Photo
- - - - -

B2S Server 2.0 pre-release, Call for testers!

B2S B2S Server

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,801 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 23 January 2023 - 10:51 PM

This one

On a side note
I converted WebP to Base64, just to see what happens to it.

The the smaller size bonus was lost, as expected

WebP is great if it can be used in native form, but encoding to base64 inflates the file size (which was expected, that tis how storing a binary to plain text goes)

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary

#22 jarr3

jarr3

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 173 posts

• Flag: Sweden

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 12 March 2023 - 06:09 PM

Release 2.0.0 is out here https://www.vpforums...&showfile=12553

Please do not forget to like and review..., what is important for content creators (tables, backglasses, DMD colorization?) is as important for us writing the tool-set.

Have fun with the new version! I hope everyone will enjoy the new features for easier usage...

Today also saw the release of the new github wiki for B2Shttps://github.com/v...-backglass/wiki

Thanks to @Tiki for helping me with the wiki and creating the tutorial videos. They can also be watched separately here https://www.youtube....lcraftingcellar hopefully more to come soon!
Thanks to @VPinWorkshop for allowing us to use their Blood Machines in the Wiki examples.
Thanks to @hauntfreaks for providing the new Blood Machines backglass used in the wiki examples.

Thanks again to everyone for testing the new release, and reporting here

Special thanks go to @Tiki , @Cliffy and @hauntfreaks 

/Jarr3

Edited by jarr3, 13 March 2023 - 06:02 PM.

#23 jarr3

jarr3

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 173 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 06:59 AM

The link is up howto upgrade to VPX x64 with the Video where Smaug is following the description:

https://github.com/v...cab-Setup-Guide

and the direct link to the video: https://youtu.be/zc_6cr4Fo8k

Edited by jarr3, 15 March 2023 - 07:19 AM.

#24 Mike DA Spike

Mike DA Spike

Pinball Fan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,208 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: Too many to mention

Posted 16 March 2023 - 11:53 AM

Good work @jarr for releasing 2.0
This morning I added vp 64 bit to my system.
I used your x86 version 2.0 ftom github.
I created a new folder where i put the files in.
Registered the files, and removed old location.

Moved screenres.txt as well.
Launch a table with vp32 bit and all is working.
Launching the same table with vp64 bit, doesnt show the backglass server. No process is started for directb2s.
Tried it with your x64 version as well, but same result
Any ideas why 32bit vpx shows the backglass, but 64bit doesn't show anything ?

331ddabcc742f0ba74791e946eb0f791.gif Try PinballX Database manager as a replacement of PinballX's game list manager
With special thanks to Scutters 

#25 jarr3

jarr3

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 173 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 06:07 PM

Good work @jarr for releasing 2.0
This morning I added vp 64 bit to my system.
I used your x86 version 2.0 ftom github.
I created a new folder where i put the files in.
Registered the files, and removed old location.

Moved screenres.txt as well.
Launch a table with vp32 bit and all is working.
Launching the same table with vp64 bit, doesnt show the backglass server. No process is started for directb2s.
Tried it with your x64 version as well, but same result
Any ideas why 32bit vpx shows the backglass, but 64bit doesn't show anything ?

Hi Mike,

thank you for the kind words. Yes I think it became a rather nice package. A lot of small things which should help with handling Backglasses.

Coming back to your problem... Good question... Not that easy... In all our tests so far, we managed to get it to work with the "x86" version. It is compiled with AnyCPU, which seems to be compatible with both architectures.

Please report back on Smaugs YT video, maybe there are solutions found by then.

I am also talking to Nailbuster, we will work on getting a "smoother" solution also for baller installers going forward!

/Jarr3

#26 Mike DA Spike

Mike DA Spike

Pinball Fan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 04:35 PM

I'm a step further (or back ...)
Today I could no tload any backglass in 32bit or 64 bit.

I restored from previous backup.

But give the same issue.

I copy a table and file to a new directory.
Game starts with B2server running. No DOF

Enabling the PLugin, and relaunch the table will not show the backglass for me.

