS, however under VP9_DX9_test3 (in windowed mode - full screen) - I achieved 300 FPS constant.

Amazing, smooth as you like.  Other tables were also much improved, excellent work!

I've tried following the thread here, but there are so many posts.  Will the final version be supporting B2S as most of my backglasses are running on this server?

Edited by Horrible, 19 February 2014 - 09:58 PM.

Win 7 Pro 64 Bit Sp1, [email protected], 8GB DDR3 RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 2Gb, NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 1Gb

Crucial MX250Gb Primary' Samsung 840 128 Gb Backup

Corsair CX750 PINDMD3

#485 Slydog43

Slydog43

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,006 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family, All Williams 90's Games

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:37 PM

you can get a version of Vpinmame.dll that supports Unity as well as PinDMD1, 2, etc.  Sorry no link but should be easy to find.  Just place Dll in visual pinball/vpinmame dir and good to go. (Some say you need to re-register it, but I didn't have to)

#486 insx

insx

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: Revenge From Mars

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:56 PM

The one directly linked up there is actually still 9.1.5 (which reminds me of something ;)), so please try/make sure to have 9.2.0.

Hmm, now I'm wondering. I thought I had 9.2.0 but I don't remember getting it from anywhere else. I'll check.

#487 StevOz

StevOz

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,718 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Scared Stiff

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:45 PM

Yes, VP has a full simulation of angular velocity which is independent of linear velocity and which takes into account collisions and the inertial tensor.

As for the mass, yes, I was only talking collisions. Certainly it has an effect on the rolling speed. One of these days I have to do the math and see if changing the mass gives new effects which you couldn't also achieve by changing the playfield slope and the friction.

With the few tables I have made for VP9, gravity (mass) does have a different effect then that which can be recreated via friction and/or slope settings. I would argue that friction is an almost useless parameter as on a real well maintained table, it is virtually zero anyway. As for flipper physics I think they are fine with the correct setting each table, although perhaps too digital in nature and did wonder how many steps the flipper go through in a swing arc, could this number of steps be increased?

Edited by StevOz, 19 February 2014 - 11:47 PM.

Files I have uploaded here...

http://www.vpforums....ownloads&mid=34

logoshort.gif

#488 DJRobX

DJRobX

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

• Favorite Pinball: F14 Tomcat

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:07 AM

As for flipper physics I think they are fine with the correct setting each table, although perhaps too digital in nature and did wonder how many steps the flipper go through in a swing arc, could this number of steps be increased?

"Digital in nature" - That's a great description.   That particular issue is exacerbated if your FPS goes below 100 too.   I remember playing UW's Monster Bash on my cab in Win7 where it could barely hold 45fps.    The flipper physics reacted such that almost any shot I made with the right flipper went straight into the scoop.  I could very easily flip the ball right back into the scoop when it was kicked out, too (6-7 times in a row).    Once I moved to XP where the FPS went up, the table played a lot more naturally. 

#489 85vett

85vett

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Corvette

• 360 Gamer Tag: ZeeksterATX

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:19 AM

I am surprised Clark is getting so much flack when he's not wrong.  The aiming of the flippers leaves a bit to be desired and does take away from some of the fun of VP.  Yes, you can get them close but it's a compromise between middle shots and outside shots.  I've always heard that part of the problem is that the ball is actually a square in the physics engine and that adds to some of the challenge but I don't know if that is still true.  It's loads better than FP but it still needs some work.  I've been very impressed with all the work going into VP the last couple of months but I would by lying if I didn't say I was disappointed that this topic always gets brushed under the rug.

#490 StevOz

StevOz

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:09 AM

85vett, me and bob like your post, the square ball zone may or may not be an issue I tend to think that is not the case and perhaps the hit zone is the rendered image though I just don't know how the source code handles that. Also bob made a demo table that had kicker holes all around and challenged any to come up with flipper settings which would allow you to hit each and all of those holes in any consistent manner. Though I had my doubts about that demo as I imagine if it were a real table the results would also be almost the same, in as you most likely could not perform all those shots either, perhaps more so on a real table. That said this is why I would like to know the maximum number of steps are applied between the start and end angle of a flipper swing arc to allow for the maximum number of possible trajectories. 

