• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Fun House

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:07 PM

Fight Night

Version: 2.1.0
Category: VP 8.x Originals

Author(s): Chris La Mantia

Description:
Fight Night, by Chris La Mantia. Train your boxer and fight your way through ten opponents to become the Champ!
This is Fight Night, my first VP table. This is the latest version, with the high scores, easter eggs, operator ajustments available by pressing END to open the "coin door".

The objective is to win boxing matches. Before you may enter a boxing match, you must have a Promoter, a Trainer, an Opponent, and sufficient Training.

Hit the drop target between the ramp and the left loop to collect the Trainer and the kicker below the left loop to collect the Promoter. Once the promoter is collected spell F-I-G-H-T via the drop targets to collect an Opponent.

Training may not be collected until you have a Trainer. Once you have a Trainer, training is available via jogging the loops, spinning the spinners (Heavy Bag), or entering the Gym (Speed bag). The Gym is located underneath the Boxing Arena, and may be entered through the front door behind the Jet Bumper, or via the back door hidden behind the Boxing Arena. A minimum Training level of 50% (as shown on the Training bargraph) is necessary to enter a boxing match.

Once the necessary Trainer, Promoter, Opponent, and Training are collected, you may enter a boxing match. Knock on the Arena Door to open it, and shoot through the door to enter the Boxing match. The Arena Door is just to the left of the right loop spinner.

Once you enter a fight, after the introductions, the bell will ring and your opponent will emerge from the far corner; you will emerge from the near corner. Use the Arena flippers to punch your ball into the opponent, sending him to the ropes. The Alphanumeric Display will show your strength and your opponent's strength. Your opponent will move around to avoid your punches and throw punches of his own; later opponents will move faster and absorb more punishment than earlier opponents.

You score punches when you knock your opponent back into his corner. Your opponent scores punches against you when he contacts either of the center two retaining posts, or if your ball drains from the ring. If your ball drains while you have strength remaining, you will be launched back into the ring, and a plunger will briefly protect you from immediately draining again.

Full scoring details are available in the rulesheet included in the download. I hope you enjoy Fight Night!

View File

Submitted by Chris L., on Nov 13 2009, 04:07 PM

Edited by Chris L., 14 November 2009 - 03:35 AM.

My tables (Fight Night, Table Skeleton, Wordld's Fair): http://webpages.char.../celamantia/vp/
My jukebox: http://dwjukebox.com

#2 Popotte

Popotte

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 758 posts

• Flag: France

• Favorite Pinball: World Fair

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:24 PM

It was a long time that I've played this so lovely table. It's a pity. Just going to play it again. Thanks!

Les cons ça ose tout. C'est même à ça qu'on les reconnaît.

PopotteDMDredo.gif

#3 FDSystems

FDSystems

Eclectic end-user

• Charter Member
  • 2,476 posts

• Flag: Brazil

• Favorite Pinball: I will have to find out again.............

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:50 PM

One of the best original tables ever.The only one I have modified the script to have it playing five balls & adapt it to my limited skills. boxing.gif boxing.gif boxing.gif
10/10! hi.gif

From Brasil. Updated version of 1234fd

#4 Chris L.

Chris L.

Hobbyist

• VIP
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (1234fd @ Nov 13 2009, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One of the best original tables ever.The only one I have modified the script to have it playing five balls & adapt it to my limited skills. boxing.gif boxing.gif boxing.gif
10/10! hi.gif

You can change the number of balls and skill levels through the operator settings without modifying the script.

OPERATOR ADJUSTMENTS
====================

Several aspects of the table are operator adjustable. When a game is not playing, push End to open the coin door. The left flipper changes from setting to setting, and the right flipper changes the value of the setting. The Start button sets the current value, and End closes the coin door. Available settings are as follows:

Balls per game: 3, 5, or 7 (Default: 3)

Outlanes: Easy, Medium or Hard (Default: Medium)
- Easy: The posts at the top of the outlanes are always up
- Medium: The posts at the top of the outlanes pop up on each new ball, and drop after a fight.
- Hard: The posts at the top of the outlanes are always dropped.

