Carny_Priest

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: EATPM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:08 PM

I was able to get DOF working with this as well as a nice solid frame rate on a 4.0ghz I5 and GTX660 card.  One show stopper though is that I am using the GTX as the playfield GPU and the built in HD400 on the I5 CPU for the back glass monitor.  With this config, Unity doesn't allow the backglass to be dragged to the second monitor which the HD4000 is powering.     If I make the HD4000 the primary display and launch the sim but don't load a table then swap the moitors back so the GTX is primary again, then load the table I get the backglass displaying correctly however the engine seems to be using the HD4000 as the adapter it is rendering to and the frame rate is terrible.

Sorry, forgot to mention, this is with fakescreen all set to on.

Have you tried connecting both screens to the GTX660?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#42 chepas

chepas

t.me/horsepin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: BSD, Tr0n, SW:Stern

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:20 PM

Can admin make you a bug tracker same as VP?

Gonna get messy & lost in here...

Bump maps are the new auto-tune :BDH:
VPX - RSS Updates ---- blog.flippingflips.xyz/en/ -- Visual Pinball No.1 (2021) . Est.2000

#43 Dozer316

Dozer316

Dozer

• VIP
  • 669 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Cirqus Voltaire

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:42 PM

I was able to get DOF working with this as well as a nice solid frame rate on a 4.0ghz I5 and GTX660 card.  One show stopper though is that I am using the GTX as the playfield GPU and the built in HD400 on the I5 CPU for the back glass monitor.  With this config, Unity doesn't allow the backglass to be dragged to the second monitor which the HD4000 is powering.     If I make the HD4000 the primary display and launch the sim but don't load a table then swap the moitors back so the GTX is primary again, then load the table I get the backglass displaying correctly however the engine seems to be using the HD4000 as the adapter it is rendering to and the frame rate is terrible.

Have you tried connecting both screens to the GTX660?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not on the problem cabinet, but on another mini cab I have with the same card driving both monitors it works fine.   If there's a limitation with the current engine and two disparate cards, I'll re-configure the main cab to use the same card when I get a chance.  Just thought I'd throw it out there in case there was a simple fix in software.

#44 BilboX

BilboX

Enthusiast

• Unit3D Pinball Team
  • 433 posts

• Flag: France

• Favorite Pinball: Metallica, Addams Familly, Scared Stiff, White Water

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:59 PM

I think the problem is the relative position of the screens regarding the primary one. To avoid problems, the primary screen should be the outer left one I think. BUT, in any case, Unity does not handle well multiple video cards. We had to use a trick. Sorry, w ehave no solutions for that... except one day integrate B2S.

Is there an option to change the kicker entry strength? Balls fly over them too easily and to fix I suppose it needs invisible walls behind for time being. (Not using speed limiting)

What do you mean by "entry strength"? Also, I suggest you to post in the correct thread for table dev related questions/remarks: this will precvvent to polute too much this one ;).

Edited by BilboX, 29 June 2015 - 03:01 PM.

UP2

#45 Carny_Priest

Carny_Priest

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

• Favorite Pinball: EATPM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 03:26 PM

My cab originally came with both a GTX660 and a GT610. The playfield was connected to the 660 and the BG and DMD was connected to the 610.

I changed the configuration specifically to enable BG with the Unit3D alpha. Connecting the BG to the 660 and leaving the DMD on the 610.

Since then I've found absolutely no performance gain by "offloading" any signal to a second card, even running DSR oversampling. I pulled the 610 out completely, and I run all three screens on the 660. I haven't looked back.

Edited by Carny_Priest, 29 June 2015 - 03:28 PM.

#46 chepas

chepas

t.me/horsepin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

• Favorite Pinball: BSD, Tr0n, SW:Stern

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:38 PM

What do you mean by "entry strength"? Also, I suggest you to post in the correct thread for table dev related questions/remarks: this will precvvent to polute too much this one ;).

