#1 rosve

rosve

:)

• VIP
  • 1,179 posts

• Flag: Sweden

• Favorite Pinball: Funhouse, Faces, Starship Troopers

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

Here is my new WIP. This time it's a little different, I'm not building it in VP but as a real pinball machine.
I have the layout ready and a good idea of the rule set.
The theme will be GYRUSS and the style is early 80's SS, easier to build than a later pin (but if this turns out ok my next build will be a 90's style machine).

This build will most likely progress very slowly as it's quite costly to build a real pin from scratch.

Some pictures to give you an idea of what I'm doing,

Rough Layout

Same Layout, this time with a test image for the pf (not final).

The layout is copied onto the playfield prototype.

Starting with the metal lanes first.

#2 The Loafer

The Loafer

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,468 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Superman, Firepower & Tron

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:45 PM

Holy cow, Gyruss is one of my fav old classic shooters and the only shooter the wife ever played. Will be interesting to see your take on this Rog, good luck with it and thanks for sharing these pics.

#3 Shooby Doo

Shooby Doo

Pinball Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Fathom

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:43 PM

That is awesome! Please keep us updated with your progress. I'm guessing it will be controlled by a computer?

#4 zoltar420

zoltar420

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

• Favorite Pinball: All of them!

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:25 PM

Very cool project, cannot wait to see the progress! dblthumb.gif

#5 KEG

KEG

Virtual Pinball Fan

• Charter Member
  • 687 posts

• Favorite Pinball: PINBOT

• PS3 Gamer Tag: The_Real_KEG
  • 360 Gamer Tag: KEG

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:28 PM

Rosve is going all "Ben Heck" with this build. Looks great man. looking forward to see this progress further.

#6 kruge99

kruge99

Pinball Wizard

• VPF Staff
  • 3,901 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Black Knight, High Speed and Pin*Bot

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:40 PM

QUOTE (KEG @ Jun 12 2012, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rosve is going all "Ben Heck" with this build. Looks great man. looking forward to see this progress further.

Don't forget that Ben Heck and John Popadiuk are working together now! dblthumb.gif

Best Regards,
Todd.
[proud owner of a Williams Solar Fire]

- It's called "The American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it.
George Carlin
- Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
Henrik Tikkanen
- "Reality check, Michelle, Talk about composure, Total lack of. He's a man-- About-- 12 Feet Tall--"
Carrie Kelly
Posted Image

#7 Sabbat

Sabbat

The Pinball Monk

• VIP
  • 4,506 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Solar Ride, Centaur, Gorgar, Cyclopes, Fathom, Frontier, ElviraATPM, Atlantis, Hang Glider, Mystic, Old Chicago, Ed/Gordon Gottliebs

• PS3 Gamer Tag: SabbatM
  • 360 Gamer Tag: Mions Hill

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:32 AM

love Gyruss, going to be great
If you have a widescreen 16:9 monitor and want to play your VP9 desktop tables without them being stretched, check out This Link

#8 StevOz

StevOz

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 1,718 posts

• Flag: Australia

• Favorite Pinball: Scared Stiff

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:05 AM

Hey I made one of those it's an old VP8 table. A real one, now that's going to be interesting, looking forward to seeing more of this project, rocking game.

Edited by StevOz, 13 June 2012 - 01:07 AM.

Files I have uploaded here...

http://www.vpforums....ownloads&mid=34

logoshort.gif

#9 Lynny

Lynny

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 130 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Target Alpha, Evel Knievel, Creature From The Black Lagoon, 8 Ball Deluxe

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (StevOz @ Jun 12 2012, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey I made one of those it's an old VP8 table. A real one, now that's going to be interesting, looking forward to seeing more of this project, rocking game.

Rosve,

Build looks wicked, I'm going to build a tabletop/coffee table real machine, and its nice to see how the VP transfers over..I'm going to build it in VP first.
Are you using a specific SS board as your controller? I disassembled an old Wico Big Top I had in the garage. I figure if I want to add more "stuff" I can just wire it into an appropriate scoring area..I have an old Close Encounters beater, that could lose a few bits for the cause...I bought it, hoping the boards were all there..it was going to be my controller..sadly, none were there.
I understand the slow going, aspect of it... lol...still, I look forward to seeing your progress..

