4 replies to this topic

#1 arrutiku94

arrutiku94

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• Flag: Spain

• Favorite Pinball: Star Wars - Data East (1992)

Posted 27 October 2023 - 12:54 AM

So, I made a software that calls vpinmame and has buttons for emulating switch inputs and color changing elements to display the state of lights and coils. My plan is to use this as a test, and then based on this software, create another one that will send inputs to my computer and sent outputs to a scaled down version of a DataEast Star Wars (if I ever get over this little issue).

You can say that the software I developed is like pinmame32, but with labeled buttons you can individualy click to change the state for the corresponding switch in the matrix from 1 to 0 or viceversa. Problem is that even in pinmame32, when activating the corresponding switches for the flippers in the matrix, it just makes a very short pulse and does not stay on. What I need is for the flipper switches to act the same as the rest of switches.

Am I missing something? Maybe these are not really the flipper switches and the real flipper switches have another switch number that I can't seem to know?

Also, regarding some possible future tables that I could build in miniature, like for example a Creature From the Black Lagoon or a non data east table. Are the flipper switches in the matrix (can't see find them) or do they have some other swich number on vpinmame?

Thanks in advance, and I hope someone cant enlighten me up on this because I'm very new to this.

#2 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 27 October 2023 - 01:18 AM

I guess i would maybe look at vpx source and how it interfaces with vpinmame?

i mean technically you could use VPX itself

if you have an input controller that emulates keyboard

then you can script an otherwise empty table so that

if keycode = keynumber then controller.switch(xx)=1

output would be via DOF

i think in theory, DOF outputs are nearly limitless?

would work for a romless table too, you would just be doing script things on keycode rather than controller.switch

In VPM flipper switches map to a default mapping of SW 82 and 84
though there can be exceptions because some tables widely deviate from the controllers standard implementation.

If you look in a ROM table's script you will see a line near the top that says Load and gives a machine translation vbs file name

if you open that file, you will find the input mapping, including the flipper switches used as default for that machine type

I donot know why your switch inputs are onlu showing up as a pulse

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary

#3 arrutiku94

arrutiku94

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 October 2023 - 08:57 AM

I guess i would maybe look at vpx source and how it interfaces with vpinmame?

i mean technically you could use VPX itself

if you have an input controller that emulates keyboard
then you can script an otherwise empty table so that
if keycode = keynumber then controller.switch(xx)=1

output would be via DOF
i think in theory, DOF outputs are nearly limitless?

would work for a romless table too, you would just be doing script things on keycode rather than controller.switch

In VPM flipper switches map to a default mapping of SW 82 and 84
though there can be exceptions because some tables widely deviate from the controllers standard implementation.
If you look in a ROM table's script you will see a line near the top that says Load and gives a machine translation vbs file name
if you open that file, you will find the input mapping, including the flipper switches used as default for that machine type

I donot know why your switch inputs are onlu showing up as a pulse

That was it!! Foolish me, I was mistaking the switches on the switch matrix chart which are meant to be the end of stroke or lets say voltage control switches, with the proper cabinet flipper switches! That's why it gave a pulse, because there was really no flipper working as it should!

Aww man, you are a genius! Thanks for helping me out with this, it's the first time I've been using pinmame and scripting it. Guess we all have to learn from our mistakes, but I was getting frustrated.

You really made my day way better, thanks a lot buddy ❤️😊

#4 wiesshund

wiesshund

VPF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,798 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: How many can i have?

Posted 27 October 2023 - 09:21 AM

VPX does not use those of course

I dont think you need to worry about them in a real machine

As far as interfacing with VPM

Those you would just build into your flipper controllers

or use solid state flipper control boards

I dont think modern pins use EOS switches anymore?

it's all done on a transistorized board that varies the voltage and has a watchdog timer?

But of course you could build one that uses them, probably simpler to build?

If you want frustrating, LTD's haunted hotel uses 2 discrete circuits on the flippers and a software timer

no EOS
when you hit the flipper button the main coil of the solenoid energizes, and then it shuts off

In VPX that translates to flipper flops up and falls back down right away

the 2nd circuit kicks on just a millisecond before the main circuit does

that energizes the hold windings 

But you cant use those to move the flippers, as they are delayed.

So i wound up having to actually build a vbs version or a dual coiled solenoid.

And then, after it worked properly, the flipper latency was too much, and i had to do away with it as fastflips doesnt work on that ROM

so had to do EM style flips with a check for tilt or game over solenoids, which was want i didnt want to do to begin with.

If you feel the need to empty your wallet in my direction, i dont have any way to receive it anyways

If you really want to get rid of money you can donate to this

Athena's Wildlife Sanctuary

#5 arrutiku94

arrutiku94

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 October 2023 - 09:47 AM

VPX does not use those of course
I dont think you need to worry about them in a real machine

As far as interfacing with VPM

Those you would just build into your flipper controllers
or use solid state flipper control boards

I dont think modern pins use EOS switches anymore?
it's all done on a transistorized board that varies the voltage and has a watchdog timer?

But of course you could build one that uses them, probably simpler to build?

If you want frustrating, LTD's haunted hotel uses 2 discrete circuits on the flippers and a software timer
no EOS
when you hit the flipper button the main coil of the solenoid energizes, and then it shuts off
In VPX that translates to flipper flops up and falls back down right away

the 2nd circuit kicks on just a millisecond before the main circuit does
that energizes the hold windings 

But you cant use those to move the flippers, as they are delayed.

So i wound up having to actually build a vbs version or a dual coiled solenoid.

And then, after it worked properly, the flipper latency was too much, and i had to do away with it as fastflips doesnt work on that ROM
so had to do EM style flips with a check for tilt or game over solenoids, which was want i didnt want to do to begin with.

I'm really not worried about flipper boards since I will be making my own mechanisms. For the voltage control I was planing on making my own system which will be activated when the flipper solenoids are on in the corresponding pinmame coil matrix.

Then, with some arduino or any kind of controller y would program my system so it switches from high power for the initial kick to low power for holding the flipper up. To be fair I'm not sure if I really need a system like this since I'm going to build a scaled down version so it fits in my room without taking up much space.

Anyway I'll try to do it, I would rather spend more money on components to prevent a fire hazard than having to face the consequences of a fire.

Thanks again for your help, I couldn't have done it otherwise. Making my own working replica or clone of a pinball machine was a dream for me since I was a little kid.