echodun

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone

Posted 29 September 2021 - 10:03 PM

I'm having trouble with Freezy showing that it's doing anything with my PinDMD3 panel.

I've downloaded the .zip file for version 1.90 of Freezy (x86 version even though I have Windows 10 64bit)

I moved over all of the files in the zip folder to the vpinmame root directory.  I also have an altcolor folder with all of the various rom files.

I changed the DMDDevice.ini file so that virtualdmd = false; and PinDMD3 = true with COM3.

I didn't download Visual Studio 2017 or Net Framework 4.5.2 as I figure I should be good without these (maybe that's the problem?)

I ran Visual Pinball and the DMD shows up like it always does, but there's no color change.  I clicked the "turn color on' under F1 and it merely changed it to the 4-hue colors which I see anyway.

I'm stumped.  What am I missing.

#2 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 30 September 2021 - 12:16 AM

ROMs do not go in alt color, unless that is not what you meant?

You need a 

vpinmame\altcolor\romname\pin 2 dmd.vni

and

vpinmame\altcolor\romname\pin 2 dmd.pal

minus spaces in "pin 2 dmd"
You need this per colored ROM

Unless ROM is a patched STern ROM
Then you will only have a .pal file

Can you turn the virtual DMD back on and verify you see color in it

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary

#3 Bushav

Bushav

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

• Favorite Pinball: AC/DC

Posted 30 September 2021 - 01:23 AM

What game are you trying to use a colorization on? The last few are done using 64 colors which Freezy doesnt support.

Edited by Bushav, 30 September 2021 - 01:24 AM.

#4 echodun

echodun

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 12:44 PM

Sorry for the confusion.  Yes, I put the appropriate colorization files (it was a zip file packet) in the altcolor directory.  They are properly named the same filename as the rom zip files.  I tried LOTR 2.0 (renamed lotr) as I believe it's a full colorization (which I believe should work with Pindmd3).  I suppose I could turn the virtual DMD back on to see if it works.  

#5 echodun

echodun

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 01:33 PM

Okay, I seemed to have got it working.  I was actually putting my LOTR zip file in the altcolor directory.  Silly.  Anyway, the LOTR 2.0 had a red line that runs through half of the bottom of the display.  A few other games I tried just don't look like anything special (like a 4-color palette - High Speed 2, Twilight Zone).  Ripleys looked pretty good, but it's weird, at the end of the day I found the color more distracting than anything.  Perhaps it's the old school in me.

Thank you both for your help. 

#6 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 06:05 PM

Okay, I seemed to have got it working.  I was actually putting my LOTR zip file in the altcolor directory.  Silly.  Anyway, the LOTR 2.0 had a red line that runs through half of the bottom of the display.  A few other games I tried just don't look like anything special (like a 4-color palette - High Speed 2, Twilight Zone).  Ripleys looked pretty good, but it's weird, at the end of the day I found the color more distracting than anything.  Perhaps it's the old school in me.

Some colorizations are better than others

LOTR alt color should look like this

NC2Yk3o.png

End result shout look like this, keep in mind screen shot is while the screen is in process of drawing

Qlis1aP.png

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

#7 strells

strells

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 400 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family

Posted 30 September 2021 - 06:11 PM

If you're seeing only the 4-color palette, then there's something wrong with your file setup or patch.  As weisshund noted, the folder in altcolor must be the same name as the ROM, and the 2 files in that folder must be named pin 2 dmd.pal and pin 2 dmd.vni (not named after the ROM).  Some color files come with the files themselves named after the ROM.  You have to rename them pin 2 dmd.pal and pin 2 dmd.vni.

(no spaces between pin 2 dmd; forum is replacing that with an IP warning for some reason)

Edited by strells, 30 September 2021 - 06:15 PM.

#8 echodun

echodun

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 09:20 PM

I downloaded an altcolor.zip color pack which supposedly contained a bunch of table color palettes.  Unfortunately, they only have two files that read as follows:  

._pin2dmd.pal

pin2dmd.pal

There's no .vni files in any of the game folders in the altcolor.zip.  Is this acceptable?  Do I need to download Pin2Dmd colorizations to use with my pin3dmd?

Thank you.

#9 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 10:16 PM

With out a VNI you technically have no colorization
at best you just have a 4 color pallet of unknown quality
and the 4 colors simply equate to the brightness level of the lit pixel

And most likely you simply have a bullshit color pack that does nothing useful

The only ROM colorizations that do not have a VPN file are Stern Color patched ROMS and that is because you can patch the color info into the ROM itself

So like adc170h becomes adc170hc after patching it
and only only have a pallet file, no VNI

And there is only a small amount of color patched stern roms, and that aint what you got.

What you got most likely looks like ass and does not work well at all and is not much different than you setting pinmame to use 4 random colors for the brightness levels

The only place i will recommend downloading ROM colorizations from is VP Universe

Edited by wiesshund, 30 September 2021 - 10:16 PM.

#10 echodun

echodun

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 10:32 PM

Am I suppose to use the pin2dmd colorizations at vpuniverse or is there another folder category?

Thank you.

#11 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 10:44 PM

for the love of god, please stop typing it
the forum bastardizes it to the point i cant read

Go here for pin 2 DMD type colorizations

And ALL the color files get the SAME names, just the ROMNAME folder changes

they all get named Pin two D M D  DOT  V N I  and Pin two D M D   DOT  P A L

Go Here for Stern Rom Patches and FOLLOW the directions to the letter

#12 Bushav

Bushav

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

• Favorite Pinball: AC/DC

Posted 01 October 2021 - 01:41 AM

The smiley face at the end of the substitute statement makes me think this sites owner is trying to convince us to purchase a specific product.

#13 echodun

echodun

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 02:23 AM

Thank you!  Sorry about the weird typing issue.   So literally there's only about 62 DMD colorizations?  Are there special instructions for future pinball other than moving over the dmddevice file?  Especially since they don't utilize an altcolor folder concept.

for the love of god, please stop typing it
the forum bastardizes it to the point i cant read

Go here for pin 2 DMD type colorizations

And ALL the color files get the SAME names, just the ROMNAME folder changes

they all get named Pin two D M D  DOT  V N I  and Pin two D M D   DOT  P A L

Go Here for Stern Rom Patches and FOLLOW the directions to the letter

#14 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 02:31 AM

FP uses no ROMs hence no alt color
I am not sure if FP does color DMD or not, but if it does it would be colored by the DMD images the tables use

FP i gave its own DMD device.ini in its own folder in FP

this is not a per table launch, but it shows you how to start it from a bat file in the FP folder
You could leave that running and it would display the DMD on any FP table actually using a DMD display (not same as HUD DMD)

read freezys site for command args for running it

cd dmdext
start /min ""  "dmdext.exe" mirror --source=futurepinball -q --virtual-stay-on-top --fps 60 --use-ini="C:\emulation\Future Pinball\dmdext\DmdDevice.ini"

here is what the freezys folder for FP looks like

AMOUbTy.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Freezy, PinDMD3, Visual Pinball, VPX, Pindmd3, freezy, DMD