Edited by StevOz, 20 February 2014 - 06:16 AM.

logoshort.gif

#491 GSGregg

GSGregg

Pinball Fan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,131 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Bally CENTAUR (1981)

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:25 AM

I've been under the impression that the number of collision points and resulting vectors is much higher than the number of graphical renderings of the flippers, which is just sufficient to smooth out the perceived flipper sweep (when people have posted captures of glitched multiple renderings, I don't think I've ever seen more than four). Not so?

#492 mukuste

mukuste

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Centaur

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:06 AM

Had no internet last night, so bit of a monster post here.

Is the aim very random (eg, at shot that should go up the middle goes around the left loop)? or is it just not quite precise? I had the very random problem until I switched off one of the video options (something to do with sync, I don't have VP available in front of me right now).

Interesting in that context is also that actually there are two (not so known) settings that also control the physics 'randomness':

In the table itself (Global Difficulty Level: 0..1  0 switches off randomness (almost) completely) or in the registry ("GlobalDifficulty" 0..100  0 switches off again)

Just in case somebody wants to do some more testing with the physics, cause i actually was stumbled the first time i saw this in the code as this is not just influencing the table slope as i expected.

But it should be noted that if the scatter settings on the table and the flippers are 0, as they are with most tables, then there is no artificial randomness added to the flipper collisions, regardless of difficulty settings.

Our plan is to release a 9.2.1 asap. After that we try to migrate VP over to DX9 based on Mukuste's work. I don't know if we can maintain compatibility with VP9 tables but if that works out as expected we try to make a final VP9.3 version until we move over developing a fresh VP10 where we'll definitely break compatibility ;)

What specifically do you see or know of what may not work in the future versions of VP. I've seen members say reels will be a problem, which we have seen in the past with iterations of VP, but what else should we expect to run across as far as compatibility problems. I am asking for the sake of VP authors that have already released tables and am wondering how much work it will take to make older tables compliant with the newer versions of VP..

Image Reels should already work fine since Test2.

I think that we might release some sort of transition guide for the version changes.

mukuste

I've tested VP9_DX9_test3 on a number of tables, here is the result for LW3_Alpha_edition_FS_v1.1
under VPinball 9.2.1 rev921 I achieved a constant 60 FPS, however under VP9_DX9_test3 (in windowed mode - full screen) - I achieved 300 FPS constant.

Amazing, smooth as you like.  Other tables were also much improved, excellent work!

I've tried following the thread here, but there are so many posts.  Will the final version be supporting B2S as most of my backglasses are running on this server?

B2S should already work. Just make sure that you run in windowed fullscreen mode.

Yes, VP has a full simulation of angular velocity which is independent of linear velocity and which takes into account collisions and the inertial tensor.

As for the mass, yes, I was only talking collisions. Certainly it has an effect on the rolling speed. One of these days I have to do the math and see if changing the mass gives new effects which you couldn't also achieve by changing the playfield slope and the friction.

With the few tables I have made for VP9, gravity (mass) does have a different effect then that which can be recreated via friction and/or slope settings. I would argue that friction is an almost useless parameter as on a real well maintained table, it is virtually zero anyway. As for flipper physics I think they are fine with the correct setting each table, although perhaps too digital in nature and did wonder how many steps the flipper go through in a swing arc, could this number of steps be increased?

The flipper angle is simulated as a continuous value, there are no discrete increments (disregarding floating point accuracy of course, but that's no issue). It used to be that the flippers were rendered in discrete increments, but in DX9 I changed this too to be continuous. Some tables (SS, e.g.) do still use their own discrete flipper sprites, but this has no bearing on the physics.

I am surprised Clark is getting so much flack when he's not wrong.  The aiming of the flippers leaves a bit to be desired and does take away from some of the fun of VP.  Yes, you can get them close but it's a compromise between middle shots and outside shots.  I've always heard that part of the problem is that the ball is actually a square in the physics engine and that adds to some of the challenge but I don't know if that is still true.  It's loads better than FP but it still needs some work.  I've been very impressed with all the work going into VP the last couple of months but I would by lying if I didn't say I was disappointed that this topic always gets brushed under the rug.

The ball is simulated as a ball, no squares there. I plan to get into the physics a bit for VP10; had a browse through the physics code last night and already saw some spots where small improvements could be made. I also wonder if VP correctly simulates the physics of a ball which is rolling vs sliding on the playfield, I think it does not and this would be interesting to try. This might be a way to improve the floaty ball physics that people sometimes complain about.

