Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

• Flag: Italy

• Favorite Pinball: AC/DC

Posted 29 April 2024 - 07:59 AM

Hello 

I'm having a problem with Nudge in DOFlinx version 8.0; with the old version no problem on fx3, from 8 everything works except the nudge, even the nudgepoint responds, as the shaker comes into action, but there seems to be a problem with sending the relevant keys.

Is anyone else having the same problem, or did I miss something in the migration?
Thanks in advance

below is my configuration minimal:

####
# System generated DOFLinx.INI file at 09:45:58 domenica 28 aprile 2024
####

DEBUG=1

DIRECTOUTPUTCONFIG=C:\DirectOutput\config\directoutputconfig51.ini
DIRECTOUTPUTGLOBAL=
PATH_B2S_SERVER=C:\vPinball\VisualPinball\Tables\

#FX3
PATH_FX3=C:\DOFLINX\FX3_PUPlayer\
PATH_FX3_B2S=C:\DOFLINX\DOFLinx_FX3_B2S\

#FX
PATH_FX=C:\DOFLINX\FX\
PATH_FX_B2S=C:\DOFLINX\PinballFX B2S Files

PROCESSES=Pinball FX3,PinballFX-Win64-Shipping

#controls
JOY_PORT=1
JOY_X_OFFSET=32767
JOY_Y_OFFSET=32767

NUDGE_LEFT_POINT=-2500
NUDGE_RIGHT_POINT=2500
NUDGE_FORWARD_POINT=2000

NUDGE_LEFT_KEY=4C
NUDGE_RIGHT_KEY=52
NUDGE_FORWARD_KEY=20

#NUDGE_LEFT_INPUT=A2
#NUDGE_RIGHT_INPUT=A3

# Device and Ports for the shaker, Lauch Ball
LINK_SH=109,1000,5000,200
LINK_LB=134

# Device and Ports for the 10 solenoid setup for Flippers, Slingshots, Middle 3 solenoids, Back 3 Solenoids.

LINK_LF=111,50,10000,255
LINK_RF=110,50,10000,255
LINK_LS=101,50,1000,255
LINK_RS=108,50,1000,255
LINK_ML=104,50,1000,255
LINK_MC=102,50,1000,255
LINK_MR=107,50,1000,255
LINK_BL=103,50,1000,255
LINK_BC=105,50,1000,255
LINK_BR=106,50,1000,255

###############################

#2 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,102 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Monster Bash

Posted 29 April 2024 - 08:51 AM

Is your problem nudge for FX or FX3 in V8 ?  So is your FX3 nudge still working in V8, or are you trying to get nudge for FX up and running.

FYI - there were no changes to FX3 nudge for V8.  But if you've got an issue we'll find it!

DOFLinx
Contributions for equipment to help with ongoing DOFLinx development can be made here

#3 turillo00

turillo00

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 09:07 AM

Both FX and FX3 work great with 8.00 (and thank you so much for your work)
but both have the Nudge problem.
Unfortunately, I don't even know how to troubleshoot this specific problem, but then again, the nudge point is activated because the shaker works when I move the cabinet.

#4 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 09:34 AM

Both FX and FX3 work great with 8.00 (and thank you so much for your work)
but both have the Nudge problem.
Unfortunately, I don't even know how to troubleshoot this specific problem, but then again, the nudge point is activated because the shaker works when I move the cabinet.

I can't get to my cabinet just at the moment, but something to check.  Let's concentrate on FX3, because it should not have changed.  Nudge works by hitting the nudge point on the accelerometer then sending keys to the in focus application.  At the same time DOFLinx runs the actions as defined for a nudge event being the shaker.  So this means you are reaching your nudge point on the accelerometer and DOFLinx is being triggered because its running the nudge action (shaker).  What's not happening is the key stroke that DOFLinx is sending is not getting to FX3.  Back to basics;

- Are they nudge key strokes you have setup in your INI the same as the nudge keys setup in FX3 ?

For FX nudge from the accelerometer is not active.  FX works differently than FX3.  In FX3 DOFLinx took cabinet inputs and sent the correct nudge key to FX as another Windows application.  In FX the nudge event comes from PinballFX as an in game event, so sort of the other way around.  We should still be able to send in nudge keys, but that part of DOFLinx is not quite right.  Its replated to the plunger as well.  Check this again in V8.03 and ask me if its not working.

