98 replies to this topic

#41 BigBoss

BigBoss

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Attack From Mars, Metallica, Theatre Of Magic, Shadow, Star Trek

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:46 AM

If you guys have a fully bezeled in DMD screen then just make the window big enough so the borders are bezeled out. Otherwise, yea you have to use actual window manager.

#42 bent98

bent98

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Roadshow, Haunted House, Safe Cracker

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:58 PM

What would be cool if someone could make  back glasses graphic with the a dmd bezel cut ou so dmd would fit nicely into it. Also would be cool if the backglass was on top and the dmd window was underneath so it could hide windows bezel border. Then wouldn't need to run an extra program. . Still wish they would make it work the pindmd2. Didn't they make a video with it running on a pindmd2?

#43 The Loafer

The Loafer

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,468 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Superman, Firepower & Tron

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:24 PM

I know the pro-pinball guys released such a video, don't think Zen did.

#44 BigBoss

BigBoss

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Attack From Mars, Metallica, Theatre Of Magic, Shadow, Star Trek

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:48 PM

Unfortunately the way pinball fx2 works, I think the window has to be on top otherwise program goes into background mode where it stops and waits for you to continue playing.

I think you guys with real dmds should consider going back to led monitors. You're going to just be limiting yourself in the future. From colorization to new simulators where it's not a good investment for a company to sink engineering time into supporting a real DMD, you're going to be left behind. It might have been neat when the only game in town was VP. But such is no longer the case.

#45 The Loafer

The Loafer

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:24 PM

There's no reason to go back. If one prefers the authentic feel and especially brightness of a plasma DMD then what we have is cool and works fine with vp/FP and it's not about to stop supporting it. In saying that I don't sweat it if zen or farsight don't support it, last time I checked my cab did have a second monitor, it's not like we had to remove it to plug in that DMD :). So as long a second monitor is supported I am a happy camper

#46 Zeiram

Zeiram

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Creature From the Black Lagoon

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:56 AM

What Loafer said.  I love my DMD.  If Zen supports it, or someone rolls a hack to render the window on the DMD then I'll be happier still.

#47 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

'Rasslin' Fan

• VPF Administrator
  • 12,190 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Whitewater

• PS3 Gamer Tag: noahfentz

Contributor

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:59 PM

Farsight already supports real DMDs. I've discussed it with Ade (Pro Pinball), and he intends to fully support it, as well.

I'm thinking Zen would be missing the boat, big time, if they choose to not support it.

IdleReel.gif RumbleDMD.jpg HS2-DMD.jpg SBM.jpg ww_logo.jpg EK.jpg

T2.jpg Sorcerer.jpg Breakshot.jpg Firepower.jpg GorGar.jpg StarTrek.jpg

My Photobucket Resources
Whether You Believe You Can, Or You Can't, You Are Right." - Henry Ford
The future of pinball lives, it just needs to be nurtured!
If you're here to stab me in the back, you're going to have to get in line.

#48 Slydog43

Slydog43

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,006 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family, All Williams 90's Games

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:20 PM

what do you mean Farsight already supports real DMDs?  They can't even rotate windows to portrait automatically with TPA, do you have a special version? or falling for the quote "we are working on it", yeah right

#49 mpad

mpad

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: AFM, TOM; Timeshock (!), Secrets of the Deep (fx2)

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:41 PM

Yeah right?!

#50 Zeiram

Zeiram

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Creature From the Black Lagoon

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:46 PM

Farsight has demoed DMD support on one of Paul's cabinets, but it's never been released as a feature in their product.

#51 The Loafer

The Loafer

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:18 PM

Its on the agenda but get this, they have bills to pay and this were forced to put this on the backburner so they can finish off the xbkx 360 update (they finally got a publisher court stuff due to crave bankruptcy is resolved), Xbox one port which is expected in July (and then the pc can get the dx 11 lighting out of it). /sarcasm off on the "forced" comment ;)

I know its easy to feel jaded, farsights communication plain sucks. However you can't expect then to prioritize work that maybe several hundreds will take advantage over doing work that pays bills. The good news though is they are running out of platforms so I think this is really coming by September. Oct 1st, feel free to laugh at me :)

#52 vampirolatino2

vampirolatino2

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

• Flag: Spain

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:26 PM

Hope they do it ... so other can follow suit. If Timeshock table (developer) had been already out and DMD support out of the box, then Farsight will take note and prioritize it.... if there isn't "real" competition, .. why bother? ... Hope we can have it sooner than later. :D

#53 Shakenbake

Shakenbake

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Funhouse

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:32 PM

Farsight already supports real DMDs. I've discussed it with Ade (Pro Pinball), and he intends to fully support it, as well.

