pincade

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

• Flag: Italy

• Favorite Pinball: tom

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:38 PM

Ok, since I'm really tired of people that makes comments on my table or writes me PM saying that in my tables "plunger don't even launch the ball" or "the ball doesn't move at all" I've decided to create this topic to make a final clarification on how to use BAM.

PREAMBLE

Default Future Pinball has a terrifying physic and without BAM I would definitely switched to Visual Pinball.Fortunately in 10 years things are changed and now we can play with a realistic physic that in my opinion has not yet been fully exploited and explored.
Personally with my Custom Physic tables I exclude every FP1.0 Player, Traditionalist and Stuffists, they got tons of old table to play! (little tip: BAM is not only a new way of rendering tables but even a Physic Switcher)

WHAT YOU NEED TO PLAY A ZED OR CUSTOM PHYSIC TABLE

-A clean new installation of FP (save Tables folder) you can choose any version, personally I use 2.6 because don't want watermark in my cabinet (no moralism please Chris has abandoned FP years ago) and doesn't create me problems.

- Tables Built for a specified physic: All tables with Custom or Zed physic has a tablename.fpt and a tablename.zip (in some cases is tablename.fpt and tablename.xml)

CONFIGURATION

Install BAM (2 ways: if you have chosen the Setup.exe install in the Future Pinball root directory ,normally C:\Games\Future Pinball. If you've chosen the .rar unpack the BAM Folder in your Future Pinball root directory) 

- Now you should have a directory like this "C:\Games\Future Pinball\BAM"

- Copy the default.xml file in the ...\Future Pinball\BAM folder, this file is used by BAM as a default physic in order to make you play old 1.0physic tables with the oringial FP old physic (for Zed and Custom Physic tables BAM will use the xml provided by table creator inside a zip that is stored in the same folder of the table, excluding default.xml)

This is how a perfect FP installation Folder should be
image.jpg
and this is how the BAM folder should be:
FPBAM.jpg
TESTING AND PLAYING NOW

-Start Future Pinball Via BAM (with FPLoader.exe located in ...\Future Pinball\BAM\FPLoader.exe

-Load a Custom Physic or Zed Table and once in game press "Q" . 
In the lower right of the screen BAM shows the physic in use for this table 
(For Example, if you are playing with MytableZED it will show ...\Future Pinball\Tables\MytableZED.xml) so you know that you are playing with the right physic
If there is no an xml file with the exact same name of the table, BAM will use default.xml physic (this happens for old tables with original physic) 

USING 2.4, 2.5, 2.6 TABLES:

You don't need no more a different FP version for this kind of tables, they are simple tables with no provided xml files because they takes automatically physic integrated in FP.exe, but now since you don't have 3 or 5 version of FP you need to copy a (2.5,2.6,2.7)xml file and rename with the same name of the table.
EXAMPLE: if you download Bad Cats ULTIMATE 1.10 Physics 2.6 you know that is a 2.6 physic table so by copying this table in the Future Pinball table folder you'll not have any xml named as the table and BAM will use original FP physic and table will play really bad.

WHERE YOU CAN FIND THE 2.5, 2.6,2.7...XML FILES? 
IN ...Future Pinball\BAM\XML Folder, if this XML folder is empty DOWNLOAD THIS and insert all the xml contained in this zip to your ...Future Pinball\BAM\XML Folder

HOW TO CREATE THE RIGHT XML FOR THESE TABLES?
Go In  ...Future Pinball\BAM\XML, copy the right Physic (2.6 in the example) in the Table Folder and rename it in  Bad Cats ULTIMATE 1.10 Physics 2.6.xml

So now in ...Future Pinball\Tables\ you have  Bad Cats ULTIMATE 1.10 Physics 2.6.fpl and  Bad Cats ULTIMATE 1.10 Physics 2.6.xml
You need to do this for all these kind of tables (2.4,2.5,2.6,2.7....) If you think that is too much work stay away from Visual Pinball and go buy a real Pinball!

Remember that you can always check if you have the right physic by pressing "Q"

CONCLUSION

if you have followed this guide step by step now you know that you can play every kind of table with only one .exe file and in a simple way.Keep FP Alive by supporting natural evolution!

