• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 6,440 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: I like both new and old, but I guess I prefer modern tables with some rules and goals to achieve.

Posted 11 January 2023 - 11:20 AM

Posted Image

File Name: Banzai Run (Williams 1988)

File Submitter: jpsalas

File Submitted: 11 Jan 2023

File Category: VPX/VPinMAME Recreations

Author(s): jpsalas
Manufacturer: Williams
Year: 1988
ROM: Link to ROM
Permission to MOD?: Yes, without approval

Based on the table by /Williams from 1988.

Thanks to EBisLIT for the nice playfield, which I used to build the playfield for this table.
The table's layout was based on the Classic Playfields image.
The plastic and other decal images were found in the internet, mostly eBay.

Some extra notes about the table:

- The table was built with VPX 7.3
- The ramp color can be changed by pressing the keyUpperLeft, usually the (A) key. The color selected will be saved, so you don't need to do this each time you play.
- The upper playfield is only visible when the magnet grabs the ball. It is not visible during test or calibrating. This is mostly for multiball, so you don't loose focus on the playfield ball.
- The magnet animation with the ball and the releasing of the ball is not very nice done, but it works and it serves its purpose :)
- I have not fully tested all the options and rules, but everything should be working, and if not, then write it in the Support Topic thread.
- The rom used is the latest bnzai_l3, but you may change it to bnzai_t3 if you have that rom. Change it at the top of the script.
- This kind of view is not the best for this table, but at least you will be able to play it in desktop mode and in standard cabinets.
- If playing in a cabinet I guess you might need to adjust the POV, but I guess most of you know how to do that.

Anyway the table is not as good looking as the FSS versions, specially I like Bigus mod :), but it won't fill too much your HD :D

Greetings
JP

PS: This is the first table in 2023. I started with it December 30th, so it took me 12 days to built it. Everything was started from scratch, both the graphics and the table :)

Click here to download this file

These are my tables, sorted by date, all them playable with VPX 7 or newer:

vp.jpg

After 18 years making tables, it is time to take a rest and let new authors do their thing.

I guess at last I'll play some more pinball :). But I'm sure I'll make some table updates from time to time :)

#2 bolt

bolt

VPF Veteran

• VIP
  • 5,031 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: JP's Deadpool, Harlem Globetrotters, Spiderman and much more

Posted 11 January 2023 - 11:43 AM

My dream comes true.

Thank you so much JP for this masterpiece.

.. and thanks EBisLIT for the playfield.

regards

bolt

Edited by bolt, 11 January 2023 - 12:45 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Mike DA Spike

Mike DA Spike

Pinball Fan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,201 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: Too many to mention

Posted 11 January 2023 - 11:47 AM

Nice job JP!
I just started with vr and played a vr version of this, but this would be a good one for my cabinet. Will look at it later today, but really appreciate the effort !

Edited by Mike DA Spike, 11 January 2023 - 11:48 AM.

331ddabcc742f0ba74791e946eb0f791.gif Try PinballX Database manager as a replacement of PinballX's game list manager
With special thanks to Scutters 

#4 STAT

STAT

Pinball and Arcade Freak

• VIP
  • 4,970 posts

• Flag: Austria

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone

Posted 11 January 2023 - 12:14 PM

Amazing ... hurry to the Cab on evening ... :)

Edited by STAT, 11 January 2023 - 12:32 PM.

#5 ced

ced

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,155 posts

• Flag: Jamaica

• Favorite Pinball: TRON

Posted 11 January 2023 - 12:57 PM

Thx Mr jpsalas !!!!!  :dblthumb:  :otvclap:  :tup:

#6 tmpc

tmpc

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: fish tales

Posted 11 January 2023 - 01:11 PM

Thank you.

#7 clyde

clyde

Pinball Fan

• Gold Supporter
  • 615 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Monster Bash

Posted 11 January 2023 - 01:26 PM

Thank you JP, The table looks great!  :)

#8 Joppnl

Joppnl

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: Where I can put my name on as Grand Champion......

Posted 11 January 2023 - 02:04 PM

Thanks JP!

Great thought to have the backglass projected and playable on the playfieldl  :good: 

Thanks!

#9 Thalamus

Thalamus

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,831 posts

• Favorite Pinball: GOT, Alien Star, LOTR, TOM

Posted 11 January 2023 - 02:18 PM

Wow, I did see that you where working on this earlier, I know you work fast JP, but, not this fast :)

Looking forward to see what you've come up with, the one I've got, with some weird POV in order to give place for the backglass ... works only so so and isn't played much. It a great machine, so it deserves to be played.

Thanks a lot !

From now on. I won't help anyone here at VPF. Please ask Noah why that is.

#10 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 6,440 posts

• Favorite Pinball: I like both new and old, but I guess I prefer modern tables with some rules and goals to achieve.

Posted 11 January 2023 - 02:28 PM

Wow, I did see that you where working on this earlier, I know you work fast JP, but, not this fast :)

Looking forward to see what you've come up with, the one I've got, with some weird POV in order to give place for the backglass ... works only so so and isn't played much. It a great machine, so it deserves to be played.

Thanks a lot !

I'm always fast doing tables, but these last weeks in Oslo it has been snowing a lot and with -13C during many days, and now it is raining, and everything is full of snow and ice and it is almost impossible to walk. So I haven't been out of the house for almost 2 weeks :) But I exercise 30  minutes every day :) And the rest... vpx and Netflix, hahaha.