Loop Combos: Easy, Medium or Hard (Default: Medium)
- Easy: You have 3.5 seconds after a loop to hit another loop or ramp for a combo.
- Medium: You have 2.3 seconds after a loop to hit another loop or ramp for a combo.
- Hard: You have 1.8 seconds after a loop to hit another loop or ramp for a combo.

Tilt Sensitivity: None, Low, Medium, or High (Default: Medium)
- If set to None, tilt is disabled. Otherwise, sets the sensitivity of the tilt mechanism.

Skill Shot Value: 25000, 50000, 75000, or 100000 (Default: 50000) multiplied by the ball number.

Light Multiball: Easy, Medium or Hard (Default: Medium)
- Easy: Spell "CHAMP" to light Multiball. "C" is spotted at the beginning of the game.
- Medium: Spell "CHAMPION" to light Multiball. "CH" is spotted at the beginning of the game.
- Hard: Spell "CHAMPION" to light Multiball. No letters are spotted at the beginning of the game.

Light Extra Ball: Easy, Medium or Hard (Default: Medium)
- Easy: Spell "BOXING" to light Extra Ball. "BO" is spotted at the beginning of the game.
- Medium: Spell "KNOCKOUT" to light Extra Ball. "KN" is spotted at the beginning of the game.
- Hard: Spell "KNOCKOUT" to light Extra Ball. No letters are spotted at the beginning of the game.

Ghost Player Skill: Off, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 (Default: 1)
If your location has the same player getting on the high score list over and over again, this setting will occasionally add new artificial high scores to the high score table with random initials. This will add some variety and some challenge for the repeat players. This option is disabled by default; if it is set to a value, higher skill levels will cause ghost scores to appear more often, and the ghost scores will be higher. Note: A ghost will never be the Fight Champ.

Replay Score: 850,000, 1,000,000, 1,200,000, 1,700,000, 2,250,000, 2,750,000, or 3,500,000 (Default: 1,200,000)

Max MBall Restarts: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 (Default: 3)
The number of times a Multiball mode may be restarted by hitting Jackpot within ten seconds. If this value is higher than 1, the last Multiball restart interval will only be five seconds.

Options are also available to reset all operator settings to defaults, and to reset the high score table.

My tables (Fight Night, Table Skeleton, Wordld's Fair): http://webpages.char.../celamantia/vp/

#5 IcePagoda

IcePagoda

Hobbyist

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Taxi

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:52 PM

Lovely! So fun to play again.

Now if we just had Skeleton table 2.0..... wink.gif

#6 akiles50000

akiles50000

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,075 posts

• Flag: Spain

• Favorite Pinball: Ali

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:50 PM

Where can to get the backglass of Fight Night table?

#7 Chris L.

Chris L.

Hobbyist

• VIP
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE (akiles50000 @ Nov 13 2009, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where can to get the backglass of Fight Night table?

Well since it is an original there is no true backglass, but if it was a real table it would look like this:

The art on this backglass comes from three paintings by the talented Leslie Parke: "The Winner", "Knock Out", and "Ring Babe". They are used with her permission. They have been modified slightly to suit my needs; you can see the originals at http://www.leslieparke.com/boxing.html .

Edited by Chris L., 14 November 2009 - 04:27 AM.

#8 Chris L.

Chris L.

Hobbyist

• VIP
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 03:43 AM

I've updated Fight Night to version 2.1, the first update in 5 years. This is by no means a "must-have" update, but playing it with fresh eyes today after some time off I noticed a couple of things that I wanted to adjust.

Specifcally:

- I've changed the mechanism by which the opponent punches the player to use triggers rather than targets and added a debounce timer so the player is not hit several times in succession. Prior to this, the opposing boxer would sometimes "slide" along a pin, registering several hits in an instant making even the easiest opponents tough to fight.
- I've fixed the ring door strobe not shutting off after a fight.
- I've adjusted the Extra Ball kicker and walls around it to make it slightly easier to hit. Before, even direct hits would bounce right out of the kicker.
- I've fixed glitches in backglass art.
- I've added more details to the documentation, especially about Hyping a fight, and added and acknowledgement of Leslie Parke's permission for the use of her paintings on the backglass (Thank you, Leslie!)

