Jump to content



Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Medieval Madness VP10 WIP


  • Please log in to reply
223 replies to this topic

#61 bolt

bolt

    VPF Veteran

  • VIP
  • 5,172 posts
  • Location:Kiel / Schleswig Holstein

  • Flag: Germany

  • Favorite Pinball: JP's Deadpool, Harlem Globetrotters, Spiderman and much more

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:27 PM

Thank you very much Dozer.


Posted Image

#62 Dozer316

Dozer316

    Dozer

  • VIP
  • 669 posts

  • Flag: Australia

  • Favorite Pinball: Cirqus Voltaire

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:34 PM

Thank you very much Dozer.

You're welcome Bolt.



#63 JAA3rd

JAA3rd

    Hobbyist

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Location:Tennessee

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: STTNG

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:38 PM

Woohoo!  Thanks Dozer, can't wait to try it later tonight.  If this is half as fun as your CV, we're in for a treat.

 

Thanks Again!


jaa3rd___pinball.png


#64 zany

zany

    3D Beer Drinker

  • VIP
  • 1,644 posts

  • Flag: Sweden

  • Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness



Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:50 PM

I did som minor changes....i changed the min/max slope to 5, and playfield friction to 0,009, and now it feels more like the real thing!
Else for that....AMAZING! :D



#65 vampirolatino2

vampirolatino2

    Pinball Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

  • Flag: Spain

  • Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:24 PM

Woot! Excitment... downloading, will try it asap. Thanks once again for another entry in VPX beta. THANKS!! :bar3:


Thanks zany!



#66 Trinity

Trinity

    Enthusiast

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 226 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Star Trek Limited Edition (Stern), AFM, Xenon, T-2

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:27 PM

Where do we set the playfield friction again?



#67 zany

zany

    3D Beer Drinker

  • VIP
  • 1,644 posts

  • Flag: Sweden

  • Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness



Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:47 PM

Backdrop then Physics & Graphics



#68 shadowshd

shadowshd

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Location:Le Bouscat

  • Flag: France

  • Favorite Pinball: Cirqus Voltaire; Medieval Madness

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:09 PM

Many many thanks Mister Dozer, you're a great man  :love39:  :otvclap:

 

++



#69 TedB

TedB

    Pinball Fan

  • Charter Member
  • 715 posts

  • Flag: Netherlands

  • Favorite Pinball: those with non virtual steel balls

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:39 PM

Will be interesting to see the kind of specs you need for demanding tables like this (assuming this is a demanding table..).

 

Unplayable on my cab: Asrock n68-s3 with Athlon x2-250 - 4gb ram - XP - GTX 550 Ti 1024MB

I am planning on testing VPX on W7 with latest driver and also upgrade ram to 8gb.

 

Game looks great! :)



#70 bolt

bolt

    VPF Veteran

  • VIP
  • 5,172 posts
  • Location:Kiel / Schleswig Holstein

  • Flag: Germany

  • Favorite Pinball: JP's Deadpool, Harlem Globetrotters, Spiderman and much more

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:52 PM

Wow Dozer, your table is a dream. Everything looks fantastic. The trolls and the Dragon are so real.

 

Only the Flasher are not correct on the Desktop view.

 

Back to your new MASTERPIECE. :love39:


Edited by bolt, 09 November 2015 - 07:03 PM.

Posted Image

#71 Kaan

Kaan

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

  • Flag: Turkey

  • Favorite Pinball: medieval madness

Posted 09 November 2015 - 08:44 PM

The performance is not too bad with my really old pc, I can squeeze some fps with some compromises easily. But the table generally doesn't look good for desktop view unfortunately. Like flasher reflections on walls and other lights. What I mean is some tricks doesn't seem to translate well. As the table looks great on cabinet view otherwise. :)

 

Don't get me wrong, I love your work but like you said this table isn't really for desktop view.

 

 

Edit: Very fun to play, and I got myself a smooth 60 fps after disabling some transparent materials. :P


Edited by Kaan, 09 November 2015 - 09:07 PM.


#72 Dozer316

Dozer316

    Dozer

  • VIP
  • 669 posts

  • Flag: Australia

  • Favorite Pinball: Cirqus Voltaire

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:50 AM

Yeah sorry desktop people, I know it looks a bit crap in that view.

 

I was thinking last night it would be great if the light object had a RotX and RotY system like flashers. Then you could just adjust the light orientation depending on which view you were in.

 

I have another idea for lights that I'll try today which is kind of a fake volumetric orb consisting of layers of light objects in a sphere which I'm hoping would look good in desktop or cabinet view.



#73 ScottyVH

ScottyVH

    Novice player, but love the game!

