Photo
- - - - -

BIG PROBLEM - Table starts glitching the longer I play? What is happening?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CrimsonTurtle8

CrimsonTurtle8

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Theatre of Magic

Posted 28 March 2024 - 01:07 AM

So I've successfully completed two VPX tables so far, including one that I think is much more complex than this third one I'm working on, however, with my current table I'm running into a huge and nerve-rackingly unsolvable problem.

Everything works fine, but the longer I play it, the more stuff starts to go wrong. First, I noticed a timer not updating at the correct interval. Then a DMD frame froze randomly -- I checked, it shouldn't be freezing. No code glitch there. Playing again, it crashed saying there was a "hardware reset." So I shrank the images and shaved off 150mb from the total file size. Then I played it again-- it ran fine for like 8-10 minutes, then DMD animations start freezing CONSTANTLY. And other jittery glitches start appearing here and there. These are not mistakes in the code. I've done all this before using these exact codes. In fact I had three DMD screens running on top of each other in my last table -- no problems there. I think the DMD freezing is just a symptom of a larger problem.

So what could it possibly be and how would I fix it? Did I waste all my time making a table that's too complex? Is it too many simultaneous timers? Too many models? I've used NEARLY this many primitives before, if not more, and the tables run like butter. I don't even know where to start. This laptop is the most powerful computer I have with which to test unfortunately. And if this is liable to happen at any time, I'm anxious to even do anymore tables.

Please help if you have any ideas. Is it usual for tables to seem to almost wear out as you play them, especially if there's lots of stuff happening? My laptop kinda sucks but it has 12 gigs of ram at least. HELPPP!!

The only thing I can think is that I have a LOT of stuff running from a single timer that updates every 30 milliseconds that I call the ConstantTicker. I always use this, but maybe haven't put QUITE so much in a single timer before. Could this be it? Would offloading animations and things into separate timers even help? That seems like it would put even more strain on the software or my computer, but I don't know. My last table could run 8 unique table features with animations as "awards" simultaneously, plus 6 simultaneously stacking quests and one mission quest, also with animations and times and models. It ran with no problem. I don't get what I did wrong this time.

#2 digitalarts

digitalarts

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: Judge Dredd (have the real one); all virtual EM's

Posted 28 March 2024 - 09:41 AM

Hi, I don't know more than very little about scripting,
But if you want I could try/test your table at my cab.
i5-12000kf, rtx4060ti, 32gb ram, win10, vpx x86 with all extensions
So we could see if it's a hardware problem

Edited by digitalarts, 28 March 2024 - 09:42 AM.

#3 CrimsonTurtle8

CrimsonTurtle8

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 01:07 PM

Hi, I don't know more than very little about scripting,
But if you want I could try/test your table at my cab.
i5-12000kf, rtx4060ti, 32gb ram, win10, vpx x86 with all extensions
So we could see if it's a hardware problem

I suppose that's worth a shot! I'll dm you. Thanks!

#4 hmueck

hmueck

MaX

• VIP
  • 2,184 posts

• Favorite Pinball: IPDB Top 300

Contributor

Posted 28 March 2024 - 03:23 PM

a single timer that updates every 30 milliseconds

Is it possible, that the timer cannot finish its tasks in 30 ms and starts them again while still running?

VPX0beta tables: 29cff786951ed9c1a70fc1fa47f5e3c1.png 0cecd68ffa2537a7262337834a05bbbe.png Finish them if you like!

#5 CrimsonTurtle8

CrimsonTurtle8

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 03:34 PM

a single timer that updates every 30 milliseconds

Is it possible, that the timer cannot finish its tasks in 30 ms and starts them again while still running?

Yeah I'm wondering if it's something like that. I offloaded about 4 animations from it an hour ago and didn't run into any glitches playing the table THIS time but I don't want to assume the problem is fixed. I'll try distributing the work to other timers first. Thanks for your feedback.

That said the visible glitches I can see usually have happened on the DMD screen which is different timers and a flasher timer that's separate as well. i still suspect the big boy 30 millisecond thing is the core of the problem though. 

Maybe the software can't sweep the code fast enough to get to the bottom? The bottom of the script is where all the screen DMD animations are. But Idk if that's how the software works. I assumed it was all so instantaneous that it wouldn't have trouble scanning every line of text within a millisecond or less, but maybe I expect too much of computers.

#6 digitalarts

digitalarts

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: Judge Dredd (have the real one); all virtual EM's

Posted 28 March 2024 - 03:42 PM

Hi, tested the table almost a hour in one session
No freezing at DMD seen.
Table and ball are always smooth.
Alot of unique features.
One hint, the animated sequence of this "tunnel effect" is IMHO too much, very difficult to recognize the ball during this sequence.
I collected some tokens, but when in DMD the choice is visible to choose left or right flipper, no reaction. But this could perhaps be a WIP task, of course.

#7 CrimsonTurtle8

CrimsonTurtle8

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 04:00 PM

Hi, tested the table almost a hour in one session
No freezing at DMD seen.
Table and ball are always smooth.
Alot of unique features.
One hint, the animated sequence of this "tunnel effect" is IMHO too much, very difficult to recognize the ball during this sequence.
I collected some tokens, but when in DMD the choice is visible to choose left or right flipper, no reaction. But this could perhaps be a WIP task, of course.

Thanks and yeah the token select was something that broke for me as well playing later in the game. it does work normally, but not after awhile of playing, so it seems like that's the one glitch that happened for you. I definitely think it's a processing thing, like the game is just doing too much. I'll turn the opacity way down on the tunnel effect. I appreciate the playtest.