#1 strells

strells

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 400 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family

Posted 25 July 2021 - 08:36 PM

In the Popper display setup, I've rotated the playfield display 180 because of the way my cabinet is in my room.  The test video in the display setup does appear correctly rotated 180.  However, no matter whether I have the display rotation set to none or 180, Popper refuses to rotate the way I specify.  It always appears like the rotation is set to none.  Is there another setting I'm missing somewhere?

Edited by strells, 25 July 2021 - 09:15 PM.

#2 strells

strells

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 09:40 PM

Well, I've partially figured this out. I thought the playfield and the wheel were the same "display" but they're not. "Game Select" is the display to focus on. It's confusing because the display names in the display setup do not match the display names in PinupMenu, which is essentially a PuPPack itself. It's called "WheelBar" in the PuPPack editor for PinUpMenu. The PinUpMenu PuPPack uses a custom position for the Wheelbar which overrides the display settings no matter what Mode you set in the PuPPack editor: <display#>,74,0,17,100. Confusingly, this uses percentages instead of pixels. (74,0) is x,y position (about 1/4 of the way from the right edge of the landscape display) while (17,100) is the x/y size of the display. So on a 1920x1080 display, the size is about 326x1080. By deleting the custom position in the PuPPack editor, I can place the wheel in the display settings instead to be 1/4 from the left edge of the screen instead of the right. The only problem is that the rotation option in the display settings still has no effect on this particular display when running PinUpMenu, so there must be some other shenanigans going on that make the PinUpMenu PuPPack different from other PuPPacks. 

#3 strells

strells

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 11:52 PM

I figured it out.  I set the thumbnail rotation in the Game/Wheel Toolbar options to 90, but I didn't realize I had to click "Reset All Thumbs".  After I did that, the thumbnails are oriented correctly.  I also found in the POPMedia Default folder the game select menu .png.  All I had to do was rotate the image and now everything looks good!  I have to figure out that selection info at the wrong end of the display, but I'm getting there.

Attached Files

#4 strells

strells

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 400 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 01:09 AM

I have not been able to figure out how to get the info text on left side of the screen instead of the right as shown in my screenshot from a couple of weeks ago.  Any info on how to rotate and move this text?  This is my final barrier to using Popper with a 180 degree rotated playfield.

#5 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,823 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Too many to choose...

Contributor

Posted 17 August 2021 - 01:57 AM

Simply put... DO NOT flip your playfield display in windows. Keep it at normal Landscape, as that it was Popper, VPX, tables other apps and most media are designed to work with. You WILL have problems using it flipped and will regret it. I understand flipping is nicer for your room setup... but you will regret it... as many others have before.

I really wish VPX simply worked with all tables automatically in Portrait.... but it doesn't.... so this is why we still use Landscape as the layout. Portrait would be the best to use... but that requires every table / POV to be adjusted for Portrait. It can be done... but the community prefers to hold on to age old standards.

#6 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 17 August 2021 - 02:25 AM

I have not been able to figure out how to get the info text on left side of the screen instead of the right as shown in my screenshot from a couple of weeks ago.  Any info on how to rotate and move this text?  This is my final barrier to using Popper with a 180 degree rotated playfield.

You might try reverse rotated portrait?
But like terry said, popper is not exactly designed with that in mind

rotated OS has not quite caught on.

For VPX itself, it works great, i make tables with the OS rotated, it's easier to me.

but front ends may not wish to quite go along for that ride

@Terry
I have a hand edited autopov.pov that only changes the table rotation, to 0, in cab orientation
doesnt touch any other aspects
worth a try, i have only tried it on one PC, but it saves you from having to flip every table around

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary

#7 strells

strells

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 400 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 03:41 AM

Simply put... DO NOT flip your playfield display in windows. Keep it at normal Landscape, as that it was Popper, VPX, tables other apps and most media are designed to work with. You WILL have problems using it flipped and will regret it. I understand flipping is nicer for your room setup... but you will regret it... as many others have before.

I really wish VPX simply worked with all tables automatically in Portrait.... but it doesn't.... so this is why we still use Landscape as the layout. Portrait would be the best to use... but that requires every table / POV to be adjusted for Portrait. It can be done... but the community prefers to hold on to age old standards.

As I've stated in other posts, I did not rotate my display in Windows, and I am not in portrait mode.  All I did was rotate it from the ALP HDMI settings (-90 instead of +90).  My Windows monitor arrangement is correct and matches all setup videos except that the Windows taskbar is on the right when facing the machine instead of the left.  This works for all programs.  I created a global .pov file for VPX which works great.

For Popper, as I stated earlier, I've been able to rotate all the screens and rotate and place the wheel on the left side of the landscape display instead of the right (see my attached image above from 7/27).  The only issue is the info text.  I can live without it (and I have been) but there must be some way to rotate it and move it to the other end of the display.

#8 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,823 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Too many to choose...