DOFLinx
Contributions for equipment to help with ongoing DOFLinx development can be made here

#5 turillo00

turillo00

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2024 - 09:10 AM

I double checked the key bindings in FX3 L- R- Space are correctly set,
I also tested nudge directly from the keyboard and everything goes as usual.

from the log, the keystokes are sent correctly:

-----
Nudge key On actions were initiated by the trigger 'NUDGELEFT'
01-May-24 10:43:12.383 - Nudge key ignored due to nudge wait timer
01-May-24 10:43:12.876 - Nudge up key stroke sent For key 4C
------

the only thing that doesn't work for me is the wait timer, which I honestly don't know how and if it's correct to set manually.

#6 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 01 May 2024 - 11:18 AM

I double checked the key bindings in FX3 L- R- Space are correctly set,
I also tested nudge directly from the keyboard and everything goes as usual.

from the log, the keystokes are sent correctly:

-----
Nudge key On actions were initiated by the trigger 'NUDGELEFT'
01-May-24 10:43:12.383 - Nudge key ignored due to nudge wait timer
01-May-24 10:43:12.876 - Nudge up key stroke sent For key 4C
------

the only thing that doesn't work for me is the wait timer, which I honestly don't know how and if it's correct to set manually.

Thanks for checking that.  I've looked into things at my end as well, the behaviour with FX3 has definitely changed, of course we haven't got FX running as yet.  I've made the send routine for keystrokes a bit more robust in 8.03, yet to test with FX3 and FX.  To makes things more complex at my end my accelerometer is playing up.  I will release what I've done in 8.03 (as I need to get the SSF fix out there) as it can't stop working more than it has already and 8.03 might improve the situation.

DOFLinx

#7 turillo00

turillo00

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 04:59 PM

tested 8.03 on FX3 but the behavior is the same, I also have the impression that the wait time is missing from the log, but that it is present and even increased.
I also quickly tried FX but nothing worked, I don't even have the nudge point feedback.
available for other tests, which perhaps have not occurred to me.

#8 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 03 May 2024 - 08:01 AM

tested 8.03 on FX3 but the behavior is the same, I also have the impression that the wait time is missing from the log, but that it is present and even increased.
I also quickly tried FX but nothing worked, I don't even have the nudge point feedback.
available for other tests, which perhaps have not occurred to me.

The wait time was a hang over from days long past, so send key down, wait, send key up.  When adding things to the keyboard queue there is no need for a delay in between keydown and keyup messages, so that bit is gone.  The bit I'm trying to figure out is why is the behaviour with FX3 and FX now different to other applications.  For example if you add Notepad to your PROCESSES= line, ensure you have NUDGE_CHECK_BASIC_KEYBOARD=1 , run DOFLinx, then start Notepad, you can nudge and see the keystrokes in Notepad.  So the "L" , "R".  This shows that DOFLinx is definitely sending the keystrokes.

I'm still thinking and will test more this weekend, but I really don't know where to go if DOFLinx is sending the keystrokes.

DOFLinx

#9 turillo00

turillo00

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 May 2024 - 05:11 PM

I can confirm that everything actually works as it should on the Notepad.
At this point I don't know what other tests to do, but I'm available for any other test you can think of.

#10 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 07 May 2024 - 06:40 AM

I can no longer get key strokes to FX3 but I don't believe the FX3.exe has changed since the last time we did this.  What is the last version that you think worked with FX3?

DOFLinx

#11 turillo00

turillo00

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 May 2024 - 03:48 PM

I just tried again with 7.46, as usual, the nudge works perfectly.
A note: only the 32 bit worked, while the 64bit doflinx didn't start, exactly the opposite of the versions from 8.0 onwards, I don't know if it can be useful

#12 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 11 May 2024 - 02:02 AM

I just tried again with 7.46, as usual, the nudge works perfectly.
A note: only the 32 bit worked, while the 64bit doflinx didn't start, exactly the opposite of the versions from 8.0 onwards, I don't know if it can be useful

Thank you.  I was wondering about 32 vs 64 but hadn't got to test yet.  Next test will be current version 32 bit test ....... if you're in a position to do it?

