A Faint Ghost Through the Raindrops

• VIP
  • 3,334 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Star Trek, Black Hole, AFM, Fast Draw, Tron, AMH

• 360 Gamer Tag: sixgunsounddd

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:26 AM

Based on Stern's Star Trek (Pro)

I began this project months ago, with an original table layout, but didn't like the direction I was headed with it. Decided to use an existing layout on a table that I really enjoy and adapt the theme to work. It's gone well so far and started to come together in the last few days. Lodger has offered to help with scripting and scoring and without that help I'm a Zoidberg out of water. I'll be sending him a flippable table sometime soon so we can start putting the ideas together.

I'm going to build this around UltraDMD implementation as well.

For now I'll share some thoughts on the scoring, based very loosely on the Star Trek table

6 modes - you can see in the hexagonal lights near the bottom. The names may change if I get other ideas but right now:

Omicron Persei-8

Parasites Lost

Farnsworth Parabox

Slurm Factory

Problem With Popplers

Amazon Snu Snu

With a semi-wizard mode Hypnotoad

On Star Trek, these are stackable, so there's 18 missions (6x3). I'm going to try and keep it simple here, so just 1x on the modes with some mini modes mixed in, completion gets you to the wizard mode... 

The Planet Express light insers (6 of them) will be RGB lighting that light to the color of the current mode and are your indicators for mode progress, they blink, you hit the shot, solidify all 6 lights and you can move on to the next mode.

To get to the next mode, hit the orange flashing lights (left: kicker, right: behind upper flipper to shooter lane) and then you can select the next mode. This will be just like ST. You can also choose the next mode if you drain after completing the current mode

If you complete 3 modes in a row, you get a mini mode (maybe...) that you follow the red triangle lights to complete. We'll see how this goes.

If you hit the red triangles while they're blinking (they will just rotate, left to right, at a steady interval) it adds to your bonus, that's the green triangle lights, all the way up to 300,000. Each red triangle gets you 10,000 so the intensity of the green lights will have 5 steps, dim = 10k, bright = 50k...

Then hit the yellow light targets (I'll change them to blue) lights Nibbler ball lock (under the Planet Express ship)

Purple light targets enables mutant multi ball (the left scoop kicker is the goal)

I hope most of this is do-able. It's going to be an adventure. Futurama gives me a lot of source material and ideas to use so the challenge is going to be reigning them in.

wJtbtAJ.jpg

#2 STAT

STAT

Pinball and Arcade Freak

• VIP
  • 4,970 posts

• Flag: Austria

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:34 AM

Looks very well ... but hope for the real Star Trek next Year(s) ;)

#3 hmueck

hmueck

MaX

• VIP
  • 2,189 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: IPDB Top 300

Contributor

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:18 PM

What does the alien text on the playfield say? :)

VPX0beta tables: 29cff786951ed9c1a70fc1fa47f5e3c1.png 0cecd68ffa2537a7262337834a05bbbe.png Finish them if you like!

#4 freneticamnesic

freneticamnesic

• VIP
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:21 PM

Something like

Ysktdykdhfluxy
Dkgskgdkyskyskyssfj
Dydihefvnkofdugigww
Fjfjdwgifkoesjuf

#5 Pinball999

Pinball999

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

• Flag: France

• Favorite Pinball: Star Wars

Posted 17 August 2015 - 01:48 PM

What does the alien text on the playfield say? :)

your pinballs are belong to us!

#6 Knorr

Knorr

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 221 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Dirty Harry

Posted 17 August 2015 - 02:42 PM

Where's the suicide booth? ;)

Edited by Knorr, 17 August 2015 - 02:44 PM.

#7 lodger

lodger

Board Certified Funk Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Whirlwind, TAF

Contributor

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:09 PM

Where's the suicide booth? ;)

That would make an interesting match screen

berzerk2_0logo.png

http://www.vpforums....&showfile=11819

Version 2.0- Released 2/27/16

#8 freneticamnesic

freneticamnesic

• VIP
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:11 PM

see that's the problem! I go through so many ideas and think...I need 2 or 3 sequels to this thing! I could do a table based on a single episode and still have more content than I'd know what to do with...

actually thought about using the scene from the pilot where bender inserts the quarter on a string into the suicide booth as the animation when you enter coins too

#9 lodger

lodger

Board Certified Funk Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Whirlwind, TAF

Contributor

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:47 PM

It might be worth it to keep a running list of your ideas to revisit later. That way you can rule them in/out....they get hard to remember otherwise. The good part is that you're excited about the project... things get pretty mediocre when designers throw a bunch of vaguely related stuff together and call it a table

berzerk2_0logo.png

http://www.vpforums....&showfile=11819

Version 2.0- Released 2/27/16

#10 freneticamnesic

freneticamnesic

• VIP
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:06 PM

I'm harvesting gifs like a mad man, and I found an excellent website with more wav/mp3s than we'd ever need

