• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 6,442 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: I like both new and old, but I guess I prefer modern tables with some rules and goals to achieve.

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:20 PM

Posted Image

File Name: Lightning (Stern 1981)

File Submitter: jpsalas

File Submitted: 09 Aug 2017

File Category: VPX/VPinMAME Recreations

Author(s): jpsalas
Manufacturer: Stern
Year: 1981
ROM: Link to ROM
Permission to MOD?: Unspecified

Based on the Stern table from 1981.
Script based on destruks script from his old table together with TAB.
Graphics based on the graphics redraw by Francisco666 as found on his FP table.

So here it is another "oldie" from the 80's :)

Click here to download this file

These are my tables, sorted by date, all them playable with VPX 7 or newer:

vp.jpg

After 18 years making tables, it is time to take a rest and let new authors do their thing.

I guess at last I'll play some more pinball :). But I'm sure I'll make some table updates from time to time :)

#2 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,831 posts

• Favorite Pinball: GOT, Alien Star, LOTR, TOM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:26 PM

I knew it ... saw HF' B2S on randr site this morning. Immediately though ... JP is back from holiday - maybe, just maybe he has a surprise in store for us again.
Thank you once again JP ( and HF )

From now on. I won't help anyone here at VPF. Please ask Noah why that is.

#3 Rajo Joey

Rajo Joey

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: Attack from Mars, Abra Ca Dabra and many old EM-Tables

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:41 PM

I hope you could relax well. Hardly back, again at work. :otvclap: :dblthumb:

Rajo Joey - My front-end-files; Hundreds of Audio- and Videorecordings in high quality for Playfield (4k/60FPS) and Backglass (HD), Wheels & POV-Files: The Media-Post

https://www.facebook...02697096474910/

https://www.facebook...oups/VPAddicts/

https://www.facebook...oups/VPjunkies/

#4 bolt

bolt

VPF Veteran

• VIP
  • 5,031 posts

• Favorite Pinball: JP's Deadpool, Harlem Globetrotters, Spiderman and much more

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:01 PM

Cool, thank you JP.

Posted Image

#5 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 6,442 posts

• Favorite Pinball: I like both new and old, but I guess I prefer modern tables with some rules and goals to achieve.

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:08 PM

I hope you could relax well. Hardly back, again at work. :otvclap: :dblthumb:

Yes, I had a great time on the cruise, 14 days doing absolutely nothing, eat, relax, enjoy shows, and eat again, hahaha, that's life on a cruise :)  We were 3 days at Hamburg too, very nice city.

I knew it ... saw HF' B2S on randr site this morning. Immediately though ... JP is back from holiday - maybe, just maybe he has a surprise in store for us again.

hahaha, yes, I did have a surprise, but I didn't knew about it until last Thursday when my friend from Argentina, Leo, said to me: "look at this picture (of a Stern Lightning), I can take pictures, It is very nice... bla, bla, bla" :) He didn't actually asked me to make it, so I spend a few days on the graphics, one day on the table and a few hours for the script. Francisco666 already had redrawn the graphics, but I actually prefer to use the real images, so I used his graphics as a based and I started to cut and paste real images and to redraw the missing parts. And I test it the table the last 2 days. So I guess I do just like Microsoft: let the users test it :)

The only thing that doesn't work just like the real table is the display in the middle of the table. It didn't work in destruk's table, so I guess that display is not 100% emulated. But it works quite well like it is :)

vp.jpg

After 18 years making tables, it is time to take a rest and let new authors do their thing.

I guess at last I'll play some more pinball :). But I'm sure I'll make some table updates from time to time :)

#6 WWE

WWE

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Williams Indiana Jones,T2 Judgment Day,Teenage Mutanten Ninja Turtles,WWE Royal Rumble Flipper,Medieval Madness, Metallica, AC/DC, Spiderman WWE Wrestlemania for Stern, Batman 66, Pirates of the Caribbean,Monsterbush,

• PS3 Gamer Tag: PS4 Weekend

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:33 PM

Thank you JP for Stern Pinball  :otvclap: 

30041117ij.jpg

#7 hauntfreaks

hauntfreaks

Real 4K Tables Since 2013

• VIP
  • 2,515 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: -<3<3<3 All Real Pins

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:38 AM

yeah this table is a real eyegasm... awesome as always JP

my B2S will be available here sunday....  ;)

26794541816_30ca1cca80_o.gif 43109635392_fc11af1a57_o.gif

#8 Brer Frog

Brer Frog

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Funhouse, Attack From Mars, Medieval Madness

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:01 AM

Thank you again for a really fun table. Great job!

#9 facelift

facelift

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: pinbot

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:38 AM

table looks great.  Nice job.

