20 replies to this topic

#1 007

Shaken, not stirred.

• Platinum Supporter
  • 992 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: EM:s

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:14 AM

Has anybody been able to get this running on XP?

It installs from the CD, but the game itself won't run.
I've tried all compatibility settings, and it either plays the intro "video" the crashes, or crashes immediately.

Edited by 7, 07 October 2011 - 07:18 AM.

One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief. Afraid it's me. Sorry about that, old boy.

#2 robert kundrat

robert kundrat

Enthusiast

• VIP
  • 258 posts

• Flag: Hungary

• Favorite Pinball: Attack From Mars

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:01 PM

I can play with that on fresh installed XP only. I can't find out what is the problem with it.

I'm still  here!

#3 rob046

rob046

Often Emulated, Never Duplicated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: 8 Ball Deluxe, ToM, & Funhouse

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:09 PM

I play it on win 7 x64. It needed tweaked though. It suffered from the problems that most old games do, which is that they default with too low of a color depth, like 8 bit. So once you get into the menu & can just set it to 16 or 24 bit color, all is well.
What I did is just go into the config file, set the menu interface to load up at 16 bit, now no more glitch or crash. I've done this for numerous old pinball games.
Remember these old, near DOS era games had to default at 8 bit. These days windows 7 is just too far along to be able to easily handle such a low color depth. BUT THERE ARE ALWAYS FIXES! I rarely run into an old pin game I can't get playing one way or another.

Edited by rob046, 07 October 2011 - 09:32 PM.

#4 rob046

rob046

Often Emulated, Never Duplicated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

• Favorite Pinball: 8 Ball Deluxe, ToM, & Funhouse

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:30 PM

Put this options.dat into your ARABIAN/gamesave folder (overwrite the old one). This one has all games & the front end maxed out at 1280x1024 rez, & 16 bit color (max).
Just gave BR & CFTBL a quick play, this game holds up damn well for being a decade old!
People often complained about bad physics for these games, but I don't really agree with that. Physics aren't bad. Maybe there are some slight game inacccuracies, but overall these are a pretty solid play, & where else will you get 3D versions of BR & CFTBL & LW that look this good? Nowhere.
This game still worth having.

Also remember that slope & difficulty can be adjusted, some people may find the defaults too slow.
Btw, I've had to do this same fix for other games by this company. Like all the "Pinball Mania" games, which also have some good, underrated original pins (those games are setup the same as williams, so I think you can use this same options.dat for those). Oh, also "The Tomb", very cool game. This pack I got also came with judge dredd, Avengers, Roswell, & world league pinball. All these games about a decade old now but I always have them on hand.

I wish I could just upload all these games with my fixes & settings, they can be fired up any time, don't even need installed. Maybe I could, cuz I'm not sure any of these are truly for sale anymore & the company is long gone.
EDIT: I forget if this options.dat might contain my other settings, like keys. So check those, set them as you want. Once you do this & when you exit the game, do what I did & save the newly updated options.dat, in case you need to install the game again in the future, you can toss in this options.dat & avoid these headaches.

Attached Files

Edited by rob046, 07 October 2011 - 09:33 PM.

#5 hassanchop

hassanchop

The Crapmaster!

• VIP
  • 786 posts

• Flag: Portugal

• Favorite Pinball: Royal Flush Supreme

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:14 PM

that pc version is a little too old. the only good part is that it runs on a weaker pc.

try that game's version on ps3 or xbox 360.... those are great games!
Posted Image

#6 s1500

s1500

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Fun House

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:45 AM

Where can I find more about this game? Google & even mobygames gave me zip about this compilation.

#7 007

Shaken, not stirred.

• Platinum Supporter
  • 992 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:56 AM

Thank you very much, Rob046!

That worked like a charm.

otvclap.gif good.gif

One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief. Afraid it's me. Sorry about that, old boy.

#8 007

Shaken, not stirred.

• Platinum Supporter
  • 992 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:39 AM

QUOTE (s1500 @ Oct 8 2011, 01:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where can I find more about this game? Google & even mobygames gave me zip about this compilation.
think.gif

http://www.gamespot....sics/index.html

#9 cubbieblue312

cubbieblue312

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Chicago Cubs Triple Play

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (rob046 @ Oct 7 2011, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I play it on win 7 x64. It needed tweaked though. It suffered from the problems that most old games do, which is that they default with too low of a color depth, like 8 bit. So once you get into the menu & can just set it to 16 or 24 bit color, all is well.
What I did is just go into the config file, set the menu interface to load up at 16 bit, now no more glitch or crash. I've done this for numerous old pinball games.
Remember these old, near DOS era games had to default at 8 bit. These days windows 7 is just too far along to be able to easily handle such a low color depth. BUT THERE ARE ALWAYS FIXES! I rarely run into an old pin game I can't get playing one way or another.

