dany78

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

• Flag: Italy

• Favorite Pinball: junkyard

Posted 18 April 2021 - 09:07 AM

That's the one yes. And the github is a collection of several hundred of tables that was made pre 10.4 where DjRobX made the code so we could get the 9th parameter to playsound, so we could start to use x AND y.  https://github.com/s...pxtable_scripts - read the info. It isn't completely dead, I sometime add or fix things to it. Same goes for Arngrim, but we both try to work with the table authors to get it into the tables instead of needing to put it up there. Some things are not ONLY ssf improvements. Last week I believe it was, UncleWilly sent me a fix for Big Bang Bar that I've updated. ( the mod of that table has this fix - but, the bigus1 code hasn't, maybe for next version ? )

You have to look at the github as a rough but working improvements. With good samples, from eg. TOM, you should be able to make many tables sound much better in that those samples are the best every made for VP. Also, if you are using 10.6 ( still I recommend that for players ), then you should download 10.7 beta. and take all the scripts that are in that and overwrite all that you've got in your current vp scripts folder. Doing so, will give you even better ssf. This is because Michaels made code updates to core.vbs implementing what Rob did in 10.4. Obviously, the other devs where on it too ;)

Hi Thalamus,

im new and i have built my ssf with 4 exciters and a shaker...all go fine.
I have activated 7.1 enhanced in vpx options and Many tables plays well (roms and mechanical sounds)...my problems seems to be only with williams/bally/Capcom tables  rom sounds...i hear only mechanicals soundsl from exciters but no music and voices from my 2.1 backbox outputs....but Williams/bally pinsounds and altsounds plays well.
This seems to happen only with williams, bally and capcom ones that i ve tested
What can i miss?
P.s. if i set my systems in stereo mode roms plays well.1f625.png

#22 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 18 April 2021 - 09:16 AM

That's the one yes. And the github is a collection of several hundred of tables that was made pre 10.4 where DjRobX made the code so we could get the 9th parameter to playsound, so we could start to use x AND y.  https://github.com/s...pxtable_scripts - read the info. It isn't completely dead, I sometime add or fix things to it. Same goes for Arngrim, but we both try to work with the table authors to get it into the tables instead of needing to put it up there. Some things are not ONLY ssf improvements. Last week I believe it was, UncleWilly sent me a fix for Big Bang Bar that I've updated. ( the mod of that table has this fix - but, the bigus1 code hasn't, maybe for next version ? )

You have to look at the github as a rough but working improvements. With good samples, from eg. TOM, you should be able to make many tables sound much better in that those samples are the best every made for VP. Also, if you are using 10.6 ( still I recommend that for players ), then you should download 10.7 beta. and take all the scripts that are in that and overwrite all that you've got in your current vp scripts folder. Doing so, will give you even better ssf. This is because Michaels made code updates to core.vbs implementing what Rob did in 10.4. Obviously, the other devs where on it too ;)

Hi Thalamus,

I have activated 7.1 enhanced in vpx options and Many tables plays well (roms and mechanical sounds)...my problems seems to be only with williams/bally/Capcom tables  rom sounds...i hear only mechanicals soundsl from exciters but no music and voices from my 2.1 backbox outputs....but Williams/bally pinsounds and altsounds plays well.
What can i miss?

By default most of those ROMs have a volume setting of "Quieter than a night with Hellen Keller"

try tapping the 8 and 9 keys (you may have to open the coin door [END] key)

altsounds have their own volume setting in the csv file, that's why they play fine

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary

#23 dany78

dany78

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

• Flag: Italy

• Favorite Pinball: junkyard

Posted 18 April 2021 - 09:21 AM

Hi Thalamus,

What can i miss?

By default most of those ROMs have a volume setting of "Quieter than a night with Hellen Keller"

altsounds have their own volume setting in the csv file, that's why they play fine

volume is set to 27...yesterday i was playing fine all tables fine in stereo mode...same roms.

Edited by dany78, 18 April 2021 - 09:26 AM.

#24 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 10:02 AM

Hi Thalamus,

What can i miss?

volume is set to 27...yesterday i was playing fine all tables fine in stereo mode...same roms.

Any possibility you disabled the sound in the ROM by mistake?
Hit F1 and see if sound has become unchecked?

Something else you can check if it looks like sound is enabled, since other non altsound ROMs you can hear fine
You have to show the pinmame display to check it

start the ROM, either with the table or through the test function of pinmame's setup.exe
with the vpm display in focus (have to click on it if started via the table)

press ~ in the keyboard

then up or down arrow

you will see main volume, and then will see volume for the various audio processors the ROM used

(incidentally an audio channel whose name starts with YM is usually the music)

you can try turning some of those up to see if you hear any change, or if you notice any looking abnormally low.

For something to have happened to that between todat and yesterday though the cfg file for the rom would have had to have gotten corrupted
as those not not things stored in nvram, nor stored in the registry, those slider positions get stored in the cfg folder, per rom

I am not really suspecting that, but there is no harm in checking.

