#1 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,025 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Monster Bash

Posted 22 July 2016 - 04:55 AM

So I was playing around with Pinball FX2 (Steam version to work with PinballX) and thought this lacks some pizzazz.  In a fit of madness I decided to write some code to make the flippers fire, some fixed button LEDs come on and RGB under cabinet have some life.  Now that I have it working, I thought I'd share with anyone interested.

Edit: Since I started this little project its grown a lot.  There is now logic to provide flipper force feedback for FP and VP tables that have not been DOF'ed using simple flag files, you can send messages form other batch, VB Script or applications to trigger colours and outputs, plus a lot more.

Here's the deal:

- DOF R3 (beta) framework only

- LEDWiz (upto 9 boards) + SainSmart relay board + PacLed64 (upto 4 boards) + KL25Z

- Pinball FX2 Steam version

- Flipper keys can be assigned

- Multiple fixed outputs can be turned on, ie button LEDs, relays, toys

- multiple RGB outputs can be setup

- RGB can be set to various patterns and triggers

- Subsets of colours can be set for differenet FX2 games

- Uses standard DOF colours

- Can be used for more than just Pinball FX2, now monitoring multiple processes

- Set keys to trigger output devices

- Set keys to trigger new RGB colours

- Messages can be sent from batch and script files to trigger outputs and RGBs

The idea is that the program runs (hidden) all the time.  It consumes SFA resources.  It "comes to life" when a "Pinball FX2" (or other defined processes, ie Pinball Arcade, FP, VP) process is active.  It goes back to "sleep" when the PInball FX2 (or other) process goes away.  When it goes back to sleep it turns off all DOF outputs.  As such, there is no need to start it up via your menu and stop it on exit - you could, but don't need to.  Its designed to have a shortcut placed in the Startup folder.

I'm running it with PinballX and multiple versions of VP.  It happily coexists.

What to do to try this ....

- Ensure you have DOF R3 installed and running

- download the zip

- Place the exe and ini files in your DirectOutput folder - that's the one with DirectOutput.dll, LedWiz.dll and ftd2xx.dll in it

- read the guide

- Edit the DOFFX2.ini file for your setup

- Place a shortcut to DOFFX2.exe in your startup list

- reboot

- have fun

- report back how it works for you

You can run it in DEBUG mode by setting the DEBUG line in the ini file to 1, DEBUG=1.  This will make the window visible and allow you to see what's happening, as well as fake a valid running process for testing purposes.  If you press the Debug off button the window hides and you can keep running.  The program can run in DEBUG mode and operate normally - you will just be able to see the window and get a very big DOFFX2.log file.  If you run in DEBUG then stop, feel free to just delete the DOFFX2.log file.

WARNING - I feel obliged to say, while all care has been taken, and I'm running this myself, any risk is yours.  I've added maximum timers to stop contactors / solenoids accidentally being left on (not that this should be needed) - just saying.

The ZIP is here ... (Link removed as V3 is released as DOFLinx)

Edited by DDH69, 17 September 2016 - 06:47 AM.

DOFLinx
Contributions for equipment to help with ongoing DOFLinx development can be made here

#2 Slydog43

Slydog43

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,006 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Addams Family, All Williams 90's Games

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:27 PM

wow this should be huge, can't wait to try it out.  Thanks

#3 randr

randr

I'm just a hardware guy so...

• VIP
  • 2,650 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:22 PM

Agreed I will give this a try if it is truly working would be huuuuge! I might even play a fx2 game more then 1 ball if dof worked ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

randr___pinball.png                         

#4 doogie2301

doogie2301

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Funhouse

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:54 PM

OK I gave it a shot, it seems to be detecting FX2 running and the flipper key presses, but I'm getting a .NET null reference error.

