Photo
- - - - -

LedStrip Controller Board Poll

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

Poll: LedStrip Controller Board demand (78 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you by a LedStripController board?

1. Yes (61 votes [80.26%])

Percentage of vote: 80.26%

2. Maybe (11 votes [14.47%])

Percentage of vote: 14.47%

3. No (4 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

Would you want a additional soldi state relay on the board?

1. Yes (20 votes [26.32%])

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

2. Yes, as a option (44 votes [57.89%])

Percentage of vote: 57.89%

3. No (12 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Swisslizard

Swisslizard

DOF inventor & coder

• VIP
  • 152 posts

• Flag: Switzerland

• Favorite Pinball: The Machine

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:20 AM

Hi

The ledstrip controller project has changed its direction towards a different hardware solution. Please continue with reading the following post for more details: http://www.vpforums....=27227&p=319890

The information below is outdated, but stays in place for historical reasons.

All the best

Tom / Swisslizard

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi folks

As some of you already know, I'm working on a small controller board for led strips.

So far I have built different 3 prototypes, which all work well (just check out the DOF show case video to get a idea what can be done).The main components of the hardware are a fast USB bridge chip (FT245RL) and an Atmel microprocessor which does the real work. The firmware of the board is all written in assembler and is at its current state able to send approx. 50000bytes to the leds per second and there is still some headroom for optimization. This is fast enough to drive a few hundred leds. At this time the board is able to control led strips which are based in the WS2811 or the WS2812 chip (http://www.adafruit....eets/WS2812.pdf).

DOF has also been extended with new classes and config options to configure and control the led strips. DOF is currently able to use up to 16 of those controller boards. The board uses a simple protocol for data transmission and could be used from other software as well.

Now I want to make the next step and try to get into a stage where that controller can made available for everyone. The design for the SMD version of the board is almost finished.

LedStripControllerV3.jpg

LedStripControllerV3Top.jpg

Before I venture into SMD prototype production, I'd like to know if there is any interest amongst the cabinet builders for that controller board.

One possible addition to the current board design would be to add a solid state relay which could be used to controll the power supply for the led strip. Any interest?

The price for the board will likely be in the 40Euro/50USD range, based on my current estimation, but the price might be lower if there is enough demand and a larger production run can be made.

Please let me know, if you would consider buying one or several controller boards, so I get a idea about the possible demand.

All the best

Tom

Edited by Swisslizard, 27 September 2015 - 03:23 PM.

Programming is a race between software engineers striving to build  idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

#2 randr

randr

I'm just a hardware guy so...

• VIP
  • 2,650 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:08 PM

I'm in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

randr___pinball.png                         

#3 Slydog43

Slydog43

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,006 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family, All Williams 90's Games

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:31 PM

awesome, I hope you can make a little money also for your incredible work with DOF, really makes VP shine like it should

#4 boiydiego

boiydiego

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

• Flag: Belgium

• Favorite Pinball: flinstones,t2 chrome edition,wcs,afm,fish tales,medieval,rollercoaster tycoon,taxi

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:52 PM

so there will be no ticking sound anymore from the solid state relay ?i now have a 4 relay board that drives me crazy :D . how far are you in building the smd now ?

Edited by boiydiego, 18 March 2014 - 12:08 AM.

boiydiego___gebruik-n2kbkyc.png

#5 arngrim

arngrim

DJ Force Feedback

• VIP
  • 2,188 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Monster bash

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:11 AM

I would have said i'm in too, but my cab is full so i will use dmx ledbar outside that will do the same :)

#6 boiydiego

boiydiego

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

• Favorite Pinball: flinstones,t2 chrome edition,wcs,afm,fish tales,medieval,rollercoaster tycoon,taxi

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:14 AM

do you want payment in advance and will it be shipped from swiz ?

