Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

NEW! FizX physics system reveal! Is it possible? nFozzy techniques adapted for Future Pinball-BAM?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,823 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Too many to choose...

Contributor

Posted 09 August 2022 - 05:10 AM

NEW! FizX physics system reveal! (Future Pinball - BAM)

Is it possible? nFozzy techniques adapted for Future Pinball-BAM?

What everyone thought was impossible has happened! Future Pinball is no longer bound to it's 17 year old physics! JLou and AnonTet (with contributions from ravarcade and Gimli) have used the power of ravarcade's amazing BAM to adapt nFozzy physics techniques (used in VPX)  to work in Future Pinball!

What does this mean?

- a complete physics change for the entire table

- new updated dynamic physics adjusted in realtime during gameplay

- no more FP flippers (FP flippers are GONE!)

- no more wide flipper shots

- fully accurate and realistic flippers (adjustable)

- dynamic flipper coils and eos switch (no more on/off flippers)

- micro flips, tap passes, drop catches, post passes, and other flipper tricks

- live catch difficulty is adjustable

- slingshots are no longer super sensitive (adjustable)

- slingshots use new techniques for more realistic operation

- ball has a real weight to it (no more balloon ball)

- rubbers are all replaced, fully dynamic and adjustable

- rubbers no longer send the ball flying everywhere

- drop targets now have dynamic / scatter physics

- bumpers use better models and act more realistically

- optional higher polygon ball (8000+) for more accurate physics

- optional higher fps settings for more accurate physics

- more realistic physics and proper control overall

It simply means that now tables can be updated to play with more realistic physics overall in ways we never thought possible on FP. You can accurately make your shots and aim more like you would on a real table.

Does this mean FP can play as good as VPX nFozzy?

I wouldn't go that far (VPX guys know their physics really well).... but this is a MASSIVE improvement to FP overall, and I think "everyone" will be very surprised with the result compared to what they have come to expect with FP physics. It can only get better from here.

I'm VERY happy to be able to add this new physics system to my own releases. I've already seen a huge difference, and their gameplay is much better as a result.

For everyone who wished that my releases were on VPX.... you may no longer feel that way very soon when all PinEvent V2 tables get updated for FizX!

Coming soon!

Thanks to the following for making FizX possible:

- JLou and AnonTet for working hard on this for the last year. Your perseverance has paid off!
- ravarcade for making this possible with his amazing BAM and his support
- Gimli (the unsung FP hero) for his physics contributions and DF1 examples over the years

FizX video reveal!

FTTRT2j.jpg

Edited by TerryRed, 12 August 2022 - 03:33 AM.

#2 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,823 posts

Contributor

Posted 09 August 2022 - 03:55 PM

An example of the "main" settings you can easily adjust for each table (this is not the main FizX code)

SsTNV97.png

Edited by TerryRed, 09 August 2022 - 03:56 PM.

#3 digitalarts

digitalarts

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: Judge Dredd (have the real one); all virtual EM's

Posted 09 August 2022 - 04:23 PM

Sounds amazing! At least some good news in a sad and crazy world...

#4 monoculero

monoculero

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• Flag: Spain

• Favorite Pinball: White water

• 360 Gamer Tag: feromOnO

Posted 09 August 2022 - 08:59 PM

Wow!!!! Awesome!!!! Thanks for your time from Spain! :otvclap:  

#5 NitroNimbus

NitroNimbus

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family

Posted 10 August 2022 - 06:21 PM

I hope it lives up to the hype!! 

Would be nice to actually see a working example instead of just a glorified advert/promo.

I have been hearing about this for 12 months now and when I tested back then it was disappointing, hopefully they have finally sorted it out.

Unlike most I won't de fooled by the hype, but I truly hope I am wrong and it is what you say it is.

But I doubt it, cheers!

#6 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,823 posts

Contributor

Posted 10 August 2022 - 07:39 PM

Would be nice to actually see a working example instead of just a glorified advert/promo.

I have been hearing about this for 12 months now and when I tested back then it was disappointing, hopefully they have finally sorted it out.

Unlike most I won't de fooled by the hype, but I truly hope I am wrong and it is what you say it is.

But I doubt it, cheers!

