Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

Two of the same pinballs from Stern....


  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Poll: Stern racing pinball (658 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you like better?

  1. Nascar (212 votes [32.22%])

    Percentage of vote: 32.22%

  2. Grand Prix (191 votes [29.03%])

    Percentage of vote: 29.03%

  3. I don't know or don't care (255 votes [38.75%])

    Percentage of vote: 38.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Joe

Joe

    Pinball Wizard

  • VIP
  • 2,379 posts
  • Location:60016

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: New Stern ones

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE (TheMcD @ Aug 15 2009, 07:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The correct Aaron Spelling ROM is only in the one machine that exists. Apparently, a dump was attempted, but it was bad and not useable. Dunno if someone could ever get a hold of the table, let alone pull off a dump.

The McD

I played a real one and the dmd roms did not seem to be working 100%

Edited by Joe, 15 August 2009 - 06:06 PM.


#22 VonStrogganoff

VonStrogganoff

    Neophyte

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Location:Burlington, New Jersey

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: High Speed

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:39 AM

QUOTE (Ilovearcades93 @ Apr 19 2009, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you ever noticed that Grand Prix is exactly the same as Nascar?

The only major difference is use of the Nascar trademarks.

I know there were other examples such as Data East's "Aaorn Spelling" (which VPinMAME cannot find the ROM to emulate).


I wonder why they did such a thing where two "twin" pinballs are seperated at birth.....


And why is that?
SURPRISE, TENDERFOOT.

#23 Joe

Joe

    Pinball Wizard

  • VIP
  • 2,379 posts
  • Location:60016

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: New Stern ones

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:55 AM

QUOTE (VonStrogganoff @ Aug 16 2009, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Ilovearcades93 @ Apr 19 2009, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you ever noticed that Grand Prix is exactly the same as Nascar?

The only major difference is use of the Nascar trademarks.

I know there were other examples such as Data East's "Aaorn Spelling" (which VPinMAME cannot find the ROM to emulate).


I wonder why they did such a thing where two "twin" pinballs are seperated at birth.....


And why is that?

we are missing a rom

#24 Dark Cypher

Dark Cypher

    Hobbyist

  • Charter Member
  • 18 posts
  • Location:Canberra, Australia

  • Flag: Australia

  • Favorite Pinball: Funhouse

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:10 AM

I like any form of racing so I'm ok with both and putting it into a pinball table is a bonus.

However don't be so down on NASCAR, say what you will about the people that watch it but when you think of the physics of the sport:

  • A car at 280mph gets down force that keeps it on track
  • getting close to another car around a banked corner means loss of front down force which pushes the car to the wall
  • only way to overtake a car is to get close
  • sitting behind another car causes the car to run hot
  • more cars in a line can bump draft a car faster than on car by itself

Like anything generalizing about even watching the paint dry can make something sound boring, but when you think about the chemical reactions happening to allow that paint to dry, balanced with atmospheric conditions needed to allow this to happen, and the exchange of energy occuring it can become interesting.

DC

#25 Wizards_Hat

Wizards_Hat

    Pinball Fan

  • VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  • Location:Manchester, UK

  • Flag: United Kingdom

  • Favorite Pinball: STTNG




  • Trophies:

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:04 AM

QUOTE (Dark Cypher @ Aug 23 2009, 03:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like anything generalizing about even watching the paint dry can make something sound boring, but when you think about the chemical reactions happening to allow that paint to dry, balanced with atmospheric conditions needed to allow this to happen, and the exchange of energy occuring it can become interesting.

LMAO...I'm a physics teacher, and I often try (& succeed?!) to make stuff sound interesting & cool...but even I thought you sounded like a nerd here...brilliant Worship.gif

Regards,
Dan.
A wizard only needs one ball...but can handle six.

#26 LuckyArmpit

LuckyArmpit

    Hobbyist

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Favorite Pinball: Pinbot

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:19 PM

Going around in a circle boring eh??? Tell ya what...I'll strap you into a sprint dirt car....850 hp in a 1200 pound car. You don't really turn sprint cars,
you slide them thru the turns at a 120 mph on a dirt/clay track. Touch tires with a competitor and your airborne!
Bring a change of underwear and a barf bag...you'd need it!!!
I think some nascar is boring but racing on a dirt track is much more spectacular to do and watch.

Lucky...

#27 studmuff

studmuff

    Pinball Fan

  • Charter Member
  • 768 posts
  • Location:Wisconsin

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Tron, ACDC, LOTR

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (Joe @ Aug 16 2009, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (VonStrogganoff @ Aug 16 2009, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Ilovearcades93 @ Apr 19 2009, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you ever noticed that Grand Prix is exactly the same as Nascar?

The only major difference is use of the Nascar trademarks.

I know there were other examples such as Data East's "Aaorn Spelling" (which VPinMAME cannot find the ROM to emulate).