DOFLinx

#13 turillo00

turillo00

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 May 2024 - 06:09 PM

tested 8.04 with both 32 and 64 bits, nothing has changed for both fx.

a clarification: I'm using a clean installation of Doflinx, so in a separate folder from directoutput, I don't think anything changes, but I'll point out anything that might help.

#14 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 12 May 2024 - 10:17 PM

tested 8.04 with both 32 and 64 bits, nothing has changed for both fx.

a clarification: I'm using a clean installation of Doflinx, so in a separate folder from directoutput, I don't think anything changes, but I'll point out anything that might help.

Thanks.  I was working on this last night.  A couple of ideas to pursue, will hopefully reach out shortly for additional testing once I see movement on my cabinet.

DOFLinx

#15 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 13 May 2024 - 11:42 AM

I have some progress but not a solution as yet.  I believe that the root cause of the problem is that the windows dll call SendInput behaves differently for 64 bit applications.  It seems to be in the area where the structure that you parse to it is by reference.  In a 32 bit app the memory that is referenced is always in < 2Gb, but for 64 bit it can be anywhere.  So the 64 bit parsing to a 32 bit Windows dll.  There is likely a way to work through this but I haven't found one yet.

At present I'm working on taking the code from 7.46 placing it in a dedicated mini 32 bit app that DOFlinx will run and message to send the keys,  This ensure that each program will run in its own space but work cooperatively.  I have consistent sending of keys to Notepad and a command window using both 32 and 64 bit DOFLinx.  I need to now check if this will work with FX3 (where it was working) and see what happens with FX as the new one.

DOFLinx

#16 turillo00

turillo00

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 May 2024 - 01:01 PM

Great news, identifying the problem is a huge step forward, always available for testing,

#17 mdr05

mdr05

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: jacks open

Posted 13 May 2024 - 10:01 PM

I alslo (believe) I am experiencing the same issue. I have a fresh install to run everything in 64bit (popper, vpx, doflinx 8, etc etc). Nothing changed on my kl25z. Everything works and like the OP even the shaker motor activates when I use the buttons for nudging, but I can not get nudge nor my plunger working in FX3. In my previous setup (which I still have on a different hard drive that I can swap back into the computer) everything worked perfectly in FX3. I did not change anything on the KL, everything works great in DOF. 

#18 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 03:53 AM

I believe I've got the nudge in FX3 and FX running from the accelerometer in the Pinscape.  I found that I can't test the plunger as I've clearly got a fault on mine, so I'll wait to hear from others. I will include it all in today's release.  Sounds strange without geting it back to you to test, but I need to get a release out for the new FX tables and the nudge can't get more broken than it is now.

DOFLinx

#19 turillo00

turillo00

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 May 2024 - 06:14 PM

the Nudge works PERFECTLY on both FX3 and FX, great job DD69, thousands of players are grateful!

As far as the Plunger is concerned, it doesn't work for me, but to be honest, I've never been able to make it work even with 7.46
Below is my configuration, assuming that the joystick is on port 1 and the button is configured on ENTER, and therefore I still take advantage of your availability to understand the error.

#Plunger setup
PLUNGER_JOYSTICK_NUMBER=1
PLUNGER_AXIS=Z
PLUNGER_KEY=0D
PLUNGER_PULL_POINT=64000
PLUNGER_RELEASE_POINT=34000

#20 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,102 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:21 AM

the Nudge works PERFECTLY on both FX3 and FX, great job DD69, thousands of players are grateful!

As far as the Plunger is concerned, it doesn't work for me, but to be honest, I've never been able to make it work even with 7.46
Below is my configuration, assuming that the joystick is on port 1 and the button is configured on ENTER, and therefore I still take advantage of your availability to understand the error.

#Plunger setup
PLUNGER_JOYSTICK_NUMBER=1
PLUNGER_AXIS=Z
PLUNGER_KEY=0D
PLUNGER_PULL_POINT=64000
PLUNGER_RELEASE_POINT=34000

Thanks.  I will get back to this shortly.

DOFLinx