Photo
- - - - -

Standard or Widebody: What did you choose and why?

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

Poll: Standard or Widebody? What did you choose? (180 member(s) have cast votes)

What size cabinet did you decide to build?

1. Bally/Williams Standard Cabinet (54 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

2. Bally/Williams Widebody Cabinet (99 votes [55.00%])

Percentage of vote: 55.00%

3. Other (27 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 phlove

phlove

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

• Flag: Costa Rica

• Favorite Pinball: Walking dead

Posted 20 December 2018 - 11:21 AM

so whould should i build than for a body if i want to use a 43" 4k TV playfield

The only mesurements i found are the williamns Standard body cabinet.

#82 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,831 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: GOT, Alien Star, LOTR, TOM

Posted 20 December 2018 - 11:58 AM

43" is perfect for WPC widebody - not standard. This is the PDF I downloaded a long time ago and made my WB after.

https://www.dropbox....debody.pdf?dl=0

From now on. I won't help anyone here at VPF. Please ask Noah why that is.

#83 phlove

phlove

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 02:25 PM

yeah thats the same i got to so i take this one than for the 43" playfield thx

#84 nickbuol

nickbuol

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Theatre of Magic

Posted 20 December 2018 - 03:07 PM

Another option is to build a custom cabinet, and pay a little more for a a custom lockdown bar, route the sides, and fit a 43" in a cabinet that is just 3/8" wider than a standard cabinet with no visible bezels.  I was putting my cabinet side by side with my Theatre of Magic pinball, and standing there, they look the same size despite the small difference in width.  

pEwQaXS.jpg

AKM25Yd.jpg

#85 phlove

phlove

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:30 PM

43" is perfect for WPC widebody - not standard. This is the PDF I downloaded a long time ago and made my WB after.

The widht od the body is abou 59 cm so as i see all 4k 43" TV´s here are 62 cm how do your TV fitted there ?

#86 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:54 PM

I used a monitor - not a TV and I didn't need to do anything. I actually have some extra room to spare. No rooting required here.

#87 gtxjoe

gtxjoe

VPF Veteran

• VIP
  • 5,060 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, AbraCadabra

Contributor

Posted 21 December 2018 - 12:59 PM

The widht od the body is abou 59 cm so as i see all 4k 43" TV´s here are 62 cm how do your TV fitted there ?

Make sure the measurement you are talking about does not include the TV stand. All the 43 tvs I see on amazon are about 57 cm without the stand

#88 BobAlbright

BobAlbright

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 2,294 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Attack from Mars

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:33 PM

One thing to keep in mind when making that decision is Where you are planning to put it. I bought a standard size Virtuapin a few years back. Thank goodness I did not go for the wide body. The location for my pin is on my second floor. My friend and I carried the machine to the second floor for final assembly. If it had been a wide body, we never could have gotten it around the "elbow" in the stairs

"and in the end , the love you take is equal to the love you make"

#89 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:14 PM

That is a valid point. The advantage though for a wide body is that you have more room for the gadgets later on. I is basically the standardized lock down bar that holds you back from making it the size you want/need. It is possible to buy custom made lockdown bars that will fit your cab. Of course these are more expensive and I don't know by how much.

#90 LynnInDenver

LynnInDenver

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Genie

Posted 03 April 2019 - 02:28 AM

We're doing the full vintage widebody thing here, partially because that happens to be the monitor we have lying around to use for a playfield. We wound up buying a vintage lockdown bar from a Paragon off eBay to fit it.

#91 bigfoot53

bigfoot53

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

• Favorite Pinball: BlackKnight

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:30 AM

I went with a Gottlieb Widebody  49" 4K Playfield , Everything fits nicely edge to edge Playfield sits on a pivoting platform to allow easy access to the inside of cab. Most playfields look good widebody but i have narrowed a few tables to the normal width  and the look good as well :)

Album: Widebody
0 images
0 comments

#92 nevess

nevess

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

• Flag: Portugal

• Favorite Pinball: Indiana Jones

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:25 AM

I went with a Gottlieb Widebody  49" 4K Playfield , Everything fits nicely edge to edge Playfield sits on a pivoting platform to allow easy access to the inside of cab. Most playfields look good widebody but i have narrowed a few tables to the normal width  and the look good as well :)

Do you have pictures of that?

#93 viper

viper

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: ac/dc

• 360 Gamer Tag: vviippeerr

Posted 07 June 2019 - 02:38 PM

so i have a question about the standard wide body plans that are kicking around online the ones by mameman, is that what most of you have built your widebody cabinet from? if i look at the #'s the back glass wont fit my 32" samsung display most are 28 or 29" wide for a 32" display and the size of back glass box is only 27.3, i know i can modify it, there also seems to be 2 different sets of the same wide body plans kicking around with different measurements

and

http://vpuniverse.co...-cabinet-plans/

seems both will still not fit a 32" backglass, just curious what other people have used or did they simply modify these ones to fit a larger display for the back glass.

