DrEvil

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 109 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Indiana Jones

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

In-Depth Virtuapin Review

The Virtuapin is dream-come-true for arcade and pinball enthusiasts looking to relive memories of all the quarters we spent at the neighborhood arcades of our youth.  It also opens a new dimension of gaming by offering fresh original pinball table designs that are fully functional games in their own right.  I have my own little basement arcade to which I added the Virtuapin a few months ago.
Some people speculate that the local arcade business withered with the advent of advanced home gaming consoles like the original Nintendo.  The demise of small independent pinball arcades was probably an innocent bystander, to the point where only one or two companies are left who manufacture new pinball games, and they are mostly bought for home collections and by large entertainment companies like Dave&Buster.  Regardless, the development of reliable software and hardware has the potential to bring pinball back into the mainstream of gaming.  For me, that’s what the VirtuaPin is all about.
I can’t remember how I stumbled upon Paul Maletich and Virtuapin – probably by accident while visiting MAME or Hyperspin forums.  But I am glad I did.  After talking to Paul I knew I had to have one.  Before clicking the “pay with Paypal” button on this $5000 purchase, we talked at length.  I needed some reassurance that the company and product were legitimate, since info is a little hard to dig out of the web.  I placed my order and waited for delivery.  He gave me frequent updates including information about a production delay related to the implementation of some new design aspects. I was happy to wait for that. The machine arrived as promised a month or two later.

Physical Setup

Rest assured, the Virtuapin has the weight and dimensions of standard modern pinball.  I called my local pinball distributor who sent two guys to help me move it into my basement game room.  This was my first chance to show-off to some experienced pinball experts.  They were astonished and impressed, without even seeing the machine running.  That’s because it is a work of art.  Almost an Ode to the history of pinball.  Materials and craftsmanship are extraordinary.  It is solid (and heavy), and the move required us to take off the backbox and do some reassembly – no problem.  The finish is equivalent to a real pinball.  Internally there is a PC with two video cards, a large playfield monitor and monitors for backglass and DMD.  You can replace the DMD monitor with a real DMD, but I would not recommend that.  The PC comes loaded with WinXP, ready for you to begin configuring and playing pinball.  All of this is cased in a wooden cabinet with glass top and metal trim.  The legs, buttons, plunger, etc might initially fool most people into thinking this is a real pinball.

Initial Configuration

The first thing I did was plug in a USB network adapter and install TightVNC so I could manage the PC remotely on my home network.  Paul provides a necessary wireless mouse and keyboard but working at the Virtuapin with is awkward without a separate stand or table on which to place them.  When configuration work requires me to be at the Virtuapin I have the mouse and keyboard right there on the glass that covers the playfield monitor.  I’m not sure how to improve on this without disrupting the aesthetics of the product.  Once the WinXP environment and network is up, I then started accumulation files and tools to start running pinball tables.

Pinball Collection

Running an old pinball table on the Virtuapin is not what I would technically consider emulation.  It is not as if you are emulating arcade software on your PC.  With the Virtuapin you are essentially modeling the pinball experience.  Two publicly available program, Future Pinball (FP) and Visual Pinball (VP), are installed on the PC.  Developers in the public domain use editing tools to create pinball tables based upon actual machines from the past.  These table files are then shared at VPforums.org.  But it’s not a simple matter of grabbing a file, installing and playing pinball.  To manage and access your collection you can use a frontend such as Hyperpin (HP).  Configuring the Virtuapin to run numerous FP and VP tables all in HP requires a certain level of PC skill and knowledge.  You don’t have to be a programmer/developer, but a beginner’s knowledge of scripting, paths, a little XML, and some patience is required.  (I had previously built a MAME machine with Hyperspin (HS), so I felt ready for the challenge.) The programs that run all this are public domain and can sometimes be quirky.  Luckily the support community at vpforums is par excellence with quick answers and solutions to just about every hiccup you encounter.
If it’s not already apparent, the Virtuapin is not a plugin-ready gaming machine like a PS3.  It’s more of a hobbyist endeavor.  That’s not a critique but rather a design decision from what I can tell.  I presume it would take a few years and a big investor (plus copyright hurdles) to transform it into an idiot-proof arcade gaming machine with a simple on/off button.  In the end though, the owner can make it such if they have the ability.

Game Play

I suppose game play is what we’re all ultimately interested in, and this is the most outstanding aspect of the Virtuapin.   For many older tables that are typically modeled using FP, the experience is actually better than the real thing.  With more recent games such as LOTR or Medieval Madness the effect is a bit different.  While playing older games the immersion is complete.  As the graphics and physical gimmicks of the games get more complex, the modeling process can only go so far.  Nonetheless, while playing a modern game you certainly realize this is a video game.  I am not saying that is inferior to the real thing - just different.  From the sound to the feel to the DMD to the voice narration of the game, table developers have done an incredible job of representing the pinball experience in a video game machine.  It all comes together when a table author has provided the back glass image with animation, the active DMD, the play field, ball action, collisions, and sounds all in a cohesive package.  Once again, this is artwork in my opinion.  Just like a themed pinball reminds you of a character or movie or sport, so does the Virtuapin experience.