Contributor

Posted 17 August 2021 - 04:09 AM

Not possible for the text without creating a new theme for Popper to completely rotate and rearrange everything in the theme settings.

You shouldn't be changing anything in the ALP at all from the default +90. There's no need to do that as by default the Windows taskbar should be on the left side. Most people make changes using the Backglass monitor if they need to see things. Everyone who has tried doing what you are doing has regretted it down the line.

Again... you are creating more headaches for yourself that you shouldn't need to be doing. Use the default layout for everything, as some features down the line may not work as intended because they can't get around Windows rotation issues.

Yes, for Portrait you can change only the rotation for POV... but that's not good enough for all tables... and you will need to manually change the pov's other settings to get everything correct. The best solution would be portrait pov files for all tables... and I've been tempted to do that for the tables I play... but its not a benefit for me to do so.

Edited by TerryRed, 17 August 2021 - 04:10 AM.

#9 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 04:55 AM

Yes, for Portrait you can change only the rotation for POV... but that's not good enough for all tables... and you will need to manually change the pov's other settings to get everything correct. The best solution would be portrait pov files for all tables... and I've been tempted to do that for the tables I play... but its not a benefit for me to do so.

Not to hijack his thread but, i have not run into that issue, but again, i have only done it on one PC/Monitor setup, so maybe doesnt work across the board

and i made the POV in notepad++ and it contains no data except the rotation, which is not the normal way to make a POV of course
It also may have to do with what i consider correct on the screen and what others consider correct as i run all tables in cab view at the exact same POV with the exception
of the Z offset.

But, there is probably 0 advantage to bothering to do this if you are not like designing or editing on the same machine
You dont spend enough time in settings or windows or editing, and you can normally drag any setup stuff to the backglass to see normal.

It is nice when editing though, oh and for FSS, it is really nice if you play in FSS view, we just dont have many FSS tables

[edit] Oh and with BAM, i though it was pretty cool, if you had a single screen setup

Edited by wiesshund, 17 August 2021 - 05:07 AM.

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

#10 strells

strells

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 400 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 07:46 AM

Not possible for the text without creating a new theme for Popper to completely rotate and rearrange everything in the theme settings.

You shouldn't be changing anything in the ALP at all from the default +90. There's no need to do that as by default the Windows taskbar should be on the left side. Most people make changes using the Backglass monitor if they need to see things. Everyone who has tried doing what you are doing has regretted it down the line.

Again... you are creating more headaches for yourself that you shouldn't need to be doing. Use the default layout for everything, as some features down the line may not work as intended because they can't get around Windows rotation issues.

Getting back to my thread, well, that's a shame.  But why would AtGames have the -90 option if not for something like what I'm doing?  Can everybody look at their cab from the left side except me?  And again, I'm not rotating in Windows.

Anyway, I guess I can live without the text.  Popper works perfectly fine with the modifications I've made to rotate everything else.

#11 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 09:53 AM

Getting back to my thread, well, that's a shame.  But why would AtGames have the -90 option if not for something like what I'm doing?  Can everybody look at their cab from the left side except me?  And again, I'm not rotating in Windows.

Anyway, I guess I can live without the text.  Popper works perfectly fine with the modifications I've made to rotate everything else.

Well, it is designed to be able to be used for many things

But you are using only 1 specific thing, Popper.

PinballX for example does not care what way you flip the screen, if you set it up right
but it also does not do the same things Popper does.

So you kind of have to go with what works for your total combination of stuff

#12 ttalving

ttalving

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• Flag: Sweden

• Favorite Pinball: simpsons

Posted 24 April 2022 - 05:33 PM

Hi Strells! 

Did you manage to find a solution for this? 
If not, where u able to disable the info text? 

I'm doing a custom build with a Samsung The Sero TV and the input defaults to the windows bar on the right side. Since it's a rotatable TV i can't really flip the orientation so the windows bar would be on the left side since then when i rotate the TV the display would be upside down.

Glad to hear any solutions you found on this topic!

#13 strells

strells

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 400 posts

Posted 25 April 2022 - 10:22 PM

Hi Strells! 

Did you manage to find a solution for this? 
If not, where u able to disable the info text? 

I'm doing a custom build with a Samsung The Sero TV and the input defaults to the windows bar on the right side. Since it's a rotatable TV i can't really flip the orientation so the windows bar would be on the left side since then when i rotate the TV the display would be upside down.

Glad to hear any solutions you found on this topic!

I think I figured out how to rotate the text, though I'd have to go back and remind myself how I did it.  However, I rarely use the front end since I'm almost constantly adding new tables and I have a wireless keyboard with trackpad so I can just double-click the .vpx files.

#14 msony

msony

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• Flag: Hungary

• Favorite Pinball: Volkan, BTTF

Posted 09 September 2023 - 03:29 PM

Hey everyone!

Here is the solution:

https://vpuniverse.c...rientation-tip/