• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: High Speed

Posted 17 July 2011 - 03:46 AM

---Topic Split from http://www.vpforums....showtopic=14046---

QUOTE (Noah Fentz @ Jul 11 2011, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope.

I can provide MUCH better service this way.

smile.gif

Indeed that is true! Product arrived yesterday and now have it installed and all works as expected except for one thing.... I tried the calibration process and the plunger isn't working as I expected. I pull the plunger and the virtual plunger in the screen hardly moves...unless I push the plunger rather than pull it. Am I missing something here? BTW not sure if this is the right place to post this question but it is an active thread in regards to this product. smile.gif
Any pointers would be much appreciated!

John

Edited by Noah Fentz, 17 July 2011 - 08:09 PM.

#2 destruk

destruk

VPF Veteran

• VPF Staff
  • 6,307 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Ultrapin!

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:56 AM

If the plunger is the default plunger for VP - then you need to make sure the box is checked for "enable mechanical plunger" and resave the table. Also, the plunger is the Z-axis of the controller, so during calibration you would get to that point, maybe check the box for show RAW data, and push the plunger all the way in and pull it all the way out.

Lots of tables do not use the default plunger, so you can use the plunger button or edit the tables to get your analog plunger to do something with those.

Build a fire, vipers love the heat.

#3 Sheltemke

Sheltemke

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

• Flag: Hungary

• Favorite Pinball: Indiana Jones(Williams), Attack from Mars

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:13 AM

Hello guys!

Thinking about buying a pinball wizard controller for VP and have some question.
-This is the best controller atm for VP when i use simple pc and not cab atm?
-How about kicker strength ? If i pull less the VP can emulate it? (for example in TOTAN i can shoot all 3 hole?)
-How nudge is working? You have to hit a little the entire controller to nudge the ball in right direction or?

I read comments here but didn't see answer of these questions if i miss it sorry guys.

Best regards
Sheltemke

#4 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

'Rasslin' Fan

• VPF Administrator
  • 12,189 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Whitewater

• PS3 Gamer Tag: noahfentz

Contributor

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:32 AM

The plunger is entirely customizable.

The nudge is controlled by an accelerometer, so you have to move the controller to get movement on the ball. In the editor, you can adjust the amount of nudge that occurs.

IdleReel.gif RumbleDMD.jpg HS2-DMD.jpg SBM.jpg ww_logo.jpg EK.jpg

T2.jpg Sorcerer.jpg Breakshot.jpg Firepower.jpg GorGar.jpg StarTrek.jpg

My Photobucket Resources
Whether You Believe You Can, Or You Can't, You Are Right." - Henry Ford
The future of pinball lives, it just needs to be nurtured!
If you're here to stab me in the back, you're going to have to get in line.

#5 pinuck

pinuck

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 514 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Jacks Open, AFM, TOM

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (Noah Fentz @ Jul 17 2011, 07:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The plunger is entirely customizable.

The nudge is controlled by an accelerometer, so you have to move the controller to get movement on the ball. In the editor, you can adjust the amount of nudge that occurs.

how does the accelerometer compare to the U-HID one?

#6 JMSTECH

JMSTECH

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (destruk @ Jul 16 2011, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the plunger is the default plunger for VP - then you need to make sure the box is checked for "enable mechanical plunger" and resave the table. Also, the plunger is the Z-axis of the controller, so during calibration you would get to that point, maybe check the box for show RAW data, and push the plunger all the way in and pull it all the way out.

Lots of tables do not use the default plunger, so you can use the plunger button or edit the tables to get your analog plunger to do something with those.

Hi destruk,

Thanks and I tried to find the box to check mark this but can't seem to find it in either the calibration section nor in VP. So if you can be so kind, give me a pointer where to locate this? Many thanks in advance!

John

#7 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

'Rasslin' Fan

• VPF Administrator
  • 12,189 posts

Contributor

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:16 PM

Hi John,

The setting you're looking for is in the plunger object options.

Open a new table (the VP9 default table) and click the plunger object.

@ pinuck - I've never used a U-HID, so I really couldn't say. Maybe I'll pick one up and compare in the future.

My Photobucket Resources

#8 JMSTECH

JMSTECH

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (Noah Fentz @ Jul 17 2011, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi John,

The setting you're looking for is in the plunger object options.

Open a new table (the VP9 default table) and click the plunger object.

@ pinuck - I've never used a U-HID, so I really couldn't say. Maybe I'll pick one up and compare in the future.

Thanks Noah,

Found it now smile.gif I also forgot to mention that my right flipper key also operates the plunger which is weird. Also clicking the mech plunger box still doesn't change my issues of the virtual plunger hardly moving when pulling the mechanical plunger from Nanotech. I'm sure it's a simple thing since I feel I am getting close.