I'm sizing the gifs when I get one I like so they'll fit the DMD too

I'll track game type and mode ideas on this thread, and I'm open to suggestions. I have loose ideas but narrowing it down and just coming up with ideas will be fun as well

My thought with some of the ones involving credits is just throw them all in there, and we can randomly pick one. I think I mentioned this to you yesterday but I'm running on little sleep right now. All the gifs and sounds could be tied together with eachother (Shut up and take my money!) (Now THAT'S walking around money) and just randomly called out, so when it comes to the gifs and sounds, there's nothing like too much content... I'll tie quotes down to the game modes and targeting but everything else should be fluid, so no one plays the same game twice.

I did have a great idea for the 3-in-a-row completion quick scoring mode... the lights go dark and the planet express ship shakes back and forth like it's under attack from Zap Brannigan and you have to defeat Zap. So many great quotes we can use there

#11 blashyrk

blashyrk

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: Attack from Mars, Medieval Madness, White Water

• PS3 Gamer Tag: Blashyrk

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:00 PM

Yay finally a Futurama table :D looks very promising

#12 Shoopity

Shoopity

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Contributor

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:30 PM

You know, with the advent of Primitives and the ability to make just about any object non collide-able, I've had a crazy idea for a while of having multiple tables in one.  Point is, you could have a ramp disappear (set the primitive visible to 0, and set the ramp object to not collide-able) and have a suicide booth in it's place (make the primitive visible and make a kicker enabled).  Then, you could have multiple episodes in one table.  Talk about a ton-o-work though.

#13 Trinity

Trinity

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 226 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Star Trek Limited Edition (Stern), AFM, Xenon, T-2

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:31 PM

What a great idea Fren! You know there will be great lighting with Fren on the job.

#14 lio

lio

Enthusiast

• VIP
  • 216 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: Theatre of Magic

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:54 PM

Nice! Looks really beautiful!

#15 gStAv

gStAv

Pinball Lover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

• Flag: Sweden

• Favorite Pinball: TOM, IJ, AFM, WC94

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:05 PM

Love the theme Fren! :)

Personally I love to see a more real take on it rather than a computer animated FX2 type of table. But that's just me :D

This is one thread I'm going to follow up close

3rs054-6.png

#16 pincade

pincade

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

• Flag: Italy

• Favorite Pinball: tom

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:11 PM

Great idea! One of my favourite theme. Thank you

Inviato dal mio SM-N910F utilizzando Tapatalk

#17 stuzza

stuzza

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 572 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: AFM, SS, ACDC, FG

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:34 PM

That's cool!  Great theme for a pin.

FREE High Resolution Pinball Artwork for your cabinet!
Forum Link:  http://www.vpforums....showtopic=26497
Previews here:  http://imgur.com/a/MhlPm

#18 mpad

mpad

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: AFM, TOM; Timeshock (!), Secrets of the Deep (fx2)

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:59 AM

Cool, looking great even in this stage!

#19 STAT

STAT

Pinball and Arcade Freak

• VIP
  • 4,970 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:07 PM

[dream=on] This Tableset would be also nice for a "Metal Gear" Theme, exactly the Crystalis for the Ship :wub: [dream=off]

Attached Files

Edited by STAT, 18 August 2015 - 02:09 PM.

#20 cyberpez

cyberpez

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 394 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Back to the Future

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:57 PM

I'm harvesting gifs like a mad man, and I found an excellent website with more wav/mp3s than we'd ever need

I'm sizing the gifs when I get one I like so they'll fit the DMD too

I'll track game type and mode ideas on this thread, and I'm open to suggestions. I have loose ideas but narrowing it down and just coming up with ideas will be fun as well

My thought with some of the ones involving credits is just throw them all in there, and we can randomly pick one. I think I mentioned this to you yesterday but I'm running on little sleep right now. All the gifs and sounds could be tied together with eachother (Shut up and take my money!) (Now THAT'S walking around money) and just randomly called out, so when it comes to the gifs and sounds, there's nothing like too much content... I'll tie quotes down to the game modes and targeting but everything else should be fluid, so no one plays the same game twice.

I did have a great idea for the 3-in-a-row completion quick scoring mode... the lights go dark and the planet express ship shakes back and forth like it's under attack from Zap Brannigan and you have to defeat Zap. So many great quotes we can use there

Great idea for a theme!!!  Really looking forward to it.  I've not played the new Star Trek but your description for this table sounds awesome.

I like the idea for the random quotes.  I'm using that in the original table I'm working on.  It was pretty easy to set up if you want to take a look.  I've been adding in a dmd..  if you want a look at the latest version let me know.

What are you using to extract gifs and sound clips..?  for me thats been the most time consuming and convoluted part.