Given that you still have the same shitty attitude you always do, I don't expect anything positive to ever come from you.... and your response here proves it, yet again. You were never included to do any testing for this very reason, so no... you haven't "tested" anything close to what this is like today. Even VPX physics are constantly being refined and updated.

It's an announcement video, not a gameplay demo. If you actually paid attention to the video, you'll see there already is a table released with this added (and there's already been updates added to the table since the table was posted), and you'll find that table at PN.

No one has said this is going to be "as good as" VPX. Others from the VP crowd including some VP table authors have seen it or tested it... and some have streamed gameplay of it. They have noticed the improvements right away. Others have also tested my own releases with it added (that I'm still working on), and they too have also seen the massive improvements. It can only get better from here.

I'll have my own updated releases available soon enough for everyone to try out for themselves.

Enjoy them or not... but keep your dismissive attitude to yourself... because I'm not interested.

#7 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 10 August 2022 - 09:59 PM

But I doubt it, cheers!

Well, ya know what?
You are right, you should probably not even try it and just walk away now
because it is just going to be terrible and probably ruin your cabinet

Because that is what you have already decided, and you are obviously off on some passive/aggressive campaign to drive people away from it

12 bloody damned months is a flippin long time in software dev, massive changes can happen in 12 months
and you obviously have 0 concept of "testing" at all, because stuff in testing OFTEN does not work as planned, hence it is in TESTING

And Terry would not say that something looks super promising, unless he had his own hands on it and saw for himself
And whatever your personal little petty axe you are trying to grind against him his, i suspect you should just keep that to your self?

@Terryred
If this is even better than the BAM physics i have been applying to the FP tables i have, this should really be kind of a major improvement.
The present BAM physics took FP tables that i liked but had laughable physics and made them play fun.
Maybe not VPX but FP is not VPX it is FP

So if this is better still, then that should be pretty amazing.

I may not get to personally see it, as most good FP tables need PUP or PinEvent etc or all of the above
and i by choice keep a light uncomplicated setup, bare minimum of extras
but perhaps a tutorial will come out some that lets me apply this to the tables i have

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary

#8 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,823 posts

Contributor

Posted 10 August 2022 - 10:59 PM

@Terryred
If this is even better than the BAM physics i have been applying to the FP tables i have, this should really be kind of a major improvement.
The present BAM physics took FP tables that i liked but had laughable physics and made them play fun.
Maybe not VPX but FP is not VPX it is FP

So if this is better still, then that should be pretty amazing.

I may not get to personally see it, as most good FP tables need PUP or PinEvent etc or all of the above
and i by choice keep a light uncomplicated setup, bare minimum of extras
but perhaps a tutorial will come out some that lets me apply this to the tables i have

It's not even close to the same thing as we had before on FP with what you have seen on newer releases (not counting shiva's Jungle Girl, he uses his own excellent system).

To add FizX to a FP table is similar to how you would add nFozzy to a VP table.

You copy / paste the FizX code. For FP, you very much undo / restrict much of what FP does with the Newton engine on the editor, and replace it with better settings (still using Newton for everything) and you add better items on the table to allow the new FizX code to do its magic.

FizX has two main parts. Dynamic Flippers 2 and Dynamic Physics.

=====================

Dynamic Flippers 2:

The old FP flippers are gone. I mean gone. The terrible wide shots are gone. They aim and shoot like you would expect (and are adjustable). The flippers are no longer on/off and have EOS. You can do micro-flips (as they are fully dynamic), only limited to how fast your keyboard / gamepad, etc is. They work like you would expect. You can do post passes, drop catches, live catches, tap passes (again, limited by your keyboard / controller). Bounce / rubbers can be adjusted greatly. The flippers even bounce a little when returning to rest position.

I can do live catches and drop catches a lot now, whereas that was never possible in FP before (and the difficulty can be adjusted).

The flippers alone are a massive improvement. Backhands are still hard to pull off... but each table may vary, and there's lots of adjustments / tweaking that can still be done. They however are a massive improvement compared to before.... and everyone who has tried it notices it right away. You don't have to play a table like a "FP" table anymore with these new flippers.

====================

Dynamic Physics:

This is the rest of the stuff. Everything is changed in the main physics settings, so gravity and ball weight feel very different than before. No need to use slopes of 7+ just to make the ball feel like its moving faster. We are using mostly slopes of 5 to 6 now and still getting modern table speeds and feel.

