Vanblaricom0

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: The Simpsons

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:31 PM

I was just thinking about VPMame emulating the two Pinball 2000 tables, Revenge from Mars and Star Wars: Episode 1. Do you think they will be emulated soon? I've never played the real machines but they look cool just looking at the photos. They would look good in Visual Pinball. I understand emulating them may be difficult at this time (A semi-transparent video over the table with Playstation graphics), but was wondering if they can be emulated soon. With alot of hard work I'm sure it can be done soon. Is it the semi-transparency or the high-tech graphics? I would say that transparency wouldn't be very important to begin with. Besides that I wonder why Stern didn't carry-on the new technology, cool as it looks...

Update:

I better understand now why Pinball 2000 is difficult to emulate. I've been reading up on it and it seems that the videos are integrated into the playfield, overlaying parts of the video onto the playfield for ball interactivity. I guess transparency really is essential, and with a bit of practice and hard work i'm sure it can be emulated in the future. The display would have to be the correct ratio and in the correct place on the playfield when it gets emulated. Seeing videos of the two pinball machines it looks futuristic.

Edited by Vanblaricom0, 30 April 2009 - 08:08 PM.

#2 ta2686

ta2686

Retired ROM Settings Guru

• VIP
  • 2,324 posts

• Favorite Pinball: ONE THAT WORKS!

Contributor

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:08 PM

IIRC, there is a problem emulating the P2K roms as well. I don't recall the reasons why right now, but one of the reasons I believe is the type of chips used for the roms, but I could be wrong.
Need to set or reset replay levels on a particular table? These guides will help you:

For Non-DMD tables: Guide to reset replay levels on non-DMD tables

For DMD tables: Guide to set replay levels on DMD tables

Need to change the number of balls per game on a particular table? These guides will help you:

For Non-DMD tables: Guide to set number of balls per game on non-DMD tables

For DMD tables: Guide to set number of balls per game on DMD tables

Need to adjust the volume on DMD based tables? This guide will help you:

Guide to adjust volume on DMD tables

An alphabetical listing of VPM emulated tables with their MPU and links to their specific replay level, balls per game and volume adjustment procedures can be downloaded as an Excel spreadsheet from this link:

Excel Spreadsheet of VPM emulated tables

#3 neoblood

neoblood

Enthusiast

• Charter Member
  • 381 posts

• Favorite Pinball: bop

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:13 AM

There is a Future pinball table called DQv2 that is very similar to a pinball2000 machine. You should check it out if you are interested. I really like it if the physics were better.
A Pinball a day takes the boredom away

#4 Vanblaricom0

Vanblaricom0

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:42 AM

There is a Future pinball table called DQv2 that is very similar to a pinball2000 machine. You should check it out if you are interested. I really like it if the physics were better.

Do you mean the original table Darkquest?

#5 neoblood

neoblood

Enthusiast

• Charter Member
  • 381 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:49 AM

yep thats the one.

#6 Vanblaricom0

Vanblaricom0

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:12 AM

I'll eventually check it out, thanks. smile.gif Where can I find v2? I found version 1 at the Future Pinball releases site.

#7 neoblood

neoblood

Enthusiast

• Charter Member
  • 381 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:40 AM

Here:
http://www.gopinball.com/

The other tables he made are also very very good. He's a very talented guy. Probably the best FP has to offer actually. Bummer about the physics though.

#8 Vanblaricom0

Vanblaricom0

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:41 AM

The other tables he made are also very very good. He's a very talented guy. Probably the best FP has to offer actually.

Great looking tables. The Big Spender Pinball one looks like one you would find in a Windows CD pack of pinball tables. smile.gif

IIRC, there is a problem emulating the P2K roms as well. I don't recall the reasons why right now, but one of the reasons I believe is the type of chips used for the roms, but I could be wrong.

If you are right do you thing the problems can be overcome in the future soon and they can be emulated? Whats the scoop for future emulation of Pinball 2000? I would love to know. biggrin.gif That question is for someone who is part of the VPMame project.

Edited by Vanblaricom0, 01 May 2009 - 03:47 AM.

#9 ta2686

ta2686

Retired ROM Settings Guru

• VIP
  • 2,324 posts

• Favorite Pinball: ONE THAT WORKS!

Contributor

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:34 AM

QUOTE (Vanblaricom0 @ Apr 30 2009, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you are right do you thing the problems can be overcome in the future soon and they can be emulated? Whats the scoop for future emulation of Pinball 2000? I would love to know. biggrin.gif That question is for someone who is part of the VPMame project.

That question would best be answered by someone from the PinMAME team or by someone who knows more about this than I do.