--Chris

#9 Joe

Joe

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 2,337 posts

• Favorite Pinball: New Stern ones

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:22 AM

QUOTE (Chris L. @ Nov 13 2009, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've updated Fight Night to version 2.1, the first update in 5 years. This is by no means a "must-have" update, but playing it with fresh eyes today after some time off I noticed a couple of things that I wanted to adjust.

Specifcally:

- I've changed the mechanism by which the opponent punches the player to use triggers rather than targets and added a debounce timer so the player is not hit several times in succession. Prior to this, the opposing boxer would sometimes "slide" along a pin, registering several hits in an instant making even the easiest opponents tough to fight.
- I've adjusted the Extra Ball kicker and walls around it to make it slightly easier to hit. Before, even direct hits would bounce right out of the kicker.
- I've added more details to the documentation, especially about Hyping a fight, and added and acknowledgement of Leslie Parke's permission for the use of her paintings on the backglass (Thank you, Leslie!)

--Chris

cool but the game still needs more speech.

#10 The Loafer

The Loafer

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,468 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Superman, Firepower & Tron

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:08 AM

QUOTE (Joe @ Nov 14 2009, 12:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Chris L. @ Nov 13 2009, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Specifcally:

--Chris

cool but the game still needs more speech.

Hmmm, not sure if I agree. Certainly speech can add to a table but it can also get on the nerves too! Considering the core of this game was released what, 5 years ago? It's still in my top 5 originals and it still entertains as is.

Chris: I have yet to try it so I'm assuming this may not be compatible with VP9 (since most VP8 tables don't work without some tweaks). Although I don't have a pincab, I suspect some of them would love to see a VP9 version of it and truth be told, the more I play with VP9, the less I want to play with VP8. No biggy if there's no update (if it's not compatible), VP8 will still stay installed.

#11 Chris L.

Chris L.

Hobbyist

• VIP
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:32 AM

QUOTE (The Loafer @ Nov 14 2009, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Chris: I have yet to try it so I'm assuming this may not be compatible with VP9 (since most VP8 tables don't work without some tweaks). Although I don't have a pincab, I suspect some of them would love to see a VP9 version of it and truth be told, the more I play with VP9, the less I want to play with VP8. No biggy if there's no update (if it's not compatible), VP8 will still stay installed.

I haven't even looked at VP9 yet. I'd love to build a pincab someday, but right now I've been out of work for 6 months and doing good just to keep my house.

#12 Chris L.

Chris L.

Hobbyist

• VIP
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:50 AM

QUOTE (Chris L. @ Nov 14 2009, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't even looked at VP9 yet. I'd love to build a pincab someday, but right now I've been out of work for 6 months and doing good just to keep my house.

I tried it with VP9; the flippers are invisible, plastics graphics are hosed where they're supposed to be white, the ball passes behind the playfield image in spots, and the timers all seem to be at half speed.

#13 akiles50000

akiles50000

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:03 AM

Thank you very much Chris by the translite

#14 pinnie72

pinnie72

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: Attacks From Mars

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:38 AM

This is my all time favourite original table - love it!
I just saw a slight bug in v2.1.0 (VP8), though - while fighting Herman Glassjaw, the ball fell out of the boxing ring and back into the main playfield. Only the boxing ring flippers were active, so I lost the fight :-(

Edit - Just happened again. When Herman got a lucky punch in and the ball fell between the boxing ring flippers, it got relaunched to the right hand side of the ring, then fell out from the arena entrance again.

Edited by pinnie72, 14 November 2009 - 10:40 AM.

#15 cyberk30

cyberk30

Enthusiast

• Charter Member
  • 75 posts

• Favorite Pinball: All

• PS3 Gamer Tag: cyberk31
  • 360 Gamer Tag: cyberk30

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (Chris L. @ Nov 14 2009, 12:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Chris L. @ Nov 14 2009, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tried it with VP9; the flippers are invisible, plastics graphics are hosed where they're supposed to be white, the ball passes behind the playfield image in spots, and the timers all seem to be at half speed.

Fight Night 2.1 I was having issues with on my pincab but Fight Night 2.0 plays well on full screen on my pin cab with the newest version of VP9. I just wish I new how to rotate the score sad.gif

#16 destruk

destruk

VPF Veteran

• VPF Staff
  • 6,307 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Ultrapin!