John

#9 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

'Rasslin' Fan

• VPF Administrator
  • 12,189 posts

Contributor

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:06 PM

The best thing to do is to open the Game Controllers utility and check out your button mapping. If you press your right flipper key, and two buttons are mapped, you have your wires crossed somewhere.

As for the plunger, it must not be calibrated properly. As destruk mentioned, check the 'Show Raw Data' box to see if the plunger is translating the full range of motion data. If it is, then it's a calibration issue.

Let me know.

My Photobucket Resources

#10 JMSTECH

JMSTECH

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:07 AM

QUOTE (Noah Fentz @ Jul 17 2011, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The best thing to do is to open the Game Controllers utility and check out your button mapping. If you press your right flipper key, and two buttons are mapped, you have your wires crossed somewhere.

As for the plunger, it must not be calibrated properly. As destruk mentioned, check the 'Show Raw Data' box to see if the plunger is translating the full range of motion data. If it is, then it's a calibration issue.

Let me know.

OK I have a question.. in the mapping when I press right flipper button, map says buttons 1 & 2 lights up. This doesn't sound right does it? Should it only be one button light up? Wiring seems pretty straight forwards but I just have the essentials such as right, left flippers, exist game, coin, pause game, test. Digital plunger from Nanotech is connected to the SATA inputs.
Also another note, games load really sluggish in Hyperpin or the playing field and back glass sometimes show or not during menu selection and this was after I installed the Mot-Ion kit. I uninstalled anything to do with the I-PAC I had and clean the registry before installation of the Mot-Ion kit.

OK I'll have a second look at the raw data files for it was one of the first things I did to trouble shoot this but will look again! biggrin.gif

John

Edited by JMSTECH, 18 July 2011 - 07:10 AM.

#11 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

'Rasslin' Fan

• VPF Administrator
  • 12,189 posts

Contributor

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:43 AM

Only one button should light up at a time in the Windows Game Controller configuration. Right flipper and coin1 are on separate wire harness, even, so I would think it's something in the wiring.

The kit has never had an effect on the load times of HP, nor does it affect anything that would have an effect on load times. Not sure what would cause that to make it seem like the controller.

My Photobucket Resources

#12 JMSTECH

JMSTECH

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:04 AM

QUOTE (Noah Fentz @ Jul 18 2011, 12:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Only one button should light up at a time in the Windows Game Controller configuration. Right flipper and coin1 are on separate wire harness, even, so I would think it's something in the wiring.

The kit has never had an effect on the load times of HP, nor does it affect anything that would have an effect on load times. Not sure what would cause that to make it seem like the controller.

Hi Noah,

OK I double checked my wiring and even cleaned it up and right flipper goes to j4-2, left flipper goes to j6-2 and they worked as before. Start goes to j6-1, exit game goes to j4-8. All ground are in series and connected to j4-10 and j6-10. Still the right flipper activates the plunger. Maybe the Mot-Ion MCU was misaligned during assembly? QFN is not nice to solder and even with a pick and place CNC.

John

#13 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

'Rasslin' Fan

• VPF Administrator
  • 12,189 posts

Contributor

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:11 AM

Is this happening on all tables?

If you can't resolve this, let's go ahead and have you send it back to me, and I'll give it a go. I'll either send it back to you with the issue resolved or a new board.

Drop it into a small, 3"x5" or 4"x6", bubble wrap envelope, and shipping will be minimal.

My Photobucket Resources

#14 JMSTECH

JMSTECH

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:58 AM

QUOTE (Noah Fentz @ Jul 18 2011, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you can't resolve this, let's go ahead and have you send it back to me, and I'll give it a go. I'll either send it back to you with the issue resolved or a new board.

Drop it into a small, 3"x5" or 4"x6", bubble wrap envelope, and shipping will be minimal.

Hi Noah,

Yep, happening to all the tables and also making the games really sluggish ... almost like there is a conflict. I'll give another go tomorrow night and if it doesn't work.. then I'll send it back less the cables since you do not need that and it's all crimped. smile.gif I'll PM you when I send it back with tracking number. Thanks for the AWESOME SUPPORT! dblthumb.gif

OH one more thing.... when you say send it back with issue fixed..does it mean you can program the board? (USB-TTL?) Just curious.
John

Edited by JMSTECH, 19 July 2011 - 06:01 AM.

#15 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

'Rasslin' Fan

• VPF Administrator
  • 12,189 posts

Contributor

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:03 AM

The first thing I'll do is test it. If I can't resolve the issue, I'll call Dave and see what he wants to do about it. I have more kits coming, so we'll work it out, no worries.

