Jump to content



Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

VP cabinet or a real pinball?


  • Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

Poll: Computer Cabinet or Real Pinball (923 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you rather have if money were no object?

  1. VP-only cabinet (127 votes [12.64%])

    Percentage of vote: 12.64%

  2. FP-only cabinet (15 votes [1.49%])

    Percentage of vote: 1.49%

  3. VP & FP cabinet (246 votes [24.48%])

    Percentage of vote: 24.48%

  4. Real pinball machine (617 votes [61.39%])

    Percentage of vote: 61.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman

    Pinball Wizard

  • VIP
  • 3,242 posts

  • Flag: ---------

  • Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness / Champion Pub



Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:31 AM

Michael2 .. I totally agree on your statements earlier .. once caught by the 'Pinball Virus' you can not be cured so easily! wink.gif

Would you mind to post some pics in the Cabinet Section of this Forum of your Cabinet setup/building process?
Also share with us the experience with the NanoTech Kit you're using?

Thanks Michael2 ..

Cheers,
FD.

'Flying Dutchman'

In need for a Backglass or 'Active Backglass / UVP' please 'click' on below and visit the complete revised website at:
Posted Image

#42 Greywolf

Greywolf

    Perfectionist Bastard

  • VIP
  • 416 posts
  • Location:West Hyperspace, CA

  • Flag: ---------

  • Favorite Pinball: Too many to mention



Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:19 PM

As an owner of 3 games, if money were no object, I would be factoring in the required funds to get permits and building materials to expand my current game space.

Also, I'd be more drawn to have EM games since I can (usually) fix them and not be too worried about switch matrices, diodes, chips, boards, etc. I like the feel and sound of them better anyway.

Plus, I have a pinball wizard controller, a good computer and two monitors, so if I want the virtual experience, there it is.

I like to play, but as a coder, I find that the tables I like to play are played out by the time they're finished, at which point I take greater delight in giving those tables to the appreciators of the authentic to enjoy.

So if money is no object? Real games. I'd like to open the "South Wing" of the Pacific Pinball Museum some day.

Hi, Rob(046)! I think the reason that the older games held/hold so much more appeal is that they are truly machines, and not computer interfaces to a physical entity. I remember when I was young (and Solid State had not yet come to fruition in terms of pinball machines, we're talking around 1973). My Dad took me to the various "penny arcades" (which had since graduated typically to either dimes or quarters, even back then), and I just MARVELED over the whirr-click-clunk of the pitch-and-bat games (LOVED those!), and the pinball machines, and the mechanical Gun games (with black light), driving games (ditto), etc. They sounded like they were actually DOING something.

Just my ante,


#43 ClickerSnapper

ClickerSnapper

    ClickerSnapper

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 321 posts
  • Location:Oklahoma

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: NA

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:29 PM

IMO

There is nothing like real electromechanical interaction.

And I always did like the manufacturing enviroment. ( all the cool jobs and human interaction )

But in reality ( due to demand on power and Manufacturing/repair and up keep ) they will have to change.

I feel privleged to have played a real PB. But I'm sure that when and IF the industry relives

a global debu of modern PB replacements it will surely succeed! ( just do it). The technology is here.

and so are the youger ones who would love to go play!
Video Links:
Posted videos (WIP/Helps) of what I have learned/done so far with the help from
FP/VP forum members and want to share with the group.
You Tube Help Videos

Regards,
Clicker
[email protected]

#44 chriz

chriz

    Enthusiast

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 451 posts

  • Flag: ---------

  • Favorite Pinball: Funhouse

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:50 PM

In my opinion you need virtual AND real machines for the perfect gameroom. I think I can't live without my virtual pinball anymore biggrin.gif



cheers
chris

Edited by chriz, 04 February 2010 - 07:51 PM.

cheers
Chris
 

 


#45 Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman

    Pinball Wizard

  • VIP
  • 3,242 posts

  • Flag: ---------

  • Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness / Champion Pub



Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:47 PM

Amen Chris! wink.gif

Cheers,
FD.

'Flying Dutchman'

In need for a Backglass or 'Active Backglass / UVP' please 'click' on below and visit the complete revised website at:
Posted Image

#46 boardmaker2

boardmaker2

    Hobbyist

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Location:Denmark

  • Flag: Denmark

  • Favorite Pinball: Gorgar, Firepower, Attack from mars

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:36 AM

QUOTE (destruk @ Mar 9 2009, 06:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think people are spending more on a cabinet than a real machine. Lately, newer pinball games are about $4000 each.



