Jump to content



Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Medieval Madness VP10 WIP


  • Please log in to reply
223 replies to this topic

#101 Ben Logan

Ben Logan

    Pinball Wizard

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts
  • Location:California

  • Flag: ---------

  • Favorite Pinball: System 11

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:59 PM

Nice tutorial on reflections impact on FPS, jimmyfingers. I didn't realize you have to disable in two places. Appreciate the tip!

#102 Dozer316

Dozer316

    Dozer

  • VIP
  • 669 posts

  • Flag: Australia

  • Favorite Pinball: Cirqus Voltaire

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:03 AM

Hey Dozer, just out of curiosity, why is the ball itself and the top of the flippers so bright.  I thought it was just a setting I had missed but I compared to your videos and it's the same.  I tried the light emission, range and height settings but doesn't change this affect.  Is there a way to soften these up?  Thanks. 

Hey there, the ball is actually set to JP's dark texture which I thought blended in well with the ambient emission from the rest of the table.

 

I am in my mid 40's as well and need to have a relatively bright ball to track while I play so it's a personal preference thing.

 

With the flipper brightness issue I guess what you are seeing is two lights positioned on the rotational axis of the flippers.  The intended effect of this is to simulate GI light bleeding from the bottom returns to the flippers.  You can delete these lights by selecting layer 8 in the editor and removing the two lights I have highlighted below.

 

7591483b9024302a6ea1eeef1b197a3b.jpg


 

Hey Dozer, just out of curiosity, why is the ball itself and the top of the flippers so bright.  I thought it was just a setting I had missed but I compared to your videos and it's the same.  I tried the light emission, range and height settings but doesn't change this affect.  Is there a way to soften these up?  Thanks. 

 

I'm all for choices and options. And - I must say that my early middle-aged eyes love that bright ball. Sometimes I have trouble following the ball on the darker tables. With Dozer's MM, I can follow the ball effectively even with the night / day slider dialed down toward the night end of the spectrum. 

 

I also love that VP10 has dynamic lighting on the ball -- e.g. the ball "lights up" when it passes certain light emitting playfield objects. Is this true on all VP10 tables, or is Dozer working some special magic here? 

 

Hi Ben, not me with regard to ball reflections, that feature is part of the VP10 engine.  You can choose when placing a light whether the light emitted from the object reflects off the ball. 



#103 sliderpoint

sliderpoint

    Pinball Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Location:Spokane, WA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Metallica

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:03 AM

 

Does anyone else get weird behavior from the inlanes? The ball sometimes speeds up significantly going either down or up.

 

Yeah I do, I tried a number of settings on the walls there but couldn't solve it - It appears that the ball gets into a super fast spin loop and when it hits a wall accelerates like a bullet.

 

I'm not sure if it's my ignorance in tuning the wall friction / elasticity etc. or whether it's a physics issue.

 

 

Yes.  I apologize to whoever mentioned this or I would credit them with this info. The larger the distance in your friction values on the objects interacting with the ball the crazier affect on the ball.   So your if your PF is .025 friction and your inlane walls are at 1, that is (for this purpose) a big difference.   They should be closer together like .025 and .225 (I didn't test that, just saying). The value difference needs to be much closer or it can start to behave strange.

 

-Mike

 

-Mike



#104 darkangel359

darkangel359

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Location:Louisiana, USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Cirqus Voltaire, STTNG, Medieval Madness, TOTAN, Star Trek (Stern)

Posted 11 November 2015 - 03:19 AM

 

Hey Dozer, just out of curiosity, why is the ball itself and the top of the flippers so bright.  I thought it was just a setting I had missed but I compared to your videos and it's the same.  I tried the light emission, range and height settings but doesn't change this affect.  Is there a way to soften these up?  Thanks. 

Hey there, the ball is actually set to JP's dark texture which I thought blended in well with the ambient emission from the rest of the table.

