LuckyMike

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Bride Of Pinbot

Posted 28 June 2023 - 03:52 AM

This is an odd one for me.  I've got visual pinball installed on three different machines, all running Windows 11.  I use PinUp Popper Baller Installer, version 2204 and until now hadn't run into any issues.  On two of the three machines, the backglass displays correctly when I launch a table; on the third machine, there's no backglass.  I've been debugging this, and the issue is that the B2SServer refuses to run on the computer.  

On two of the computers when I launch B2SBackglassServerRegisterApp.exe, I get a window popup with a message "Everything is fine, the B2S backglass server is registered"; however, when I run it on the computer having backglass issues, I get nothing.  No popups, no messages, no error codes.  If I run it from the command prompt, I also get nothing, the program just finishes executing.  I believe this is the reason backglasses aren't showing up, I just have no idea how to fix it.  I've tried uninstalling everything, re-installing everything, and manually trying to install B2S Server v2.0.2 from here:
https://github.com/v...ases/tag/v2.0.2

Running same version of Windows 11 on all systems, up-to-date.  .Net Framework V4.0 is installed.  I can confirm by running this powershell command:
>> reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\CDF
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4.0

I followed this on the wiki to try and "de-register" the dll, in case its already registered, but after installed the suggested program I see its not registered:
https://github.com/v.../DeRegister-dll

I've checked all the "dll's" to make sure they aren't blocked, and unblocked anything that was.  I'm also running as administrator.  At the moment I'm out of ideas, so any insight would be appreciated.  

#2 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 28 June 2023 - 06:34 AM

double click a diretb2s backglass file
b2s server will do nothing if you just execute it alone, it has to have a backglasss to open

see if a backglass opens

if not, try installing this

Download Visual C++ Redistributable Runtimes All-in-One May 2023 | TechPowerUp

if a backglass does appear, make sure B2S is not disabled in VPX DOF/Nudge prefs

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary

#3 LuckyMike

LuckyMike

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2023 - 11:21 PM

Thanks for the advice.  Unfortunately I'm still in the same place.  The issue seems to be with the backglass server failing to register, and not displaying any output.  When I run  B2SBackglassServerRegisterApp.exe, I _should_ get a popup message confirming it was successful like I do on my other computers, but nothing happens on this one machine.  There's no program associated with the .directb2s files, I even dried dragging one overtop of the B2SBackglassServerEXE file to no avail.  I've installed all the VC++ runtimes using that link and unfortunately that didn't do the trick either.

The only thing I can think of now is to install visual studio, grab the source code for the backglass server, compile it with debug information and see what error messages are happening unfortunately.  

b2s server will do nothing if you just execute it alone, it has to have a backglasss to open

see if a backglass opens

if a backglass does appear, make sure B2S is not disabled in VPX DOF/Nudge prefs

#4 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

Posted 29 June 2023 - 01:58 AM

Thanks for the advice.  Unfortunately I'm still in the same place.  The issue seems to be with the backglass server failing to register, and not displaying any output.  When I run  B2SBackglassServerRegisterApp.exe, I _should_ get a popup message confirming it was successful like I do on my other computers, but nothing happens on this one machine.  There's no program associated with the .directb2s files, I even dried dragging one overtop of the B2SBackglassServerEXE file to no avail.  I've installed all the VC++ runtimes using that link and unfortunately that didn't do the trick either.

The only thing I can think of now is to install visual studio, grab the source code for the backglass server, compile it with debug information and see what error messages are happening unfortunately.  

see if a backglass opens

already a debug build on github

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

#5 Cliffy

Cliffy

Enthusiast

• Gold Supporter
  • 248 posts

• Favorite Pinball: King of Diamonds

Posted 29 June 2023 - 05:22 AM

I run  B2SBackglassServerRegisterApp.exe, I _should_ get a popup message confirming it was successful like I do on my other computers, but nothing happens on this one machine.

aha. This is the problem I had a while back, pulled my hair out, bought another pc and damn it same as you! would NOT register! 

After much time with jarr3 we finally figured it out. My b2stablesettings.xml was missing a closing > at the end of the last line. That's enough to prevent the register app from finishing!

Try using a stripped down b2stablesettings.xml, richard may be including one in the 2.0.2 and 2.0.3 downloads. 

Best of luck. I know precisely how maddening this can be!

Edited by Cliffy, 29 June 2023 - 05:31 AM.

#6 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

Posted 29 June 2023 - 05:35 AM

here

https://drive.google...?usp=drive_link

#7 teisen

teisen

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

• Flag: Brazil

• Favorite Pinball: Scared Stiff / Attack From Mars and many others...rsrsrs

Posted 29 June 2023 - 01:36 PM

I also have this problem after updating the B2s Backglass Server... I've done everything and the backglass doesn't load...

now i have this error message

error0.png

club-dorothee-premiers-baisers.gif

#8 Tiki

Tiki

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

• Flag: Germany

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, Tales of Arabian Nights, Creature from the black Lagoon

Posted 29 June 2023 - 03:46 PM

I also have this problem after updating the B2s Backglass Server... I've done everything and the backglass doesn't load...

error0.png

Sounds good. Just copy your working sreenres.txt to the table directory or create a new one and put it there and see what happens.

vpforumstiki.jpg

#9 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

Posted 29 June 2023 - 03:47 PM

error0.png

that right there is your issue

put your screenres.txt in the b2s server folder

which for you looks like the tables folder

If you have one already, it may be invalid, make a new one

#10 teisen

teisen

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

• Flag: Brazil

• Favorite Pinball: Scared Stiff / Attack From Mars and many others...rsrsrs

Posted 29 June 2023 - 04:20 PM

perfect!!!

problem solved

thank you guys

club-dorothee-premiers-baisers.gif

#11 LuckyMike

LuckyMike

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 June 2023 - 07:07 PM

Thanks everyone, I was able to resolve my issue as well.  

I ended up launching the debug version of the server registration application, and was getting this error code:  STATUS_IN_PAGE_ERROR (0xc0000006 Error).  With that information, I was able to do some searching and came across this:
https://www.auslogic...c0000006-error/

For me, something had gotten corrupted on this particular machine.  I ran these two commands from powershell:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

sfc /scannow

The first one might have been sufficient, but I ran both.  After rebooting, I have no issues running backglass anymore!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Backglass, B2SBackglassServer, B2SBackglassServerRegisterAPp, VisualPinball