#94 MikePinball

MikePinball

Oak Micros Pinball Products

• Platinum Supporter
  • 416 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Space Invaders

Posted 07 June 2019 - 11:06 PM

I am basing build on the second set of wide body plans. I actually didn't know the first set existed. In both cases the plans show the measurements but not how the parts fit together. I am partway through creating a CAD design for CNC so I can get this how I like it before routing any wood. I see two major differences:

1. First plan does not clearly show how the cabinet top fits so that there is 1/2" of wood for the playfield glass to butt into. Note that it can still work assuming that top is raised up a bit. I followed the V3 plan but ended up chopping out the top part of each side. This picture makes is clear.

topdetail.jpg

2. The "depth" of the bottom of the backbox is either the same depth as the top of cabinet (150mm) or is different (160 and 180mm). I have been wondering why the two are not the same size. There might be a good reason for this.

The plans also have some problems such as the leg bracket holes on the front are the same height as the ones in the back. The standard is to invert the bracket so that the front holes are higher which gives an extra 2 degree angle to the playfield. You can achieve almost the same effect by unscrewing the leg levellers. For a virtual table, I cannot decide yet if I want to follow the norm for a real table or not.

Both plans show the same width for the backbox, which is 100mm wider than the cabinet. You could make it even wider to accommodate your monitor. Personally I think the standard backbox is also too high for a monitor and speaker panel and am thinking about reducing both the height and the width to fit a 28" monitor.

MikePinball (dba Oak Micros).

#95 smithy001

smithy001

Enthusiast

• Gold Supporter
  • 58 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: WhiteWater, No Fear, MM, STTNG

• PS3 Gamer Tag: flappypedals01

Posted 06 July 2019 - 02:32 PM

I started with the  cab, a Zaccaria Locomotion cabinet, so standard dimension as fas ar I know.
A Samsung 37 inch HD TV without the housing fit perfectly snug inside the cab.

The question is: do you already have a cab and want to find a fitting screen,
or do you have a nice screen and want wanna build your cab around that?

Look up some manuals first with specifications and you will discover some standards,
like Samsung or Sony series X or Y has a standard width of A and a standard length of B.
The width is important if you don't want to build your own custom cab.

In my case this leaves a small gap on both top and bottom of the playfield screen.
The bottom gap I filled with a wireless keyboard. Looks nicely lit and dims out after two seconds.
I prefer to leave a bit of a top gap open to ensure airflow between tv and glass for cooling matters.
Maybe put some subtle LED's in there later.

Edited by smithy001, 06 July 2019 - 02:52 PM.

W10 64, 750W, MSI Z370, i5-8600K 6 x 4,0 GHz, 16GB DDR4 3300, MSI 1070Ti 8GB OC.
PF Samsung 37" HD 1920x1080. BG Acer 27" 1920x1200. Samsung SSD. WD HDD.
LED-Wiz, GP-Wiz 40, RGB Buttons. Trust 5.1 Sound, Logitech wireless keyboard.
VP9.21, VP10.6 VP10.7.4, VPM3.2, DOF R2, Pinball X with +/- 290 tables.

#96 aet

aet

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Mata Hari

Posted 10 July 2020 - 04:56 PM

I went with a widebody from virtuapin because a) 43" 4k playfield, and b) just more room inside. I don't have a space constraint in the location where it is going, and my previous was in a Paragon cabinet which was even wider, so this one feels slim by comparison  :P

#97 garnel

garnel

Enthusiast

• Gold Supporter
  • 257 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 18 May 2021 - 06:24 PM

I went with a standard body pincab. If doing it over, I would get the widebody - There is only one vendor left, Vizio, that makes a 40 inch 4K UHD TV. All others have moved to 43 inch screens.

#98 garnel

garnel

Enthusiast

• Gold Supporter
  • 257 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 08 August 2021 - 03:45 PM

Decided to build a WPC widebody from Virtuapin, and once it's set up, I plan to sell my standard body cab.

Wondering if there is any demand for a quality full size cab (Xtension), with all 3 displays installed, along with 10 solenoids, shaker, gear motor, knocker, 7.1 SSF with 4 inducers and 2 bass shakers. Included also are the driver electronics for the toys - LEDWIZ connected to a 16 channel Sainsmart relay board. I'm thinking of selling it without the computer - that way everything is legal - no bootlegged software.

The playfield is a 40" 4k Vizio, backglass is a 32" 720p tv, and the DMD is a 14.9" VSDisplay unit.

I plan to price it reasonably -  curious to find out if there is any demand.

#99 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 08 August 2021 - 06:07 PM

Decided to build a WPC widebody from Virtuapin, and once it's set up, I plan to sell my standard body cab.

Wondering if there is any demand for a quality full size cab (Xtension), with all 3 displays installed, along with 10 solenoids, shaker, gear motor, knocker, 7.1 SSF with 4 inducers and 2 bass shakers. Included also are the driver electronics for the toys - LEDWIZ connected to a 16 channel Sainsmart relay board. I'm thinking of selling it without the computer - that way everything is legal - no bootlegged software.

The playfield is a 40" 4k Vizio, backglass is a 32" 720p tv, and the DMD is a 14.9" VSDisplay unit.

If i had anything called money, i would probably be interested, even though id probably not use the SSF or the DOF since it would save a lot of work
and those things that i probably wouldnt use, i could probably give to someone else.

So yea, i imagine you will find some demand out there

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary

#100 Conehead

Conehead

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Not sure yet!

Posted 26 August 2021 - 05:14 AM

How much is "reasonable"?  :)

And where would it be shipped from.