LITTLE TIPS: (updating)
BAM Currently uses only 1 physic per session so:
if you load a default 1.0 FP Physic table it plays with the correct physic, but if you load a second table with another physic, pressing Play for the first table will load with the second (latest)table loaded.
Solution:
Every table you want to play, close FP and restart it

Playfield is black or white and the image is not loaded:
Solution:
Many tables uses High res texture that exceed memory bandwith: Go to Preferences/Editor and  UNCHECK Load Image into Table editor
as in the image below:
editor.jpg

BASIC BAM CONFIGURATION FOR CABINET

First of all

- Go in Future Pinball \ BAM \ cfg Folder and delete all the files inside.

DOWNLOAD this configuration

- Copy downloaded file in  C:\...Future Pinball \ BAM \ cfg

- Start Future Pinball and press File\New (default new table will open)

- In Future Pinball editor under Preferences\Video Rendering Option check the "Arcade Mode" and set the Rotation to 270 or 90 (depends on your monitor) as showed in the pic below:

gfxset.jpg

- Now you can press "Play Table" button and once in game press "Q" to set the Bam Option, press "Config" and "Save as default" (check the pics)

BAM1.jpg

Bam2.jpg

From now all the tables (old and new) will be loaded with the same view\rendering settings, but every time you edit a single table BAM will alter only that single table you edited.

Obviously this configuration is only a base, because table dimensions and monitor could be different, 

Tell me if you have problem

Edited by pincade, 18 August 2015 - 11:27 AM.

#2 paulkyriakides

paulkyriakides

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

• Flag: South Africa

• Favorite Pinball: Attack from Mars

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:23 AM

Hi Pincade

Thank you im going to give this a try

Where do I place  Default FP 1.0 xml file

#3 pincade

pincade

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 10:42 AM

Inside bam folder

#4 paulkyriakides

paulkyriakides

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

• Flag: South Africa

• Favorite Pinball: Attack from Mars

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:23 AM

thank you I just tried buccaneer after a long leave of absence with future pinball and it rocks.

The table looks really nice and physics are a lot better than I remember.

I have been playing vp in my cabinet for over 2 years.

I started with fp but abandoned it because of physics.

My favourite game is road girls is there an improved physics version of this table  

Hi Pincade

I tried 2.6 just now but my PC just freezes half way through the load do you perhaps know why?

#5 Outhere

Outhere

Pinball Wizard

• Platinum Supporter
  • 4,720 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: M M

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:51 PM

Try lower settings under preferences / video

#6 parabolic

parabolic

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 225 posts

• Favorite Pinball: revenge from mars

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for taking the time to build this "guide". Ill be trying it out on my cab soon.

Parabolic Technologies - 3D printers and 3D design printing

"Transforming YOUR Ideas into a Reality!"

[email protected]

https://www.facebook...f_type=bookmark

#7 JAM0

JAM0

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

• Flag: Spain

• Favorite Pinball: Fathom, Elvira

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:45 PM

Hi Pincade

I tried 2.6 just now but my PC just freezes half way through the load do you perhaps know why?

The 2.6.exe that has the future pinball watermark removed crashes like that. Try the other one (the one with the watermark intact).

#8 pincade

pincade

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 06:10 PM

IF FP (2.6 or original) CRASHES:
Try to start FPloader as administrator and set Future pinball. exe to start always as administrator

Edited by pincade, 24 May 2015 - 07:08 PM.

#9 parabolic

parabolic

Enthusiast

• Silver Supporter
  • 225 posts

• Favorite Pinball: revenge from mars

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:43 PM

curious - where do you find 2.6 or 2.7? 

Parabolic Technologies - 3D printers and 3D design printing

"Transforming YOUR Ideas into a Reality!"

[email protected]

https://www.facebook...f_type=bookmark

#10 The Loafer

The Loafer

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,468 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Superman, Firepower & Tron

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:48 PM

This isn't a moral question I am bringing up, but the rules of this site state "don't talk about hacks, don't share links of hacks".  It's perfectly ok to talk about the BAM physics handling of 2.5, 2.6 or 2.7 but don't go in the direction of the actual modified exe's please.  Failure to understand this could lead to removal of this most excellent thread and that would suck totally.

