Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Theatre of Magic

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:59 PM

Okay, I've been beat.

I had VP 8.1 installed, along with an old version of pinmame (not sure what version, may have been as old as 1.12, or as new as 1.58). Tables from that install worked just fine.

Just recently decided it was time to do some upgrades. Installed VP 9.02 and VPM 2.1. Grabbed a VP9 table, Theatre of Magic. Had a very low sound issue, which it took some playing to figure out ('end' to open door, then 7 and 8 to raise/lower volume). Now it works great, as do a couple of other 'newer' type tables that I grabbed.....Twilight Zone and Attack From Mars.

BUT....I just attempted to play a couple of older tables, namely the VP9 version of Dracula (stern, '79) in the downloads, and the VP8 table of Playboy ('78). They PLAY, but there is no sound other than the plain flipper/plunger sounds. No musical tunes in Playboy. No other electronic type sounds in either games.

If I go into the Pinmame setup (install) program and run the test, I can tell from Playboy startup that the sounds don't work. But if I uninstall PM and install the very old 1.12 version, the test does play the startup tune in Playboy. Any ideas??? Why would sound play fine in newer machines, but not the late 70s type?????

#2 Noah Fentz

Noah Fentz

'Rasslin' Fan

• VPF Administrator
  • 12,190 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Whitewater

• PS3 Gamer Tag: noahfentz

Contributor

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:02 PM

Have you tried using sound samples in the F1 menu or using computer sounds in the F6 menu?

IdleReel.gif RumbleDMD.jpg HS2-DMD.jpg SBM.jpg ww_logo.jpg EK.jpg

T2.jpg Sorcerer.jpg Breakshot.jpg Firepower.jpg GorGar.jpg StarTrek.jpg

My Photobucket Resources
Whether You Believe You Can, Or You Can't, You Are Right." - Henry Ford
The future of pinball lives, it just needs to be nurtured!
If you're here to stab me in the back, you're going to have to get in line.

#3 scapino

scapino

Enthusiast

• VIP
  • 331 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Cirqus Voltaire

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:19 PM

You need the sound sample file for those old Bally tables. The sounds arent emulated yet.
Download the samples zip file from here, and place it zipped into the samples folder where VPMame is installed.

Kurt
My re-creations are...

Visual Pinball: RoundUp, Swinger.

Visual PinMAME: Mata Hari, Star Trek, Close Encounters, CountDown, Fireball Classic, CFTBL, Eight Ball, Twilight Zone, Xenon, Cirqus Voltaire, Playboy,Operation Thunder, Fathom, Strikes & Spares, Evel Knievel, Flash Gordon, Future Spa, SuperSonic and Eight Ball Champ.

Future Pinball: Close Encounters, Eight Ball Champ.

Get them at...
Posted Image
http://www.scapinosvpins.com

#4 destruk

destruk

VPF Veteran

• VPF Staff
  • 6,307 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Ultrapin!

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:24 PM

VPM 1.2 had the sounds emulated, but it never sounded as authentic as the actual sample wav files, so we will keep using wav files in future releases until if/when/until the emulation ever improves for them.

Build a fire, vipers love the heat.