embryon1111

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Embryon

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

Hello fellow pinballers.  I have a cabinet running just future pinball (for now).  Currently, I have 2 switches hooked into my ipac for tilting.  I don't know the proper name of these switches, but they are tiny tubes with a little steel ball inside that activates when the ball hits one end of the tube.  Anyways. . . .I find using this as a nudging/tilt switch only 'ok' at best.  I have been doing some research for the best way to achieve tilt/nudge and have read everything from using a wiimote (via bluetooth - glovepie) to hanging a disassembled flight stick upside down (with a weight on the end), to using a PC Wingman controller (with motion sensor).  Any feedback on this would be awesome, as I find its essential to have an accurate nudge/tilt option to my cab.  Thanks!!  

#2 open6l

open6l

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 639 posts

• Favorite Pinball: TRON Legacy

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

personally I use a microsoft sidewinder analog gamepad. This provides me with 360 degree analog nudging. It works perfectly in Future Pinball. Just set up the controller in windows first and then calibrate it to how hard you want the nudging to be - then select it inside of FP.

For VP the nudging seems to be hit and miss with certain tables depending on the build of VP. Some are really good (more recent tables) and require little to no adjustment. Others are waaaaay off.

I've had no issues with the hardware itself and it cost me about $12 on ebay for a used sidewinder.

open6l___gaming.png

#3 htamas

htamas

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 2,155 posts

• Flag: Hungary

• Favorite Pinball: cannot pick just one, and they change anyway

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

I'm using a tilt bob. For the most part, it works fine but as open6l wrote, there is some difference between tables how do they react. I play a lot less FP than VP, so I'm not sure how consistent it is there. It seems to be OK.

#4 embryon1111

embryon1111

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

kk....thanks for the input......going to ebay to look for a sidewinder!!!  :o)  :o)

oh wait....I have a logitech analog gamepad....I wonder can this be used???

#5 Centrox

Centrox

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 162 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Congo

• PS3 Gamer Tag: baribarinogamer
  • 360 Gamer Tag: EvilDorkJedi

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

You need to look for a Sidewinder Freestyle. That's the one with motion sensor built in.

"Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who"

#6 htamas

htamas

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 2,155 posts

• Flag: Hungary

• Favorite Pinball: cannot pick just one, and they change anyway

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

How do you connect such a gamepad if it has a game port plug? Do you have to install an old sound card just to have this connector? And what about the driver, is there one available for those running Windows 7? I suppose the driver does exist for XP, but it may be problematic with Win7.

#7 Shakenbake

Shakenbake

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Funhouse

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

Has to be a USB gamepad

#8 embryon1111

embryon1111

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:51 AM

ahhhhhh.......motion sensor....of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

#9 open6l

open6l

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 639 posts

• Favorite Pinball: TRON Legacy

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:07 AM

yeah sorry - meant to say the Microsoft Sidewinder Freestyle Pro. It has a motion sensor in it and as I said you should be able to get one for about $10-15 on ebay.

Note: It's a 15pin connector but it also comes with a usb adapter - so make sure they include the adapter if you get one.

Looks exactly like this pic (also shows adapter)

http://i.ebayimg.com...AAMXQTghRLo2h/$(KGrHqJ,!ooFC72n+wIRBRLo2hT)-w~~60_57.JPG

Comes with a usb adapter that connects to the 15pin cable and windows 7 has a native Microsoft Sidewinder driver so its a non-issue.

How do you connect such a gamepad if it has a game port plug? Do you have to install an old sound card just to have this connector? And what about the driver, is there one available for those running Windows 7? I suppose the driver does exist for XP, but it may be problematic with Win7.

open6l___gaming.png