 

I am in my mid 40's as well and need to have a relatively bright ball to track while I play so it's a personal preference thing.

 

With the flipper brightness issue I guess what you are seeing is two lights positioned on the rotational axis of the flippers.  The intended effect of this is to simulate GI light bleeding from the bottom returns to the flippers.  You can delete these lights by selecting layer 8 in the editor and removing the two lights I have highlighted below.

 

7591483b9024302a6ea1eeef1b197a3b.jpg


 

Hey Dozer, just out of curiosity, why is the ball itself and the top of the flippers so bright.  I thought it was just a setting I had missed but I compared to your videos and it's the same.  I tried the light emission, range and height settings but doesn't change this affect.  Is there a way to soften these up?  Thanks. 

 

I'm all for choices and options. And - I must say that my early middle-aged eyes love that bright ball. Sometimes I have trouble following the ball on the darker tables. With Dozer's MM, I can follow the ball effectively even with the night / day slider dialed down toward the night end of the spectrum. 

 

I also love that VP10 has dynamic lighting on the ball -- e.g. the ball "lights up" when it passes certain light emitting playfield objects. Is this true on all VP10 tables, or is Dozer working some special magic here? 

 

Hi Ben, not me with regard to ball reflections, that feature is part of the VP10 engine.  You can choose when placing a light whether the light emitted from the object reflects off the ball. 

 

Thanks Dozer for the pointer, I learned something new and got it set exactly like I wanted it.  Just adjusted the Intensity from "12" to "6".  Check it out:

 

Medieval_Madness_VPX.jpg



#105 gigalula

gigalula

    Hummmm not sure yet :)

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 651 posts

  • Flag: Canada

  • Favorite Pinball: All of them from 70' to now. Even more with VP and FP :)

Posted 11 November 2015 - 03:48 AM

AT GIGALULA..

HAVE YOU TRIED INSTALLING NEW CODECS??

CHECK HERE...

http://www.codecguid...download_kl.htm

FOR ALL IN ONE CODECS, AND IT COMES BUNDLED WITH NICE CLASSIC MEDIA PLAYER.

ITS CALLED K-LITE CODEC PACK, AND INSTALLS EVERY CODEC NEEDED TO PLAY ALL VIDEO MEDIA.

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND OTHERS IF THIS WAS YOUR PROBLEM.

I'm already using the latest k-lite codec pack... all video play well from media player outside of IE10 ...My only problem so far is on VPFORUM otherwise on all other site that use old standard flash player video it's all fine....  :hmm:

 

Thanks for the help... I simply give up :whtflag: on that and copy the video link manually until I found better solution. :unsure:



#106 Dozer316

Dozer316

    Dozer

  • VIP
  • 669 posts

  • Flag: Australia

  • Favorite Pinball: Cirqus Voltaire

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:23 AM

Here is version 2 of MM

 

Implemented Zany's physics settings

Fixed Bumper Loop using these new settings (didn't get a loop testing but let me know if you do)

Reduced GI intensity on flippers so you can see the Williams Logo.

Changed lane guide wall friction to reduce the gap between PF friction and object friction as per sliderpoint's suggesion (thanks Mike)

 

No other changes.

 

https://mega.nz/#!XY...9fV69Ybth3ZRkms



#107 jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers

    Pinball Fan

  • VIP
  • 832 posts

  • Flag: Canada

  • Favorite Pinball: Comet



Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:05 AM

I need to make a correction for some of the information I provided earlier about the reflection enabling / disabling of playfield and the ball together and performance impacts.  It is still about a drop to 65-70% of FPS to turn them both on but, turning off playfield reflections and leaving the ball reflections on is not still just as "bad" as having them both on and get's you about halfway between having them both off or both on (around 85% FPS from neither on).  The original observations I had about the ball reflection being just as consuming on it's own as if both modes were on was witnessed a while ago and right around the time the ball reflection code was updated to work essentially the same as the playfield reflections.  So, it seems that more recent revisions have some different and optimized behavior - or I was just totally out to lunch to start with, but I swear I saw it in my multitude of testing activities, maybe I dreamt it :)  

 

I've quickly verified these revised general numbers / percentage changes above with the latest (non-released / personally compiled) rev2383.   

