Photo
- - - - -

Best way to display messages on a display segment?

display segment messages

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mystman12

mystman12

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: White Water

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:39 PM

So, the last time I tried coding messages into my game, I had to queue text on both the top and bottom display, as well as the top and bottom HUD displays. (I have two displays, like on Whirlwind or Funhouse) This required me to double each message for both the real and HUD displays, as well as make sure both the top and bottom used the same times so that they stayed in sync. This just made it REALLY complicated to script, and I also had problems, where sometimes timing would be off and the top and bottom displays were out of sync, and whenever I earned more points the display reverted back to the score, even if the message wasn't finished yet. Here is what my code for the bonus looked like:

UpperDisplay.QueueText "MULTIPLIER", seScrollLeft, 5000

LowerDisplay.QueueText "2X", seBonusTrailIn, 1000
LowerDisplay.QueueText "4X", seBonusTrailIn, 1000
LowerDisplay.QueueText "6X", seBonusTrailIn, 1000
LowerDisplay.QueueText "8X", seBonusTrailIn, 2000
UpperDisplay.QueueText "Total Bonus", seScrollLeft, 3000
   LowerDisplay.QueueText FormatNumber (Bonus, 0, -1, 0, -1), seScrollLeft, 3000
   UpperDisplay.QueueText FormatNumber (nvScore1, 0, -1, 0, -1), seScrollLeft, 2000
   LowerDisplay.QueueText FormatNumber (Bonus, 0, -1, 0, -1), 2000
UpperDisplayHud.QueueText "MULTIPLIER", seScrollLeft, 5000
LowerDisplayHud.QueueText "2X", seBonusTrailIn, 1000
LowerDisplayHud.QueueText "4X", seBonusTrailIn, 1000
LowerDisplayHud.QueueText "6X", seBonusTrailIn, 1000
LowerDisplayHud.QueueText "8X", seBonusTrailIn, 2000
UpperDisplayHud.QueueText "Total Bonus", seScrollLeft, 3000
   LowerDisplayHud.QueueText FormatNumber (Bonus, 0, -1, 0, -1), seScrollLeft, 3000
   UpperDisplayHud.QueueText FormatNumber (nvScore1, 0, -1, 0, -1), seScrollLeft, 2000
   LowerDisplayHud.QueueText FormatNumber (Bonus, 0, -1, 0, -1), 2000

I was wondering if there were any easier methods, or some tips on how to do this better, like how to make the HUD display the exact same thing as the normal display without just having to code the exact same thing again just for the HUD.

"What is life anyway, when compared to the immortality of a high score?" - Soos, from Gravity Falls
tilt!tilt!tilt!3.gif
I'm working on a Future Pinball game, called Joe's Ultimate Bus Ride! Check out my blog if you want to know more!

#2 mystman12

mystman12

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: White Water

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:01 AM

Well, I've found a way to make the HUD display the same score as the normal display, by setting it's value to the same as the normal display, but it still doesn't show any queued text. I have made a few improvements to the display though. (For example, it now only shows the score when the queue is empty). Anyone know how to make both queue the same text in one command?

"What is life anyway, when compared to the immortality of a high score?" - Soos, from Gravity Falls
tilt!tilt!tilt!3.gif
I'm working on a Future Pinball game, called Joe's Ultimate Bus Ride! Check out my blog if you want to know more!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: display, segment, messages