I can't stress enough that I am not trying to rain on any parades, I can appreciate why some thinks it's ok, I'm just reminding that no matter what you, I or anyone else thinks, this site has rules and not to forget that.

Thanks

Edited by The Loafer, 24 May 2015 - 07:54 PM.

#11 pincade

pincade

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:38 AM

The Loafer is right.

I don't agree with the concept, since original author transformed this freeware in abandonware 5 years ago and he's obviously no more interested in FP anymore

but

In a forum perspective a rule is always a law and need respect.

Thanx The Loafer

#12 Talantyyr

Talantyyr

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

• Flag: Austria

• Favorite Pinball: Monster Bash

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:23 AM

Hey pincade,

Nice guide, i'm currently configuring FP and i took your guide as reference. Thank you for taking the time and explaining FP noobs like me how to install it. It's way more complicated than i have imagined :)

But there are a few things missing.

You didn't mention anything about bam setting (like activating new renderer)

.) What is the difference between New Renderer 1 / 2?

.) Does one have to enable "new renderer" specifically for each table? 

.) For ALL tables? if not, how can one find out which table requires new renderer. 

.) What is Arcade mode in bam settings. Theres Reality  /Stereo3D. Is this just for head tracking or does this enable something else?

.) What is post process? What settings are recommended?

.) One thing, i absolutely don't get is the installation itself. The latest i found is FuturePinballSetup_v1.9.1.20101231 on the official homepage. Is that the needed Setup? Which one should be used? You refer to 2.6. I don't want to discuss the "legal issues" of modifiying abandonware or requesting any help for "illegal" FP versions that would "upset" the author if he would ever find out that anyone tried to make his software better. But the latest software i found was 2.5RC2 stating that "older tables" won't work with it, that's why i'm unsure about which version to take as basis. 

.) Can one delete the default tables that come with FP in the table dir?

.) When i load your medieval madness table, my computer is peeping 2 times, like the sound when you press too many buttons for too long... 

.) VP Preferences. What is recommended? Like video settings and stuff... What camera settings should be used in the preferences panel, when BAM is handling the camera view. Does this matter at all?

.) If New renderer 1 is, what should be used by default, is there a way to tell BAM to use it for every table instead of selecting it manually for each table?

EDIT2: 

I've found out, thta when i select "save as default" after selecting New renderer 1 and options, every table starts with New Renderer1 as default.

.) After reading the readme file, i've discovered the "Save for arcade" functionality, which blows a 8 MB File to over 100mb, but increases loading time. It saves a few seconds when on a high speed SSD with SATA 6g, don't know yet if it's worth the increased size on my system, but it might be worth mentioning for those that don't use SSDs.

As far as i understood, BAM loads the required physics (Zed, physics 2.5, 2.6 and so on) from the xml files and the files provided by the tables. If there are no files provided, one has to find out which physics are used and copy on of the corresponding xml files and rename them to the table name.

I followed your guide and your medieval madness table doesn't look like your screenshots. It's brighter, and no bump mapping until New Renderer is activated. i get some "can't load normal / heightmap" errors though i've followed your guide. Still investigating. I'll post an update here when i find out what's missing.

I've copied both the .fpt and the zip file to my table folder and i've copied the cfg file that was in the zip to the cfg folder inside BAM. 

Here's a screenshot of your MM table with NewRenderer1

http://workupload.com/file/Rhgky1gd

Another thing i've noticed, i've downloaded Addams Family Gold 2.5 with zed physics. The table crashed. In the comments they said that one has to enable High quality models for it, so i bumped everything to ultra quality. (which shouldn't be a problem for my Nvidia GTX 760). When i did this, the table didn't crash anymore but the playfield was all black, and the backglass was greyish. Other few tables i've tried ran without problems.

EDIT: Ok, nevermind. With the "latest" FP and max quality. addams family is working. Think that has to do with the RAM restrictions in the "base" version.

But another thing i've noticed is, that the viewport is messed up.

.) When i launch a table with BAM, the flippers are hidden by the apron. When i press q, it gets corrected, but on most tables, the table is too small and doesn't fill out the screen... 