Rubbers in the main settings are very different to allow new "FizX rubbers" to be used (we add them to replace all rubbers and posts etc). So this allows for dynamic control / scatter angles, etc to be used on a per rubber basis. Simply put... the ball doesn't go flying all over the place like before, and we can tweak / tune much more now.

Slingshots:

This also effects the slingshots, which means you now add new items to make the slingshots more realistic. They no longer just trigger everytime a ball touches any part of the rubber. The ball speed will effect if the sling will actually trigger, and you can adjust the sensitivity threshold. The upper / lower parts of the sling won't send the ball flying off like crazy. If the ball rolls down along the sling, now it wont go off, whereas before it would go flying off and upwards everytime.

Drop Targets

Now we add new items to block all targets so we can have full control over them, and be able to use FizX bounce and scatter, and maybe even speed based hits in the future.

Bumpers:

Using new models for the bumper and skirt separately with the new settings works much better. No need for the old methods of adding in mini EM kickers around the bumper, etc.

Ball:

You can optionally use a higher polygon ball (8000+) to get more accurate behavior.

xml settings:

- these can still be greatly adjusted as needed.

- changing the Newton fps settings from 296 to 592 can give even better results (but you need a faster PC if this makes the table stutter for you).

Many settings and parts of the new code can be changed to work with whatever dynamic code you want to use (based on ball velocity, movement, kinetic friction, etc).

====================

If someone only played FP tables (and never played real pins or VPX), then they would have to "adjust" to how this plays. Its that different. For those who play VPX, you'll be more familiar with how it should play (but I won't claim it's "the same")

That said... sometimes FP's jankiness can creep in at times and sometimes the ball does things it shouldn't.... but that is now much less of a thing whereas before it was all the time :)

There is still more that can be done... and fine tuning / tweaks / better methods are never ending. Honestly, I suck at that stuff, and that is where I need JLou's help.

The old FP flippers are now GONE. That I can guarantee you, and my releases will play MUCH better now... that I can guarantee you!

===================

PinEvent V2 tables don't require anything extra at all to play. No PUP (its optional), and no extra files. It simply needs the newest BAM and will play like any other FP table. The only exception is now you need to patch FP and BAM to allow 4GB ram access for Star Wars DSA Galactic Edition, and maybe Silent Hill and RF2 in the future. (detailed in the Star Wars Install Instructions - super easy to do).

Edited by TerryRed, 25 August 2022 - 05:07 AM.

#9 JLouLoulou

JLouLoulou

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 201 posts

• Flag: France

• Favorite Pinball: Simply play pinball

Posted 11 August 2022 - 11:02 AM

Thanks @TerryRed for your support and explanation for all. It's really a great help from you. I'm lack of freetime to make all this feedback for community

Many thanks to you. For the future i wil try to always improve it

#10 BrandonLaw

BrandonLaw

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Tron

Posted 11 August 2022 - 11:15 AM

I'm extremely interested in this!  I have FP on my cab for mainly my kids as the tables are just fantastic, but watching the ball makes my brain hurt when I own a whole bunch of real tables.  Thanks for all the hard work on this to all involved!

"S...O...S"  /repeat

#11 JLouLoulou

JLouLoulou

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 11:20 AM

I'm extremely interested in this!  I have FP on my cab for mainly my kids as the tables are just fantastic, but watching the ball makes my brain hurt when I own a whole bunch of real tables.  Thanks for all the hard work on this to all involved!

yep, FP have some good orignal table we can't find or do in VPX. Those table will be greatly playable with FizX. Please be patient just little more now. Need to etablished ressource, tutorial etc etc now.. But it's holidays

Envoyé de mon Redmi Note 6 Pro en utilisant Tapatalk

#12 NitroNimbus

NitroNimbus

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 05:58 PM

But I doubt it, cheers!

Given that you still have the same shitty attitude you always do, I don't expect anything positive to ever come from you.... and your response here proves it, yet again. You were never included to do any testing for this very reason, so no... you haven't "tested" anything close to what this is like today. Even VPX physics are constantly being refined and updated.