Error details:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at DOFFX2.MainForm.DOF_Fixed_Outputs()
   at DOFFX2.MainForm.FX2Startup()
   at DOFFX2.MainForm.SteamTimer_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) 

Debug log:

23-Jul-16 08:46:43 - DOF for Pinball FX2 - DOFFX2 by DDH69
23-Jul-16 08:46:43 - Starting up - version 1.0
23-Jul-16 08:46:44 - Reading config details
23-Jul-16 08:46:44 - Reading DOF config file
23-Jul-16 08:46:45 - FX2 process detected and startup commenced
23-Jul-16 08:46:45 - Turning on fixed out Device=1 Output=2
23-Jul-16 08:46:46 - FX2 process detected and startup commenced
23-Jul-16 08:46:46 - Turning on fixed out Device=1 Output=2
23-Jul-16 08:46:46 - Left flipper pressed
23-Jul-16 08:46:46 - Left flipper lifted
23-Jul-16 08:46:47 - FX2 process detected and startup commenced
23-Jul-16 08:46:47 - Turning on fixed out Device=1 Output=2
23-Jul-16 08:46:47 - Right flipper pressed
23-Jul-16 08:46:47 - Right flipper lifted
23-Jul-16 08:46:48 - FX2 process detected and startup commenced
23-Jul-16 08:46:48 - Turning on fixed out Device=1 Output=2
23-Jul-16 08:46:49 - FX2 process detected and startup commenced
23-Jul-16 08:46:49 - Turning on fixed out Device=1 Output=2
23-Jul-16 08:46:50 - FX2 process detected and startup commenced
23-Jul-16 08:46:50 - Turning on fixed out Device=1 Output=2

Edited by doogie2301, 23 July 2016 - 12:58 PM.

#5 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:28 PM

doogie2301 please post or PM me your DOFFX2.ini file.  It looks like its failing in turning on the fixed outputs you have setup (The BUTTONS_ON= line).  Also let me know which fixed outputs (ie button LEDs you are trying to turn on).  Even if you edit this area in the ini file and get it working please send me your ini file when in error so that I can accommodate whatever is causing this.

Clearly its too fragile in this area and I will add more error checking in that in a future version.

We'll get you running.

DOFLinx
Contributions for equipment to help with ongoing DOFLinx development can be made here

#6 doogie2301

doogie2301

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 02:05 AM

OK I changed it to 0 because I only have solenoids, no leds.  I still get the same error in LeftDOF() and RightDOF() though when the flippers are pressed.  Here is the ini file:

# location of your standard DOF outut configuration file
DIRECTOUTPUTCONFIG=c:\DirectOutput\config\directoutputconfig40.ini

# What LEDWiz output for the flipper solenoids / contactors
L_FLIPPER_OUTPUT=106
R_FLIPPER_OUTPUT=105
# The keyboard hex code for the key that is used for each flipper from https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd375731(v=vs.85).aspx
# Left Shift = A0, Right Shift = A1
L_FLIPPER_KEY=A0
R_FLIPPER_KEY=A1
# Just in case things go wrong (ie no keyup signal is detected, what is the maximum time a flipper solenoid / contactor can be in in milliseconds
MAX_FLIPPER_ON=5000

# What LEDWiz output(s) are used for RGB devices.  Just enter the Red output number.  Multiples can be entered seperated by a space
RGB_OUTPUT=0
# Rainbow - cycle through the colours, Random - pick a random next colour, A colour name as it appears in the DirectOutputConfig.ini file
RGB_STYLE=RAINBOW
# What changes the colour?  Time - set time period, Flipper = flipper press after the RGB_TRIGGER minimum time (to stop rapid colour changes)
RGB_TRIGGER=FLIPPER
# Dependent on trigger selection the period between changes or the minimum time for change between flipper flips
RGB_MIN_TIME=1000

# The button(s) to turn on when FX2 starts, ie the exit button LED
BUTTONS_ON=0

# 0 = OFF (normal operation), 1 = ON - When ON a window will appear and a log file will be created in the EXE directory.
DEBUG=1

#7 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 05:20 AM

I believe the programmer ran out of talent while making the first version  :coffee1:

Version 1.1 is now linked at the top of this thread.  Version 1.0 was definitely flawed.  I suspect my single LEDWiz setup with the board having ID#0, alog with a bit of luck, hid a number of coding issues.

doogie2301 please stick with me and try the new version.  It will report the ID # of the unit and prove / disprove my theory.  It also has a lot more error checking and logging.  I have found a couple of areas where assumptions about ID#'s would make things fail as you've seen and I've fixed those up.  Hopefully I've got it right, but its hard to test.  IF things fail again I'll have more info to chase down.

