usul27

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• Flag: Switzerland

• Favorite Pinball: AC/DC

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:25 AM

I'm looking for a free play option on Gottlieb Series 3 tables (like Tee'd off), but can't find it. Is there no free play option or do I miss something?

#2 destruk

destruk

VPF Veteran

• VPF Staff
  • 6,307 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Ultrapin!

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE (usul27 @ Aug 1 2012, 01:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm looking for a free play option on Gottlieb Series 3 tables (like Tee'd off), but can't find it. Is there no free play option or do I miss something?

Add this to the beginning of the keydown section in the script -
Sub Table1_KeyDown(ByVal keycode)

CODE
if keycode=30 then controller.switch(5)=Not Controller.Switch(5) 'tournament switch
if keycode=31 then controller.switch(6)=Not Controller.Switch(6) 'door switch

Start the table, wait for the self test to run through and attract mode to begin, and then press A, use the left flipper to highlight free play, press the right flipper to change it to "ON", then press S to close the coin door.
AFAIK this setting can't be saved as tournament stats are not retained when the game is powered off, so you'd need to do this every time the game boots up.
It's easier to simply load the maximum credits on the game, and then backup the nvram and copy over it when credits get low (IMO) than setting it to free play every time.

Edited by destruk, 01 August 2012 - 07:08 PM.

Build a fire, vipers love the heat.

#3 koadic

koadic

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,363 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family/Fish Tales/Medieval Madness

Contributor

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (destruk @ Aug 1 2012, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

CODE
if keycode=30 then controller.switch(5)=Not Controller.Switch(5) 'tournament switch

Start the table, wait for the self test to run through and attract mode to begin, and then press A, use the left flipper to highlight free play, press the right flipper to change it to "ON", then press S to close the coin door.
AFAIK this setting can't be saved as tournament stats are not retained when the game is powered off, so you'd need to do this every time the game boots up.
It's easier to simply load the maximum credits on the game, and then backup the nvram and copy over it when credits get low (IMO) than setting it to free play every time.

If you are suggesting script changes, why don't you just do this biggrin.gif :

Taken from gts3.vbs
CODE
Function vpmKeyDown(ByVal keycode)
On Error Resume Next
vpmKeyDown = True ' assume we handle the key
With Controller
If keycode = RightFlipperKey Then .Switch(swLRFlip) = True
If keycode = LeftFlipperKey Then .Switch(swLLFlip) = True

Select Case keycode
Case keyInsertCoin1 vpmTimer.AddTimer 750,"vpmTimer.PulseSw swCoin1'" : Playsound SCoin
Case keyInsertCoin2 vpmTimer.AddTimer 750,"vpmTimer.PulseSw swCoin2'" : Playsound SCoin
Case keyInsertCoin3 vpmTimer.AddTimer 750,"vpmTimer.PulseSw swCoin3'" : Playsound SCoin
Case keyInsertCoin4 vpmTimer.AddTimer 750,"vpmTimer.PulseSw swCoin4'" : Playsound SCoin
Case StartGameKey vpmTimer.AddTimer 750,"vpmTimer.PulseSw swCoin1'" : Playsound SCoin : .Switch(swStartButton) = True
Case keySelfTest .Switch(swDiagnostic) = True
Case keySlamDoorHit .Switch(swSlamTilt) = True

That way, for all Gottlieb Series 3 tables, whenever the start button is pressed, it will add a credit and then start the game, basically making it freeplay. biggrin.gif

#4 Joe

Joe

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 2,337 posts

• Favorite Pinball: New Stern ones

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE (koadic @ Aug 1 2012, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (destruk @ Aug 1 2012, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

CODE

If you are suggesting script changes, why don't you just do this biggrin.gif :

Taken from gts3.vbs
CODE
Function vpmKeyDown(ByVal keycode)
On Error Resume Next
vpmKeyDown = True ' assume we handle the key
With Controller
If keycode = RightFlipperKey Then .Switch(swLRFlip) = True
If keycode = LeftFlipperKey Then .Switch(swLLFlip) = True