Pictures say more than 1000 words:

http://workupload.com/file/uDYwf8vU

Ok, sry, i know that are a LOT of questions, but now you can see how difficult it is for a noob to set up FP. (Setting up VP was way easier :P)

Edited by Talantyyr, 30 May 2015 - 09:49 AM.

Check out my cabinet build log: http://virtual-pinball.blogspot.co.at/

#13 hmueck

hmueck

MaX

• VIP
  • 2,189 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: IPDB Top 300

Contributor

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:33 AM

(Setting up VP was way easier :P)

No, it wasn't! :)
VP installer, VP minimal setup, ultravp, db2s server, vpinmame, different VP versions for tables, roms, ... ;)
VPX0beta tables: 29cff786951ed9c1a70fc1fa47f5e3c1.png 0cecd68ffa2537a7262337834a05bbbe.png Finish them if you like!

#14 Talantyyr

Talantyyr

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:51 AM

At least it was more straight forward, i had that setup working perfectly within two hours ^^

Downloading the tables / roms took me ages, but that's a different story :P

And i have to mention that i haven't tried setting up the dmd monitor now, and i have never heard of ultravp :D

More things to investigate... 

Edit: Ah, ultravp is the b2s pendant, so i won't need that 

Edited by Talantyyr, 30 May 2015 - 09:53 AM.

#15 pincade

pincade

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 04:39 PM

Ok I'll add all detailed instructions but not now since I'm out for work... In the mean time check ravarcade official website, you can find many precious tips

#16 Talantyyr

Talantyyr

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:31 AM

hey pincade,

i've messed around with FP and BAM a lot now, but i can't get your MM to look as good as in the screenshot :(

I get some errors with your table. (see screenshot)

I use the latest BAM version and tried with the official FP + FP2.5RC2. Both same behaviour.  I've copied both the mm-cabinet fpt and zip file to the tables and the settings file to BAM folder.

Sometimes FP crashes when loading a table (initializing playfield objects), with the message "Future pinball stopped responding" but most of the time it's working. 

Edit: It seems that only happens when FP isn't closed after playing. This also happens when the table is loaded a second time after quitting (but not exiting FP). Guess that doesn't matter as Pinball X will quit FP afterwards.

Something i don't understand about physics... Some tables have physic ZIP files included. Others don't. When a table is, for example for Physics 1.0 the default xml will be loaded and everythings fine. What happens when a table that has no zip file included is made for Physics 2.5 ? When i press q it says that default xml is loaded. Do i have to copy some physics 2.5 files somewhere?

Btw, not all table fit the screen as you can see on the screenshot. Do i have to adjust that manually in "Table & Lighting" settings? Theres table scale / translation" or should that work out of the box? It's working perfectly for some tables like alien legacy...

If you want i could set up teamviewer. Just drop me a PM if you like.Your help is greatly appreciated!

Screenshot:

http://mars.workuplo.../image/SnLLGQQH

Edited by Talantyyr, 04 June 2015 - 08:41 AM.

#17 pincade

pincade

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 12:19 PM

hey pincade,

i've messed around with FP and BAM a lot now, but i can't get your MM to look as good as in the screenshot :(

When you downloaded the table, inside the zip there where 1 folder called "Future Pinball"

inside this folder there are all the files needed and even the pre-configured  graphics\BAM settings

you probably didn't followed instructions, so that's what you have to do:

If you have Future Pinball installed on "C:\Games\Future Pinball",

• Open the zip you downloaded
  • Grab the Future Pinball folder (ignore the INSTRUCTIONS.txt)
  • Drag the entire folder into C:\Games and Overwrite all when requested

Doing this correctly as described gives you all the files placed in their folders

-

#18 dyopp21

dyopp21

Pinball Badass

• Platinum Supporter
  • 503 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Firepower

• PS3 Gamer Tag: dyopp21

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:50 AM

Thanks for this guide!  Awesome stuff.

Virtual Pinball: see one, do one, TEACH ONE.

2qszd43.png

#19 wanab

wanab

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Elvira

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:14 AM

Sweet TY Pincade !!

#20 pincade