My son tried it today and thought the added flipper sounds and some lighting effects made Plants Vs Zombies better to play.  Of course he then went on to ask why the jets and slingshots weren't making sounds..... my answer "because they don't"  :P

DOFLinx

#8 doogie2301

doogie2301

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 01:56 PM

Sorry, my bad, I didn't notice that this was for LEDWiz only, and I'm using a SainSmart relay (FT245R controller).  The clue was that there was no "Initializing LEDWiz #" in the log, and I see in the Start_LedWiz() m​ethod it's using the LedWiz class.  It seems the DOF code abstracts the type of device using a common interface, maybe in a future version you can find a way to leverage that instead of referencing LedWiz directly?  https://directoutput...controller.html

#9 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:52 PM

Sorry, my bad, I didn't notice that this was for LEDWiz only, and I'm using a SainSmart relay (FT245R controller).  The clue was that there was no "Initializing LEDWiz #" in the log, and I see in the Start_LedWiz() m​ethod it's using the LedWiz class.  It seems the DOF code abstracts the type of device using a common interface, maybe in a future version you can find a way to leverage that instead of referencing LedWiz directly?  https://directoutput...controller.html

Thanks doogie230, I'll PM you.

DOFLinx

#10 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:39 AM

Well thanks to doogie2301's assistance DOFFX2 now has support for SainSmart (FTDI) controller as well.  Some final testing is still to be being done, but in the mean time (because it fixes stuff for LEDWiz too), Version 1.2 with SainSmart support has been loaded in the first link in this thread.

The small additions are:

• You can set DOFFX2 to exit as you quit Pinball FX2 if you want.  This allows you to start it from your menu (ie PinballX) and have it finish as you return to PinBallX.  Given that DOFFX2 is written to run all the time, this option is not required, it just gives you an option to run it in a different way.
  • A series of keys can be set to turn on DOF outputs while pressed.  I like this because I can make my illuminated buttons light up when you press them during Pinball FX2.  The button may not be set to actually do anything, but it makes it all more interactive.  This feature can turn on multiple outputs from one key if required.

Full details are in the update notes included in the zip.

DOFLinx

#11 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,819 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Too many to choose...

Contributor

Posted 31 July 2016 - 01:56 AM

Will definitely give this a try! HOT DAMN!

I just got my DOF lighting and feedback up and running on my cabinet too!

#12 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,819 posts

Contributor

Posted 31 July 2016 - 03:11 AM

Well, I gave this a real quick test, and it works GREAT! My flippers are alive now, and I see my RGB leds strips changing.

My cabinet is running with an XBOX 360 gamepad controlling all the buttons, so I couldn't use the keyboard commands on their own to trigger anything. So I had to use Pinnacle Game Profiler to map the shift keys to my flipper buttons (LB,RB on the gamepad). I'm surprised that this works fine without any double-keying in PFX2.

Would it be possible to have some sort of gampad button support to trigger things, not just keyboard keys? I chose an xbox360 gamepad that I hacked to buttons because everything works natively with it. (I play PC and arcade games on my cab as well)

Alot of people use a "gamepad" type of controller in their pinball cabinets, combined with x360ce to make their controller work with PFX2 and TPA.

EDIT: I found this link. Maybe it could be helpful?

https://msdn.microso...d(v=vs.85).aspx

Force Feedback Triggers Slingshots and Bumpers:

Another thing that would make this complete, would be the possibility of being able to intercept the "force feedback" triggers of a gamepad (by software) and use that to trigger the solenoids & leds!  You see, in PFX2 and TPA, the slingshots and bumpers make the force feedback motors in an xbox360 gamepad vibrate! I've seen people wire up the motor outputs to an arduino to switch relays to trigger solenoids.

Maybe by using xbox360ce, you could make those calls to a force feedback motor work for this somehow?

Edit: Also found this link. Maybe it could be helpful for this?

https://msdn.microso...n(v=vs.85).aspx

I'm not a programmer, so I don't really know how to program any of this....but I thought some ideas might be good to throw out there....

Anyways...with profiling / mapping software, one could get creative with this!   I could have the "launch ball button" trigger my beacon while the button is held down, and then trigger my blower fan when the button is released. This way i get the effect as soon as the ball is shot, etc...

How can I know what "key" number is which.? (31="1" on the keyboard) Is there someplace I can find what the equivalent key / numbers are for the entire keyboard?

