Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: The Flintstones

Contributor

Posted 14 December 2019 - 02:08 PM

With the new release of DOFLINX 7 DDH69 integrated a feature that many of us were waiting for impatiently. We can now use the digital plunger in Fx3, Fx2

1st you will need DOF enabled and your digital plunger needs to be setup properly. I tested this with a virtuapin digital plunger and it works well.

You will need to do the following to set it up.

• start doflinx and right click and choose test joystick
image-1024x858.png
  • set your port to match your digital plunger port.
image-1.png

To find which port your plunger is connected to, pull your plunger until you see the Current Z position numbers change. if it does not change with joystick port one, pick 2 or 3 etc....

image-2-1024x527.png
  • now we need to change the settings in the dofconfig.ini . Right click the file and edit with notepad++ ( The code is included in the new doflinx 7 version in the Sampleini folder. I chose ddh69's current config file to get the code. )
image-3.png
  • You will need to located the following code
#PLUNGER_AXIS=Z
#PLUNGER_JOYSTICK_NUMBER=2
#PLUNGER_KEY=0D
# PLUNGER_PULL_POINT=63000
#PLUNGER_RELEASE_POINT=33000

Uncomment the # to enable the command. your code will look like this

PLUNGER_AXIS=Z
PLUNGER_JOYSTICK_NUMBER=2
PLUNGER_KEY=0D
PLUNGER_PULL_POINT=63000
PLUNGER_RELEASE_POINT=33000

At this point you need to set the PLUNGER_JOYSTICK_NUMBER=2 to your port. mine is 1 so it will be PLUNGER_JOYSTICK_NUMBER=1

• because FX3 is coded differently, DOFLINX will need a trigger point to release the ball. The plunger has a setting of 32767. you will need to pull the plunger completely and release it to set the Z position you want the ball to be released.
image-4.png image-5.png

I chose 45000 to be the release Z trigger and will change the values in the code.

PLUNGER_AXIS=Z
PLUNGER_JOYSTICK_NUMBER=2
PLUNGER_KEY=0D
PLUNGER_PULL_POINT=32767
PLUNGER_RELEASE_POINT=45000

Now you can start your favorite FX3 table and the digital plunger will work.

Thank you DDH69!

https://youtu.be/BhmnzGc2PQc

#2 Friffy1

Friffy1

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Cyclone

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:50 PM

So I'm a little confused looking at your video... It doesn't remotely have a 1:1 response when you pull your plunger.  In fact, it seems to be fully pulled, or fully released.  Is that impossible or something?  How the heck can anybody get a skill shot like that?  Seems you'd actually get better control using a button, no?

#3 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,078 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Monster Bash

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:30 AM

So I'm a little confused looking at your video... It doesn't remotely have a 1:1 response when you pull your plunger.  In fact, it seems to be fully pulled, or fully released.  Is that impossible or something?  How the heck can anybody get a skill shot like that?  Seems you'd actually get better control using a button, no?

FX3 uses a key to drive its plunger, so its pressed or released.  The longer you press before release the stronger to plunger pull.  What DOFLinx delivers for cabinet users with a digital plunger is the ability to set a point when the FX3 plunger key is "pressed" then another point where it is "released", it is not a fully proportional plunger like you'd get in VPX.  At the end of the day we can't get inside FX to add this sort of functionality like can be done with VPX, the difference between a true pinball emulator and a pinball fantasy game.

So when setup pulling the plunger briefly will give you a light FX ball launch, holding it out longer will give a stronger launch - as good as it gets, but not anything like proportional.

I hope that explains things for you.

DOFLinx
Contributions for equipment to help with ongoing DOFLinx development can be made here

#4 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,720 posts

• Favorite Pinball: M M

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:32 PM

My plunder set up  - this is what I use for FX2/3 - x360ce 32 bit

https://www.vpforums...e=2#entry413506

#5 Friffy1

Friffy1

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:52 PM

Thanks.  I'm using XPadder instead of X360CE.  Same idea.  Which I think is setup properly as I can see the result if I do a Test Joystick within DOFLinx.  My range is something like 33xxx through 65xxx and the test responds perfectly.  But when I actually launch PFX3 it get this really weird effect where I pull the plunger back, then the on-screen plunger slowly moves back, then I release and it releases.  But I don't at all get when you show in your video in the link you sent.  Are my values just wrong maybe?  I don't quite understand PLUNGER_PULL_POINT and PLUNGER_RELEASE_POINT.  So maybe that's the problem.

- Tom

#6 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 06:44 PM

Thanks.  I'm using XPadder instead of X360CE.  Same idea.  Which I think is setup properly as I can see the result if I do a Test Joystick within DOFLinx.  My range is something like 33xxx through 65xxx and the test responds perfectly.  But when I actually launch PFX3 it get this really weird effect where I pull the plunger back, then the on-screen plunger slowly moves back, then I release and it releases.  But I don't at all get when you show in your video in the link you sent.  Are my values just wrong maybe?  I don't quite understand PLUNGER_PULL_POINT and PLUNGER_RELEASE_POINT.  So maybe that's the problem.

- Tom

I never set up the plunger with DOFLinx

#7 Friffy1

Friffy1

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:17 PM

- Tom

I never set up the plunger with DOFLinx

OKAY...  So!  You just use X360CE and have it send the plunger data?  Okay...  And that comes out as the right thumbstick Y?  Is that right?

