toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: AFM

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:00 AM

As it worked pretty well with the VP915 thread, i thought i'll open a new one for the new VP916 phase, so all ppl that want to assist in testing Koadics daily builds, feel free to post feedback and bugs here.

Note that, especially in the beginning of a new dev cycle, bugs come and go frequently, so don't expect nice working daily builds in general. :)

#2 TedB

TedB

Pinball Fan

• Charter Member
  • 705 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: those with non virtual steel balls

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:47 AM

All daily builds from Koadic.

https://www.dropbox....VPinball Builds

As I have understood 9.1.6 starts at rev 504, but please correct me if I am wrong.

#3 tipoto

tipoto

Enthusiast

• VIP
  • 296 posts

• Flag: France

• Favorite Pinball: Elvira and the Party Monsters ; Terminator 2

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

Just an idea... Do you think it would be possible to add an option to choose the channel (Left of Right) we want to display the EMreels on, for 3D stereo purpose? That way we could fake the 3D with the EMreels by using 2 different textures with 2 different points of view.

#4 kiwi

kiwi

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 2,517 posts

• Flag: Italy

• Favorite Pinball: Star Trek 25th Anniversary

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

I read in another thread that Fuzzel says that the primitive objects dependent on the CPU.
I have a simple test table with 8 primitive objects, no alpha ramps, I see that the CPU is at 25% and the GPU at 99% .
Another thing that I said , when I press the F11 key to check the frames, the GPU drops to 71% and the flippers lag disappears (maybe it can help you understand how to optimize primitive objects).

Thanks

Max

#5 EalaDubhSidhe

EalaDubhSidhe

Elder solid-statesman

• VIP
  • 1,094 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: The one I like most is always the one I'll make next.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

I expect that primatives will universally FANTASTIC once DX-9 optimization has been able to be carried out... but not before then.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 fuzzel

fuzzel

spaghetti code

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

• Favorite Pinball: yes I have

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:08 PM

I read in another thread that Fuzzel says that the primitive objects dependent on the CPU.
I have a simple test table with 8 primitive objects, no alpha ramps, I see that the CPU is at 25% and the GPU at 99% .
Another thing that I said , when I press the F11 key to check the frames, the GPU drops to 71% and the flippers lag disappears (maybe it can help you understand how to optimize primitive objects).

Thanks

Max

In the newer builds primitives are rendered by using vertex buffers this is only another step towards DX9. Primitives are rendered each frame instead of blitting them as most of the other stuff. I haven't checked the GPU usage after the change though ;)

#7 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:05 AM

Something to test for you guys:

I just (rev 544) added configurable lightsources to VP, that means you can now replace the two (for now its two) builtin lightsources with whatever params you like..

Please let me know how that goes or if there are any quirks.. The only downside for now is that DX7 still runs on vertex lighting, i.e. everything that is badly tesselated (f.e. a wall that stretches over the full table like commonly used) will look like crap with this as the lighting will only be done on the corners and then interpolated..

But maybe i'll add a tesselation option for this kinds of low-polygon walls?

#8 LoadedWeapon

LoadedWeapon

The Night Owl..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Star Trek TNG

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:04 AM

Cool I will run some test/benchmarks tomorrow when I get in. Thanks for all the continued work.

#9 kiwi

kiwi

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

Thanks

Max

In the newer builds primitives are rendered by using vertex buffers this is only another step towards DX9. Primitives are rendered each frame instead of blitting them as most of the other stuff. I haven't checked the GPU usage after the change though ;)

Thanks fuzzel for the explanation.
Even before the changes, the primitive objects used much GPU.
Thanks for the continuous improvements to the VP.

Max

#10 kiwi

kiwi

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

Wow , Super new feature.
I still don't understand how it works, but it seems very interesting.
Change from day to night is now very easy.

Thanks

Max

#11 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

It's actually pretty simple:

VP previously -always- had two lightsources enabled, but both were hardwired to be directional lightsources (basically like infinetly far away lightsources, is nowadays still used in games/rendering from time to time to "emulate" f.e. sun-lighting) that had fixed orientation, so already this was screwed up as soon as you tweaked table parameters like rotation. Then also the colors were hardcoded (to what you see if you open the "new" table for example), which also sucked extremeley IMHO.

Now you can tweak which lightsource type (point (uses pos), spotlight (uses pos and dir) or directional (uses dir)) and colors (unfortunately this is still an ancient lighting model with stupid parameter splitting into ambient, diffuse and specular) are used. And of course you can change pos and/or dir: both are in the same coordinate system as the table (i hope :) ..at least i tried), so x and y are the same as the table elements, z is correspondend to height.

As an example: if you create a directional light with dir 0,0,-1 (pos is not needed for directional) then you have a light that is exactly over the table and shining equally over the full table.

