SnidelyWhiplas

Neophyte

• Silver Supporter
  • 8 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Pinbot

Posted 24 April 2024 - 02:17 PM

Asking for a little help...

Have an ALP HD version.  Plays great but their tables are limited....basically no tables from williams or bally or stern etc.  Been playing VP on my desktop since version 8.  Wanna play these on the ALP so I can use the buttons etc.  Just feels more natural this way.  So, I buy the vibs board, install it.  Put a pc underneath running nvidia card.  Basically, a gaming pc.  ALP set to -90 in order to view windows running in portrait mode when  the hdmi is switched over.  dload pinup baller installer and followed Frenchy's tutorial on you tube since it was setting up pinup baller on an ALP machine.  Got everything set...dmd is on the backglass etc.  However, when I start the pinup baller front end, it switches the screen to landscape and flips it 90 degrees.  I need it to go to portrait mode since the screen is 32 inches.

How do I fix this???

Thanx...

#2 markran

markran

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Data East Start Wars

Posted 01 May 2024 - 06:13 PM

Since it's been a few days, I assume you figured this out but for others who may come along... the orientation of the rendered table is set in Visual Pinball (VPX) in the Preferences -> Video Graphics options panel. In the upper left of that panel is a drop down with a list of resolutions and monitors. If you're running 1080p then check to make sure your monitors are listed as 1920 x 1080 res (which is the correct Landscape orientation) and not 1080 x 1920 (which would be the incorrect Portrait orientation). Under "View Mode" select Cabinet. This will make VPX render the graphics 90 degrees rotated.

Now check that in Windows Settings -> Display Properties all your displays are in landscape mode as shown in the screen shot below. We let VPX render the table "sideways", while keeping all Windows settings Landscape. This keeps everything working properly at different resolutions and (mostly) keeps Windows from messing things up.

A couple things to keep in mind about VPX and multiple monitors:

* Sometimes Windows can change the numbering and order of monitors depending on different things including: the order in which it discovers them at startup, which connector on the graphics card a monitor is plugged into, whether monitors are on, off, or sleeping when Windows boots or even updating graphics card drivers. If this numbering or order changes, VPX and Popper will probably display things off-center or on the wrong monitors. The key is to get things configured for your cab and always start everything in the same sequence.

* The monitor numbering in VPX can be different than the numbers Windows shows in Display Properties. This is due to the odd way Windows handles multiple displays and can be confusing if you expect the numbers to be the same.

* The mode that's currently active when you close VPX's graphics settings panel is automatically remembered by VPX on exit and will be the mode VPX uses the next time it starts up (even if it's started from the Pinup Popper menu with a different table).

I currently have an ALP setup similar to yours. I use Pinup Popper for the front-end menu and I have the ALP VIBS board for the backglass monitor. I also added an extra third monitor for DMD screens. I keep all three displays in landscape mode as suggested in the Baller Installer instructions. I usually work on installing new tables or changing configuration settings via remote desktop software (RustDesk) from my laptop. However, when I'm working on the cabinet itself, it's annoying to have the main monitor portrait rotated 90 degrees. So I made a Windows desktop shortcut to a script that calls a little free program that toggles the rotation of the screen. This is handy for doing quick edits and things directly on the cabinet's main monitor. I just need to unrotate it again back to landscape before starting up Popper or the displays will all be in the wrong places. Also, if I'm making changes in the VPX program itself directly on the system (meaning I've rotated the main display to Portrait in Windows), I just need to remember to change orientation back before exiting VPX or it'll start up next time in the wrong orientation.

By the way, the displays working this way is the fault of how Windows handles multiple displays, not VPX or Pinup Popper.

DuogB6U.jpeg

Edited by markran, 01 May 2024 - 11:01 PM.