#8 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 11:57 PM

And that comes out as the right thumbstick Y?  Is that right? -- I believe so

When I have time I will check my set up

#9 Friffy1

Friffy1

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 12:13 AM

And that comes out as the right thumbstick Y?  Is that right? -- I believe so

When I have time I will check my set up

Okay...  So I setup x360ce and I can see that it registers my plunger as the right thumbstick.  That is to say, when I pull my plunger, I see the right thumbstick move in a way that looks correct.  But When I load up PFX3 it doesn't seem to notice when I pull the plunger at all.  I checked the settings in PFX3, and it's set to right thumbstick, but it's showing an XboxONE controller... not sure if that matters.

Now, thing is....  I've never used x360ce before.  I did tell it to specifically use the settings for the pinballfx3.exe file.  But I can't tell if it's actually running when I close the configuration window.  So I may just be doing something stupid here...

UPDATE:  I got it working!  Well, like 90%.  I seem to have to pull the plunger a good inch before it'll start to register.  Any idea there?  Frankly, I can live with it.  It's not horrible.  Just not quite 1:1.  Once I get past that 1-inch mark, it really does respond just about 1:1.  It's awesome!  BUT, if you have any advice on how to get rid of that deadzone, that'd be great.

Thanks again!

Edited by Friffy1, 21 January 2020 - 12:45 AM.

#10 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:46 AM

Are you using the same type of plunger set up I am?

#11 Friffy1

Friffy1

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:56 AM

Seems to be very similar.  And also using KL25Z.

#12 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:12 AM

Seems to be very similar.  And also using KL25Z.

Your using a 10K Slider Pot ?

#13 jevansoh

jevansoh

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

• Favorite Pinball: The Simpsons

Posted 21 February 2023 - 08:56 PM

I'm using a KL2 Pinscape board for my plunger.

When I go to DOFLinx.exe and right click then click Test Joystick, any number of joystick other than number 1 gives me an Error #165, but Joystick 1 although it doesn't give any errors just has all zeroes and doesn't respond or do anything when I pull the plunger.

I don't know where to go from here or what to do.

Any help would be much appreciated as I'd really like to get the plunger to work in FX2/3 with DOFLinx.

#14 jevansoh

jevansoh

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 09:17 PM

When I look at Joysticks in Windows, it says I have a Pinscape Joystick configured, so I don't know if that matters.  I don't know where to go from here...

When I open the Pinscape Configtool and click on Joystick, I see the plunger there and it is moving around fine so I don't know why it isn't showing up in DOFLinx??

#15 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 10:08 PM

When I look at Joysticks in Windows, it says I have a Pinscape Joystick configured, so I don't know if that matters.  I don't know where to go from here...

When I open the Pinscape Configtool and click on Joystick, I see the plunger there and it is moving around fine so I don't know why it isn't showing up in DOFLinx??

And in Windows does they joystick respond when you pull the plunger?  If not, then you may have something we've seen before (and has been posted about on this site) whereby the Pinscape tool can "see" the plunger working but Windows (and hence DOFLinx) cannot.  I've never had this happen, but I believe its a case of when Windows installs the incorrect driver.  I think poeple have removed and reinstalled the Windows driver, but you may want to search a bit regarding that solution.

DOFLinx
Contributions for equipment to help with ongoing DOFLinx development can be made here

#16 jevansoh

jevansoh

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 10:16 PM

I'll go check right now and report back.

BTW, which Windows driver are you talking about exactly?  I can try reinstalling it but am unsure as to which one you refer?

And in Windows does they joystick respond when you pull the plunger?  If not, then you may have something we've seen before (and has been posted about on this site) whereby the Pinscape tool can "see" the plunger working but Windows (and hence DOFLinx) cannot.  I've never had this happen, but I believe its a case of when Windows installs the incorrect driver.  I think poeple have removed and reinstalled the Windows driver, but you may want to search a bit regarding that solution.

I just checked.  When I open Joysticks in Windows, it says Pinscape Controller.  When I click on that, it shows 7 red buttons but nothing more.  When I pull the plunger, the buttons do not activate.  Calibrate is grayed out.

I don't know where to go from here??

#17 jevansoh

jevansoh

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 10:35 PM

I just tried disabling the joystick in the Pinscape Configtool and programming the board to reflect that change.  When I did that, as expected, the joystick disappeared from Windows.  I then reenabled it and programmed the board and now it shows back up in Windows, but I'm getting the same problem where DOFLinx doesn't recognize it.

I don't know where to go from here though??

#18 jevansoh

jevansoh

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 10:58 PM

I found and fixed the problem.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Google was my friend. :)

Here's the link with the info I used to fix it:  http://mjrnet.org/pi...JoystickButtons

Thanks again for all your hard work!

#19 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 11:22 PM

BTW, which Windows driver are you talking about exactly?  I can try reinstalling it but am unsure as to which one you refer?

I just checked.  When I open Joysticks in Windows, it says Pinscape Controller.  When I click on that, it shows 7 red buttons but nothing more.  When I pull the plunger, the buttons do not activate.  Calibrate is grayed out.

Sounds like you have the wrong driver for Windows.  You may wish to try removing the driver and reinstalling it.  Obviously be aware of what you are doing and take appropriate backups first.

DOFLinx

#20 jevansoh

jevansoh

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 February 2023 - 01:11 AM

Sounds like you have the wrong driver for Windows.  You may wish to try removing the driver and reinstalling it.  Obviously be aware of what you are doing and take appropriate backups first.

Well, I spoke too soon.  Although that made the joystick visible to Windows and DOFLinx, unfortunately, now none of my buttons work.

I've checked them in Pinscapeconfigtool and they aren't working there now, either.

No physical changes have been made, so now I'm really at a loss because not one of my buttons are working and I don't know where to go from here.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated at this point.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fx3, doflinx