Edited by mukuste, 20 February 2014 - 09:10 AM.

#493 StevOz

StevOz

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for the post and information, nice to actually know about the whole floating point flipper stuff. :)

I doubt VP is including spin or slide from real life experience vs VP, though if it is nice to know it's in the source. I always spin and then release the plunger for a softer more accurate feel, that I feel is just not going to happen or be viable or should even be a consideration, oh have I mentioned the nudge physics, why yes I did, now those need some much better approximations. All that aside wonderful advances in making VP playable in DX9, with lesser hardware requirements and considering all that has been done.

Also thanks for reading and addressing the sometimes ill foundered, ill conceived perceptions of us pinheads! :)

Edited by StevOz, 20 February 2014 - 09:45 AM.

logoshort.gif

#494 mukuste

mukuste

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Centaur

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:57 AM

Download VP9_DX9_test4 here: Attached File  VP9_DX9_test4.zip   668.62KB   156 downloads
Important: instead of fullscreen mode, run in "windowed fullscreen" mode.

This should be as good a time as any to release a new test.

Changes since Test3:
  • more rendering fixes to alpha ramps and lights (Monster Bash seems to render very well now)
  • fixed some memory errors, hopefully no more random glitches and crashes
  • fixed texture glitch on Image Reels (e.g. SS spider wheel)
  • fixed some very minor glitch on bumpers
  • made image decals render over lights on the playfield
  • toxie contributed new shader versions of the FXAA and Stereo 3D code, so please test that! Make sure to disable antialiasing in the video driver control panel if you enable FXAA.

As usual, if you find more glitches, screenshots and exact table names/versions help a lot to track them down!

Happy testing!

Edited by mukuste, 20 February 2014 - 10:58 AM.

#495 The Loafer

The Loafer

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,468 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Superman, Firepower & Tron

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:28 AM

Ohhhh. groovy man, thanks! I have company coming over tonight so this will get tested! :)

#496 kruge99

kruge99

Pinball Wizard

• VPF Staff
  • 3,901 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Black Knight, High Speed and Pin*Bot

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

made image decals render over lights on the playfield

I didn't have time to make a screenshot and upload it because I'm heading out the door for work, but image decals on the backdrop do not appear to be fixed by the fix you did for the playfield lights.

Please try PacDude's Medusa 1.0 desktop table and you can see the black bumpers instead of the bumper cap images that are on the backdrop.  Perhaps this is fixable in a different area of the source code, that draws the backdrop portions?

[proud owner of a Williams Solar Fire]

- It's called "The American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it.
George Carlin
- Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
Henrik Tikkanen
- "Reality check, Michelle, Talk about composure, Total lack of. He's a man-- About-- 12 Feet Tall--"
Carrie Kelly
Posted Image

#497 unclewilly

unclewilly

sofa king.....

• VIP
  • 5,082 posts

• Favorite Pinball: tz, tom, big hurt, who dunnit

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

Can you use the enhance option for a a in the video driver if you use fxaa.

Also have the touch controls been added back in. I'd like to test performance on a Windows tablet

"it will all be ok in the end, if it's not ok, it's not the end"

Monster Bash VP10 WIP https://dl.dropboxus... (vpx)WIP15.vpx

uw2.gif

#498 bosvrucht

bosvrucht

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: LOTR

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:56 AM

info for others:

Test4 apparantly uses more/other dx9 files, so it complained about a missing DLL.  So: install/update DX9:

http://www.microsoft...tion.aspx?id=35

#499 JohnnyDoe

JohnnyDoe

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 238 posts

• Flag: Sweden

• Favorite Pinball: White Water

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

Looks insanely good. The rails got a new dimension, you can see the glare.

Amazing work.

#500 freezy

freezy

Member title

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

• Favorite Pinball: T2, TOM, AFM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

Weird things happening here. When I turn on FXAA in the video settings of VP, my PC reboots instantly before displaying the rendered table and the BIOS bootup hangs with something about power surge (need to ctrl+alt+del in order to make it boot properly). Tested twice, same behavior.

Then I disabled FXAA and it started, but after playing ~5min, I got the same reboot during game play. I'm running WinXP on my cab, specs can be found here. It's not specially hot in here, so I don't think it's a heat problem of some sort. The cab is very actively being played (it's at my work place) and this has never happened before with VP.

Any ideas?

Edited by freezy, 20 February 2014 - 12:31 PM.