EDIT: Doh, you had the answer in the .ini file!

Excellent work here! I'm very excited to see what can be done with this!

Edited by TerryRed, 31 July 2016 - 03:52 AM.

#13 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 04:28 AM

Thanks TerryRed, glad to hear you're getting some enjoyment from it.  I didn't know that FX2 gave feedback to the XBox controller.  I'll certainly look into that more, you are correct, perhaps a way to intercept something for force feedback.  I've never used an XBox controller, so some reading to do.

DOFLinx

#14 gamefixer

gamefixer

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 575 posts

• Favorite Pinball: BK2K

• PS3 Gamer Tag: gamefixer
  • 360 Gamer Tag: gamefixer

Posted 31 July 2016 - 04:29 AM

you just cost me a bunch of money.... :(

In buying a bunch of FX2 games. :)

This is awesome news. Now all we need is real DMD support and its go time!

#15 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,819 posts

Contributor

Posted 31 July 2016 - 04:44 AM

Thanks TerryRed, glad to hear you're getting some enjoyment from it.  I didn't know that FX2 gave feedback to the XBox controller.  I'll certainly look into that more, you are correct, perhaps a way to intercept something for force feedback.  I've never used an XBox controller, so some reading to do.

Even if you don't have an actual xbox360 controller, the program xbox360ce allows almost ANY controller to "translate" its controls to look like its an xbox360 controller as far as PFX2 is concerned. It just creates an xinput1_3.dll file that you put into the PFX2 folder. After that PFX2 thinks your controller is an xbox360 gamepad.

I do believe this is how people with Pinscape, and some I-Pac controllers that are configured as gamepads, are able to get their controllers to work with PFX2.

This is awesome news. Now all we need is real DMD support and its go time!

There already is real DMD support for PFX2 and TPA!  Look up a little program called DMD Extensions (dmdext), right here in VPforums I do believe! Some reading to make you happy....

http://www.vpforums....34468&hl=dmdext

https://github.com/f.../dmd-extensions

Edited by TerryRed, 31 July 2016 - 04:45 AM.

#16 gamefixer

gamefixer

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 575 posts

• Favorite Pinball: BK2K

• PS3 Gamer Tag: gamefixer
  • 360 Gamer Tag: gamefixer

Posted 31 July 2016 - 04:57 AM

OH GOOD GRIEF!!! Do I have reading and whatnot to do now! AWESOME!

#17 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:08 AM

Yes I did the same.  I bought 3 x packs and about 6 weeks into FX2 have about 20ish games running via PinBallX menu with my new little utility.  Don't get me wrong, I love VP and real pinball, but FX2 is just a fantasy laugh when I'm feel frivolous - so why shouldn't it be as good as it can be!

DOFLinx

#18 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,819 posts

Contributor

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:31 AM

Ok, so I have found a possible bug.

I can't have more than one KEY_TO_OUTPUT set for the RGB LED strip outputs (15 total, 5 flashers). If I assign any one of them to a key, it works fine....but if I assign two or more RGB outputs to their own key (separate strips), I get a crash with an error like "Parameter data failed for KEY_TO_OUTPUT".

I can assign all the other outputs at the same time no problem...just not the RGB outputs.

I also tried with, and without my RGB_OUTPUT being set to those outputs with the same result.

Is this by design, or a bug?

Also, you should consider making a version of this program that can run on its own without having to detect "anything". That way LED-Wiz outputs could easily be used for other programs via key presses, including The Pinball Arcade!

I could do some fun stuff with MAME and PC games with this.

Edited by TerryRed, 31 July 2016 - 06:38 AM.

#19 DDH69

DDH69

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:39 AM

TerryRed, At present 10 pairs of KEY_TO_OUTPUT= is the maximum supported.  If I understand you are trying 20 pairs?  Perhaps PM me the DOFFX2.INI file you are trying to setup and I'll take a look.

I could easily add a flag (ie FORCE_ACTIVE=1) to make it active from startup to shutdown, is that what you are suggesting?  It would be like running it in DEBUG with "Fake Steam" on.

DOFLinx

#20 TerryRed

TerryRed

Pinball Fan

• Silver Supporter
  • 1,819 posts

Contributor

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:57 AM

TerryRed, At present 10 pairs of KEY_TO_OUTPUT= is the maximum supported.  If I understand you are trying 20 pairs?  Perhaps PM me the DOFFX2.INI file you are trying to setup and I'll take a look.

