Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

• Flag: Brazil

• Favorite Pinball: AFM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:56 PM

Hello friends, how are you?

I have an Capcom Airborne machine, fully restored by myself, and I'd like to replace all lamps by leds.

After some tests and talking with Mr. William Puftz, he told me that Capcom pinball software have a feature to keep the flash and matrix lamp filament warmer (by blinking it too fast for the filament to react) to lengthened the life of the bulb by limiting the inrush current.

Of course, LED’s do not have a filament, and they react instantly. So you see the fast warming blinks. I did a video to show this to Mr. Puftz. You can see here:

Well, I think we can replace the warming code by simple "nothing to do" cpu instructions, but I don't nothing about Capcom pinball software.

The only thing I have to help to this project, is my pinball machine to test and an eprom programmer.

Please contact me if somebody would like to help.

Thanks.

José Renato Castro Milanez aka Gore Daimon

Itajubá - MG

Brazil

#2 destruk

destruk

VPF Veteran

• VPF Staff
  • 6,307 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Ultrapin!

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:38 PM

What you want to do is buy these -- http://www.pinballli...o...&parent=192

Guaranteed to eliminate ghosting on CAPCOM

Build a fire, vipers love the heat.

#3 rob046

rob046

Often Emulated, Never Duplicated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

• Favorite Pinball: 8 Ball Deluxe, ToM, & Funhouse

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:10 AM

I seen & played a Big Bang Bar almost 2 years ago that I believe was completely fitted with LED's, must of been using the bulb's destruk linked to.

#4 goredaimon

goredaimon

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (destruk @ May 1 2011, 12:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What you want to do is buy these -- http://www.pinballli...o...&parent=192

Guaranteed to eliminate ghosting on CAPCOM

Hello destruk! Thanks for your reply!

Terry ablaze ghost busters are good for small inserts only. It's not good for GI, large inserts and pop bumpers.

Cointaker have a lot of options for replacement, with better results. But they don't have ghost busters leds yet. sad.gif

Another one is the Pinballcenter with the noflix plus leds: http://www.pinballce...lix-advantages/
These leds have an small capacitor inside, and also, they are equipped with superflux (or piranha) led, more powerfull than Pinball Life model. But prices are high. sad.gif

Finally, we have the same problem for the flash lamps and nobody have led flash lamps prepared for Capcom pinballs.

I think software modification is faster and cheaper than hardware modification. Also, It's possible to solve the flash lamp problem too.
I think is better to be free when select your led lamp style than have only a few options to buy.

Good sunday!

Itajubá - MG

Brazil

#5 destruk

destruk

VPF Veteran

• VPF Staff
  • 6,307 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:13 PM

Nothing but problems then I see. Let us know when you get it reprogrammed and we'll add your modifications to PinMAME.

#6 goredaimon

goredaimon

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE (destruk @ May 1 2011, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nothing but problems then I see. Let us know when you get it reprogrammed and we'll add your modifications to PinMAME.

Destruk, good evening.

I saw you did the latest svn trunk. I downloaded the tarball and the mingw to compile pinmame.
It's easy to compile? It's possible to compile a debug version?

Itajubá - MG

Brazil

#7 destruk

destruk

VPF Veteran

• VPF Staff
  • 6,307 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:00 AM

QUOTE (goredaimon @ May 2 2011, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (destruk @ May 1 2011, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Destruk, good evening.

I saw you did the latest svn trunk. I downloaded the tarball and the mingw to compile pinmame.
It's easy to compile? It's possible to compile a debug version?

The SVN comes with directions - follow those and you should be ok.

#8 cupid

cupid

Enthusiast

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: Dr Who

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:00 PM

I'm not an electronics expert and this may be BullSh%t, but rather to look at the code of the rom, i would buy some capacitors and wire them as a low pass between the pins of the LED.

I would buy some very small capacitors and try to add more and more until the desired output is reached (and the delay of the flash is not to high).

But there have to be some threads about that on the net. i can't believe nobody solved it without changing the rom.

Cupid
The world is devided into people who think they are right.