 

Yes.  I apologize to whoever mentioned this or I would credit them with this info. The larger the distance in your friction values on the objects interacting with the ball the crazier affect on the ball.   So your if your PF is .025 friction and your inlane walls are at 1, that is (for this purpose) a big difference.   They should be closer together like .025 and .225 (I didn't test that, just saying). The value difference needs to be much closer or it can start to behave strange.

 

 

 

 

-Mike

 

-Mike

 

 

Not sure if you got that from this post I made a while back where I was discussing the large discrepancy between flipper and in-lane friction objects causing the "grab and go" but similar aspects do apply when the PF friction is low, which typically is the case as most tables released have it quite lower than the original recommendations of .08-.1.  In any case, here's this post / link provides information that can help in general for this aspect around the in-lanes and other friction tuning pointers:

 

http://www.vpforums....=59#entry312652



#108 nFozzy

nFozzy

    Pinball Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

  • Flag: ---------

  • Favorite Pinball: Pinbot

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:30 AM

Something I noticed, the castle animation gets screwy if you hit the drawbridge right after destroying the castle



#109 Dozer316

Dozer316

    Dozer

  • VIP
  • 669 posts

  • Flag: Australia

  • Favorite Pinball: Cirqus Voltaire

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:34 AM

Something I noticed, the castle animation gets screwy if you hit the drawbridge right after destroying the castle

 

Ah I think I know what's causing that - When you say screwy, do you mean they start to rotate on their axis and look completely broken?



#110 nFozzy

nFozzy

    Pinball Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

  • Flag: ---------

  • Favorite Pinball: Pinbot

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:58 AM

It's not that bad, the castle destruction animation just cuts off or stops abruptly



#111 Dozer316

Dozer316

    Dozer

  • VIP
  • 669 posts

  • Flag: Australia

  • Favorite Pinball: Cirqus Voltaire

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:11 AM

It's not that bad, the castle destruction animation just cuts off or stops abruptly

 

Yeah ok, I'll release an update later with a fix - it's the castle slack timer zeroing the turrets and main tower during the animation sequence.

 

I'll just disable the slack animation while the castle destruction sequence is happening.



#112 Dozer316

Dozer316

    Dozer

  • VIP
  • 669 posts

  • Flag: Australia

  • Favorite Pinball: Cirqus Voltaire

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:25 AM

So there are only two lines in the script to change which should sort that animation issue.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Line 1300 

 

If Castle_Slack = 1 Then

 

Change to

 

If Castle_Slack = 1 AND Tower.enabled = FALSE Then

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Line 1311

 

If Castle_Slack = 1 Then

 

Change to

 

If Castle_Slack = 1 AND Tower.enabled = FALSE Then

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Let me know how this goes if you've noticed the abrupt return of the castle if it is hit during multiball.



#113 ClarkKent

ClarkKent

    Pinball Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

  • Flag: Austria

  • Favorite Pinball: Q*Bert's Quest, Red's and Ted's Road Show, Dialed In, Big Bang Bar

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:03 PM

It's somewhat funny - if I would have had requested a bigger ball there would have been a riot... ;) Nevertheless the bigger ball fits very well.

Just a suggestion: The ball lock door should slighly continue to swing after a ball passes it and should slowly stop to swing. It's like a regular gate. Look at the youtube video p7NX4PHJUxs at 1:45.

I'm using slightly modified FS settings otherwise the castle looks horizontally compressed. It almost seems to me that the z-size of the castle is still too low.
15,18,90,270,1.19,1.54,1,-31,0,400

Edited by ClarkKent, 11 November 2015 - 05:37 PM.