Conclusion

The Virtuapin is a must have for retro-arcade enthusiasts along with those encouraged by the modern pinball resurgence.  The machine itself belongs in a real arcade and, in my opinion, should lead that resurgence.  It almost creates its own videogame genre by embellishing the whole idea of pinball.  The fact that it requires an enthusiast/hobbyist level of configuration and setup is a plus for me, while it could dissuade some buyers.

Home Arcave featuring the Virtuapin:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flp1qIFfeAU

#2 gamefixer

gamefixer

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 575 posts

• Favorite Pinball: BK2K

• PS3 Gamer Tag: gamefixer
  • 360 Gamer Tag: gamefixer

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

I'm curious to know why you would dissuade people from using a real DMD?

#3 RNunez187

RNunez187

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 250 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Scared Stiff

• PS3 Gamer Tag: RNunez187
  • 360 Gamer Tag: RNunez187

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:09 PM

This is probably the most indepth review I have seen. Paul is great to deal with. I got my Vishay DMD and PinDMD from him. Just curious as to why you wouldn't recommend a real DMD?

Rudy

stfsgv.png

#4 DrEvil

DrEvil

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

In the future I think having a real monitor may be more versatile.  Of course you can always switch out the monitor for a DMD and visa-versa.  My understanding regarding the industry is that DMDs are going away in general.

#5 russdx

russdx

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,317 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: NBAFB

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

I thought the whole point of these cabinets is to emulate games we can no longer play? and most of these games are DMD based :)

Only advantage to having a LCD is your able to play some of these weird future pinball tables.

True pinball uses a 128x32 DMD, LCD will never be able to replace the amazing feel and look of pinball DMD pixel art :) Its just not pinball without that warm glow from the DMD or older seven seg/alphanumeric displays.

Or maybe i'm just old LOL

#6 faralos

faralos

VPF Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Flash (Williams) 1979, Flash2 Updated

• Trophies:

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

and as long as I am playing ANY pin I am happy

you guys can gloat all you want about your virtuapin or hyperpin things

but I will still be building the desktop versions

for those of us who either can't afford to buy one

or just have no need for one ( I really prefer desktop pins over anything else!)

I am glad though that it is everything you ever wanted it to  be

and you got it all up and running without any problems

and in the future any problems you experience just post here

and someone will be more than willing to help ya'

"Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.”
----Steve Jobs

#7 DrEvil

DrEvil

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 109 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:28 AM

"Only advantage to having a LCD is your able to play some of these weird future pinball tables."

Exactly.  I am speculating that a major trend in pinball from this point on will be such weirdness

#8 Aaron James

Aaron James

<<< Grand Champion >>>

• VIP
  • 1,408 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Docking Complete...Negative...You Must Redock...Redock Now!

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:56 AM

I like having a third monitor instea of a dmd because on some games I can have art or a logo there while the dmd is going. ( Addams family things lights under dmd and backglass is clean of them)
Also, I can change the size to any size I want...which comes in handy on a game like Frankenstein by sega.
It's overall very functional. That's my 2 cents.

Edited by Aaron James, 22 July 2013 - 02:58 AM.

vpsig.jpg

#9 Gamester

Gamester

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

• Favorite Pinball: .

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:43 AM

"Only advantage to having a LCD is your able to play some of these weird future pinball tables."

Exactly.  I am speculating that a major trend in pinball from this point on will be such weirdness

I would much rather have a real DMD for an authentic experience while playing the vast library of actual SS table recreations than use an LCD just to try to accommodate a few one-off Future Pinball tables...

Last time I checked, the very latest Stern tables are still using DMDs.  Not sure when this rumored move away from DMDs is expected to occur, but doesn't appear to be anytime soon.  Even then, it's likely going to be a move to something like Jersey Jack Pinball uses for their Wizard of Oz table, with the scoring basically integrated into an LCD in the backglass.  A tiny third LCD screen isn't going to be of much use in replicating that type of setup.  It's going to be displayed on the larger backglass monitor...

I like having a third monitor instead of a dmd because on some games I can have art or a logo there while the dmd is going. 

Can be done with a real DMD too, right Russ?  ;)

#10 waspstar

waspstar

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 136 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: White Water, Fathom, Flash Gordon, Paragon and many more

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:06 AM

I have ordered a virtuapin and will probably soon have it so I am not sure about this yet but is it not possible to move the videos in future pinball to the backglass if you are using a real dmd? Sure it will obstruct some of the backglass art but at least it is possible to have it there for the few tables that use this feature. Or am I wrong about this?

