mjr

Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,071 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:23 AM

Note that you don't have to delete the DLL if you end up needing it for something else - you can just set Real DMD sensing to OFF in the Options. I've been assuming that no one would have a DMD DLL installed unless they had a DMD, so it uses the existence of the DMD for automatic sensing by default.  Maybe I should set that to off by default, since apparently you're not the only one who has the crufty DLL hanging around - maybe it got accidentally (or on purpose?) inserted into one of the recent VP installers.

#42 Brer Frog

Brer Frog

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Funhouse, Attack From Mars, Medieval Madness

Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:32 AM

Why are there two DMDs?

Do you have a copy of dmddevice.dll in your VPM folder?  If so, try renaming it something else - that might be the mystery second window.

If that's not it, bring up Spy++ from Visual Studio and see where that second window is coming from.

(The "second window" is the one at the top in your screen shot.  The smaller one at the bottom is the PinballY DMD window.)

The VPinMAME folder did have a copy of dmddevice.dll. I renamed it and now the wheel works!!

Is that dll needed for anything? IOW is renaming it going to cause an issue with something else, or is it just no longer needed for anything nowadays?

#43 dopdahl

dopdahl

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Triple Action

Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:42 AM

Pinup popper installer stuffs dmddevice.dll into VPM.

#44 mjr

mjr

Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:52 AM

The VPinMAME folder did have a copy of dmddevice.dll. I renamed it and now the wheel works!!

Excellent!  Looks like you've found the culprit.  (At least one culprit. :))

Is that dll needed for anything? IOW is renaming it going to cause an issue with something else, or is it just no longer needed for anything nowadays?

Looks like this is the answer to where it came from, so it might also be the answer to whether you need it for anything:

If it does end up causing you any grief to rename it, or you just don't want to take any chances, you can rename it back and tell PinballY to ignore it.  Open up the options, go to Real DMD, and select OFF instead of AUTO.  AUTO mode means that the DLL is used if present, ignored if not.  It was *supposed* to make this all nice and automatic - the idea was only people with real DMDs would have the DLL.  Because... why else would you have the DLL?  Evidently the wrong expectation.  So I should probably change the default setting to OFF, even though it will annoyingly make for an extra setup step for people who have real DMDs.  But I think that's less trouble than all of these random crashes.

#45 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,720 posts

• Favorite Pinball: M M

Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:56 AM

That dll is for this

https://github.com/f.../dmd-extensions

#46 mjr

mjr

Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:00 AM

Also:  A new build is available today - usual place:

http://mjrnet.org/pi...pe/PinballY.php

There's now a 64-bit option.  It looks like the limiting factor for 4K video isn't CPU, it's memory - it seems that VLC requires a gigantic amount of memory for 4K playback.  So much, in fact, that it just won't work within the inherent confines of a 32-bit process.  So, 64-bit to the rescue.

#47 Brer Frog

Brer Frog

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:29 AM

I don't recall ever installing Pinup Popper. I looked everywhere on my system & cannot find any evidence of installing it.

FWIW my dmddevice.dll file is dated 12/24/2016.

That makes it appear that it came with VPinMAME, is that correct?

Edited by Brer Frog, 04 August 2018 - 02:29 AM.

#48 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,720 posts

• Favorite Pinball: M M

Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:58 AM

I believe it comes with the VPinMAME when you do the all-in-one installer

#49 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,823 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Too many to choose...

Contributor

Posted 04 August 2018 - 03:07 AM

The help you guys with some clarification:

dmddevice.dll is used with PinMAME for both real DMDs and freezy's virtual DMD. It should be installed in the VPinMAME folder. This DLL gets used when PinMAME has "Use External DLL" enabled.

The "Pinup System" installer currently installs Pinup Player (active video playback program, PuP) and Pinup Popper (the front end) into the "Pinup System" folder. It also gives you the choice to install PupCapture files which does include the older (PuP enabled) freezy 1.6 dmddevice.dll file. This option will most likely change in the next installer to not include the freezy files, since freezy now has official PuP support.