I'm thinking Zen would be missing the boat, big time, if they choose to not support it.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. I think that Zen's target customer could care less if the DMD is "real". If pinball manufactures are trying to get away from it then why should we as cab builders limit ourselves to old tech? I for one love seeing the different colors that Zen uses for their DMD especially in multi-player mode.

Now if Zen wanted to have an option for the PinDMD2 to work as well that would be great for the guys that already have them or prefer the plasma displays(I think the LED segmented ones look horrible)

I'll shoot a note to the Dev team but when they asked me about getting the DMD to a 2nd screen I explained how both options worked and we all agreed that the color monitor was the best option.

Edited by Shakenbake, 06 May 2014 - 08:38 PM.

#54 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

'Rasslin' Fan

• VPF Administrator
  • 12,190 posts

Contributor

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:52 PM

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. I think that Zen's target customer could care less if the DMD is "real". If pinball manufactures are trying to get away from it then why should we as cab builders limit ourselves to old tech? I for one love seeing the different colors that Zen uses for their DMD especially in multi-player mode.

Now if Zen wanted to have an option for the PinDMD2 to work as well that would be great for the guys that already have them or prefer the plasma displays(I think the LED segmented ones look horrible)

I'll shoot a note to the Dev team but when they asked me about getting the DMD to a 2nd screen I explained how both options worked and we all agreed that the color monitor was the best option.

So you encouraged shooting down real DMD compatibility? It took farsight no time to get it running! Whatev, Zen.

My Photobucket Resources

#55 Shakenbake

Shakenbake

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:26 PM

So you encouraged shooting down real DMD compatibility? It took farsight no time to get it running! Whatev, Zen.

It wasn't a matter of shooting it down. It was a time issue. They had 1 day to work on something for cab support and this is what made the most sense to have the most flexible option.

#56 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

'Rasslin' Fan

• VPF Administrator
  • 12,190 posts

Contributor

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:38 PM

Cool. Now that crunch time is over, let's see some real DMD support. LCD DMDs are a thing of the past.

;)

My Photobucket Resources

#57 Les73gTx

Les73gTx

Preschooler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Power Play, BoP, JackBot, MM, AFM, CV, MB,Champions Pub, CftBL, ToM, and Many More

• PS3 Gamer Tag: LCT0819, Les73gtx
  • 360 Gamer Tag: PissPoorShot

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:21 PM

Cool. Now that crunch time is over, let's see some real DMD support. LCD DMDs are a thing of the past.

;)

Lol I am building a AMD duron computer and installing windows 3.1 firing up the crt cause that was the best tech EVER ..... now who is on the bandwagon with me?
I will send it out via pony express courier to whoever wants to beta test it with their new version of VP. I hear they work for ale and hay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

les73gtx___atomicpin-pc.png

#58 BigBoss

BigBoss

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:28 PM

Couldn't agree more. If you have the developers ear , ask for an extremely simple code change. Put the title of the table in the window title of the DMD. With that I can write something for per table backglasses that isn't hokey. The title could even be the table filename or any unique per table code they already have stored off.

Edited by BigBoss, 06 May 2014 - 10:31 PM.

#59 Shakenbake

Shakenbake

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:15 AM

Couldn't agree more. If you have the developers ear , ask for an extremely simple code change. Put the title of the table in the window title of the DMD. With that I can write something for per table backglasses that isn't hokey. The title could even be the table filename or any unique per table code they already have stored off.

Backglass is in the works. Not sure on the ETA yet but I'll pass that info along. I really want to get the backglasses up and running before Comic Con this year.

#60 unclewilly

unclewilly

sofa king.....

• VIP
  • 5,084 posts

• Favorite Pinball: tz, tom, big hurt, who dunnit

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:17 AM

Are they planning on doing some animated backglasses.
That would be really cool.

"it will all be ok in the end, if it's not ok, it's not the end"

Monster Bash VP10 WIP https://dl.dropboxus... (vpx)WIP15.vpx

uw2.gif