Normally tables (post 70s) keep the kicker enclosed in an area, the ball doesn't tend to fly straight over it unless in an open area of the playfield (only real game I know that can do it (on the few I've played) is Robocops bonus saucer).

I have Paragon this will be a good test kicker game.

Bump maps are the new auto-tune :BDH:
VPX - RSS Updates ---- blog.flippingflips.xyz/en/ -- Visual Pinball No.1 (2021) . Est.2000

#47 vulbas

vulbas

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

• Favorite Pinball: medieval madness

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:14 PM

hello, 

thx for your job :)

#48 teppotee

teppotee

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

• Flag: Finland

• Favorite Pinball: CV

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:38 PM

Thanks for the BETA release! Great stuff! Lighting is superb and the physics are also excellent (huge improvement from the alpha).

I just had the first possibility to test this in my cab and after some tweaking I got it running quite decently. However I can't seem to get steady FPS (mostly 60FPS but drops frequently to 40 or so) with my GTX 580 (i5 CPU, only 4GB memory). On my desktop I have GTX 770 with i7 and it seems to run this fine -> so I will swap the GPU and test tomorrow if the 770 will work in the cab with the i5 as well.

However I can't get the DOF working. I copied my existing directoutputconfig.ini from VP and enabled the DOF checkbox in the options. Unfortunately nothing happens... any tips where to start looking for the problem / what to try? The log file states that the Framework is initialized.

#49 BigBoss

BigBoss

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Attack From Mars, Metallica, Theatre Of Magic, Shadow, Star Trek

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:57 PM

Is there a FP --> UP starter guide somewhere?

Edited by BigBoss, 29 June 2015 - 08:58 PM.

#50 ClarkKent

ClarkKent

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

• Flag: Austria

• Favorite Pinball: Q*Bert's Quest, Red's and Ted's Road Show, Dialed In, Big Bang Bar

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:32 PM

I still wonder how the camera is working. When trying to edit anything in the camera settings, nothing happens at all.

#51 BigBoss

BigBoss

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Attack From Mars, Metallica, Theatre Of Magic, Shadow, Star Trek

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:31 PM

I still wonder how the camera is working. When trying to edit anything in the camera settings, nothing happens at all.

It seems like the camera options don't do anything in cabinet mode.

Thanks for the BETA release! Great stuff! Lighting is superb and the physics are also excellent (huge improvement from the alpha).

I just had the first possibility to test this in my cab and after some tweaking I got it running quite decently. However I can't seem to get steady FPS (mostly 60FPS but drops frequently to 40 or so) with my GTX 580 (i5 CPU, only 4GB memory). On my desktop I have GTX 770 with i7 and it seems to run this fine -> so I will swap the GPU and test tomorrow if the 770 will work in the cab with the i5 as well.

However I can't get the DOF working. I copied my existing directoutputconfig.ini from VP and enabled the DOF checkbox in the options. Unfortunately nothing happens... any tips where to start looking for the problem / what to try? The log file states that the Framework is initialized.

Try timing down some of the lighting effects, disabling reflections, and lower antialiasing down to 2x

#52 sliderpoint

sliderpoint

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Metallica

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:12 AM

I found there are two camera options in Table Options that work when you are in cabinet mode. 

Teppotee, I found that if you are spanning monitors you should disable vsync.

-Mike

#53 BigBoss

BigBoss

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:34 AM

Anyone know how to properly load a table from command line? When adding the upt to the command line, the table specific options don't get loaded with the table (such as table difficulty and use second gui dmd).

Edit: figured it out. Using /config requires the full path to the config file unlike the table argument that can be relative.

Edited by BigBoss, 30 June 2015 - 05:52 AM.

#54 Dozer316

Dozer316

Dozer

• VIP
  • 669 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Cirqus Voltaire

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:32 AM

Heya Teppo,

Try using the directoutputconfig.ini provided in the beta release but update it with your own table configs from [Config DOF] onwards.   It seems to need the old style ledcontrol.ini layout rather than some of the newer DOF based commands.    When I copied my directoutputconfig.ini across I noticed the log was capturing an exception due to unknown commands in the config file.   When I used the included example but with my own table configs, it ran fine.