Select Case keycode
Case keyInsertCoin1 vpmTimer.AddTimer 750,"vpmTimer.PulseSw swCoin1'" : Playsound SCoin
Case keyInsertCoin2 vpmTimer.AddTimer 750,"vpmTimer.PulseSw swCoin2'" : Playsound SCoin
Case keyInsertCoin3 vpmTimer.AddTimer 750,"vpmTimer.PulseSw swCoin3'" : Playsound SCoin
Case keyInsertCoin4 vpmTimer.AddTimer 750,"vpmTimer.PulseSw swCoin4'" : Playsound SCoin
Case StartGameKey vpmTimer.AddTimer 750,"vpmTimer.PulseSw swCoin1'" : Playsound SCoin : .Switch(swStartButton) = True

That way, for all Gottlieb Series 3 tables, whenever the start button is pressed, it will add a credit and then start the game, basically making it freeplay. biggrin.gif

older systems games don't have the tournament switch

#5 usul27

usul27

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• Flag: Switzerland

• Favorite Pinball: AC/DC

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for the help, not sure if I want to modify the table scripts.

#6 1moreastronaut

1moreastronaut

Hobbyist

• Platinum Supporter
  • 29 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: The Addams Family / F-14 Tomcat / BK2000

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:02 PM

Not sure if you're still watching this thread (I'm only 2 years late to the party), but for Gottlieb/Premier System 3 tables, the following will get you into adjustments:

1. Hit "7", which is the "Test Button". Don't use the numeric pad.
  2. The display will tell you that hitting the "L. White Button" will take you to game adjustments. The "L. White Button" is actually the Left Flipper button. Hit that.
  3. You'll now be given an option to hit the "Credit Button" (1 on your keyboard or whatever your start button is) to load factory settings or the "Test Button" (7) to go to adjustments.
  4. The Test button will cycle you through the adjustment options. Free Play is adjustment 29.
  5. The Left and Right Flipper buttons alter the settings. Hitting the Right Flipper button on adjustment 29 will allow you to set Free Play to "ON".
  6. HOME on your keyboard will save your adjustments and exit the menu.

This worked for me on Class of 1812, another Gottlieb System 3 pin. I'm assuming the same method will work on Tee'd Off (which I don't have installed at the moment).

#7 scottacus

scottacus

Enthusiast

• Gold Supporter
  • 307 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:12 PM

I'm just learning how to edit scripts and found that adding the code to "Teed Off":

Select Case keycode
End Select

Inside the subroutine "Sub Table1_KeyDown(ByVal Keycode)"

This coined up the game with the start button as Koadic said above to set the game to Free play because there is no "Tournament" option under adjustment 29 in the game's settings.

In the end the script looks like this

'**********
 ' Keys
 '**********

Sub Table1_KeyDown(ByVal Keycode)
     If keycode = RightFlipperKey Then Controller.Switch(82) = 1
     If keycode = LeftFlipperKey Then Controller.Switch(81) = 1
     If keycode = LeftTiltKey Then LeftNudge 80, 1.2, 20:PlaySound "nudge_left"
     If keycode = RightTiltKey Then RightNudge 280, 1.2, 20:PlaySound "nudge_right"
     If keycode = CenterTiltKey Then CenterNudge 0, 1.6, 25:PlaySound "nudge_forward"
     If keycode = 45 Then LeftNudge 80, 2, 30:PlaySound "nudge_left"
     If keycode = 52 Then RightNudge 280, 2, 30:PlaySound "nudge_right"
     If vpmKeyDown(keycode) Then Exit Sub
     If keycode = PlungerKey Then Plunger.Pullback':Pcount = 0:PTime.Enabled = 1
     If keycode = KeyRules Then Rules

Select Case keycode
End Select

End Sub 

I hope this helps someone set up their Teed Off!

Edited by scottacus, 09 June 2016 - 03:45 PM.

#8 mrarcade

mrarcade

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Monster Bash

Posted 21 November 2021 - 07:23 PM

Reviving an old thread since I just needed to get freeplay on some older tables.

I had no idea I could edit the vbs files. This is awesome. Always make a backup copy of the original file so you can always get back to the working starting point.

This edit works on bally, inder, and 6803 so far.

Thanks!

Edited by mrarcade, 21 November 2021 - 08:09 PM.