#11 DrEvil

DrEvil

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 109 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

Well, it wasn't my intent to start a DMD debate, but its a good debate nonetheless.  For EM and earlier SS tables its moot.  The effect of the back glass plus a well done playfield is fully immersive.  However, with the DMD era came a lot more (vertical) depth to the playfield which makes suspension of disbelief much more difficult using a virtual setup.  I'll grant that the back glass component is a 100% perfect emulation, but then adding a real DMD seems somehow incongruent to me because it is too authentic compared to the playfield.  As I said, my sense is that the community is not merely attempting to replicate and parrot physical pinball but to take the art/entertainment form one step further and in new directions.

#12 hotdp

hotdp

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

• Flag: Denmark

• Favorite Pinball: T2

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

Well, it wasn't my intent to start a DMD debate, but its a good debate nonetheless.  For EM and earlier SS tables its moot.  The effect of the back glass plus a well done playfield is fully immersive.  However, with the DMD era came a lot more (vertical) depth to the playfield which makes suspension of disbelief much more difficult using a virtual setup.  I'll grant that the back glass component is a 100% perfect emulation, but then adding a real DMD seems somehow incongruent to me because it is too authentic compared to the playfield.  As I said, my sense is that the community is not merely attempting to replicate and parrot physical pinball but to take the art/entertainment form one step further and in new directions.

I hope I one day will have an awesome room as yours :-)

Currently I "only" have Virtual Pin and MAME Arcade machine. 

#13 MTPPC

MTPPC

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Mata Hari .directB2S

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:24 PM

I sort of like how the system 11 williams games look on a 3rd LCD (like the joy ride scores on TAXI). You can't do that on a standard DMD, can you?

Edited by MTPPC, 23 July 2013 - 11:24 PM.

#14 russdx

russdx

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,317 posts

• Favorite Pinball: NBAFB

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:44 PM

You can with virtual alphanumerics :)

#15 RNunez187

RNunez187

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 250 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Scared Stiff

• PS3 Gamer Tag: RNunez187
  • 360 Gamer Tag: RNunez187

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:17 AM

Attached File  Taxi.jpg   54.42KB   9 downloads

Taxi with PinDMD 1

stfsgv.png

#16 Aaron James

Aaron James

<<< Grand Champion >>>

• VIP
  • 1,408 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Docking Complete...Negative...You Must Redock...Redock Now!

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:39 AM

Are you able to get that"1000" off the dmd using uvp or db2s?

vpsig.jpg

#17 Nemo

Nemo

Pinball Fan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 1,283 posts

• Flag: Netherlands

• Favorite Pinball: Monster Bash

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

Nice review, i would have liked to see the faces of those guys who helped you carry the pin into your basement.....

"what ? this is no real pin ?" and something along these lines "where's the playfield ? what's with this lcd screen ?" 

Ahhhh, great stuff....

Gone fishin', no really.......

My F14 Cab http://www.vpforums....showtopic=21820

My Coffee Table http://www.vpforums....topic=25407&hl=

My Jukebox WIP http://www.vpforums....topic=23825&hl=

#18 bob78954

bob78954

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 257 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Royal Flush,Fish Tales

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

I grew up playing those old EM machines from the 70's..The DMD machines came out as a way to compete with the Arcade games which were taking over the arcades in the 80's.By that time I was hanging at the beach, not the arcades. DMD's are cool but I can live with or without them..Just sayin.

#19 SteveB69

SteveB69

Sir

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, Elvis, Abracadabra, Cactus Canyon, S.T.T.N.G

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

Just thought I'd add my two penneth to this having a virtuapin now.

The nudging part of it is fantastic, just works on every table.

The plunger part, Mmm, laziness but I really do prefer using a launch button. Plus the plunger doesn't work automatically on a lot of tables.

But the nudge part, brilliant & on my next cab build I will have another one of these.

The PCWin 7: 3.59 AMD A8-5600K APU, 8GB RAM. NVidia Geforce GT560 ti (Playfield), AMD Radeon HD 7560D (Backglass & DMD)

The Cab5 x Contactors (2 x Flippers, 3 x Bumpers), 20 x LEDs 8 for slingshots, 12 for bumpers. 3 x Strobe Lights - Run through Ledwiz

Buttons2 x Flippers, 2 x Magna Saves, 1 & 2 player, Start, Launch Ball, 6 admin buttons - Run through IPac.

Pacman%20banner.png

#20 DrEvil

DrEvil

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

Just thought I'd add my two penneth to this having a virtuapin now.

The nudging part of it is fantastic, just works on every table.

The plunger part, Mmm, laziness but I really do prefer using a launch button. Plus the plunger doesn't work automatically on a lot of tables.

But the nudge part, brilliant & on my next cab build I will have another one of these.

have you adjusted the nudging function?  I am not getting a lot of reaction when I nudge