Freezy now has the more universal 1.71 version of dmddevice.dll (and dmdext.exe) that both support PuP, so most people will have dmdevice.dll in their PinMAME folder, and many will have PuP support enabled with it. I HIGHLY recommend only installing the 32 bit freezy files, as the 64 bit files won't work correctly with everything (and not with PuP)

As for 4K playback... PuP and Popper use the 32 bit (2.2.8) VLC for media playback, and I use 4K video extensively with it and it plays back 4K videos (and 4 other videos at the same time) on my older system (i5 2500K, gtx 970) no problem without using any hardware acceleration.

I would like to see how well the newer VLC using h/w accel can run 4K with PBY. Again, I don't have time to do testing, but I thought I'd chime in with some info.

Edited by TerryRed, 04 August 2018 - 03:09 AM.

#50 coreduo0099

coreduo0099

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Tommy

Posted 04 August 2018 - 04:20 PM

installed apha 5.  Most of my media still does not display.

What is being references in the pinballx config that chooses the filenames to load?  I'd think it should be 'game name' but if so I don't understand why most of my media is not loading since my media names match my game name.

#51 hlr53

hlr53

Pinball Fan

• Gold Supporter
  • 683 posts

• Favorite Pinball: 1964 Williams Palooka Joe

Posted 04 August 2018 - 05:23 PM

PBY not loading Future Pinball on -4 alpha this AM. Deleted folder and tried again. No luck. I didn't try Visual Pinball. This week (rest of weekend is busy - tis Summer :-) I am going to install on my gaming laptop without PinballX. Just PBY, VP & FP and let PBY build a database folder direct from the emulators and see what happens? If that is OK then add PinballX to the equation.

Also going to install Visual Studio 2017, get it to compile (hopefully, as I have NEVER programmed Windows APIs and last looked at C++ with Bruce Eckels's Thinking in C++ 20 years ago. Still have the book!) and run in debug mode. I'm sure questions to you will pop up.

Former Cab: 40" Haier, 28" I-INC, i7-6700, 1080 GPU, v3DMD, 4D7 solenoids. Altec-Lansing speakers and sub. Artwork by Stuzza. Printing by Brad Bowman. VR HP reverb

#52 mjr

mjr

Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 05:59 PM

What is being references in the pinballx config that chooses the filenames to load?  I'd think it should be 'game name' but if so I don't understand why most of my media is not loading since my media names match my game name.

It follows PinballX convention:

Title (Manufacturer Year)

For example:

Funhouse (Williams 1990)

Jokerz! (Williams 1988)

Then of course add the various media format extensions, so

Funhouse (Williams 1990).jpg

Funhouse (Williams 1990).mp4

Image extensions:  .png .jpg .jpeg

Video: .mp4 .mpg .mkv .wmv .f4v .m4v .avi

Audio (for launch sound effects): .wav .mp3

If you're using a different convention, I could easily add some options to set different formats.  I don't want it to be squishy and ill-defined with fuzzy matching or anything like that, since that just makes it more confusing for everyone.  But I'm happy to add options to support different formats if there's some other convention that makes sense.

Most of the media files are in the system-specific folder.  Look for all of the background images (table, backglass, DMD, topper) there:

... Media\Visual Pinball\Table Videos

Some generic items, like instruction cards and flyers, aren't differentiated by system:

... Media\Instruction Cards

... Media\Flyer Images

You can set the name of the subfolder for each system in the options page for that system.

Edited by mjr, 04 August 2018 - 06:08 PM.

#53 Joppnl

Joppnl

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: Where I can put my name on as Grand Champion......

Posted 04 August 2018 - 06:59 PM

Hi Mike,

just installed my 500Gb SSD so plenty of room to install PBY now :-) 

So...installed AlfaV5 / 64 where there is a full working PBX version available.

After setting up the displays, PBY has a very strange table list.  I do recognize some old tables I used as a test but most of them are 'strange'... installed some of them before, deleted them but the list in PBY does not represent the current PBX list: on PBX I have around 203 tables and PBY says it has around 90 where these 90 are also strange and outdated.

Also, no table video/BG vudeo, no sound with these 90 tables.

My PBX is located in  d:\Program Files\Visual Pinball\PinballX\ 

What I first did was enter the config file manually and changed the path to this location but without results (same 90 unknown tables)

Then I copied the PinballX folder including all content to the root so d:\pinballx   with it's subfolders and I changed the path in the settings file to this new location (did not re-install PBX though as I want that to remain untouched by now)

But....same.