Back in 1998 I bought my Gorgar pinball machine for $93 dollars!

Today a used Gorgar in my country is around $372 dollars.

Sadly mine don't work nowadays, that's why Im converting it into a VPM/FP/other cabinet,
just to get some kind of pinball action back into my life! (with UncleWilly's VP9 Gorgar!!)

I got the pin "bug" for life, but I prefer the many tables in one cab., than buying another used Gorgar...

Edited by boardmaker2, 05 February 2010 - 06:39 AM.


#47 ClickerSnapper

ClickerSnapper

    ClickerSnapper

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 321 posts
  • Location:Oklahoma

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: NA

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:49 PM

in other words
a real girlfriend or a cherry 2000?
rofl.gif
Video Links:
Posted videos (WIP/Helps) of what I have learned/done so far with the help from
FP/VP forum members and want to share with the group.
You Tube Help Videos

Regards,
Clicker
[email protected]

#48 kungfusteve

kungfusteve

    Hobbyist

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Indiana Jones (Williams)

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:05 AM

Studmuff = David Foley. AKA - The filthy Rotten SNAKE.

Nobody who Owns pins wants to trade them for a Crappy Virtual Table.
I own 3 Pins, and would NEVER trade them for a 2000 pin simulation.

There is no comparison to how a real pin:

1) Looks (Flat & poorly rendered tables look like BUTT compared to real tables. "Flashers" will Never
be bright as needed with typical PC displays)

2) Reacts (Physics is Way off on all these Simulations, & game does not play correctly)

3) Feels (No Thump of coils firing. Simulated 'shake' is poor at best & produced crapily w/ high failure rate parts)


In Person.


Beware:
As far as Ive heard, D.Foley has been selling high failure rate pinball sensors & plungers. There
have already been complaints, and David will not issue new parts or refunds.

In addition, He is currently in a lawsuit because he Stole technology from his previous company,
and was illegally selling this technology to other people for his own personal gains.

ALSO, Its my belief that Mr Foly is getting people from poor nations to do immense programming
and virtual table creation... WITHOUT PAYING THEM! He is Luring them on with the promise of
payment from Virtual Pinball Competitions in the Future.

A Future I can Assure you Will NEVER happen. SO, these poor guys will have wasted hundreds
of thousands of man hours, getting nothing in return but a stick up their butts. All the while,
they could have been getting real Paying jobs and supporting their families properly.

Virtual Pinball Competitions will Not work, because anyone could hack into the system and
create a way to Cheat. Its probably also highly illegal to make a comp for cash like this online.
And, would you Really want to trust your cash and credit card info with a Known CROOK?!!!

Davids got a multimillion dollar house to support ya know... so heck, if you want to fund this
PIG, then do so knowing full well what you are supporting.



#49 Bloodyhellfire

Bloodyhellfire

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Location:Warwickshire, England

  • Flag: England

  • Favorite Pinball: Addams family

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:58 PM

My mate is the luckiest barstard on the face of the lanet. A waehouse full of all the calssic old pinballs fruit machines and video games from the early 80's onwards was due for demolition in order for a housing estate by barret homes in Coventry less than a year ago. I went in and saw my secound favourite pinball machine ever in mint condition theatre of magic. i offered him £1000 pound for it and he turned me down. One week later a so called m8 of mine went in and looked around. He happened to mention that he was a Sky tv Fitter and the bloke said fit me out at my new house and you can have a nachine of your choice. So he says what about theatre of magic, so he plugs it in to test it. it don't work properly so he agree's. Materials wise wise it costs my m8 around £100 to fit sky and then all he needs is a new main board for the pinball. Bingo a minimum of £2000's worth of machine in that condition for about £350. Tosser lol shok.gif

#50 transfan

transfan

    Hobbyist

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Rocky & Bullwinkle

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:41 PM

I would rather have a FP/VP cab than a BAD pinball machine. That being said, I would much rather have both, or maybe 2/3 real good pins and 1 vp/fp cab.



#51 Dazz

Dazz

    Pinball Fan

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • Location:Keller, Texas

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone and Cyclone

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:17 AM

"if money were no object"

I'm assuming, if that were the case, then space wouldn't be an object either... Nothing beats real pinball machines if money/space were no object, so naturally I had to pick "real pinballs".

If space were a concern, like it is now, then definitely a VP & FP table like I have now. However, I've pretty much all but installed Future Pinball from my cabinet. After playing VP tables, I can't stand playing FP tables anymore. Even with the great original tables that FP has, I really can't stand playing anymore due to physics.