My Photobucket Resources

#16 kruge99

kruge99

Pinball Wizard

• VPF Staff
  • 3,901 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Black Knight, High Speed and Pin*Bot

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (JMSTECH @ Jul 19 2011, 01:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Noah,

Yep, happening to all the tables and also making the games really sluggish ... almost like there is a conflict. I'll give another go tomorrow night and if it doesn't work.. then I'll send it back less the cables since you do not need that and it's all crimped. smile.gif I'll PM you when I send it back with tracking number. Thanks for the AWESOME SUPPORT! dblthumb.gif

OH one more thing.... when you say send it back with issue fixed..does it mean you can program the board? (USB-TTL?) Just curious.
John

Maybe test it on a completely different computer in case the USB port/s on your cabinet PC are acting up? Also, electronic 'noise' from the power supply can interfere with the proper operation of some peripherals, including keyboards if not grounded properly... And infrared keyboard drivers have been known to affect VP as well. Were those ruled out as a possibility?

Best Regards,
Todd.
[proud owner of a Williams Solar Fire]

- It's called "The American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it.
George Carlin
- Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
Henrik Tikkanen
- "Reality check, Michelle, Talk about composure, Total lack of. He's a man-- About-- 12 Feet Tall--"
Carrie Kelly
Posted Image

#17 JMSTECH

JMSTECH

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (kruge99 @ Jul 19 2011, 03:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Noah,

John

Maybe test it on a completely different computer in case the USB port/s on your cabinet PC are acting up? Also, electronic 'noise' from the power supply can interfere with the proper operation of some peripherals, including keyboards if not grounded properly... And infrared keyboard drivers have been known to affect VP as well. Were those ruled out as a possibility?

Best Regards,
Todd.

Hi Todd,

Funny how I was thinking about testing out the USB too since I recently experienced on a different PC for a different scenario that USB started to do some really funky things! Had to reload Windows to fix the problem. As for power supply.... Mot-Ion is placed far from anything electrical and I am going on the fact that the PC PS is well insulated being that it is designed to power a PC (even though it is a switching PS.) Lets hope you are right about the USB thing! As for IR KB affecting VP... I never knew that! I have a IR mouse atm!

John

Edited by JMSTECH, 19 July 2011 - 02:57 PM.

#18 kruge99

kruge99

Pinball Wizard

• VPF Staff
  • 3,901 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Black Knight, High Speed and Pin*Bot

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE (JMSTECH @ Jul 19 2011, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (kruge99 @ Jul 19 2011, 03:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Noah,

John

Best Regards,
Todd.

Hi Todd,

Funny how I was thinking about testing out the USB too since I recently experienced on a different PC for a different scenario that USB started to do some really funky things! Had to reload Windows to fix the problem. As for power supply.... Mot-Ion is placed far from anything electrical and I am going on the fact that the PC PS is well insulated being that it is designed to power a PC (even though it is a switching PS.) Lets hope you are right about the USB thing! As for IR KB affecting VP... I never knew that! I have a IR mouse atm!

John

Hi John,

take a look at this forum topic: http://www.vpforums....?showtopic=3248

In post #4, I pasted a link I found how to replace the keyboard driver with a good one that doesn't hijack and re-arrange the keys.

Check to see if you have an MCIR driver listed in your keyboard settings and only implement the change if you do.

Best Regards,
Todd.

[proud owner of a Williams Solar Fire]

- It's called "The American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it.
George Carlin
- Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
Henrik Tikkanen
- "Reality check, Michelle, Talk about composure, Total lack of. He's a man-- About-- 12 Feet Tall--"
Carrie Kelly
Posted Image

#19 yvonne3d

yvonne3d

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Totan

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:57 AM

Got some problems with the motion plunger aswell
1. it took 7 weeks to get here.....
2. Installed it wire J4-8 missing pfff *exit game).
3. Plunger not recognized in future pinball.
4. When i exit the table....backglass stays on.
5. Reset button not working aswell
Everything is getting very fustrating cause support on this....."thing " is poor very poor.
I remember a phrase from TRON "on the other side it al looked so simple" not for the Nanotech plunger though.

Anybody suggestions...

Thanks in advance

#20 bossgp

bossgp

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 116 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: My own "Silverball Secrets"

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:21 PM

opened the nanotech plunger kit pity they don't come with instructions had to find their web site and download the instructions which in my eyes are not so great because nothing about how to mount the small pcb in the cab , which way to mount it after 2 hrs still have not got it to work, does not work with all the tables in vp such an expensive piece of hardware with no support for newbees don't get me wrong not complaining just hard to sort something out without instructions included in the package

Edited by bossgp, 23 July 2011 - 12:23 PM.