It's an announcement video, not a gameplay demo. If you actually paid attention to the video, you'll see there already is a table released with this added (and there's already been updates added to the table since the table was posted), and you'll find that table at PN.

No one has said this is going to be "as good as" VPX. Others from the VP crowd including some VP table authors have seen it or tested it... and some have streamed gameplay of it. They have noticed the improvements right away. Others have also tested my own releases with it added (that I'm still working on), and they too have also seen the massive improvements. It can only get better from here.

I'll have my own updated releases available soon enough for everyone to try out for themselves.

Enjoy them or not... but keep your dismissive attitude to yourself... because I'm not interested.

Wow!!

Sorry mate, guess I have hit a nerve.

Why else would I get this bloated response.

Not certain if insulting me will make it better, but whatever works for you.

More than happy to keep my so called "shitty attitude" to myself.

Well all know JLou is the creator of FizX, guessing this stupid name was your idea?

Your just the advert/promo guy, so why get so upset, cheers!

#13 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 07:18 PM

Stupid?
Seems humorous to me

FizX
FizX is an open-source realtime physics adaptation of nFozzy physics for VPX applied to Future pinball via middleware BAM

PhysX
PhysX is an open-source realtime physics engine middleware SDK developed by Nvidia as a part of Nvidia GameWorks software suite. 

But, something like that would obviously be completely missed by this guy
he doesn't even understand Terry's response, and probably doesn't get that his answer to it makes about 0 sense.

Ah well, that is why we have ignore.

@Terryred
If you at some point decide to apply this to your old Aliens ultimate badass version
make sure to post it here, i want to try it out

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

#14 NitroNimbus

NitroNimbus

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 08:15 PM

Stupid?
Seems humorous to me

FizX
FizX is an open-source realtime physics adaptation of nFozzy physics for VPX applied to Future pinball via middleware BAM

PhysX
PhysX is an open-source realtime physics engine middleware SDK developed by Nvidia as a part of Nvidia GameWorks software suite. 

But, something like that would obviously be completely missed by this guy
he doesn't even understand Terry's response, and probably doesn't get that his answer to it makes about 0 sense.

Ah well, that is why we have ignore.

@Terryred
If you at some point decide to apply this to your old Aliens ultimate badass version
make sure to post it here, i want to try it out

Ignore

#15 JLouLoulou

JLouLoulou

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 201 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 12:18 PM

Shut up Nitronimbus !! it's enough! enough on each website put your bad spirit..
If you think you can make better, do better, or shut up.. because as author, we can't tell your table are the best build too.. but the difference with you, we support all kind of skilled level author.. Beginger, high skilled, it's all the same.. but You, you have no tolerence.
and you think we care of all your table that you delete? pppfff.. sorry, they are nothing. we can do without them. So now, have a constructive criticism or shut up!

And no, FizX is not ridiculous. We find this together to make easy identification for table that use DFv2 and DPv1..

My goal was to give my vpx experience to FP because there some good table that should play more like a flipper than it was before, wich can't be made on vpx, and because nobody really try the BAM open door.. And as i'm not high skilled level script-man, i'm sure if some high skilled like in vpx work on it, FP could have more more better physics..

Respect work of other like we have respected yours..

#16 TallaNasty312

TallaNasty312

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 71 posts

• Favorite Pinball: 1976 Bally Freedom, EM

Posted 13 August 2022 - 02:22 PM

My cab is pretty much 100% VPX, but I'm really looking forward to trying this FizX out! Don't worry about the people trying to get a reaction out of you. Let FizX shut em down  :dblthumb:

Motherboard / CPU RAMMSI Z790 PRO Intel Core i7-12700K / Silicon Power 32GB DDR5 RAM (2x16GB) 6Ghz

Playfield MonitorLG 32GK650F-B 32" QHD, 144Hz, 2650x1440 (1440p)
GPURTX 3090 (24GB)

#17 defre1976

defre1976

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

• Flag: Belgium

• Favorite Pinball: 1

Posted 13 August 2022 - 03:35 PM

Coming soon to all pinevent tables . Can't wait to try :db: thx 

#18 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,823 posts

Contributor

Posted 14 August 2022 - 02:52 AM

*** FizX Profiles and Early Tests ***

So... I've been busy learning how to add FizX to Sonic Pinball Mania and Star Wars DSA GE. Adding it is the easy part now.... learning what the many new settings and options do is harder for me (I'm not a physics guy). So I've been slowly getting this to a point where its really playing nice (with JLou and AnonTet's help).

