#1 desdrl

desdrl

Neophyte

• Silver Supporter
  • 7 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Kiss, Attack/Revenge from Mars

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:27 PM

Hi forgive me if this has been answered before, I searched but could not find anything.

After almost 2 years on and off trying to get Hyperpin up and running (i already had desktop versions working in VPMan) I finally figured out  (after reading a multitude of posts here) how to get a 2 monitor cabinet setup working, Easy once you know how LOL.

So now I have 95 tables setup on my test Vista 32 bit computer which I'm replacing with a Win 7 64 bit computer.

Hyperpin is currently on C:\Hyperpin and Visual Pinball is on D:\Program Files\Visual Pinball.

I have Hyperpin and Visual Pinball folders backed up on a flash drive and am hoping it is just a matter of copying the Hyperpin folder to the C:\ on the new computer and the Visual Pinball folder to the C:\Program Files (x86) on the new computer and changing the paths in Hyperpin settings and the VPinMame setup as needed.

1: or do I need to actually reinstall Hyperpin and VP then copy from my flash drive.

2: I had to change a lot of the the ROM ROL or ROR settings in the registry, anone know an easy way to copy these ROM setting from the registry on the Vista Computer to the Win 7 computer?, so I don't have to edit them again on the Win7.

Thanks guys.

Edited by desdrl, 06 June 2013 - 02:54 AM.

Alienware X51 Win 7 64 bit, I7-3770, 8GB RAM, 1.5GB NVidia GeFroce GTX660.

#2 freneticamnesic

freneticamnesic

A Faint Ghost Through the Raindrops

• VIP
  • 3,334 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Star Trek, Black Hole, AFM, Fast Draw, Tron, AMH

• 360 Gamer Tag: sixgunsounddd

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:44 AM

You can technically but you're probably going to run into more issues than you would if you started over. 

That's not to say you should completely start over, save all your configs and tables and HP media packs.. Install your HyperPin and VP fresh and then move your tables in (these save your table position obviously) and HP media packs and configs, then you can modify the configs to reflect your new locations.

The ROR and ROL settings can be exported in regedit, just export the whole Visual Pinmame folder by right clicking > export - this can then be installed on your new setup by going to regedit > file > import (or I think you can double-click to install the *.reg file)

#3 Joe

Joe

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 2,337 posts

• Favorite Pinball: New Stern ones

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:13 AM

and you don't need to install to Program Files (x86)

#4 gtxjoe

gtxjoe

VPF Veteran

• VIP
  • 5,063 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, AbraCadabra

Contributor

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

1) Install Visual Pinball following the install guide

2) Overwrite the Visual pinball folder with your backup copy. 

3) Hyperpin does not require an installation, so just use the files from your Hyperpin backup.  If you install Visual pinball to a new location, you will have to update the Hyperpin settings.ini

4) To export the Vpinmame registry keys, I have attached a script file that will back them up for you.  

- Download the attached export.txt file and rename it to export.cmd.  

- Double click on it to run it.  If you get a popup asking permission, click yes.  

- You will end up with a file called "vpinmamebackup.reg".  That is a backup of the Vpinmame related keys

5) Copy the vpinmame.reg file to the Windows 7 machine and double click on it.  You will probably get 2 prompts asking if you are sure you want to do this, click Yes.  Done

The export.cmd file is just a text file which has the following registry export command:

REGEDIT /E "%cd%\vpinmamebackup.reg" "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Freeware\Visual PinMame"
You can open the file in notepad, if you want to verify it :-)  If you google REGEDIT /E , you will see that it is just the registry export command

The resulting vpinmamebackup.reg is also a text file containing all the rom settings, you can open it in notepad and you will see all the roms you have downloaded in the past

Attached Files

#5 desdrl

desdrl

Neophyte

• Silver Supporter
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:23 AM

Hey guys thanks for the advice i got it all done in about an hour. All the tables i've tested so far work as expected.
Gtxjoe only just saw your reply, all I did with the registry was right click on the visual pinball in the vista registry and selected export and saved it to the flash drive. Then on the Win 7 computer just double clicked on the visual pinball reg backup file I exportrd from the Vista registry and it automaticly updated the registry.
Thanks for the help guys.

Edited by desdrl, 08 June 2013 - 04:24 AM.

#6 gtxjoe

gtxjoe

VPF Veteran

• VIP
  • 5,063 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness, AbraCadabra

Contributor

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:22 AM

Yep, if you are comfortable with Regedit, then yes that's the easiest ;)

#7 desdrl

desdrl

Neophyte

• Silver Supporter
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:37 PM

I am finfing some issues with some tables thak worked perfectly on Vista, some where the DMD refuses to come to the front, some flipper lag (creature from the black lagoon)., and on one table Eight Ball Deluxe getting "line 0 Null" script error.

And Bride of Pinbot has slowed to a snails pace for some reason.

On the up side on Vista I had some tables (direct b2s) causing vpmame to crash on exit but they no longer do.

It appears that Creature from the Black Lagoon which is one where the DMD will not come to the front as well as flipper lag seems to be a Hyperpin issuse as if I load it in Visual Pinball works peffectly.

But Bride of Pinbot is the same..Sloooooow.

EDIT: Solved the lag and slow down issues....Don't run the backglass in exe mode.

Edited by desdrl, 10 June 2013 - 09:19 PM.