#55 teppotee

teppotee

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:51 AM

Thanks Dozer! That did the trick.. well at least mostly :) The weird thing is that DOF is now started but is not working 100% on some tables. For example on Black Knight 2000 I get all the contactors firing perfectly. But in Indy and SS I only get the flashers and no contactors etc. Is this something related to the table script? Anyone else getting this?

Also I have a question about the Cab Calibration... is there any way to manually adjust the camera? I have tried playing with the size values and depth / height but always the playfield is either too small (cabconf1.png - gap at the top of the pf and too much apron) or too long (cabconf2.png - too much is cut off) -> is there any way to get something between these 2 views? Personally I want to cut off the apron mostly but see the whole top of the table. Now I don't see any option to move the camera position.

Edit: It seems that Unity is quite demanding for the CPU. I swapped the GTX580 in my cab to 770 without much difference. I looked at the MSI afterburner diagnostics and GPU load was only about 40% whereas the usage of all the CPU cores was about 80 all the time for all 4 cores (this was with i5). AFM seems to be the most taxing table. I have disabled AA, reflections etc. and experimented with pixel light count as well but can't get the FPS to stay on 60 all the time. For those who can run these tables 60FPS without ANY drops - what kind of hardware are you running on?

Attached Files

Edited by teppotee, 30 June 2015 - 09:39 AM.

#56 ClarkKent

ClarkKent

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

• Flag: Austria

• Favorite Pinball: Q*Bert's Quest, Red's and Ted's Road Show, Dialed In, Big Bang Bar

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:50 AM

The performance problems are the reason why I'm not messing about with it that much. It's totally unrealistic when the ball stutters. It would really really be interesting what hardware we need for full experience!?

#57 hmueck

hmueck

MaX

• VIP
  • 2,189 posts

• Favorite Pinball: IPDB Top 300

Contributor

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:56 AM

It's a beta. Betas are never Performance optimized. They are for testing......
Nobody knows which hardware will be needed for The final version.
VPX0beta tables: 29cff786951ed9c1a70fc1fa47f5e3c1.png 0cecd68ffa2537a7262337834a05bbbe.png Finish them if you like!

#58 BilboX

BilboX

Enthusiast

• Unit3D Pinball Team
  • 433 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Metallica, Addams Familly, Scared Stiff, White Water

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:58 AM

The performance problems are the reason why I'm not messing about with it that much. It's totally unrealistic when the ball stutters. It would really really be interesting what hardware we need for full experience!?

This is the meaning of a Beta: determine the Hardware requirement. It is now clear that your setup does not satisfy you, I get that.

The default options in the beta are mine: Geforce GTX 680, i7, 8Go. I guess it is the "medium+" configuration. Don't know what to tell you else. UP is toward future harware, not for retro-compatibility.

UP2

#59 teppotee

teppotee

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:30 PM

Definitely not looking for "retro-compatibility" here :) Just curious about other setups.

Actually I just tried the default Beta settings again on my desktop (i7, 16GB, GTX770) and AFM plays really smooth with the desktop view (only very few drops below 60fps). However as soon as I change to cabinet view with the same options -> FPS drops somewhere between 40-50 and stuttering is pretty bad. So the cab view seems to be a lot more taxing.

#60 BigBoss

BigBoss

Pinball Fan

• VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:34 PM

Mine plays all the games butter smooth. I have an i3 3.5ghz cpu, 4 gb ram, and a Gtx 750ti card. I set aliasing to 2x and lowered the amount of lights using the slider to about 1/3. With the vsync on and the for counter on screen I always get 60fps. I am running in a two monitor cabinet using cabinet view, portrait not rotated, "fake full screen all" and both monitors are on my one video card.

Edited by BigBoss, 30 June 2015 - 12:36 PM.

Reply to this topic