Setting the   <ArePluginsOn> to 0 in the B2STableSettings.xml let me show the backglass (in 32bit and 64 bit), but no DOF
I don't se a crash or what so ever in the eventlog, but it must properly be that the when enabling the plugin it is causing an issue

EDIT :

I finally got it to work again.
I run the installer "Main.Download.Installer.-.VPX72setup" with the checkbox Directb2server (I uncheked it in the first place, as I want to have a clean install of 2.0)

After this, the B2SServer was installed in the root of "\visual Pinball"
Installed B2SServer 2.0 in a sub dir of VP , rerun the register app and now all (well almost all) is working.again.

Edited by Mike DA Spike, 17 March 2023 - 04:59 PM.

331ddabcc742f0ba74791e946eb0f791.gif Try PinballX Database manager as a replacement of PinballX's game list manager

#27 Tesla

Tesla

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 708 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Star Trek - TNG

Posted 17 March 2023 - 05:37 PM

1. I run the installer "Main.Download.Installer.-.VPX72setup" ... (I unchecked [Directb2Server] it in the first place, as I want to have a clean install of 2.0)

2. After this, the B2SServer was installed in the root of "\visual Pinball"

3. Installed B2SServer 2.0 in a sub dir of VP , rerun the register app and now all (well almost all) is working.again.

1. Seems like that should have worked. I thought we are permitted to install B2S-Server separately, later.

2. Right, likely v1.4.1 or there-abouts

3. Good. Did you Un-Register the old-version and possibly even remove the (now un-needed) files?

#28 Tesla

Tesla

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 708 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Star Trek - TNG

Posted 17 March 2023 - 05:51 PM

So, to "swap out" our B2S-Server for Testing, it this the correct procedure?

Backup C:\Visual Pinball\  ... (or at least ScreenRes.txt and B2STableSettings.xml)

Un-Register existing B2SBackglassServer.DLL with Nirsoft's RegDLLview-x64 (x64 because I'm running Windows-10 64bit)

Reboot

Delete files in folder C:\Visual Pinball\B2S\  (the folder where I have B2S-Server installed)

Copy files from new B2S-Server archive into C:\Visual Pinball\B2S\

Run-as-Admin B2SBackglassServerRegisterApp.exe to Register new version

Check your final results in Nirsoft's RegDLLview-x64

Check that your C:\Visual Pinball\Tables\ScreenRes.txt and B2STableSettings.xml are still correct (and those are the only ones you have or are being used).

Test a Table (with a .directB2S) from the VPX program itself.

Does that sound right?

And we can just repeat that procedure to go back to B2S-Server v1.4.1 ?

Edited by Tesla, 18 March 2023 - 12:25 AM.

#29 Mike DA Spike

Mike DA Spike

Pinball Fan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 06:40 PM

1. I run the installer "Main.Download.Installer.-.VPX72setup" ... (I unchecked [Directb2Server] it in the first place, as I want to have a clean install of 2.0)

3. Installed B2SServer 2.0 in a sub dir of VP , rerun the register app and now all (well almost all) is working.again.

1. Seems like that should have worked. I thought we are permitted to install B2S-Server separately, later.

3. Good. Did you Un-Register the old-version and possibly even remove the (now un-needed) files?
Yes, i registered the verdion. Tried a clean 1.4.0, 1.4.1 and 2.0.
All stopped when I enable the plugins.
After I installed vpx from the installer (not the baller, but just the vpx 10.7.2) and checked the directb2sserver, it started to work and could upgrade to 2.0

#30 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,720 posts

• Favorite Pinball: M M

Posted 17 March 2023 - 08:39 PM

I delete all registry keys that contained this B2SBackglassServer and I was able to re register the BackGlass server but it still would not work
I moved the BackGlass server back into the tables folder re-register everything worked

Edited by Outhere, 18 March 2023 - 03:33 AM.

#31 Slydog43

Slydog43

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,006 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family, All Williams 90's Games

Posted 18 March 2023 - 12:20 AM

I delete all registry keys that contained this B2SBackglassServer and I was able to re register the backglass server but it still would not work
I moved the backserver back into the tables folder re-register everything worked

Same here, Hopefully someone can figure this out.  I want to be able to move my b2s files to their own directoy.

#32 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,801 posts

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 18 March 2023 - 02:58 AM

I delete all registry keys that contained this B2SBackglassServer and I was able to re register the backglass server but it still would not work
I moved the backserver back into the tables folder re-register everything worked

Same here, Hopefully someone can figure this out.  I want to be able to move my b2s files to their own directoy.