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (Chris L. @ Nov 13 2009, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1 - flippers invisible
solution - click the flipper, correct the offset height and width.
reason - these settings don't appear in vp8, so it doesn't initialize the values to what they should be, recommended values would be 8 and 34

2 - Plastics graphics transparency issue
solution - open image manager and change the transparency color - white for the apron with a white instruction card isn't a bright idea
reason - vp9 allows top mapped image transparency now, for this table you'll need to change the transparent color for the plastics image and the apron image if it's used

3 - Ball passing behind objects that aren't visible
solution - change your kicker types from "kicker hidden" to "kicker invisible"
reason - rendering changes cause that glitch with kicker hidden types. This issue will be corrected in the next release of VP

4 - Timers or gameplay appears 'slower' than it is supposed to be
solution - check hardwarerender on the options pane for the table, save the table, close the table and/or vp, reopen the table and test
reason - hardwarerendering is much faster if your system can support it.

You can also increase speed, and prevent a possible rendering problem on some cards, by checking 'flipbook animation' for the ringgirl walls. That will prevent vp from rendering the walls when they are in a dropped state.

Build a fire, vipers love the heat.

#17 akiles50000

akiles50000

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:20 PM

Destruk in my Medieval pinball virtual works perfect the table only there ia a problem that I donīt see the DMD.Which the solution because I donīt find Hidden=0

#18 Chris L.

Chris L.

Hobbyist

• VIP
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (pinnie72 @ Nov 14 2009, 04:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just saw a slight bug in v2.1.0 (VP8), though - while fighting Herman Glassjaw, the ball fell out of the boxing ring and back into the main playfield. Only the boxing ring flippers were active, so I lost the fight :-(

Edit - Just happened again. When Herman got a lucky punch in and the ball fell between the boxing ring flippers, it got relaunched to the right hand side of the ring, then fell out from the arena entrance again.

I can't imagine how that is happening.. I'll check it out Thank you!

#19 Chris L.

Chris L.

Hobbyist

• VIP
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (Chris L. @ Nov 14 2009, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (pinnie72 @ Nov 14 2009, 04:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't imagine how that is happening.. I'll check it out Thank you!

Can you see exactly where it is falling from? Is it going into the arena drain and then coming out the door like it is the end of a fight, or disappearing somewhere and rolling out the front door at a slow speed?

I have added code to re-launch the ball into the ring if it hits the main table drain while a fight is in progress, but obviously this is not a solution. I could not duplicate the problem though... I had to remove the ring ropes temporarily.

Are you nudging when this happens?

Thanks for your help!

QUOTE (destruk @ Nov 14 2009, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Chris L. @ Nov 13 2009, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1 - flippers invisible
solution - click the flipper, correct the offset height and width.
reason - these settings don't appear in vp8, so it doesn't initialize the values to what they should be, recommended values would be 8 and 34

2 - Plastics graphics transparency issue
solution - open image manager and change the transparency color - white for the apron with a white instruction card isn't a bright idea
reason - vp9 allows top mapped image transparency now, for this table you'll need to change the transparent color for the plastics image and the apron image if it's used

3 - Ball passing behind objects that aren't visible
solution - change your kicker types from "kicker hidden" to "kicker invisible"
reason - rendering changes cause that glitch with kicker hidden types. This issue will be corrected in the next release of VP

4 - Timers or gameplay appears 'slower' than it is supposed to be
solution - check hardwarerender on the options pane for the table, save the table, close the table and/or vp, reopen the table and test
reason - hardwarerendering is much faster if your system can support it.

You can also increase speed, and prevent a possible rendering problem on some cards, by checking 'flipbook animation' for the ringgirl walls. That will prevent vp from rendering the walls when they are in a dropped state.

Thank you very much! If I make these changes in VP9, will it still work in VP8, or do I need to maintain two versions?

#20 Chris L.

Chris L.

Hobbyist

• VIP
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:22 PM

Wow... fixing the flippers also fixed the timing and the "passing behind the playfield", so those little tweaks seem to make it work perfectly in VP9.