  • Silver Supporter
  • 443 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, Cirqus Voltaire, Simpson's Pinball Party

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:54 AM

I have another idea for lights that I'll try today which is kind of a fake volumetric orb consisting of layers of light objects in a sphere which I'm hoping would look good in desktop or cabinet view.

A fake volumetric orb consisting of layers of light objects in a sphere is exactly what I was thinking! Lol. I'm glad there are people as smart and talented as this community so that I can enjoy pinball at home!

Edited by ScottyVH, 10 November 2015 - 02:55 AM.

test5.gif


#74 jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers

    Pinball Fan

  • VIP
  • 832 posts

  • Flag: Canada

  • Favorite Pinball: Comet



Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:08 AM

Yeah sorry desktop people, I know it looks a bit crap in that view.

 

I was thinking last night it would be great if the light object had a RotX and RotY system like flashers. Then you could just adjust the light orientation depending on which view you were in.

 

I have another idea for lights that I'll try today which is kind of a fake volumetric orb consisting of layers of light objects in a sphere which I'm hoping would look good in desktop or cabinet view.

Cool idea but it will likely be a heavy performance eater assuming you'd likely have many layers for this effect and a light of a moderate size does use a few FPS so each orb may be like the equivalent of 10 or 20 times a single light's performance requirements depending on how many slices you were thinking of minus the diminishing radius aspect.  

 

Still curious as to the effect though independent of the performance aspect.



#75 Dozer316

Dozer316

    Dozer

  • VIP
  • 669 posts

  • Flag: Australia

  • Favorite Pinball: Cirqus Voltaire

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:16 AM

It actually looks quite good with only 5 layers.

 

Starting at 100 points high with a new layer each 20 points this is the effect it gives.

 

I'll try it in Medieval Madness shortly and see if it hurts performance.

 

Desktop and cabinet view.  I thought it would require more layers so I'm pretty happy that it looks ok with only 5.

 

93b2b44e8c2019ad30b621fd2691f88c.png


Edited by Dozer316, 10 November 2015 - 03:18 AM.


#76 vampirolatino2

vampirolatino2

    Pinball Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

  • Flag: Spain

  • Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:47 AM

I had everything running at 4K resolution, obviously it makes the max FPS from min 26 to max 40 something in VPX. Including AO, AA and AF enabled because I hate jaggies.

 

My slow old eyes don't see any stuttering or slowdowns. No flipper problems. Etc.

 

When I first launch (first ball) of MM there where stuttering like you said, but after that or later launches, it plays ok, like the others.


Thanks for making all these nice adjustments and recreations Dozer!



#77 Dozer316

Dozer316

    Dozer

  • VIP
  • 669 posts

  • Flag: Australia

  • Favorite Pinball: Cirqus Voltaire

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:55 AM

I think this might work out ok - I'll try some real world examples and monitor frame rate but so far I don't mind the basic effect.

 



#78 robertms

robertms

    Control Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Location:Chicago, IL

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Steve Ritchie designs

Posted 10 November 2015 - 04:10 AM

Dozer, pretty, pretty, pretty... pretty good! Seriously, brilliant. The lights, reflections, trolls, turrets, bridges, motes, ramps, metal bits, it all works just brilliant! Dozer, Zany and all involved a BIG and sincere thank you for making this hobby such a blast!


Behold Godzilla! Check out my monster pincab project here: http://www.vpforums....topic=32236&hl=


#79 jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers

    Pinball Fan

  • VIP
  • 832 posts

  • Flag: Canada

  • Favorite Pinball: Comet



Posted 10 November 2015 - 04:34 AM

It actually looks quite good with only 5 layers.

 

Starting at 100 points high with a new layer each 20 points this is the effect it gives.

 

I'll try it in Medieval Madness shortly and see if it hurts performance.

 

Desktop and cabinet view.  I thought it would require more layers so I'm pretty happy that it looks ok with only 5.

 

93b2b44e8c2019ad30b621fd2691f88c.png

That actually looks very cool and surprisingly sufficient for only 5 "layers".  Still curious as to performance as that general size in the example is pretty low on the FPS / performance demands.  Like a lot of those light insert flash auxillary effect halo effect type flasher sizes actually never took too much out because they were all between about 50-100 units.  Seems you're only at about 100 units right now and curious as to the change with more flasher halo sized type effect (like 300-400 units).  

 

In any case, nice idea / work and with just 5 slices to get that look and the look it actually got, this definitely has potential.



#80 Trinity

Trinity

    Enthusiast

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 226 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Star Trek Limited Edition (Stern), AFM, Xenon, T-2

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:27 AM

Backdrop then Physics & Graphics

Thank you