It works fine here BUT
the DirectB2S files still have to be with the tables.

I can put the XML and screenrez files in the B2SServer folder.
Not the backglasses themselves, dont even know that doing this is intended?

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary

#33 Mike DA Spike

Mike DA Spike

Pinball Fan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 18 March 2023 - 03:42 AM

I only can't get the plugins for x86 to work when moved the server to another directory.
X64 works fine (thats what I didn't expect)
Love that it works with a global screenres as well. Now i dont have to copy that file to all my test folders and will save me arround 6kb of data (jk)

#34 Slydog43

Slydog43

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 18 March 2023 - 04:06 AM

It works fine here BUT

you have DOF working with B2s files in a new location?

#35 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,720 posts

• Favorite Pinball: M M

Posted 18 March 2023 - 04:15 AM

It works fine here BUT

you have DOF working with B2s files in a new location?

Yes i have Solenoids, MX Lighting, Beacon, Strobe and more

#36 jarr3

jarr3

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 07:05 AM

Hello, 

A lot to read here.. VPForums has failed to inform about new posts...

to be clear, you do NOT have to move B2S Server into a new folder. The B2SBackglassServerRegisterApp.exe registers the files, where you have put them.

I will try to find out what the problem is, it has to be a rather stupid problem. But annoying...

Yes, i registered the verdion. Tried a clean 1.4.0, 1.4.1 and 2.0.
All stopped when I enable the plugins.
After I installed vpx from the installer (not the baller, but just the vpx 10.7.2) and checked the directb2sserver, it started to work and could upgrade to 2.0

this is a good hint, will follow this...

#37 Mike DA Spike

Mike DA Spike

Pinball Fan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 08:44 AM

I spend a lot of t8me this weekend to get version 2.0 completly run from a directory that is different as the default.

I cleaned the complete registry for all versionsit could find.
After cleaning, directb2s didnt work at all ( so thats good)
Used the 2.0 x86 download file and put all in \visual pinball\b2sserver\ folder.
Run the registration app from there. It showed me that it was not registered and after confirming it registered itself and the check on the object was fine as well.
Vpx64 worked with backglass, but vpx 32 bit didnt.
I copied the 4 files (2 dll's, installer and the server.exe) to my \visual pinball\ directory (this was the location wher vp installed it) and vpx 32bit also shows the backglass (after reboot).

Not sure what the VP install of 10.7.2 is doing more with b2sserver, but looks like vp is doing more, as I expect from the b2s nstaller.
Spend a lot of time on this, but can't get it working on a location of choice ( strange, that it is only a few people with this issue)

#38 jarr3

jarr3

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 04:01 PM

I spend a lot of t8me this weekend to get version 2.0 completly run from a directory that is different as the default.

Used the 2.0 x86 download file and put all in \visual pinball\b2sserver\ folder.
Run the registration app from there. It showed me that it was not registered and after confirming it registered itself and the check on the object was fine as well.
I copied the 4 files (2 dll's, installer and the server.exe) to my \visual pinball\ directory (this was the location wher vp installed it) and vpx 32bit also shows the backglass (after reboot).

Not sure what the VP install of 10.7.2 is doing more with b2sserver, but looks like vp is doing more, as I expect from the b2s nstaller.
Spend a lot of time on this, but can't get it working on a location of choice ( strange, that it is only a few people with this issue)

The only thing I can think about was that I had references to the VPX registry, to be able to add the additional context menu.

But that is gone now in latest build under actions on github.

#39 Slydog43

Slydog43

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 07:20 PM

i have the same on my end.  I have 32 & 64 bit working with b2s in my tables dir with plugins under that.  I tried moving it elsewhere without success.  I guess I will just live with it.

#40 divetravis

divetravis

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Bond

Posted 23 March 2023 - 09:44 PM

The only thing I can think about was that I had references to the VPX registry, to be able to add the additional context menu.

But that is gone now in latest build under actions on github.

I had almost the exact same issues as you. My fix was also almost the same process as yours but in the end to get everything working again I had to copy the DLL's back into the original directory. I can't tell you how many hours it took me to fix this. I don't like that my files are not really in the "correct" place but I am simply giving up until more folks have had success. This was all on my arcade cabinet. Glad I did not try this on my pinball cabinet running popper. Good luck and thanks for posting your issue!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: B2S, B2S Server