Hmmmm. I still seem to be having some problems install this game on some newer PC's. I have it running on a nice big older Toshiba 17" laptop/desktop replacement with XP Pro SP3 running an Intel P4-3.4Ghz processor and a 1440x900 resolution graphics card with 128MB Video RAM just fine. When ever I install it on a newer PC it installs fine but always bombs out when I try to run it. The beginning .AVIs seem to run but it never makes it to the game. I also seem to recall a replacement pinball2.exe that had some graphics bug fixes that used to seem to help but not anymore. Also, your suggestion to add the options.dat in the proper directory structure didn't do the trick either for I didn't have an original there to begin with. Any suggestions??? Once the game installs properly it is a lot of fun......Thanks!!!

#10 Sabbat

Sabbat

The Pinball Monk

• VIP
  • 4,506 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Solar Ride, Centaur, Gorgar, Cyclopes, Fathom, Frontier, ElviraATPM, Atlantis, Hang Glider, Mystic, Old Chicago, Ed/Gordon Gottliebs

• PS3 Gamer Tag: SabbatM
  • 360 Gamer Tag: Mions Hill

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:38 PM

that looks cool, i haven't heard of this game. LOL @ them taking the bally logo off of Lost World and replacing it with a Williams one in a weird spot smile.gif
If you have a widescreen 16:9 monitor and want to play your VP9 desktop tables without them being stretched, check out This Link

#11 kristian

kristian

Enthusiast

• VIP
  • 416 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Alien Poker

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

It looks nice but the physics are absolutely TERRIBLE.

Don't waste your time and energy with it.

#12 Ikol

Ikol

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• Flag: Peru

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:15 PM

Try patch:
http://www.mediafire.../?e70xi76vujfj6

enjoy the game

#13 jamnjim

jamnjim

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Favorite Pinball: Tales Of The Arabian Nights

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:48 PM

Thanks for the .dat download Rob046! I had this game tucked away, installed into my Windows 7 PC added the .dat file and it runs and looks great! Haven't played this in ages. I do run it in windows 98 compatibility though.

#14 Hempman1

Hempman1

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Slick Chick

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

Thanks rob046. Your options DAT file got me back in order. :otvclap: Anyone know how to get rid of those stupid Redoubt scores in the game?

#15 DareSDevil

DareSDevil

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• Flag: France

• Favorite Pinball: Fun house

• PS3 Gamer Tag: namco___

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:26 PM

No problems for me with this one even with win 7 64 bit without the need to set compatibility mode.

The game is more antialiased than the ps3 version it looks more realistic but the speed of the ball is so boring default or hard difficulty settings seems almost the same :/.

Pro pinball , slamit resurection and slamit big score are really the top !

Then come the avengers etc (pinball génération ten) or Tilt who need to be launched in dos box who are not bad.

Edited by DareSDevil, 16 April 2013 - 11:27 PM.

#16 JavaJack

JavaJack

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Diner

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:08 AM

"slamit resurection"? Google isn't finding anything on this. What is it?

#17 htamas

htamas

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 2,157 posts

• Flag: Hungary

• Favorite Pinball: cannot pick just one, and they change anyway

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

I think he means this.

#18 zzlightningzz

zzlightningzz

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• Favorite Pinball: timeshock

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

thanks rob046!!

was wondering why I could play it before on win xp and then it wouldn't work..

thanks works great :)

#19 shadolis

shadolis

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Space Cadet

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

Anyone have any luck on Win 8.1? If anyone has this working, can you make a options.dat to support 1024x768 or 1280x800?

#20 AndersL

AndersL

Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

• Flag: Norway

• Favorite Pinball: BK 2000/Elvira and the partymonsters/BOP/Indianapolis 500/Roadshow/Fishtales

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:33 PM

Anyone have any luck on Win 8.1? If anyone has this working, can you make a options.dat to support 1024x768 or 1280x800?

Why don't you just download the Pinball Arcade instead? Same developer , same tables (even the one PS3/Axebox exclusive), and far better physics...

Edited by AndersL, 17 September 2014 - 11:34 PM.