#7 Swisslizard

Swisslizard

DOF inventor & coder

• VIP
  • 152 posts

• Flag: Switzerland

• Favorite Pinball: The Machine

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:29 AM

@boidiego:

The SMD design of the ledstrip controller is pretty much finished. Working on the addition of the solid state relay now (not sure yet if it is going to sty in the final design).

We're not taliing about taking orders yet, I just want to find out how big the demand for such a controller board would be. If there is enough demand to justify a production run of those boards, I will accept preorders or we'll organize a collective order.

For Europe shipping would be from Switzerland, for noth americas I might have someone how would ship from there.

Programming is a race between software engineers striving to build  idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

#8 boiydiego

boiydiego

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:26 AM

but will the solid state relay fix the clicking sound the normal board relays make ??

#9 Shadowsclassic

Shadowsclassic

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Elvira and the Party Monsters

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:12 PM

I will be adding lights to my cab (once I get my cab done) as well as maybe some sound and force feedback but I really have not done any research in to DOF or any of the extra cabinet features. Since I really don't know what things do or what I will or won't need down the road I can't say for sure if I would buy your board or not.  Man, is that vague enough, lol. 

Anyway what I am trying to say without know what I'm talking about is there is a good chance I would be interested once I get to that stage if it will do what I want. 

That was just as vague wasn't it?  :hmm:

#10 boiydiego

boiydiego

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:16 PM

if you want force feedback i can tell you this your cost of build will go up double the price been there done that ;-)

#11 arngrim

arngrim

DJ Force Feedback

• VIP
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

it will not double, randr estimated the "full" forcefeedback package at about 1200 $

#12 boiydiego

boiydiego

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

it will not double, randr estimated the "full" forcefeedback package at about 1200 $it

it will quadro your budget then :D :D

#13 gtxjoe

gtxjoe

VPF Veteran

• VIP
  • 5,060 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, AbraCadabra

Contributor

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

but will the solid state relay fix the clicking sound the normal board relays make ??

I am curious - what toys have the relay clicking sound?  I only have LEDwiz, RGB flashers, Strobes and using RGB amplifiers so no relay clicking for the lights.  No contactors yet, but I need to look into this ...

#14 randr

randr

• VIP
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:49 PM

Real pinball has "clicking" anytime flashers go off. I think the click of relay just makes it more realistic emulation.

Edited by randr, 18 March 2014 - 02:50 PM.

randr___pinball.png                         

#15 boiydiego

boiydiego

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:11 PM

I am curious - what toys have the relay clicking sound?  I only have LEDwiz, RGB flashers, Strobes and using RGB amplifiers so no relay clicking for the lights.  No contactors yet, but I need to look into this ...

you use rgb amplifiers i dont , i use 4 relay board like chris in the bb build !!

Real pinball has "clicking" anytime flashers go off. I think the click of relay just makes it more realistic emulation.

not when you have the ledwiz controled rgb underlightstrips the relays click like crazy tought i would build the board in a casing with soundreduce foam

to reduce the clicking sound..

Edited by boiydiego, 18 March 2014 - 03:11 PM.

#16 gtxjoe

gtxjoe

VPF Veteran

• VIP
  • 5,060 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, AbraCadabra

Contributor

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

See this topic for undercab RGB clicking http://www.vpforums....showtopic=26928.  For under 10 Euro, you can get 1 RGB amp (mini or standard with screw posts) 

#17 randr

randr

• VIP
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:24 PM

No reason for relay on undercab lights at least how I do it

randr___pinball.png                         

#18 arngrim

arngrim

DJ Force Feedback

• VIP
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

The only relay i have is the one that controls the powerbar for my screens, audio amp etc, i hate the clic of the relays :)

#19 vampirolatino2

vampirolatino2

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

• Flag: Spain

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:27 PM

I'm in too. I can help in the distribution for the USA, ... I need to contribute in something! lol

#20 randr

randr

• VIP
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

Real clicks..but each their own I suppose. Towards end 85vette shows his mod "flashing" listen :)

randr___pinball.png