#114 sliderpoint

sliderpoint

    Pinball Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Location:Spokane, WA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Metallica

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:37 PM

Just a suggestion: The ball lock door should slighly continue to swing after a ball passes it and should slowly stop to swing. It's like a regular gate. Look at the youtube video p7NX4PHJUxs at 1:45.

 

 

 

Here is a quick change that I tried to get that effect.  Dropped a new gate (gate8) right in front of the prim.  Left it collidable and 2 way. made it not visible.  Set Elasticity to .6 and friction to .009. (your preferences may vary)

 

In the script I commented out the entire Sub LDTrigger_hit() and changed the Sub Ldoor_Timer() to only have one line that says: Lock_Door.RotX = Gate8.currentAngle

 

Then find the Ldoor timer object and enable it.

 

-Mike



#115 ClarkKent

ClarkKent

    Pinball Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

  • Flag: Austria

  • Favorite Pinball: Q*Bert's Quest, Red's and Ted's Road Show, Dialed In, Big Bang Bar

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:30 PM

I increased the z-size of the towers to 63 and the castle to 38 with my latest setting 10,21,77,270,1.19,1.56,1,-55,0,400.

And is it only here but the lower tower on the right is not shaking when the castle explodes.

Edited by ClarkKent, 11 November 2015 - 08:41 PM.


#116 Dozer316

Dozer316

    Dozer

  • VIP
  • 669 posts

  • Flag: Australia

  • Favorite Pinball: Cirqus Voltaire

Posted 12 November 2015 - 02:58 AM

 

Just a suggestion: The ball lock door should slighly continue to swing after a ball passes it and should slowly stop to swing. It's like a regular gate. Look at the youtube video p7NX4PHJUxs at 1:45.

 

 

 

Here is a quick change that I tried to get that effect.  Dropped a new gate (gate8) right in front of the prim.  Left it collidable and 2 way. made it not visible.  Set Elasticity to .6 and friction to .009. (your preferences may vary)

 

In the script I commented out the entire Sub LDTrigger_hit() and changed the Sub Ldoor_Timer() to only have one line that says: Lock_Door.RotX = Gate8.currentAngle

 

Then find the Ldoor timer object and enable it.

 

-Mike

 

 

Nice idea Mike, do you mind if I pinch this and include it in an update for users who are not familiar with the editor?



#117 sliderpoint

sliderpoint

    Pinball Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Location:Spokane, WA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Metallica

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:06 AM

It's 100% free, plus shipping and handling.

 

-Mike



#118 Dozer316

Dozer316

    Dozer

  • VIP
  • 669 posts

  • Flag: Australia

  • Favorite Pinball: Cirqus Voltaire

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:04 AM

Here is MM release V3 - 

 

Fixed the tower abrupt return during multiball if the castle is hit. (disregard script I posted above, use this new version instead.)

 

Added Mike's 100% free (plus shipping and handling) gate2prim ™ mod.

 

This will hopefully be the last version for a while.

 

https://mega.nz/#!aU...J7Wcc3yNH15CzoE



#119 toxie

toxie

    VPF Veteran

  • VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,745 posts
  • Location:berlin, germany

  • Flag: Germany

  • Favorite Pinball: AFM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:06 AM

Thanks! Just some tiny details for Desktop usage:

 

Line 137: .Hidden = DesktopMode

 

and

 

Line 26: Const Color_Ambient = 0

 

EDIT:

 

oh, and please keep the ball trail at -1, so that the default user selection can be triggered.
 


Edited by toxie, 12 November 2015 - 09:08 AM.


#120 ClarkKent

ClarkKent

    Pinball Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

  • Flag: Austria

  • Favorite Pinball: Q*Bert's Quest, Red's and Ted's Road Show, Dialed In, Big Bang Bar

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:18 PM

The lower right tower still does not shake when destroying the castle.