Why do all the stern seem to have terrible ball physics.  (old sterns)

When you try acdc or metallica, the ball feels very real.  Moves with weight and bounces right.

This table and all the older sterns like freefall etc, the ball feel like it's floating and doesn't move realistically.

Are the physics just not tweaked right??

#10 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 6,442 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:23 AM

Well, it all depends what you call "realistically" :) If you increase the slope the ball will get more "weight". But if you look at some videos of the table you'll see that the ball movement can only be described as "chaos", with the ball bouncing like mad. I think I have managed to capture that feeling of "chaos" :)

vp.jpg

#11 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:21 PM

@facelift : If you don't like something - then change it. That is for me at least a huge part of this hobby. And I want to add - there is decades between the tables you are talking about.

#12 Nemo

Nemo

Pinball Fan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,283 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: Monster Bash

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:43 PM

Thanks JP, i'm getting a whole new appreciation for this era of pinball, loving this stern !

(And thanks to Leo for pointing you to this table  :shutup:  :dblthumb:  )

Gone fishin', no really.......

My F14 Cab http://www.vpforums....showtopic=21820

My Coffee Table http://www.vpforums....topic=25407&hl=

My Jukebox WIP http://www.vpforums....topic=23825&hl=

#13 STAT

STAT

Pinball and Arcade Freak

• VIP
  • 4,970 posts

• Flag: Austria

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:54 PM

Thanks JP, Looks like you had a good Holiday :)
Very nice with the Playfield LED :tup: ... great Table ... and with HauntGlass only ;)

#14 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 6,442 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:02 PM

Very nice with the Playfield LED :tup: ... great Table ... and with HauntGlass only ;)

Yes, I had a nice holidays :) It's hard to start working again, hahaha.

And those "LED" are plain VPX lights. I wasn't sure if I should use photoshop to make those leds, as I have done in the past, or use plain VPX lights. And I decided to try with VPX lights :) And the result is not bad :)

vp.jpg

#15 hauntfreaks

hauntfreaks

• VIP
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:58 AM

HauntGlass..... nice of you to include the GL  ;)

#16 akiles50000

akiles50000

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,075 posts

• Flag: Spain

• Favorite Pinball: Ali

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:56 AM

I have done a good picture of backglass of Lighting:

00d6bf22b324b754eeff974da4915de9o.jpg

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

#17 Roosta

Roosta

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

• Flag: Sweden

• Favorite Pinball: Theatre of Magic

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:39 PM

Hi, I am a newbie that just landed here. First of all, thank you so much for sharing your fantastic work with us!

I have a question/problem that I haven't been able to answer after a few hours going around in the forums. I am running VP10.3.0 on my desktop and the score displays show no information. Everything else works fine, but no scores. Medusa and Lost World by the same author work without problems, but Lightning and a few other solid state tables won't show any activity on the displays. I am sure it must be a silly thing, but it is driving crazy :)

Edited by Roosta, 28 August 2017 - 11:40 PM.

#18 facelift

facelift

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: pinbot

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:06 PM

@facelift : If you don't like something - then change it. That is for me at least a huge part of this hobby. And I want to add - there is decades between the tables you are talking about.

I understand there are decades between the tables I mentioned.  That doesn't mean the ball physics would change just because one table is older than another. A ball still has to flow realistically with weight to it.

I have owned both Lightning and Flight 2000.  I can tell you, the ball doesn't feel real at all.  The tables look absolutely beautiful.  Awesome work.  I'm just really disappointed in how they play because of the way the ball moves.  I've sold both of my original machines (just recently) and was hoping for a good play experience with these awesome recreations, but sadly, for me anyway, since I've played the real games, they just aren't fun the way they play.   I would love to change the physics myself but I have to learn more.

#19 hauntfreaks

hauntfreaks

• VIP
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:01 PM

I understand there are decades between the tables I mentioned.  That doesn't mean the ball physics would change just because one table is older than another. A ball still has to flow realistically with weight to it.

I have owned both Lightning and Flight 2000.  I can tell you, the ball doesn't feel real at all.  The tables look absolutely beautiful.  Awesome work.  I'm just really disappointed in how they play because of the way the ball moves.  I've sold both of my original machines (just recently) and was hoping for a good play experience with these awesome recreations, but sadly, for me anyway, since I've played the real games, they just aren't fun the way they play.   I would love to change the physics myself but I have to learn more.

you are the PERFECT candidate to tune these tables.... someone post him a link of tuning physics..... Ben??   Thalamus??

#20 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:16 PM

@facelift :

My suggestion - find a table that Rothbauerw has made.

Star Trek Bally 1979 should fit nicely since Flight 2000 is a Stern from 1980. Compare ver 1.4.0 and 1.4.2.

The flight 2000 table you are talking about, is it from this site ? I could not find that table here.