Can you give an example table that you are having this trouble with?

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

#25 tdboss

tdboss

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

• Favorite Pinball: twilight zone

Posted 18 July 2022 - 02:35 PM

I am having a similar problem where the music is missing on certain tables.   I had installed my tables on my system before I installed exciters.  Music in games like Chuck Berry does not seem to play, but music in Pin Packs do.  I have a backbox, a left and right exciter and a shaker.  I have it set for two channel stereo with the exciters and the shaker on the second 2.1 amp.  It will pay all the sounds including Rom sounds, but the MP3 music tracks that are explicitly identifed in the script cannot be heard.  I have looked and the sound settings on F! and fooled around with different surround settings in the VPX set to no avail. I looked through the Nvidea drivers to see if I could find a missing center channel.

So in summary, when there is an explicit call out in the script to play a music track in the /music folder, the music does not appear on either the back box or inside cabint speakers.  All the other sounds are present.

#26 tdboss

tdboss

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

• Favorite Pinball: twilight zone

Posted 23 July 2022 - 04:37 PM

Figured it out.  Apparently, with my setup (Windows 11 with Realtek output driving exciters in cabinet and HDMI driving the back box speakers on Legends pinball) there was music on the "phantom center channel".  I used the HDMI to output "stereo" and had missing music.  The magic sauce was Equalizer APO.  I intstalled it and futzed with the APO controls until I could figure out the interface (thanks to SSF Facebook group). 

All I did was to move the center channel to both right and left on the sound output of the HDMI channel.  I took a chance of not moving the Left and Right channel to each other (some people recommended that also).   I closed APO, rebooted and it worked.  I am assuming (have not looked deep) that APO starts with Windows or whatever changes occurred stuck.  Beacuase, now it works fine without having to mess with APO. 

I did the code to "share the woofer exciter", but I have not done thorough testing to be sure that the woofer sharing is working.

I am curious why there is a "phantom middle channel" in my setup.  A HDMI back box with Realtek cabinet sounds setup does not sound all that exotic.  It is windows 11 with a 6600 graphic card.  While some folks have this problem of a "phantom center channel", it does not seem to be all that common......

#27 SmedleyB

SmedleyB

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Theatre of Magic

Posted 15 January 2023 - 12:57 AM

Is there any fine tuning to be done for tables that play mp3s or videos via wmplayer or maybe VLC (I think some pup pack games must use vlc to play the media?)

Blood Machines - songs/mp3s are stored in a folder outside of Sound Manager, mapped to an array in the table script and ultimately output via a call to wmplayer.ocx. I only have 7.1 outputs available to map to in Windows and if you play any mp3 via Windows Media Player, it is going to send some audio to the surround channels...not the full channel, but whatever it interprets as "surround" channel. With exciters, I'd rather have all the mp3/song music stay only on the backglass speakers.

Batman 66 / GOTG / Iron Maiden LOTB - I'm not smart enough to follow what's going on in the script, but I think I'm running into the same issue as above. Songs are stored in the pup's topper folder and mapped via that screen. Sounds sent to the backglass and played by VLC (I guess?) are being output to 7.1 channels instead of a simple 2.1 stereo mix.

#28 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 01:39 AM

I am curious why there is a "phantom middle channel" in my setup.  A HDMI back box with Realtek cabinet sounds setup does not sound all that exotic.  It is windows 11 with a 6600 graphic card.  While some folks have this problem of a "phantom center channel", it does not seem to be all that common......

Most likely due to the EDID data from the monitor
What ever is plugged into and HDMI cable 1st, reports back tot he PC the capabilities of said device
If the EDID lists multichannel, then that is the speaker setup windows uses.

You can most likely change that in control panel > sounds
and set the device to use 2 channel 44,100Hz

Assuming you are saying the backbox is offering a center channel
Since the HDMI and the Realtek are entirely separate discrete audio devices.

Is there any fine tuning to be done for tables that play mp3s or videos via wmplayer or maybe VLC (I think some pup pack games must use vlc to play the media?)

Blood Machines - songs/mp3s are stored in a folder outside of Sound Manager, mapped to an array in the table script and ultimately output via a call to wmplayer.ocx. I only have 7.1 outputs available to map to in Windows and if you play any mp3 via Windows Media Player, it is going to send some audio to the surround channels...not the full channel, but whatever it interprets as "surround" channel. With exciters, I'd rather have all the mp3/song music stay only on the backglass speakers.