SteveOz,

Nice looking table..going to have to convert it over to FS, and give it a whirl on my pincab..see how she flies...look like fun..
those drop downs on the left look like they could be tough.. smile.gif

Peace,
Lynny

Peace,
Lynny

#10 rosve

rosve

• VIP
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (Lynny @ Jun 13 2012, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rosve,

Build looks wicked, I'm going to build a tabletop/coffee table real machine, and its nice to see how the VP transfers over..I'm going to build it in VP first.
Are you using a specific SS board as your controller? I disassembled an old Wico Big Top I had in the garage. I figure if I want to add more "stuff" I can just wire it into an appropriate scoring area..I have an old Close Encounters beater, that could lose a few bits for the cause...I bought it, hoping the boards were all there..it was going to be my controller..sadly, none were there.
I understand the slow going, aspect of it... lol...still, I look forward to seeing your progress..

SteveOz,

Nice looking table..going to have to convert it over to FS, and give it a whirl on my pincab..see how she flies...look like fun..

Peace,
Lynny

I'll be using a PC with a digital I/O board to control the table. The programming will be made in Visual Studio (C# or VB, haven't decided yet).
For the backbox I'm thinking of using an LCD display with a B2S backglass.

#11 Lynny

Lynny

Enthusiast

• Platinum Supporter
  • 130 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Target Alpha, Evel Knievel, Creature From The Black Lagoon, 8 Ball Deluxe

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE (rosve @ Jun 13 2012, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rosve,

SteveOz,

Peace,
Lynny

I'll be using a PC with a digital I/O board to control the table. The programming will be made in Visual Studio (C# or VB, haven't decided yet).

Interesting. What type of PC specs do you need for that type of build? I could do something like that and not have to worry about the cheesy SS circuitry of my old big top. What type of IO board? What type of cost? Mine will be in a small cocktail profile cab, so I wont need a backglass, but that is a clever idea..If you get tired of it, you could always switch it up..

Peace,
Lynny

Peace,
Lynny

#12 CaptainNeo

CaptainNeo

Pinball Fan

• Platinum Supporter
  • 782 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Cirqus Voltaire

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:44 AM

it's going to be a fun project. It's a ton of work making a machine from scratch. Just doing a playfield transfer to an NOS one that's dimpled is a PIA. Good luck on this venture. To make things a little easier, You could figure out what kind of rule set you want to have, then use those roms for your game, but you can configure the shots and switches however you want, to make it a totally new game. Say you used fathom roms, and instead of the bonus multipliers be drop targets, with teh saucer, you could use those switches somewhere else, but still able to use the same roms. Would save you a lot of work, and you can just get a chip made of the game you want to use. John wart burns chips for $4 of whatever you need.

smile.gif
neo

Visit my site, www.pinballrestorations.com for Pinball Playfield restoration services.
VP FS Wishlist {SafeCracker, Atlantis (redo), Defender, Arena, Champion Pub, Pinball Circus}

#13 rosve

rosve

• VIP
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE (Lynny @ Jun 14 2012, 03:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (rosve @ Jun 13 2012, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rosve,

SteveOz,

Peace,
Lynny

Interesting. What type of PC specs do you need for that type of build? I could do something like that and not have to worry about the cheesy SS circuitry of my old big top. What type of IO board? What type of cost? Mine will be in a small cocktail profile cab, so I wont need a backglass, but that is a clever idea..If you get tired of it, you could always switch it up..

Peace,
Lynny

I have not yet decided witch hardware to use, I have two options.
1, Use the Advantec I/O board that has been collecting dust for a couple of years in my office.
2, An I-Pac for inputs and a Led-Wiz for the outputs, this is the simple solution that should work without much effort.