I wonder why they did such a thing where two "twin" pinballs are seperated at birth.....


And why is that?

we are missing a rom


The Aaron Spelling Table was made special for Aaron Spelling by Data East (his wife gave it to him as a present). The game was based on the Lethal Weapon DE Table. Reference: The Pinball Compendium 1982 to Present.

You'll never see the roms released for this.

Edited by studmuff, 06 February 2010 - 07:36 PM.


#28 wtiger

wtiger

    Pinball Fan

  • VIP
  • 1,149 posts
  • Location:Los Angeles, CA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Junkyard



Contributor

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (LuckyArmpit @ Feb 6 2010, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think some nascar is boring but racing on a dirt track is much more spectacular to do and watch.

Lucky...


So you're a racer?

#29 faralos

faralos

    VPF Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts
  • Location:Eastern Pa,USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Flash (Williams) 1979, Flash2 Updated




  • Trophies:

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:00 PM

well I don't know here, I got into it living with a redneck two years past so can say it is fun to watch! I am not a freak about it but it's interesting to say the least. i don't care too much on the physics but I do know there is one track that they race on where turn 4 is a bitch I want to call it the 'wall' but dont quote me here but yo uDo know what NASCAR stands for right?
NASCAR Non-Athletic Sport Centered AroundRednecks dblthumb.gif

Edited by faralos, 06 February 2010 - 09:01 PM.

"Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.”
----Steve Jobs


#30 ta2686

ta2686

    Retired ROM Settings Guru

  • VIP
  • 2,324 posts
  • Location:USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: ONE THAT WORKS!



Contributor

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:45 PM

I think the late George Carlin said it best, and it reflects my opinion of auto racing:

"Where else can I see a 26 car collision and not be in the thing!"

and

"Driving 200mph in a circle does not impress me!"

I realize this pertains more to NASCAR than F1 racing, however both run on a fixed course whether in a circle or on a laid-out road course.
Need to set or reset replay levels on a particular table? These guides will help you:

For Non-DMD tables: Guide to reset replay levels on non-DMD tables

For DMD tables: Guide to set replay levels on DMD tables

Need to change the number of balls per game on a particular table? These guides will help you:

For Non-DMD tables: Guide to set number of balls per game on non-DMD tables

For DMD tables: Guide to set number of balls per game on DMD tables

Need to adjust the volume on DMD based tables? This guide will help you:

Guide to adjust volume on DMD tables

An alphabetical listing of VPM emulated tables with their MPU and links to their specific replay level, balls per game and volume adjustment procedures can be downloaded as an Excel spreadsheet from this link:

Excel Spreadsheet of VPM emulated tables

#31 Joe

Joe

    Pinball Wizard

  • VIP
  • 2,379 posts
  • Location:60016

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: New Stern ones

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE (faralos @ Feb 6 2010, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well I don't know here, I got into it living with a redneck two years past so can say it is fun to watch! I am not a freak about it but it's interesting to say the least. i don't care too much on the physics but I do know there is one track that they race on where turn 4 is a bitch I want to call it the 'wall' but dont quote me here but yo uDo know what NASCAR stands for right?
NASCAR Non-Athletic Sport Centered AroundRednecks dblthumb.gif

Non Athletic? the pit guy don't seem to be NON Athletic.

This year if will nice to be able hear the driver radio's on hot pass.

#32 PainkillerAlice

PainkillerAlice

    Multi-Level Madman

  • Platinum Supporter
  • 2,685 posts
  • Location:Indiana

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: I like multi-level pinball the most


  • Trophies:

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:44 PM

My favorite racing themed pinball is an original created by Black and Stein called F-1. It was unique in that it was kind of self-contained, didn't seem to need VP started to play it.

I could have been smart, but I never learned anything by being smart!

 

 


#33 Liteuser

Liteuser

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Location:USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: TFTC

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:23 AM

I think Striker Xtreme and NFL use the same basic table layout as well. Stern should take the best table layouts and add new themes for them. I would like to see some Stern horror themed Pins. wink.gif

I think a Sprint car themed table would be cool, World of Outlaws or some thing.

#34 Crazy DarnFool Duck

Crazy DarnFool Duck

    Wonderful Sonic Fan of (Maybe) Paradise

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Location:You're all nerds

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Don't you have anything better to do? :^)

  • PS3 Gamer Tag: Whaddya MEAN, I have a PS3?
  • 360 Gamer Tag: SonicMisaki

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:57 PM

I don't really care for either.

#35 nromo

nromo

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: I don't know. I love many of them!

Posted 11 May 2021 - 12:46 AM

I have an America Hot Wheels. The best racing theme pin out there IMO.

 

Sorry, old thread!!  :moon:


Edited by nromo, 11 May 2021 - 02:43 AM.