The next tables will be 4 LTD tables, but I guess they will take longer than 12 days to complete :)

vp.jpg

After 18 years making tables, it is time to take a rest and let new authors do their thing.

I guess at last I'll play some more pinball :). But I'm sure I'll make some table updates from time to time :)

#11 teisen

teisen

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

• Flag: Brazil

• Favorite Pinball: Scared Stiff / Attack From Mars and many others...rsrsrs

Posted 11 January 2023 - 02:34 PM

thank you to those involved for the beautiful work! the table was a show!

on the apron's card there is a locked ball

banzai.jpg

thanks for the work and for sharing

hugs

club-dorothee-premiers-baisers.gif

#12 H215

H215

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Bram Stoker's Dracula

Posted 11 January 2023 - 02:36 PM

This is awesome! Thanks.

How would I go about getting rid of the ball on the left instruction card?

I was thinking about this table a few days ago.. I'm far from experienced with vpx, only going into my 2nd year but this table has a playfield on the backglass similar to catacomb..

The way multi-screens work in windows is that the further right.. or down in a cabinet's case moves it to the next screen which would be the backbox followed by the dmd. So in theory it's just one long screen.. Would it be possible to place the upper playfield below the regular playfield in vpx so that it's low enough, when we adjust the pov x offset for the table, it positions the upper playfield onto the backbox screen.. Might need a custom screenres.txt. Essentially a really long ass table
in vpx.

Edited by H215, 11 January 2023 - 02:41 PM.

#13 teisen

teisen

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

• Flag: Brazil

• Favorite Pinball: Scared Stiff / Attack From Mars and many others...rsrsrs

Posted 11 January 2023 - 02:37 PM

Thanks a lot !

I'm always fast doing tables, but these last weeks in Oslo it has been snowing a lot and with -13C during many days, and now it is raining, and everything is full of snow and ice and it is almost impossible to walk. So I haven't been out of the house for almost 2 weeks :) But I exercise 30  minutes every day :) And the rest... vpx and Netflix, hahaha.

The next tables will be 4 LTD tables, but I guess they will take longer than 12 days to complete :)

wow JP... 4 tables in 12 days...

that is inadmissible...   :rofl:

hugs

club-dorothee-premiers-baisers.gif

#14 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 02:53 PM

I forgot about that "ball" which I made visible while testing :) I'll make it invisible in the next revision :)

And no, I won't make 4 LTD tables in 12 days :D hahaha

vp.jpg

#15 clyde

clyde

Pinball Fan

• Gold Supporter
  • 615 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Monster Bash

Posted 11 January 2023 - 02:58 PM

This is awesome! Thanks.

I was thinking about this table a few days ago.. I'm far from experienced with vpx, only going into my 2nd year but this table has a playfield on the backglass similar to catacomb..

The way multi-screens work in windows is that the further right.. or down in a cabinet's case moves it to the next screen which would be the backbox followed by the dmd. So in theory it's just one long screen.. Would it be possible to place the upper playfield below the regular playfield in vpx so that it's low enough, when we adjust the pov x offset for the table, it positions the upper playfield onto the backbox screen.. Might need a custom screenres.txt. Essentially a really long ass table
in vpx.

For now you can get rid of the ball by opening layers & clicking on Top PF objects & it will be at the bottom of the apron & you can untick visible.

#16 jpsalas

jpsalas

Grand Schtroumpf

• VIP
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 03:02 PM

This is awesome! Thanks.

in vpx.

Yes, what you think it is possible. I was talking to wiesshund about this a few days ago :) This was the way the tables were made when the first cabinets were made. Windows XP had direct support for this kind of big screens, and it was called "spanned" screen, where two or more screens could be setup as one big screen. That spanned screen disappeared when Windows Vista came out. Later AMD and Nvidia added that spanned screen system back to their drivers, but everybody had already moved to a new way to make those backdrops (UVP, db2s). You will find some of those spanned tables in the download section. They had the backdrop and the table side by side.

vp.jpg

#17 Sheltemke

Sheltemke

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

• Flag: Hungary

• Favorite Pinball: Indiana Jones(Williams), Attack from Mars

Posted 11 January 2023 - 03:21 PM

Thank you so much jp! I thought its not possible in vpx but you showed that it's not true... This was really missed from our collection! :)

#18 STAT

STAT

Pinball and Arcade Freak

• VIP
  • 4,970 posts

• Flag: Austria

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone

Posted 11 January 2023 - 04:05 PM

JP's Typo: 12 Hours ...

#19 Practicedummy

Practicedummy

Multi-Level Madman

• Platinum Supporter
  • 2,683 posts

• Favorite Pinball: I like multi-level pinball the most

• Trophies:

Posted 11 January 2023 - 04:08 PM

I hated the fact I only played this machine once in real life. Wish I had brought more money to that arcade back in the day.

I could have been smart, but I never learned anything by being smart!

#20 roccodimarco

roccodimarco

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Hollywood Heat, Street Fighter II, Gold ball, Grand Lizard

Posted 11 January 2023 - 05:27 PM

Excellent table! I woke up and saw this was released and immediately fired up the cab! Excellent excellent job! This is the last table I have been waiting for. Anything now is just a bonus! Quick question for anyone playing with a push button plunger and not a true pull back plunger. Has anyone been able to hit the skill shot yet? For those who don’t know, if you pull the plunger just right you can bypass the gate at the top of the table and fall right into the hole. The skill shot will auto enter you in the race against green machine. As of right now, I can’t hit the skill shot but have came close to lowering the mech strength to 83.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: banzai, williams, 1988