Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

Two of the same pinballs from Stern....


  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Poll: Stern racing pinball (658 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you like better?

  1. Nascar (212 votes [32.22%])

    Percentage of vote: 32.22%

  2. Grand Prix (191 votes [29.03%])

    Percentage of vote: 29.03%

  3. I don't know or don't care (255 votes [38.75%])

    Percentage of vote: 38.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Ilovearcades93

Ilovearcades93

    Hobbyist

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Favorite Pinball: Pirates of the Carribean

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:23 PM

Have you ever noticed that Grand Prix is exactly the same as Nascar?

The only major difference is use of the Nascar trademarks.

I know there were other examples such as Data East's "Aaorn Spelling" (which VPinMAME cannot find the ROM to emulate).


I wonder why they did such a thing where two "twin" pinballs are seperated at birth.....

#2 TAB

TAB

    Out of order

  • VIP
  • 2,556 posts
  • Location:Berlin/Germany

  • Flag: Germany

  • Favorite Pinball: BOP The Machine



Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:33 PM

Grand Prix , Nascar AND Dale Jr. smile.gif

Aaron Spelling was only for him produced. It's a Lethal Weapon clone.

#3 Wizards_Hat

Wizards_Hat

    Pinball Fan

  • VP Dev Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  • Location:Manchester, UK

  • Flag: United Kingdom

  • Favorite Pinball: STTNG




  • Trophies:

Posted 19 April 2009 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE (Ilovearcades93 @ Apr 19 2009, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you ever noticed that Grand Prix is exactly the same as Nascar?

I wonder why they did such a thing where two "twin" pinballs are seperated at birth.....

Only the Americans care about Nascar - the rest of the world follows Grand Prix => Nascar was released in the US...you cannot buy it in the UK, only Grand Prix came here.

Regards,
Dan.

A wizard only needs one ball...but can handle six.

#4 Ypsus

Ypsus

    Neophyte

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Location:Germany

  • Flag: Germany

  • Favorite Pinball: Iron Maiden

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:33 PM

Two more pinballs from Stern are exactly the same:
Shrek & Family Guy

I played them both and the only difference is the graphics (and the sound)

#5 destruk

destruk

    VPF Veteran

  • VPF Staff
  • 6,338 posts
  • Location:Colorado Springs, CO

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Ultrapin!



Posted 19 April 2009 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE (Ypsus @ Apr 19 2009, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Two more pinballs from Stern are exactly the same:
Shrek & Family Guy

I played them both and the only difference is the graphics (and the sound)


Similar, yes, exactly, no.

Build a fire, vipers love the heat.


#6 neoblood

neoblood

    Enthusiast

  • Charter Member
  • 381 posts
  • Location:USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: bop

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:16 PM


If some of my neighbors heard me say this I'd get punched in the face but I hate nascar. Can't think of a reason why cars running on an elliptical track would be fun to watch. I'd much rather watch cars race on a random track.
A Pinball a day takes the boredom away

#7 destruk

destruk

    VPF Veteran

  • VPF Staff
  • 6,338 posts
  • Location:Colorado Springs, CO

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Ultrapin!



Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:56 AM

It's a lot more fun an exciting to actually race cars, than to sit and watch from a distance or on tv. I never got 'spectator sports'.

Build a fire, vipers love the heat.


#8 Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman

    Pinball Wizard

  • VIP
  • 3,242 posts

  • Flag: ---------

  • Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness / Champion Pub



Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:49 PM

I don't like racing themes in pins that much but these tables have a fantastic multibal!

Unfortunately never played a real one .. (yet ;-) ).

Edited by Flying Dutchman, 20 April 2009 - 07:50 PM.

'Flying Dutchman'

In need for a Backglass or 'Active Backglass / UVP' please 'click' on below and visit the complete revised website at:
Posted Image

#9 Mr. Pacman

Mr. Pacman

    Pinball Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

  • Flag: Greece

  • Favorite Pinball: Attack from Mars

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:47 PM

I don't know, i don't like so much the specific themes. Also the biggest possibility is that i will never have the chance to play any of them in my country. Pinballs here are like dinosaurs. It seems that Stern mostly make pinball tables with Americans in mind..like the Sopranos biggrin.gif I have asked 3 friends of me who are foreign tv series fanatics to tell me about Sopranos, and no one knew the series...its strange..at least i'm a little familiar with their last tables "24" and "CSI"...

#10 Greywolf

Greywolf

    Perfectionist Bastard

  • VIP
  • 416 posts
  • Location:West Hyperspace, CA

  • Flag: ---------

  • Favorite Pinball: Too many to mention



Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:26 AM

Meh.

I'm disappointed that there's no F1 racing in the states (of which I'm aware).


#11 ValamirCleaver

ValamirCleaver

    Phoenix... rise... Raise your head... to the sky

  • Charter Member
  • 511 posts
  • Location:So Cal

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Theatre of Magic, Circus Voltaire, Getaway: High Speed 2

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:16 AM

United States Grand Prix

#12 Hansaplast

Hansaplast

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Location:Germany
  • Favorite Pinball: Monster Bash

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:40 PM

In one of the simracing-forums where i hang around someone wrote:
"Nascar is a bunch of Rednecks going in circles because that is all the track they can remember being watched by Rednecks of equal mental capabilities who use any social activity to get drunk and be loud..."
voodoo.gif

Another one wrote:
"There were approx 60...yes 60...lead changes in todays, err last nights race!!!..... You haven't had 60 lead changes in F1 in the last 5 years, let alone a single race..." good.gif

For myself, i wish there would be Nascar ovals in germany.
Nothing sounds as good as a swarm of hot V8 fly by.
I dont give a ..... on soccer. laugh.gif

Edited by Hansaplast, 04 May 2009 - 08:45 PM.