QUOTE (CaptainNeo @ Jun 14 2012, 03:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it's going to be a fun project. It's a ton of work making a machine from scratch. Just doing a playfield transfer to an NOS one that's dimpled is a PIA. Good luck on this venture. To make things a little easier, You could figure out what kind of rule set you want to have, then use those roms for your game, but you can configure the shots and switches however you want, to make it a totally new game. Say you used fathom roms, and instead of the bonus multipliers be drop targets, with teh saucer, you could use those switches somewhere else, but still able to use the same roms. Would save you a lot of work, and you can just get a chip made of the game you want to use. John wart burns chips for $4 of whatever you need.

smile.gif
neo

The rule set is 90% ready. To actually implement the rules is the simple part of it. I don't know why I should complicate thing by trying to use the rule set from another machine.

#14 rosve

rosve

• VIP
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

Did what I could on the playfield while waiting for more parts to be delivered, not much will happen for a week now.
I'm gonna write down the rules so I can remember later on smile.gif.

I have an idea that the center loop could be replaced by a ramp. I have a couple of days to try that out before I have to decide.

Seems to be a lot of Gyruss going on right now smile.gif I can never get too much, in fact I think I'm gonna fire up my arcade cab and play some real Gyruss to night.

Edited by rosve, 14 June 2012 - 05:49 PM.

#15 Sabbat

Sabbat

The Pinball Monk

• VIP
  • 4,506 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Solar Ride, Centaur, Gorgar, Cyclopes, Fathom, Frontier, ElviraATPM, Atlantis, Hang Glider, Mystic, Old Chicago, Ed/Gordon Gottliebs

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

if you have a GBA emulator fire up Konami Arcade Collection. If you enter the Konami code on Gyruss (UUDDLRLRBAstart) you get an all new version of the game with 16bit style graphics that hasnt been included in any other port.
If you have a widescreen 16:9 monitor and want to play your VP9 desktop tables without them being stretched, check out This Link

#16 rosve

rosve

• VIP
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE (Sabbat @ Jun 14 2012, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if you have a GBA emulator fire up Konami Arcade Collection. If you enter the Konami code on Gyruss (UUDDLRLRBAstart) you get an all new version of the game with 16bit style graphics that hasnt been included in any other port.

No, I prefer playing the real thing. it is not possible to improve on the original Gyruss.

#17 Sabbat

Sabbat

The Pinball Monk

• VIP
  • 4,506 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (rosve @ Jun 14 2012, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Sabbat @ Jun 14 2012, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I prefer playing the real thing. it is not possible to improve on the original Gyruss.

lol, i like the original too. I am just saying try it out smile.gif

#18 rosve

rosve

• VIP
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

I made a quick prototype center ramp today, works great. I really want to add the ramp so I guess the center loop has to go.

Please don't comment on how the ramp looks, as I said it's only a prototype. I will have the real parts made with a laser cutter.
Ramp test

#19 kruge99

kruge99

Pinball Wizard

• VPF Staff
  • 3,901 posts

• Flag: Canada

• Favorite Pinball: Black Knight, High Speed and Pin*Bot

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (rosve @ Jun 15 2012, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I made a quick prototype center ramp today, works great. I really want to add the ramp so I guess the center loop has to go.

Please don't comment on how the ramp looks, as I said it's only a prototype. I will have the real parts made with a laser cutter.
Ramp test

Maybe look at finding a Road Kings ramp - it has something similar you might be able to re-purpose! dblthumb.gif
(Don't scrap a working game, I mean maybe a replacement part will show up on ebay or something.)

Best Regards,
Todd.

[proud owner of a Williams Solar Fire]

- It's called "The American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it.
George Carlin
- Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
Henrik Tikkanen
- "Reality check, Michelle, Talk about composure, Total lack of. He's a man-- About-- 12 Feet Tall--"
Carrie Kelly
Posted Image

#20 rosve

rosve

• VIP
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (kruge99 @ Jun 16 2012, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (rosve @ Jun 15 2012, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ramp test

Maybe look at finding a Road Kings ramp - it has something similar you might be able to re-purpose! dblthumb.gif
(Don't scrap a working game, I mean maybe a replacement part will show up on ebay or something.)

Best Regards,
Todd.

Nah, that would take the fun of actually building it myself away.
The ramp, when ready, will look like a guruss fighter ship.
It has improved a bit since yesterday,