Photo

Mame Bartop / Upright Arcade Build - Finished! (settingsons)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 settingsons

settingsons

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 959 posts

• Flag: Switzerland

• Favorite Pinball: Terminator 2 and many EM machines

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

I always dreamt of one-day making my own arcade cabinet ever since I played the pre-Mame Sparcade arcade emulator by Dave Spicer many moons ago (mid 90's). It was always a long-term plan but never materialised. Then around 1999 when these forums were created and I saw the first vritual pinball cabinets appearing by the early pioneers such as Rawd, and then I knew my priority was to build a Virtual Pinball cabinet. I did that at last year and I love it.

But now it was time to build a mame cabinet. I liked the bartops that have been made but I also wanted an upright arcade machine to re-kindle my youth (smile.gif). Therefore I decided to build a self-contained bartop, and then build a simple base to stand it on to make it like an upright arcade cabinet (the bartop bolts to the base and can be easily removed). The base is in fact a cupboard for my wife to use for her books/paperwork/etc. so that is how I convinced her to let me put it in the living room .

I was very lucky to find a secondhand 19" Dell 4:3 LCD monitor with a stand which allows the screen to rotate. Absolutely perfect and only 5 euros at a street market! I managed to detach the rotating bracket from the monitor stand and mount it on a baton.

I built this last Oct/Nov and started with a cardboard prototype. I used the Ultimarc 4-way/8-way switchable joysticks with ball-tops which I have to say are superb. Pacman plays so well in 4-way mode.

I use the Mala front-end with videos, and have a button to rotate the video output between Portrait and Landscape. The screen is easily rotated manually by removing the plexi-glass, rotating the screen by hand, and replacing the plexi (as shown in the video).

I currently run Mame, Atari VCS Stella, and Dolphin. I use a desktop PC standing at the side of the cabinet for now, but there is plenty of room in the bartop to build a dedicated PC (once funds allow). I we vill eventually add two pinball buttons on the side although this isn't a priority as I have the Pincab.

I have uploaded a few pictures below (probably too many) and a youtube video. Any questions please ask!

Cheers

Mame Bartop/Upright Arcade Video

Edited by settingsons, 06 April 2012 - 12:24 PM.

#2 mameman23

mameman23

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 506 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: Dr Who, robocop

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

Looks good, just building a bartop myself. You should post it over on byoac forum also.
PM me for any CNC needs.
Find me on Facebook....Xtreme Pinball
Doctor Who Cabinet Build Thread Here
Tron Cabinet Build Thread Here
Big Bang Bar Build Thread Here
Mameman's cnc fun

#3 Zablon

Zablon

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Funhouse

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

NICE! Can I has the cardboard version? biggrin.gif lol

#4 settingsons

settingsons

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 959 posts

• Flag: Switzerland

• Favorite Pinball: Terminator 2 and many EM machines

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (mameman23 @ Apr 6 2012, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks good, just building a bartop myself. You should post it over on byoac forum also.

Thanks mameman - funnily enough I was preparing a post over there as you wrote this..... it is now done smile.gif

QUOTE (Zablon @ Apr 6 2012, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
NICE! Can I has the cardboard version? biggrin.gif lol

lol - I think the wife has burnt it killwithfire.gif , but if I had known...... smile.gif

#5 Tomcat Leader

Tomcat Leader

Back in Sac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

• Flag: Ireland

• Favorite Pinball: F-14 Tomcat

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

Nice cab!

Edited by Tomcat Leader, 06 April 2012 - 04:15 PM.

‎"Compassion hurts. When you feel connected to everything, you also feel responsible for everything. And you cannot turn away. Your destiny is bound with the destinies of others. You must either learn to carry the Universe or be crushed by it. You must grow strong enough to love the world, yet empty enough to sit down at the same table with its worst horrors." - Andrew Boyd