Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: Terminator 2

Posted 11 June 2023 - 12:43 AM

Hi everyone,

I recently installed DOFLix and used all tutorials I could find to set it up. Everything seems to work as expected (addressable LEDs, solenoids, contactors, nudging, etc.).

After testing FX3 for a bit, I suddenly realised that one of my solenoids just got super hot and burned. Today the same happened to another solenoid. They "click" and then they don't deactivate and burn.

I have two theories:

- there may be some error with the DOF signals or DOFLinx is not sending the correct signal
- It's just very bad luck and the two solenoids just burned because they are cheap china solenoids

Did anyone encounter this before?

Best regards,
Luca

#2 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 11 June 2023 - 01:15 AM

If they did not deactivate and sat there on and burned up
it wont be the solenoid.

I mean they still may be cheap, but the solenoid does not get to decide if it remains powered or not

not sure if that would be your config or controller.
I guess your controller has no watchdog timer?

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary

#3 Lardos

Lardos

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 June 2023 - 01:24 AM

That makes sense, the solenoid seems to do it's job just fine. If it's a communication error setting a "max time" in my pinscape controller might fix the issue, even if DOFLinx is causing the problem.

I will try this. Thanks a lot for this suggestion

Edited by Lardos, 11 June 2023 - 01:25 AM.

#4 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 11 June 2023 - 01:46 AM

That makes sense, the solenoid seems to do it's job just fine. If it's a communication error setting a "max time" in my pinscape controller might fix the issue, even if DOFLinx is causing the problem.

I will try this. Thanks a lot for this suggestion

it may
i dont personally have any controller, but i know Zebs for example, has a watchdog timer
it will shut the solenoids off (except flippers) if the cycle is too long

mind you that does not resolve the issue, just prevents damage from the issue.
WHY they are being told to come on and remain on, is the actual cause and would be worth looking into.

dont really know much about doflinx use
and only know a little bit about dofconfig

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary

#5 Lardos

Lardos

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 June 2023 - 10:15 PM

I agreem it wouldn't fix the actual issue. I will try running DOFLinx in Debug mode to see if there is any information on what might be causing the problem. I will post it here if I find anything.

#6 Urko

Urko

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 160 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: The Shadow

Posted 12 June 2023 - 12:24 PM

Is a company online that sells solenoid kits with circuits to stop this incorporated, id put name but probably not allowed.

I have them in my cabinet, and they cut out if the switch is pressed for too long for the flipper.

Edited by Urko, 12 June 2023 - 12:25 PM.

#7 garnel

garnel

Enthusiast

• Gold Supporter
  • 257 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 12 June 2023 - 04:00 PM

I had a similar problem. When running FX3 and pressing a nudge button, the Back Right Bumper Solenoid would engage and stay engaged until closing FX3. The problem was in my DOFLinx.ini file. The problem solenoid was connected to DOF output #110. After searching for all instances of  "110" in my DOFLinx.ini file, I found the line of code that was turning it on in the default fallback section of DOFLinx.ini and disabled it. This solved the problem.

I've since installed a LED on each solenoid. If one doesn't come on, or if it stays on, you notice the problem immediately - before toasting the solenoid.

#8 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,103 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Monster Bash

Posted 13 June 2023 - 09:14 AM

If you set DEBUG=2 in DOFLinx (debug mode just not visible) you can look at DOFLinx.LOG later and see all the on's and off's driven by FX3 actions.  The only solenoid held on by DOFLinx is a flipper solenoid while the flipper button is pressed.  Having said that, of course all solenoid outputs in DOFLinx have maximum time available in your setup line (including the flippers) to avoid solenoids being left on too long.  I seem to remember the default being 50mS.

As @grnel said, if DOFLinx is leaving an output on its probably because of misconfiguration, ie you'be got one of your solenoid outputs setup in a lighting output.

DOFLinx
Contributions for equipment to help with ongoing DOFLinx development can be made here

#9 garnel

garnel

Enthusiast

• Gold Supporter
  • 257 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 13 June 2023 - 04:43 PM

If you set DEBUG=2 in DOFLinx (debug mode just not visible) you can look at DOFLinx.LOG later and see all the on's and off's driven by FX3 actions.  The only solenoid held on by DOFLinx is a flipper solenoid while the flipper button is pressed.  Having said that, of course all solenoid outputs in DOFLinx have maximum time available in your setup line (including the flippers) to avoid solenoids being left on too long.  I seem to remember the default being 50mS.

As @grnel said, if DOFLinx is leaving an output on its probably because of misconfiguration, ie you'be got one of your solenoid outputs setup in a lighting output.

That's exactly what the line of code was - the line of code that turns the under cab lights red when the nudge button pushed was pointing to the Bumper - not to the Red LED output. My configuration error.

#10 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,103 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Monster Bash

Posted 14 June 2023 - 09:40 AM

Glad to hear the you nailed it  :aikido:

DOFLinx
Contributions for equipment to help with ongoing DOFLinx development can be made here