It looks that PBY found a very strange list of tables -somewhere-, I have no clue where, but it's not using the normal list.

BTW: PBY is located in the root like D:\pinbally

In the spoiler the PBY settings file....

Thanks  (BTW: Pinscape and it's functions like the keys, plunger and nudging are working great! :-) ) 

Spoiler

#54 mjr

mjr

Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:07 PM

After setting up the displays, PBY has a very strange table list.  I do recognize some old tables I used as a test but most of them are 'strange'... 

I think if you read the section "Unconfigured table files" here, it will make more sense:

http://mjrnet.org/pi...#unconfigTables

If you don't want to see the "strange" tables, open up the options dialog, go to the Game Wheel page, and check the box for "Hide unconfigured tables".

#55 Brer Frog

Brer Frog

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:17 PM

This is where my lack of knowledge of using PinballX or any front end may work against me. This may seem like a stupid question, but how do I get the playfield & backglass images to display when using PinballY?

I had presumed a front end would just display the table’s playfield image on the playfield & the DB2S image on the backglass. Apparently that’s not so. It looks like I need to download an HP Media Pack for each table, is that correct?

I never had a reason to download an HP Media Pack, but always thought they were for HyperPin. Are they a defacto standard for any front end?

#56 Joppnl

Joppnl

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: Where I can put my name on as Grand Champion......

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:41 PM

Hi Mike,

thank you for your support....should have found it myself before asking .....  :love39:

So...changing that gave me the VP9 tables but not the VPX tables.

In settings.txt I am pointing to the right location:  d:\Program Files\Visual Pinball\PinballX\Media

In that folder there are subfolders for each system (like VP9, Pinball Arcade, VPX etc) but PBY only uses VP9.

Now....in the PBY system menu however it does show 5 sub-systems ((like VP9, Pinball Arcade, VPX etc) 

As I only use VP9 and VPX and VP9 is fine I disables the other ones and in the VPX settings I pointed manually to the database folder and the media folder.

That gave me the VPX tables (and my round wheels).    Would have expected though that pointing to the main root media folder in settings.txt would do the job but no...

Ok, slowly getting there.

This is what I notice now:

- no display.  I am using a [Removed for Trademark Infringement] WTF??? (well....I edited it, it's the dmd from Lucky1...pin two dot matrix device ... ) and it is working fine in VPX and PBX but not in PBY. 
​

I changed it in settings to 'on' and I think I see an error coming up when I start PBY but it disappears very fast.

Now,I do have dmddevice.dll in the pinmame dir (checked it but also, it wouldn't work in VPX) and as a test I copied it into the D:\PBY dir, still no succes.

- no table sound.

Checked the options and yes it's on, nightmode is off but still no sound. As my round wheels did show up after pointing manually to the media directory I guess this is ok and it should be able to find the table audio. 
I do hear 'bleebs' when changing tables so the hardware is ok (also, do have sound in pby, vpx)

- may-be it is (but couldn't find it) : is it possible to have real flipper-sound when changing a table instead of the bleebs? And...if SSF is present, have it coming from the (front) surround SSF speakers? 

- minor thing: but when bringing up the service menu it is 90 degrees rotated compared to my table-screen. So, either I need to turn myself or I have to drag and drop the menu to the backbox screen. Not a big problem but it does not remember it's last location so next time have to do it again.  Well...minor thing.

So far for now, I think it's a program with a lot of oppertunities, also being able to do changed 'on-the-fly' is great,, thanks so far!

Edited by Joppnl, 04 August 2018 - 09:56 PM.

#57 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,831 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: GOT, Alien Star, LOTR, TOM

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:43 PM

@brer frog  :Kind of. HP media packs contains many of the elements that you may need for Hyperpin / PinballX / Popper or PinballY. It is basically media that is not table or db2s. For backglass videos/images and playfield video/images I prefer to use gtxjoe excellent pbxrecorder still.

Edited by Thalamus, 04 August 2018 - 09:44 PM.

From now on. I won't help anyone here at VPF. Please ask Noah why that is.