There was a rather lengthy discussion about P2K on the old VPForums website, but with the site now defunct, I believe that discussion is lost unless someone had captured that information.
Need to set or reset replay levels on a particular table? These guides will help you:

For Non-DMD tables: Guide to reset replay levels on non-DMD tables

For DMD tables: Guide to set replay levels on DMD tables

Need to change the number of balls per game on a particular table? These guides will help you:

For Non-DMD tables: Guide to set number of balls per game on non-DMD tables

For DMD tables: Guide to set number of balls per game on DMD tables

Need to adjust the volume on DMD based tables? This guide will help you:

Guide to adjust volume on DMD tables

An alphabetical listing of VPM emulated tables with their MPU and links to their specific replay level, balls per game and volume adjustment procedures can be downloaded as an Excel spreadsheet from this link:

Excel Spreadsheet of VPM emulated tables

#10 TAB

TAB

Out of order

• VIP
  • 2,556 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: BOP The Machine

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:23 AM

The problem is the PC inside.
With DOS you can 'running' it. One frame takes about 1 minutes. Not funny sad.gif

#11 TheMcD

TheMcD

Pinball Wizard

• VPF Staff
  • 2,461 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Frankenstein, Safecracker, Big Hurt, Four Horsemen, Tommy, X-Files

Contributor

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:31 AM

AFAIK P2K can't be emulated in a Windows running environment. It only works in it's own custom PC.

The McD

VPF's resident pinball music fanatic.

The McD's Pinball Music Emporium: YouTube /// MediaFire (old tracks) /// Mega (new tracks)

#12 Vanblaricom0

Vanblaricom0

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:40 PM

It sounds like we would have to wait quite awhile 'till we have Pinball 2000 emulation.

#13 Vanblaricom0

Vanblaricom0

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:38 PM

is there a way to emulate the pinball 2000 games?

------------------------------------------------------------------

No.

The McD

These quotes are from the new released topic made by gont2:

pinball 2000 emulation

I read the "No" said by The McD and was thinking "Don't give up. You may be able to figure it out in the future".

Edited by Vanblaricom0, 07 May 2009 - 06:41 PM.

#14 TheMcD

TheMcD

Pinball Wizard

• VPF Staff
  • 2,461 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Frankenstein, Safecracker, Big Hurt, Four Horsemen, Tommy, X-Files

Contributor

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:48 PM

Seriously. It won't work.

P2K was specially designed to ONLY work in it's own environment. The only emulator - Nucore - for P2K is actually just a replacement for the case that a computer software screws up and doesn't have to be replaced by a expensive and hard to find part.

It won't even run bareable in a different environment, only so darn sluggish that it's not worth thinking about.

Take that, and the fact that honestly, nobody with tech experience apparently gives two *AHEM*s about emulating P2K because it's just not worth it! Think about it. You have a system. It has two tables only. It's a incredible pain in the derriere to even attempt to run it. Even more so to run it above 3 FPS. Would you keep working on it? I'd rather work on something like WCPMAME.

The McD

VPF's resident pinball music fanatic.

The McD's Pinball Music Emporium: YouTube /// MediaFire (old tracks) /// Mega (new tracks)

#15 Vanblaricom0

Vanblaricom0

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:07 PM

I see. That makes sense. It could happen still in the future, but i'll say only an inventor can do it and it can take quite alot of years to achieve it, but only two tables, I see your point.

Update:

It could happen still in the future, but i'll say only an inventor can do it and it can take quite alot of years to achieve it

...maybe not. Still would have to be a computer program.

Edited by Vanblaricom0, 07 May 2009 - 07:08 PM.

#16 Steve Paradis

Steve Paradis

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: RFM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 05:02 PM

Thanks to everyone for the kind remarks! I'm touched!

Steve AKA Polygame
I like poutine...Not the russian guy but the fries and gravy and cheese curds stuff.

#17 computerfrk1

computerfrk1

Pinball Fan

• Charter Member
  • 555 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Earthshaker

Posted 03 July 2009 - 05:22 PM

A lot of it may be easier to do once the CPU power becomes larger with the number of cores getting bigger. right now we pretty much think 2 or 4 core but wait until late this year when AMD plans to jump to a 12 core processor

#18 pinball buzz

pinball buzz

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 823 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: TOM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:05 PM

With the likes of Polygame, Uncle Willy,and the rest of you table guys, FP can only get better. Worship.gif
I hope that a future pinball / visual pinball hybrid will develop in the near future that combines the best of both.
Good to see the Polygame is here and keeping da ball rolling otvclap.gif

Cheers Buzz
Pinball Buzz - Builder of pinball cabs since May 2008.

See my cab pictures here

http://www.flickr.co...s/94649948@N00/
[/size][/size]

#19 secretpinball

secretpinball

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

• Flag: Russia

• Favorite Pinball: Wheel Of Fortune, Ghosbusters, World Poker tour

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:42 PM