Batman 66 / GOTG / Iron Maiden LOTB - I'm not smart enough to follow what's going on in the script, but I think I'm running into the same issue as above. Songs are stored in the pup's topper folder and mapped via that screen. Sounds sent to the backglass and played by VLC (I guess?) are being output to 7.1 channels instead of a simple 2.1 stereo mix.

plain vpx table with external mp3 music just simply ask windows to play them
windows will play them via media player, in what ever fashion windows it set up to play.
May want to make sure you dont have any theater modes enabled on the PC, since they can make stereo music files play ambient reverb out the surrounds

PUP uses vlc for all audio/video
not sure if vlc has any settings about how it plays audio
but 1st i would make sure you dont have any theater modes enabled, like Atmos or Sonic or any other spatial enhancements or environments

#29 SmedleyB

SmedleyB

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 03:20 AM

windows will play them via media player, in what ever fashion windows it set up to play.
May want to make sure you dont have any theater modes enabled on the PC, since they can make stereo music files play ambient reverb out the surrounds

but 1st i would make sure you dont have any theater modes enabled, like Atmos or Sonic or any other spatial enhancements or environments

Confirmed no spatial settings. No settings of importance to change in WMP. In VLC, there is an option to turn Dolby Surround off, but it has no affect.
Here is what confounds me - play an mp3 through WMP or VLC or within a VPX game, it plays with surround enabled. But assign that same mp3 as background music in Pinup Popper menu and that song plays in 2.1 stereo - no surround, nothing coming through playfield speakers.

Edited by SmedleyB, 15 January 2023 - 03:20 AM.

#30 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 05:53 AM

Confirmed no spatial settings. No settings of importance to change in WMP. In VLC, there is an option to turn Dolby Surround off, but it has no affect.
Here is what confounds me - play an mp3 through WMP or VLC or within a VPX game, it plays with surround enabled. But assign that same mp3 as background music in Pinup Popper menu and that song plays in 2.1 stereo - no surround, nothing coming through playfield speakers.

sounds like you have all speaker stereo enabled in audio settings for the device that is the windows default audio device (as there is what the media players will play through)

whatever is playing the backglass audio (HDMI in your case right?)
that devcie should be windows default audio device
and in that devices advance properties, also make sure it only has a stereo playback chosen

#31 SmedleyB

SmedleyB

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 06:13 AM

sounds like you have all speaker stereo enabled in audio settings for the device that is the windows default audio device (as there is what the media players will play through)

whatever is playing the backglass audio (HDMI in your case right?)
that devcie should be windows default audio device
and in that devices advance properties, also make sure it only has a stereo playback chosen

Realtek driver reinstall fixed it. MP3s played through both WMP and VLC were getting treated as though surround sound was enabled, and that also carried over into the mp3s they played that were triggered through VPX. If I put my ear close to the playfield/surround speakers, i could tell it was definitely getting processed like surround - only bits and pieces of the songs were going to the surround speakers. I tried a bunch of stuff before reinstalling and could not disable it.
I'm using speaker out from the motherboard, no HDMI.

#32 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 09:40 AM

Yea something definitely went fubar with the drivers then.

Dont ever let windows update the drivers for that, they are rather generic from MS

they dont know diddly about the actualy implementation on the MOBO.

I use the realtek drivers written by Alan Finoty, but i am not 100% certain you would want to run those on a cab.

#33 funkatron101

funkatron101

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Attack from Mars, Bride of Pinbot, Monster Bash

Posted 25 January 2023 - 09:38 PM

So, I recently connected an older Creative 7.1 speaker system with four exciters. Two mounted next to the flipper buttons, two in the middle of the table. BUT I discovered that my sound card only is 5.1, meaning the exciters all share the same rear channel. 

Is it worth it to upgrade to a 7.1 card, or do you think the difference would be negligible? 

#34 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 12:25 AM

So, I recently connected an older Creative 7.1 speaker system with four exciters. Two mounted next to the flipper buttons, two in the middle of the table. BUT I discovered that my sound card only is 5.1, meaning the exciters all share the same rear channel. 

Is it worth it to upgrade to a 7.1 card, or do you think the difference would be negligible? 

What motherboard do you have?
Assuming by sound card you mean the onboard sound chip?

#35 funkatron101

funkatron101

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Attack from Mars, Bride of Pinbot, Monster Bash

Posted 26 January 2023 - 02:49 PM

No. It is a Creative 5.1 PCIe sound card that I bought a while ago for about $40. 

It looks like a 7.1 card would cost anywhere from $70 to $100 and I'm not sure if that is a worthy investment. 

#36 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 08:10 PM

No. It is a Creative 5.1 PCIe sound card that I bought a while ago for about $40. 

It looks like a 7.1 card would cost anywhere from $70 to $100 and I'm not sure if that is a worthy investment. 

Ah
for 5.1, unplug the upper pair of exciters
run backbox/rear of table on front speakers
then exciters for front of table on the surround channels

It should still work very well

And in VPX dont set 7.1
use the surround that says front is rear of table

Edited by wiesshund, 26 January 2023 - 08:11 PM.

#37 xYx

xYx

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Adams Family

Posted 20 March 2024 - 03:27 PM

Thank you so much for this.  I spent days installing and removing and trying all configuration but nothing work.  Nothing worked until I removed all files from the EquilizerAPO config directory except config.txt.  I also deleted all the content of config.txt except [Include: PinVolSFF.txt]  [no brackets] on the second line.  I left the first line blank.  THANK YOU!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SSF, VPX