#9 goredaimon

goredaimon

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (cupid @ May 3 2011, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not an electronics expert and this may be BullSh%t, but rather to look at the code of the rom, i would buy some capacitors and wire them as a low pass between the pins of the LED.

I would buy some very small capacitors and try to add more and more until the desired output is reached (and the delay of the flash is not to high).

But there have to be some threads about that on the net. i can't believe nobody solved it without changing the rom.

Cupid

Hello Cupid, how are you?

The capacitor idea was my first idea, but in capcom pinballs we have 2 8x8 lamp matrix and 32 solenoids or flashers.
It's a lot of work and just only for me. And the other capcom pinball owners? I think it's easy to work on the software instead of hardware
modifications.

Do you know this project? http://emmytech.com/...ting/index.html

Itajubá - MG

Brazil

#10 destruk

destruk

VPF Veteran

• VPF Staff
  • 6,307 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE (goredaimon @ May 4 2011, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cupid

The capacitor idea was my first idea, but in capcom pinballs we have 2 8x8 lamp matrix and 32 solenoids or flashers.
It's a lot of work and just only for me. And the other capcom pinball owners? I think it's easy to work on the software instead of hardware
modifications.

I haven't seen any other capcom users ask about this 'problem'. If you find some who want it changed, maybe they can help you. If it really was easier to work with software, I'd have a fix posted right here right now for you, but in this case, you should try modifying the software and see how easy it is.? The hardware solution is most likely easier IMO. The link you posted only works for WPC, and Capcom uses widely different code and different opcodes and different routines and different access and different self tests and different power system, so while the theory is great, it's useless for what you are asking any further than how a lamp turns on and off.

Edited by destruk, 04 May 2011 - 11:27 PM.

#11 goredaimon

goredaimon

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:32 AM

QUOTE (destruk @ May 5 2011, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (goredaimon @ May 4 2011, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cupid

modifications.

I haven't seen any other capcom users ask about this 'problem'. If you find some who want it changed, maybe they can help you. If it really was easier to work with software, I'd have a fix posted right here right now for you, but in this case, you should try modifying the software and see how easy it is.? The hardware solution is most likely easier IMO. The link you posted only works for WPC, and Capcom uses widely different code and different opcodes and different routines and different access and different self tests and different power system, so while the theory is great, it's useless for what you are asking any further than how a lamp turns on and off.

Hello Destruk, how are you?

The link I posted works for WPC, of course, but the idea of software modification was the same: find and replace.
I have the original manual with all schematichs and I'm studying it to see where lamps and solenoids are select by cpu.

By now, the U14 (lamps) and U15 (solenoids) (same 74LS138 IC) decodes
CPU_R/W (pin 1), BA1 (pin 2) and BA3 (pin 3) by
BA4 (pin 6), BA2 (pin 4) and AUX_I/O (lamps) (pin 5) or EXT_I/O (solenoids) (pin 5) from the power drive ribbon cable.

Comparing the Power driver pins with CPU board, we have equivalent pins CPU_R/W, AUX_I/O, EXT_I/O with the CPU IC (M68306).
But, for the BA1-4, we have the CPU equivalent CPU_A1, CPU_A18, CPU_A19, CPU_A20.

I think it's a starting point to checkout the U14 and U15.

That's all for now! Too tired today!

Good night.

Itajubá - MG

Brazil

#12 destruk

destruk

VPF Veteran

• VPF Staff
  • 6,307 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:19 AM

I'm fine. smile.gif I need to blow up some tanks though - that usually makes me feel better.

#13 goredaimon

goredaimon

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:37 AM

Another video showing some led models and how them flick:

Very interesting, and look likes Pinball Life have the best model.
I'd like to see this on CAPCOM Pinballs.

Itajubá - MG

Brazil

#14 goredaimon

goredaimon

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:18 PM

Some news!

I just get some pictures from lamp signals with an digital oscilloscope.

When all lamps are on we have this:

Edited by goredaimon, 07 June 2011 - 11:19 PM.

Itajubá - MG

Brazil

#15 goredaimon

goredaimon

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:29 PM