Here's the *.ini file:

####
# The config file for FX2DOF
# A mad idea by DDH69 to have some flipper sounds, RGB display and turn buttons on when playing Pinball FX2 via Steam
# Note - this works with LEDWiz and Sainsmart (FTDI devices)
#
# Output devices outputs are entered in the format of
# device (D) and output number (#) in the format D##, so controller device 1 and output 3 is "103" without the quotes, controller board 2 output 23 is "223" without quotes
####

# location of your standard DOF outut configuration file
DIRECTOUTPUTCONFIG=c:\DirectOutput\config\directoutputconfig.ini

# Which DOF Controller output for the flipper solenoids / contactors
L_FLIPPER_OUTPUT=101
R_FLIPPER_OUTPUT=102
# The keyboard hex code for the key that is used for each flipper from https://msdn.microso...1(v=vs.85).aspx
# [ = DB, ] = DD
L_FLIPPER_KEY=DB
R_FLIPPER_KEY=DD
# Just in case things go wrong (ie no keyup signal is detected, flipper held down for a long time), what is the maximum time a flipper solenoid / contactor can be in in milliseconds
MAX_FLIPPER_ON=5000

# What LEDWiz output(s) are used for RGB devices.  Just enter the Red output number.  Multiples can be entered seperated by a space
RGB_OUTPUT=117 120 123 126 129
# Rainbow - cycle through the colours, Random - pick a random next colour, A colour name as it appears in the DirectOutputConfig.ini file
RGB_STYLE=RANDOM
# What changes the colour?  Time - set time period, Flipper = flipper press after the RGB_TRIGGER minimum time (to stop rapid colour changes)
RGB_TRIGGER=FLIPPER
# Dependent on trigger selection the period between changes or the minimum time for change between flipper flips
RGB_MIN_TIME=1000

# The button(s) to turn on when FX2 starts, ie the exit button LED
BUTTONS_ON=113 115
#BUTTONS_ON=

# Make the "1" (31) key pulse LEDWiz 120 etc, Beacon=BA ( ;), Strobe=DE ("), Fan=BC (,), OutLeftLED=54 (T), LeftLED=59 (Y), CenterLED=55 (U), RightLED=49 (I), OuterRightLED=4F (O)

KEY_TO_OUTPUT=BA 132 DE 116 BC 111 54 129 59 126 55 123 49 120 4F 117

# If you want the program to stop when Pinball FX2 stops then set this to 1.  If you want it to run in the background all the time leave it as 0
QUIT_AFTER_FX2=0

# 0 = OFF (normal operation), 1 = ON - When ON a window will appear and a log file will be created in the EXE directory.
DEBUG=1

The line  KEY_TO_OUTPUT=BA 132 DE 116 BC 111 54 129 59 126 55 123 49 120 4F 117 is the problem.

From  BA 132 DE 116 BC 111 54 129 is fine, but anything entered after that (59 126 55 123 49 120 4F 117) is the issue.

I could easily add a flag (ie FORCE_ACTIVE=1) to make it active from startup to shutdown, is that what you are suggesting?  It would be like running it in DEBUG with "Fake Steam" on.

Yes, this is the idea! It would allow this program to be used by anything! It would allow people to use DOF (within the limitations of this program) for The Pinball Arcade, or other PC Games, emulators, outside of Pincab use as well.

That would be awesome, because with a game mapper like Pinnacle Game Profiler, you can get creative with this.    (Setting Zones for stick AXIS as an example)

I tried real quick and have PFX2 set so that if I pull the plunger only a little, the beacon comes on....pull about 2/3, the strobes and beacon are on... pull it all the way to max and my beacons, strobes and blower fan go off.   Seems silly, but this is the kind of things kids would love with PFX2.   I'd love to get a shaker now for this! 

I originally was trying to get the 5 RGB flashers to progressively light up red from left to right while I pull the plunger...and that's when I found this issue with KEY_TO_OUTPUT.

Hope this is helpful!

Edited by TerryRed, 31 July 2016 - 07:59 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LEDWiz DOF, DOF, FX2, PinBall FX2, LEDWiz