If/when SlamIT comes around then SlamIT will be added right alongside of VP.
Posted Image

#52 studmuff

studmuff

    Pinball Fan

  • Charter Member
  • 768 posts
  • Location:Wisconsin

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Tron, ACDC, LOTR

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:00 AM

QUOTE (kungfusteve @ Feb 14 2010, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Studmuff = David Foley. AKA - The filthy Rotten SNAKE.

Nobody who Owns pins wants to trade them for a Crappy Virtual Table.
I own 3 Pins, and would NEVER trade them for a 2000 pin simulation.

There is no comparison to how a real pin:

1) Looks (Flat & poorly rendered tables look like BUTT compared to real tables. "Flashers" will Never
be bright as needed with typical PC displays)

2) Reacts (Physics is Way off on all these Simulations, & game does not play correctly)

3) Feels (No Thump of coils firing. Simulated 'shake' is poor at best & produced crapily w/ high failure rate parts)


In Person.


Beware:
As far as Ive heard, D.Foley has been selling high failure rate pinball sensors & plungers. There
have already been complaints, and David will not issue new parts or refunds.

In addition, He is currently in a lawsuit because he Stole technology from his previous company,
and was illegally selling this technology to other people for his own personal gains.

ALSO, Its my belief that Mr Foly is getting people from poor nations to do immense programming
and virtual table creation... WITHOUT PAYING THEM! He is Luring them on with the promise of
payment from Virtual Pinball Competitions in the Future.

A Future I can Assure you Will NEVER happen. SO, these poor guys will have wasted hundreds
of thousands of man hours, getting nothing in return but a stick up their butts. All the while,
they could have been getting real Paying jobs and supporting their families properly.

Virtual Pinball Competitions will Not work, because anyone could hack into the system and
create a way to Cheat. Its probably also highly illegal to make a comp for cash like this online.
And, would you Really want to trust your cash and credit card info with a Known CROOK?!!!

Davids got a multimillion dollar house to support ya know... so heck, if you want to fund this
PIG, then do so knowing full well what you are supporting.

Not quite sure how I missed this one. smile.gif

First of all I'm not David Foley. I don't appreciate the connection either. Given that you have only posted twice I would have to say you have have never even tried the VP cabinet style let alone VP. Anyways if I was David, I think I would own an Ultrapin Dumbass!

Second, your right I would not trade my pins for a VP/FP cab. I would rather have the real thing. At the time I wrote that I was excited about VP 16-9 and had a lot of pins to work on repair. I now own 11 pins and my VP/Fp cab. I still love VP but there is no sub for the real thing. However, I do like the fact I can play almost any pinball machine on my cab and they play great. Honestly I have been playing more VP on my laptop then on my cab. I love UWs Monster Bash and JPs Sacred Stiff among many others.

For those who are thinking of making a cabinet, I say go for it. There fun to make and play.

If your going to buy a real pin, go for it. Do some research. They need occasional maintenance, mechanics fixed, electronics fixed, etc. They are fun as hell. If I never played VP, I would have never bought my first pin.



#53 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

    'Rasslin' Fan

  • VPF Administrator
  • 12,282 posts
  • Location:South Lyon, MI

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Whitewater

  • PS3 Gamer Tag: noahfentz


Contributor

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:51 AM

QUOTE (kungfusteve @ Feb 15 2010, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Virtual Pinball Competitions will Not work, because anyone could hack into the system and
create a way to Cheat. Its probably also highly illegal to make a comp for cash like this online.
And, would you Really want to trust your cash and credit card info with a Known CROOK?!!!


Hey, kungfusteve,

If you ever come back to read this...

We have been working diligently to secure our tournament frontend, but thanks for caring. We will do everything in our power to make it foolproof. (I guess this excludes you). tongue3.gif

David Foley is not on our staff, never has been on our staff, and never will be. Please do your homework before posting accusations toward our site.

Lastly, I feel for you. If this is how you spent your Valentine's Day, I see now why you're so angry and quick to point fingers. I certainly hope things get better for you.

-Noah

IdleReel.gif RumbleDMD.jpg HS2-DMD.jpg SBM.jpg ww_logo.jpg EK.jpg

 
T2.jpg Sorcerer.jpg Breakshot.jpg Firepower.jpg GorGar.jpg StarTrek.jpg


My Photobucket Resources
Whether You Believe You Can, Or You Can't, You Are Right." - Henry Ford
The future of pinball lives, it just needs to be nurtured!
If you're here to stab me in the back, you're going to have to get in line.