#58 mjr

mjr

Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:44 PM

I had presumed a front end would just display the table’s playfield image on the playfield & the DB2S image on the backglass. Apparently that’s not so. It looks like I need to download an HP Media Pack for each table, is that correct?

Correct.  

Note that I tried to streamline this process to make it a lot less manual than you might be thinking, if you haven't found the Game Setup menu.  There's a step-by-step here:

http://mjrnet.org/pi...lY.php#newtable

For tables you've already set up with the bibliographic data, you can still use Steps Four ("Download Media") and Five ("Capture Media").  So if you've already set up titles and so on, just skip down to Step Four and follow that procedure.  It lets you do all the download and install steps in a few clicks.

I never had a reason to download an HP Media Pack, but always thought they were for HyperPin. Are they a defacto standard for any front end?

Kinda, although there are so few front ends in existence that we can just list the support on one hand rather than trying to make a rule:

HyperPin:  Yes (obviously)

PinballX:  Yes, uses it

PinballY: Yes, uses it

PuP: I don't think it uses it

So the HP Media Pack is close to universal, but I think PuP broke its streak. :)

#59 mjr

mjr

Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 11:07 PM

- no display on the [FORBIDDEN DOTS OF DOOM!]

If you've got all of the DLL files in the right places, which it sounds like you do, there must be an incompatibility.  That'll be tough for me to debug because I don't have one of the [FORBIDDEN DOTS OF DOOM!]s to test with.  Are you up for a little investigation with Visual Studio and a source build?  If not hopefully someone with the [FORBIDDEN] and a VS setup will be able to help out and we'll get that sorted out before long.

- minor thing: but when bringing up the service menu it is 90 degrees rotated compared to my table-screen. So, either I need to turn myself or I have to drag and drop the menu to the backbox screen. Not a big problem but it does not remember it's last location so next time have to do it again.

That's a good idea - that should be doable. I'll take a look.  I can't do anything about the rotation of the dialog itself, unfortunately; it's a regular Windows dialog box, and Windows doesn't have any mechanism (as far as I'm aware) to rotate dialog and control windows.  But saving and restoring the last window position is a great idea for a workaround.  And now that you mention it, it probably would be smart to just open it by default over a non-rotated window in the first place.

- may-be it is (but couldn't find it) : is it possible to have real flipper-sound when changing a table instead of the bleebs? And...if SSF is present, have it coming from the (front) surround SSF speakers? 

It'd be easy to add some options for different sound effects.  If anyone wants to come up with some different sound effect themes and shoot me some .wav files, I can add an option page to the dialog to select from different themes.

Same goes for the default background images, actually.  The default background artwork I came up with is really just a placeholder.  It'd be great to have some prettier themes to choose from, if anyone wants to draw up something a little nicer.

Re SSF, I might be able to look into that down the road, or better yet, maybe someone who has an SSF system set up can contribute some code for that.  I don't have such a setup myself, which makes it a bit tougher to develop anything for that.

- no table sound.

Checked the options and yes it's on, nightmode is off but still no sound. As my round wheels did show up after pointing manually to the media directory I guess this is ok and it should be able to find the table audio. 
I do hear 'bleebs' when changing tables so the hardware is ok (also, do have sound in pby, vpx)

Note that there's a separate "mute videos" option in the operator menu (press "0" (zero)), but videos should play sound by default.  Also note that only the playfield video gets audio, so if your sound effects are for the backglass or one of the other media items, that might be why they're not playing.  If all else fails, you can try sending me the playfield video and I can see if it's a format issue or something.

For backglass videos/images and playfield video/images I prefer to use gtxjoe excellent pbxrecorder still.

Not to take anything away from pbxrecorder, but note that PBY has capture built-in, which makes it a little more streamlined in that (a) you don't have to run a separate program, and (b) all of the window locations are taken automatically from the PBY window layout.  It just takes a few button clicks - see Step Five:

http://mjrnet.org/pi...lY.php#newtable

#60 STV

STV

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Varies. 140 in the list ATM.

Posted 04 August 2018 - 11:07 PM

I second the "saving and restoring the last window position is a great idea for a workaround."  for the control panel.   I currently move it up to the BG screen so I'm not like an owl cranking my head sideways.