Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

• Flag: France

• Favorite Pinball: TOTAN

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

Hi,

I see that Siemens contactor are prefered for a Force Feed Back install.

indeed i asking myself wich is the best reference.

I see that many of us use 24v Contactor like the 3RT1015-1BB41 

I see another model with 12v like the 3RT1016-1BA42

Does this is the correct references ?

Wich contactor is the best for using with a virtual pinball ?

Thanks for help.

Cedric.

Edited by miracle, 04 January 2014 - 06:27 PM.

#2 arngrim

arngrim

DJ Force Feedback

• VIP
  • 2,188 posts

• Flag: Belgium

• Favorite Pinball: Monster bash

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

We use a lot of 24v because they are easier to find, but if you can find volts take them, make sure they are all the same and use 10 contactors, the coverage is much bettet

#3 miracle

miracle

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:30 PM

Thanks,

So 12v and 24v provide the same "effect" ? 

I plan to use 8 contactor, (2 flip, 2 sling, 4 bumper) you say it need 10 ?

Ced.

#4 kenrunio

kenrunio

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: Attack from Mars

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:46 PM

12V are harder to find and might be more expensive therefore. I found mine in some electronics store online in Italy.  However, everything I currently have in the cabinet uses 12V so life is much simpler. 

I have 7 and I'd say that's about the minimum to get decent coverage all the way round your machine: 2 flippers, 2 slingshots, 3 bumpers. 

Also my bumper contactors are not attached to the side of the machines- I have 2 wood bars going across the middle of the cab, and they are on these so they are positioned on this, closer to the middle of the machine under the playfield TV.

#5 arngrim

arngrim

DJ Force Feedback

• VIP
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

If you can afford it, the configtool proposes 10 contactors setup for all tables, separation of the contactor is much better like this, for the 8 contactor setup, all the events in the middle and the back of the playfield are triggered by 3 or 4 contactors and with dof there are so much more events, 10 contactors is best Posted Image

#6 miracle

miracle

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

Thanks for the explain.

Can i plug the 12v or 24v contactor directly on the ledwiz ? (drawing less than 500 ma ?)

I look for the Wolfsoft Germany 12v contactor (because i'm in europe)

It make it more simple to power them with the PC Power supply (a good one).

My other option is to use the original bumper coil and flip (i have a old table) with Zeb power board.

Any idea about this ?

Ced.

Edited by miracle, 03 January 2014 - 09:14 AM.

#7 Carny_Priest

Carny_Priest

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: EATPM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:34 AM

The "best" solution would be to use brand new genuine pinball flipper and bumper coil assemblies. But then, of course, you would be working with dangerously high voltages, 40V+ for some coils. Somebody clever (Chriz99?) hit on the idea of using used Siemens industrial contactors as a cheap, safer and sufficient simulator of the genuine pinball part. And the rest of us for the most part have followed along because it is at least a known quantity. In the process, we drive up the prices of used contactors on one another.

A lot of people used the Siemens model number you referenced. Another model, what I have bought is 3RT1016-1BB41. 

One tip is that you might search for something like 3RT1016-2BB41. Identical to 3RT1016-1BB41 in every way except that it has crimp terminals instead of screw terminals.

There are tables from other manufacturers such as Allen-Bradley that allow you to cross-reference their contactors with Siemens so that you can identify a part that is comparable to a Siemens model number. Google "allen-bradley siemens contactor cross reference"

I wouldn't even say that all contactors have to be the same manufacturer and model. If you are buying used then the condition of these contactors will vary and so will their output.

Usually, parts from other manufacturers are cheaper than Siemens, but I haven't seen much in the forums that would conclude that they would not perform as well as Siemens. Or that you would not be just as happy with them as you would be had you spent extra for Siemens contactors. There's a few but not many head-to-head comparisons in the forums on contactors. In scouring the forums over the past few months on this subject, I've not seen the research that compares contactors to real parts.

You have genuine parts already. If you can handle the electrical, I'd suggest giving it a try. 

#8 miracle

miracle

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:23 AM

Thanks a lot for this answer, i see it more clearly now.

The major problem i have with the original coil and bumper (my first trought) is the current.

I can manage to make a secure installation with my knowledge.

I have a multi voltage transformator in very good condition to provide 12, 24, 30, 80Vac, i will use it for Plasma DMD with a piggy or Zeb board.

But flippers coil need DC, so maybee a Zev Board can help me in just boost a standard PC power supply to 30VDC ?

Cedric.

#9 arngrim

arngrim

DJ Force Feedback

• VIP
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:59 AM

here are some cheap ones

http://www.mpja.com/...tinfo/18230 RL/

someone from the other forum have them on his cab and he says they are rendering good :)

#10 miracle

miracle

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

Cool, But not common.

what about latency and noise ? a small review will be cool if it's a good alternative to siemens contactor.

I want to achieve the higher simulation level possible :)

#11 arngrim

arngrim

DJ Force Feedback

• VIP
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:36 PM

i can't tell, i don't have them, i bought siemens before i knew these ones, and can't point you to the topic where it has been discussed because it's not here, but i'm sure we can have the same or better than siemens with a better price

#12 kickthefog

kickthefog

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: SS,CV,TOM,SC

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:13 AM

here are some cheap ones

http://www.mpja.com/...tinfo/18230 RL/

someone from the other forum have them on his cab and he says they are rendering good :)

I too saw the post about these on the other forum and ordered them.   I'm a few weeks out from being able to report on them but I'll give a report once I get them up and running in a few weeks.

Pat

#13 arngrim

arngrim

DJ Force Feedback

• VIP
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:46 AM

Thank you pat

#14 miracle

miracle

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

#15 fiatbravodriver

fiatbravodriver

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: T2

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:16 AM

Jumping in on a old thread here but I am interested in hearing (pun intended) how the alternative contactors worked out?

I am needing to order some but the Siemens 3rt1016-2bb41 are £30 each in the UK and need 10. ($230) Ouch. 

Thanks in advance.

J