#54 Shockman

Shockman

    Pinball Fan

  • VIP
  • 1,717 posts
  • Location:Portland Or.

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Star Trek

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:53 AM

If money was no object, such choices would be no object. You could have it all, and a place to put all of it.

If the gist was a Virtual cabinet, or a single real machine. I would prefer a Virtual cabinet, but I would pester the devs to fix the damn flippers no end.

I get as bored with same real table just as much as I do a virtual one.

The concept of a virtual machine is appealing. The perspective of the render at this point, to me, is not.



#55 Dazz

Dazz

    Pinball Fan

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • Location:Keller, Texas

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone and Cyclone

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:32 AM

QUOTE (Noah Fentz @ Jul 18 2010, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
tournament frontend...
Ummm, what is this tournament frontend? This is the first I've ever heard of that...

Wouldn't be possible to do a tournament compile of VP since it's open source now? Would it be possible to compile VP/VPM with a "tournament edition" that would be hard locked to specific roms as well as pre-selected options?

I'd love to have a version of VP/VPM specifically designed for tournament play, but I wouldn't want to have to use another frontend other than HyperPin. I have the WolfMAME version of MAME incorporated into my MAMEcab for specific games. I'd love to do the same with VP.

Edited by Dazz, 20 July 2010 - 01:36 AM.

Posted Image

#56 JetfireMike

JetfireMike

    Neophyte

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Location:Seattle, WA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Iron Man

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:25 AM

As awesome as the emulation has gotten, there's nothing like a real pinball.

With that said, if I could still have a real pinball, I'd also love to get a virtual pinball cab.

Mike

Edited by JetfireMike, 30 July 2010 - 07:27 AM.

http://pinball.sweetser.info - my pinball gallery, featuring Iron Man!

#57 DedRok_V

DedRok_V

    Crazed Pinball Wizard (Australia's Former #1)

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 2,238 posts
  • Location:Newcastle, Australia

  • Flag: Australia

  • Favorite Pinball: Avengers Blue LE : Judge Dredd : Cosmic Princess

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:33 AM

If Money is no object, then a warehouse full of real pins.

Doesnt mean that they wont sit there collecting dust while playing around with VP cab set ups.

Have already scaled down to 20 real pins, and in the process of making a 2 screen 46" set up.

A few more might have to go.




Blueprint game : up to date list http://www.vpforums....s...st&p=147107

#58 Itchigo

Itchigo

    Pinball Wizard

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts
  • Location:Chicago, Illinois

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: All




  • Trophies:

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:17 PM

I've said it before, I'll say it again, "All I need now is my all Rush mix tape and a 2 ltr bottle of shasta. Monitor $40, hardware $15, buttons $22, leaf switches $15, Alienware gamepad $12, being able to have 250 pinball machines in your house without your wife bitching at you, Priceless!!"

Attached Files

  • Attached File  n.bmp   297.05KB   20 downloads

Founder of Rogue Pinball! https://roguepinball.com/index.php                 Making Pinball great again!!

 

partylikeits1776-.jpg


#59 Liverslapper

Liverslapper

    Hobbyist

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Location:Riverton, Wyoming

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, Theater of Magic

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:51 AM

I have to go with a real solid state pinball machine. Yes there might be some down time fixing and keeping it maintained, but its worth it. There is just something more unique about the real thing compared to a emulated one. I compare it to listening to a vinyl record and a CD. The quality would be obviously superior with the CD but there is something rewarding and truely unique about listening to a record that gives you a different experience. I love it.

#60 DedRok_V

DedRok_V

    Crazed Pinball Wizard (Australia's Former #1)

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 2,238 posts
  • Location:Newcastle, Australia

  • Flag: Australia

  • Favorite Pinball: Avengers Blue LE : Judge Dredd : Cosmic Princess

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:26 AM

QUOTE (Liverslapper @ Jan 18 2011, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have to go with a real solid state pinball machine. Yes there might be some down time fixing and keeping it maintained, but its worth it. There is just something more unique about the real thing compared to a emulated one. I compare it to listening to a vinyl record and a CD. The quality would be obviously superior with the CD but there is something rewarding and truely unique about listening to a record that gives you a different experience. I love it.


Like cd and vinyl, its good to have both.
Even one of each.




Blueprint game : up to date list http://www.vpforums....s...st&p=147107