#13 LostWorldPinball

LostWorldPinball

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

  • Flag: ---------

  • Favorite Pinball: Spiderman & Apollo 13 & Jurassic Park

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:08 AM

When I voted, I was thinking of the game Checkpoint that I looked at the pictures, and don't really care for. I played Nascar, and it's fun.

#14 faralos

faralos

    VPF Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts
  • Location:Eastern Pa,USA

  • Flag: United States of America

  • Favorite Pinball: Flash (Williams) 1979, Flash2 Updated




  • Trophies:

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:16 PM

You know what NASCAR stands for right? Non-Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks biggrin.gif
My roomie and his wife are both fron Tennessee and are both rednecks. They LOVE nascar and everything that goes with it. including midget racers, the truck series, etc. Personally, for me, watching cars go around in a circle is as exciting as watching paint dry! but they like it...

Edited by faralos, 13 August 2009 - 12:18 PM.

"Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.”
----Steve Jobs


#15 poiuyterry

poiuyterry

    Hobbyist

  • VP Dev Team
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Location:Cottingham, East Yorkshire, England

  • Flag: United Kingdom

  • Favorite Pinball: All esp old machines

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (Ilovearcades93 @ Apr 19 2009, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you ever noticed that Grand Prix is exactly the same as Nascar?

The only major difference is use of the Nascar trademarks.

I know there were other examples such as Data East's "Aaorn Spelling" (which VPinMAME cannot find the ROM to emulate).


I wonder why they did such a thing where two "twin" pinballs are seperated at birth.....


I have the ROM for Aaron spelling I also have newer versions of some tables but I'm not allowed to upload them.



#16 TheMcD

TheMcD

    Pinball Wizard

  • VPF Staff
  • 2,461 posts
  • Location:Bavaria

  • Flag: Germany

  • Favorite Pinball: Frankenstein, Safecracker, Big Hurt, Four Horsemen, Tommy, X-Files

Contributor

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE (poiuyterry @ Aug 15 2009, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Ilovearcades93 @ Apr 19 2009, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you ever noticed that Grand Prix is exactly the same as Nascar?

The only major difference is use of the Nascar trademarks.

I know there were other examples such as Data East's "Aaorn Spelling" (which VPinMAME cannot find the ROM to emulate).


I wonder why they did such a thing where two "twin" pinballs are seperated at birth.....


I have the ROM for Aaron spelling I also have newer versions of some tables but I'm not allowed to upload them.




You'd have to PM Noah so he can give you upload permission. Even though I doubt you have the actual Aaron Spelling ROM, it's probably the same we all have.

The McD

VPF's resident pinball music fanatic.

The McD's Pinball Music Emporium: YouTube /// MediaFire (old tracks) /// Mega (new tracks)


#17 poiuyterry

poiuyterry

    Hobbyist

  • VP Dev Team
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Location:Cottingham, East Yorkshire, England

  • Flag: United Kingdom

  • Favorite Pinball: All esp old machines

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (TheMcD @ Aug 15 2009, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You'd have to PM Noah so he can give you upload permission. Even though I doubt you have the actual Aaron Spelling ROM, it's probably the same we all have.

The McD


Thanks for the info.

So what do we know about the correct Aaron ROM?

#18 TheMcD

TheMcD

    Pinball Wizard

  • VPF Staff
  • 2,461 posts
  • Location:Bavaria

  • Flag: Germany

  • Favorite Pinball: Frankenstein, Safecracker, Big Hurt, Four Horsemen, Tommy, X-Files

Contributor

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:33 PM

The correct Aaron Spelling ROM is only in the one machine that exists. Apparently, a dump was attempted, but it was bad and not useable. Dunno if someone could ever get a hold of the table, let alone pull off a dump.

The McD

VPF's resident pinball music fanatic.

The McD's Pinball Music Emporium: YouTube /// MediaFire (old tracks) /// Mega (new tracks)


#19 poiuyterry

poiuyterry

    Hobbyist

  • VP Dev Team
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Location:Cottingham, East Yorkshire, England

  • Flag: United Kingdom

  • Favorite Pinball: All esp old machines

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE (TheMcD @ Aug 15 2009, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The correct Aaron Spelling ROM is only in the one machine that exists. Apparently, a dump was attempted, but it was bad and not useable. Dunno if someone could ever get a hold of the table, let alone pull off a dump.

The McD



Thanks again for the info McD.

As I understand it there were 2 tables made (commission by his wife, nice!).

But yeah the one I have seems to be filled with random quotes from various members of his family, so not the real one.

Thanks

PT


#20 TheMcD

TheMcD

    Pinball Wizard

  • VPF Staff
  • 2,461 posts
  • Location:Bavaria

  • Flag: Germany

  • Favorite Pinball: Frankenstein, Safecracker, Big Hurt, Four Horsemen, Tommy, X-Files

Contributor

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:47 PM

Well, from what I know, the display ROM seems to be broken. Never really wondered if one could work the Lethal Weapon DMD with the Aaron Spelling sound, but it wouldn't mix well anyway.

The McD

VPF's resident pinball music fanatic.

The McD's Pinball Music Emporium: YouTube /// MediaFire (old tracks) /// Mega (new tracks)