If you create a point light with pos 500, 1000, 400 (dir is not needed for point) then you have a light that is roughly in the middle of your table and floating near the virtual playfield glass (depends on the table dimensions of course) shining in all directions.

If you create a spot with pos 500, 1000, 400 and dir 0,0,-1 then you have a light similar to the point light, but only shining in a certain direction.

Edited by toxie, 22 April 2013 - 04:20 PM.

#12 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 6,440 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: I like both new and old, but I guess I prefer modern tables with some rules and goals to achieve.

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

Interesting! :)

These are my tables, sorted by date, all them playable with VPX 7 or newer:

vp.jpg

After 18 years making tables, it is time to take a rest and let new authors do their thing.

I guess at last I'll play some more pinball :). But I'm sure I'll make some table updates from time to time :)

#13 kiwi

kiwi

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

Now everything is clear.
This was an excuse to say thank you before I had tested well.
Would be good if you could save the settings of the lightsources such as "preset" (drop-down selection), so we may have more available settings of the lights, and the same thing for setting of the table,inclination,FOV,Layback,etc...

Thanks Again

Max

#14 jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 832 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Comet

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

Has some cool potential and looks like a nice quick way to make tables darker and set some nice "moods".  However, would it be possible to be able to exclude light objects as they don't really look "lit" afterward -  currently when the table has been darkend so are the light objects.  It seems that basic VP lights, without textures mapped to them, still show their normal colours / brightness regardless of the new light source settings but lights based on graphics / textures get the affect applied. 

Would be awesome to make the lights really pop if they could be exluded or a flag set on light objects to bypass / enable the lighting effects / table darkening (don't know why right now basic lights already bypass this but textures do not).  In a general sense too, having the option to bypass the lighting on playfield lighting / light objects for playfield GI would be great as some really nice photoshop work can end up losing a lot of pop sometimes with the way VP seems to render things and I suspect that these light source aspects (from the past and staticly set) have had a role.  Would love to get the chance to check this out more if lights could still be there intended brightness.  Thanks guys for the continued tweaking and ideas on making VP better.

Edited by jimmyfingers, 22 April 2013 - 08:41 PM.

#15 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

Great idea.. Shouldn't be a problem..

#16 kruge99

kruge99

Pinball Wizard

• VPF Staff
  • 3,901 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Black Knight, High Speed and Pin*Bot

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

I wonder if this is a progression to the next step - an actual 'light-bulb' object that casts light, and objects that block the rays, cast shadows...  :think:  :Worship:

[proud owner of a Williams Solar Fire]

- It's called "The American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it.
George Carlin
- Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
Henrik Tikkanen
- "Reality check, Michelle, Talk about composure, Total lack of. He's a man-- About-- 12 Feet Tall--"
Carrie Kelly
Posted Image

#17 unclewilly

unclewilly

sofa king.....

• VIP
  • 5,083 posts

• Favorite Pinball: tz, tom, big hurt, who dunnit

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:18 AM

Along the lines of what jimmy said about the light objects. Perhaps the same flag for alpha ramps as they are being used for flashers more frequently now. This is very interesting settings. Been playing with it a little Thanks for all your work on vp. A light bulb object. That would be awesome. But not so easy to implement mr kruge, I would imagine

"it will all be ok in the end, if it's not ok, it's not the end"

Monster Bash VP10 WIP https://dl.dropboxus... (vpx)WIP15.vpx

uw2.gif

#18 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:41 AM

I wonder if this is a progression to the next step - an actual 'light-bulb' object that casts light, and objects that block the rays, cast shadows...  :think:  :Worship:

Rest assured that i would be the first to tackle this, but for now realtime ray tracing is just a tiny bit too slow to do useful stuff.. :)

And doing all of that with rasterization is just a nightmare IMHO..

But rendering technology is pretty close nowadays to have reasonably fast realtime ray tracing on high end cards..

(and here is an example of how pinball could look with ray tracing: http://igad.nhtv.nl/...re Be Light.msi (not done by me, but a colleague of mine))

#19 toxie

toxie

VPF Veteran

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:09 AM

It seems that basic VP lights, without textures mapped to them, still show their normal colours / brightness regardless of the new light source settings but lights based on graphics / textures get the affect applied. 

I just looked at the source for that, and as usual, there are whacky special cases all over the place that cause this.. :/

#20 faralos

faralos

VPF Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Flash (Williams) 1979, Flash2 Updated

• Trophies:

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

you mentioned that walls that cover the entire play field area still can't be used

or would look odd,

do you mean walls that are used for play fields that drop?

or ones that do not drop but stay up for images to be placed onto them for art in the pf

and to have light bulbs that can be moved around would be the bees knees!

imagine play field flasher bulbs that look real and cast real time shadows!

now all vp needs are reflections to truly rival fp!

"Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.”
----Steve Jobs