Unlike before with FP (where updated physics were mostly the same)... now I have the burden of trying to get physics that most people will like. Something I'm not used to.

===== Testers =====

So I've had some VP guys and authors test Sonic out with FizX.

JPSalas said he only needed to adjust one setting for his own preferences. The rest he thought was perfect and he really liked how it played.

Others have used their own settings as well for how they prefer things.... and once set, they liked it much more. They understand this stuff better than I do 

Everyone who has tested it has seen the difference and improvements right away, but now with "options"... everyone can now be picky (whereas before FizX, everyone just accepted FP for being FP).

So how do I try to make most people happy?

===== FizX Profiles =====

Well, I decided to try to see about adding FizX profiles to my releases. This will allow you to simply choose a physics profile, then change the FPS to match (Newton physics fps... not Hz).

This will allow for very different settings to be possible on the same table. This also also allows faster PCs to be able to have even better physics by choosing a profile with higher FPS.

This may not be something others will use on their tables... but its something I'm trying out to see if works better for everyone to have a choice.

Even when I finally start releasing FP tables with FizX... it doesn't mean that's as good as it gets. People will learn better how to tweak everything, and JLou still has more ideas (he's on vacation).

Sonic Pinball Mania - FizX should be coming soon.... with Star Wars DSA GE not too far behind!

PP4xsrB.png

0pCkeQf.png

sZTuKNz.png

Edited by TerryRed, 14 August 2022 - 02:53 AM.

#19 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 03:02 AM

i'm sure if some high skilled like in vpx work on it, FP could have more more better physics..

If only we had the FP source, then the BAM guys and others could have a field day

#20 NitroNimbus

NitroNimbus

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 04:32 PM

Shut up Nitronimbus !! it's enough! enough on each website put your bad spirit..
If you think you can make better, do better, or shut up.. because as author, we can't tell your table are the best build too.. but the difference with you, we support all kind of skilled level author.. Beginger, high skilled, it's all the same.. but You, you have no tolerence.
and you think we care of all your table that you delete? pppfff.. sorry, they are nothing. we can do without them. So now, have a constructive criticism or shut up!

And no, FizX is not ridiculous. We find this together to make easy identification for table that use DFv2 and DPv1..

My goal was to give my vpx experience to FP because there some good table that should play more like a flipper than it was before, wich can't be made on vpx, and because nobody really try the BAM open door.. And as i'm not high skilled level script-man, i'm sure if some high skilled like in vpx work on it, FP could have more more better physics..

Respect work of other like we have respected yours..

Wow!! was not expecting this response or that of TerryRed.

But if you insult me and cast interspersion, I do have a right to defend myself.

Maybe it is my choice of simplified words that offend.

The only point I was trying to make is I thought it was a little overly advertised, with claims that may or may not be possible.

I am not certain so much attention should be drawn to something that has only just been released.

As with anything new it will have it's teething problems, but I personally would have waited until there was an awesome example of what it can do.

I don't think it is a good idea to advertise too early, I more than most want this to succeed but I think that someone jump the gun a bit.

There also seems to be a lot of statements I have made and been accused of that are simply not true.

I did not mention anything about VPX physics at all.

I was banned from PN because I was over your bum buddy being self superior, condescending and being a jerk to new authors.

If that's were the negativity comment statements "shitty attitude" comes from, yes 100% guilty.

GeorgeH is improving my mods and posting them, with also 100% my permission.

Not that he needs to ask. So me removing tables comment is mute.

I have one issue and it's your bum buddy and now Terry's new found mate because it is convenient to him.

But don't try to fucking tell me that I think I am superior, this is just a down right lie.

I have respect for everyone and anyone that contributes anything is this hobby. We all do it for free

Sure I might not of helped as many people as Terry, but I support this hobby 100%.

Terry is the best FP modder, dare I say it but he is giving Slamt1lt a run for his money.

I also never meant to disrespect you, I think your coding talents are way beyond mine.

But FizX is a stupid name and I hope it can live up to the hype before it is technically ready.

I just hope it's not fizzle X, cheers!